Live and life from Nieuw Amsterdam's third Alaska sailing

Copper10-8

What was anyone's experience with when they got their boarding pass with the boarding time and group on it?  Mine came up yesterday for 9/4 cruise, but without the group and time.  Do you get it after you complete the health questionnaire 3 days out, or?  Thank you for any info.

And thanks so much for posting the great pictures and info. 

Tuesday we booked 9/4 and 9/11 cruises, back-to-back, so I haven't been reading info the last couple of days. 

Can't wait to go; thanks for all the info you've all provided.

Glacier Bay National Park & Icy Strait Point, AK

So after departing Juneau Monday night, Capt. Baijens reversed his course from the morning and sailed down Gastineau Channel and around the tip big Admiralty Island. Then up Chatham Strait, turning into Icy Strait (thus named when the entire Glacier By was a glacier with its calving ice drifting via this “icy strait” into the open sea)

From here, it was a straight shot on a north-westerly course, passing Pleasant Island on our starboard side, to Point Gustavus where, off Bartlett Cove, we had a 0645 hrs. appointment to pick up two National Park Service Rangers (Matt and Becca), as well as a native (Tlingit) interpreter (David).

The National Park regulations allow for two large cruise ships in the Bay and they are required to have park rangers on board. They are on board both for the education of the guests, as well for ensuring that the ships keep to the rules of the road and do not go sightseeing where it is not allowed.

It was a pretty misty and overcast day as we proceeded northbound into Glacier Bay proper, passing Strawberry Island, Willoughby Island, Francis Island and Drake Island and the schedule had us passing Queen Inlet by 0800 hrs. While this was happenin,' we had our leisurely brekkie in the Pinnacle (Greek yoghurt for both, a vegetable/vegetarian skillet for Maria and oatmeal for moi) Next up was our first look at Lamplugh Glacier (#9 pic) at 0930 hrs. Lamplugh is eight miles long and is named for English geologist George William Lamplugh who visited Glacier Bay in 1884. Thirty minutes later, we were at Johns Hopkins inlet which we would by-pass on our way to Tarr Inlet and Margerie Glacier, arriving there around 1115 hrs. It was time for "Erwten soep" aka Dutch Split Peal soup. There was one small expedition ship in the bay. 

The way it works under park rules and regulations, the S/E Alaska pilot (remember, still onboard since Kake, before Juneau, and until Ketchikan) brings the ship close-in to the glacier and, once in position and stopped, the ship’s captain then takes over to conduct his “balcony maneuver;” basically a full swing ensuring that both port and starboard balconies get the same amount of time facing the glacier.

After spending about 40 minutes plus in front of Margerie, Nieuw A backtracked her course back into Glacier Bay and to Bartlett Cove where the rangers and Alaskan native interpreter were picked up by the National Parks boat and taken back to Park HQ.

Nieuw A then took off for Icy Strait Point, our next stop with an ETA of around 6:00 PM. 

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4754.JPG

IMG_4755.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

Alaska-Cruise-map.jpg

IMG_4757.JPG

IMG_4759 (2).JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

@Copper10-8, a quick, hopefully easily answered question for you....

Are there any 11 and under (obviously unvaccinated) children on board that you know of?  We are booked in December on NA and have an under 12 child also booked and are hearing now that he will not be allowed to sail from a non-HAL source.

Per staff, there are no juveniles under 12 onboard. We have seen teens 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Himself said:

Very good pictures of Glacier Bay, my favorite stop in Alaska.

I see you are docked at berth one today. The last two she was docked at berth 4.

We are lucky to be at berth #1 which makes a lot of places reachable/within walking distance. We are scheduled for a 11:00 AM DUKW (the six-wheel-drive amphibious modification of the 2+12-ton CCKW trucks used by the U.S. military during WWII and Korea) tour and then will pick a shoreside  restaurant for lunch to give a little to the local economy

DUKW - Wikipedia

Ketchikan Duck Tour Bus

• Like 23

17 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Hal has a new beef provider and in our opinion better quality.

Progress!  Maybe the surveys we complete and the e-mails/letters that we send have had a positive impact.  The fact that their previous beef provider was a State of Washington company and was "green" probably had an impact on HAL's selection of them.  

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just some observations that have had no impact on our cruise. No daily wine sip and taste, no hot or cold appetizers, just peanuts, no corsage offered in Neptune Suite on Gala night, no fruit in room or card requesting that I have seen. 

Understandable as cruising resumes.  I would expect these amenities to return eventually.

In a prior post, you mentioned that the Tamarind Bar (which will also be the Silk Den Bar in my mind), was your favorite watering hole.  For a quiet, pre-dinner drink, it's a great venue, I agree.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Last night we ate at Rudi’s pop up Sol De Mar and it was just as good as the full restaurant on Pinnacle Class Ships.

I have never been disappointed at Rudi's Sel de Mer when dining in the stand alone venue or in any of the pop-ups.  Cuisine, wine list, service, ambiance:  all perfect.  

May I ask what your DW and you ordered this evening?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Understandable as cruising resumes.  I would expect these amenities to return eventually.

In a prior post, you mentioned that the Tamarind Bar (which will also be the Silk Den Bar in my mind), was your favorite watering hole.  For a quiet, pre-dinner drink, it's a great venue, I agree.

I have never been disappointed at Rudi's Sel de Mer when dining in the stand alone venue or in any of the pop-ups.  Cuisine, wine list, service, ambiance:  all perfect.  

May I ask what your DW and you ordered this evening?  

I had Dover Sole and Sue had fresh Halibut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

We are booked in December on NA and have an under 12 child also booked and are hearing now that he will not be allowed to sail from a non-HAL source.

HAL has updated their FAQs with this specific question: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

Q: Can children sail, if not vaccinated?

A: Regardless of age, all guests on voyages departing through December 31, 2021 must be fully vaccinated in order to sail. Guests should always ensure they understand all requirements to travel for their home country and the destinations they plan to visit....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

What was anyone's experience with when they got their boarding pass with the boarding time and group on it?  Mine came up yesterday for 9/4 cruise, but without the group and time.  Do you get it after you complete the health questionnaire 3 days out, or?  Thank you for any info.

Tuesday we booked 9/4 and 9/11 cruises, back-to-back, so I haven't been reading info the last couple of days. 

We initially, as had the chief, a 1:00 PM boarding time which was changed a couple of days prior to departure to 12 noon/group 1 Regardless, boarding was a breeze incl going through the three "check points"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

We are lucky to be at berth #1 which makes a lot of places reachable/within walking distance. 

The NCL Encore that was in port at Icy Point at their own new dock, well now Encore has a new dock up stream about 3 miles at Ward Cove that was also developed for NCL. Other big ships can use when NCL not in town.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

The sole is out of this world.  My sister, a diehard lobster person, declared it better than lobster.

What a choice!  Dover Sole or Lobster?  How often do I have either?  Lobster is a bit easier to enjoy than is Dover Sole.  That helps to make it just that much more special.  

Tuesday (con't) - Icy Strait Point, AK

Nieuw Amsterdam approached what’s officially known as the Hoonah Cruise Ship dock at around 6:00 PM and passed NCL's Norwegian Eclipse already tied up port side to at ICP's brand new (2019/2020) second cruise ship dock. Due to strong winds, Nieuw A's bridge team had some issues coming alongside, port side to. Being an experienced and tough Dutch seafarer, Capt. JB got it done - was there any doubt? 😉 - and extra lines were used to secure his big ship to the dock.

Not one, but two shore-side gangways were connected to A-Deck by SECO Mohan and his A-Team and the ship was cleared shortly afterwards and Nieuw A's passengers started flowing off by 1900 hrs, quite a few of them intent on trying out world’s largest ZipRider, kayaking, ATV/Jeep riding, hiking, walking, looking for bear, whales, birds and/or fish, taking a look at the old cannery, now a museum, and/or visiting the nearby town of Hoonah itself.

Icy Strait Point brands itself as a privately-owned tourist destination just outside the small village of Hoonah. It is located on Chichagof Island and is named after the nearby Icy Strait. Owned by the Huna Totem Corporation, it is the only privately owned cruise destination in Alaska, as most stops are owned by the cities in which they are located. Huna Totem Corporation is owned by approximately 1,350 Alaskan Natives with aboriginal ties to Hoonah and the Glacier Bay area. Many of them are of the Tlingit people.  

Huna Totem Corporation was established as a part of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act signed into law in 1971. The Act was intended to resolve the long-standing issues surrounding aboriginal land claims in Alaska, as well as to stimulate economic development throughout Alaska.

The corporation purchased the site in 1996, and Icy Strait Point was first opened for cruise ships in 2004, with Royal Caribbean International and its higher-end subsidiary Celebrity Cruises being the two lines to initially make use of it. They would continue to be the main lines there but subsequently; Princess Cruises began making some stops at Icy Point Strait and made it an annual stop. In addition, Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line and Holland America Line began making calls. By 2008, cruise stop business accounted for a quarter of nearby Hoonah's employment, and by 2011, there were some 73 cruise ship visits arriving for the summer season, and by one calculation, the cruise business accounted for more than half the local economy

There was however, only room for one cruise ship at any given time and that ship had to use its tenders to get passengers ashore in Icy Strait Point. In May 2016, a dozen years after Icy Strait Point debuted to cruise passengers, that all changed when a newly constructed 400-foot-long by 50-foot-wide floating dock suitable for cruise ship berthing augmented tendering at Icy Strait Point. The new dock includes dolphins with socketed and rock anchored pilings, floating pontoons, and a trestle and transfer span with associated supports. They use a motorized line boat here. In addition, a 7,000-square foot Welcome/Adventure center and the Duck Point Smokehouse restaurant were added. As stated, a second cruise ship dock, financed in a large part by NCL, was built/added in 2019/2020 just east of the 1st dock . It wasn't used for the first time until last month since, as we all know, there was no 2020 Alaska season.

So, our excursion tonight, "Spasski River Valley Wildlife & Bear Search," was to go and watch coastal brown (grizzly) bears on the nearby Spasski River, where bear sightings occur, but are not guaranteed. After a bit of a hike up the very nice dock ramps, passed the visitor center, and to the bus pickup point, we boarded a nice Blue Bird (think school) bus and met our native Tlingit driver/guide Glen. He proceeded to take us on an approx. 30 min drive through Hoonah to that aforementioned Spasski River. 

Having arrived in the Spasski River valley, we were introduced to another Tlingit native - George - who would act as our "bear safety guard" and was armed with a big old Marlin 45-70 lever action rifle - six rounds, non chambered because George told us "I have plenty of time to rack one in if I need to." George also assured us that he has never had to use his master blaster versus charging bears. Many of us in our group of 36, no doubt thought "hey now, lets keep it that way"

For the next hour and a half, we went on a trek down both a gravel path and man made wooden boardwalks across a muskeg to three separate viewing platforms positioned over the lower Spasski River. Unfortunately for our dapper group, the local bears apparently had advanced knowledge of our pending arrival and were no where in sight. Hey, this isn't a NHL hockey game between the awesome Los Angeles Kings and the lowly Anaheim water fowl, so we knew there is no guarantee of bear sightings. It was very interesting chatting with both Glen and George and learning about life in Hoonah, AK

Glen subsequently drove us back to Icy Strait Point where we re-boarded Nieuw A which promptly took off around 2200 hrs., destination Sitka, AK 

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

3LxhOj_g6BsJll1th1dT_hAGGDl_fawd_3072.png

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4811.JPG

Alaska-Cruise-map.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

We are lucky to be at berth #1 which makes a lot of places reachable/within walking distance. We are scheduled for a 11:00 AM DUKW (the six-wheel-drive amphibious modification of the 2+12-ton CCKW trucks used by the U.S. military during WWII and Korea) tour and then will pick a shoreside  restaurant for lunch to give a little to the local economy

DUKW - Wikipedia

Ketchikan Duck Tour Bus

I have done the Ducks, much to my sister's disapproval. I loved it. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how much it is to upgrade to the Elite beverage? We mainly drink wine & would like an option to some of the not so great offered wines in the signature package. Our last NS sailing , we brought wine and paid the corkage.

8 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We are booked on the August 28th and was able to print boarding passes and luggage tags after checking in.  I just recently got an email with our boarding time and group on it so now will reprint the boarding passes.  Although it really doesn't matter because it's showing up in my Wallet on the Nav App.  We don't do the Health Assessment until August 25th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Thanks for all the updates Copper John! If you have a minute can you let me know who the officers are that I would invite to our Meet and Greet. We get on as you get off! 

Karen

Will get back to you with that info - Just a tip, please don't believe they are all going to show up for your M&G, especially under the current Covid guidelines

• Like 3

Icy Strait Point (con't)

On the road from ICP, via Hoonah, to Spasski River Valley by Blue Bird bus

Glen, our driver/guide and a Tlingit native

The view from the first of the three man-made platforms overlooking the lower bank of the river

George, our bear protection guide, and also a Tinglit native, with his trusted Marlin 45-70 repeater rifle and one of the six rounds that he loads it with, that he was showing me

The individual standing next to him is one of those "rules don't apply to me" dudes who, while walking to the bus told the guide in no uncertain terms that he would not be wearing a face mask because that's just a "scare tactic."  On the way back to ICP, he had to be instructed by Glen to sit his butt down in his seat while in a moving bus - he got up and walked forward in the aisle because he was determined to tell his bud seated elsewhere, loudly so the entire bus could hear it, that he had given George a $100 tip. Important info for everyone to hear incl. the liberal throwing around of numerous "F-bombs" in that same bus - Lovely guy! There is always one in the crowd!

The only bear we would see at Spasski River at platform #3 😉 

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4819.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

• Like 20

23 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Copper10-8 I recognize that guy - he was on the same cruise as us a couple of years ago.  It seems his attitude hasn't changed at all; a real blow-hard.  Argh!!!  I can't be bothered with people like him.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

You're kidding me? What a coincidence! I was biting my lip but wound up listening to the child bride who has much more common sense than I will ever have.........;) 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1