Celebrity Now vs Then

crusnbee

I miss the Chandris cruise days. Our ship was a converted ferry of around just 5,000 tonnes.

Now look at what Celebrity has done, All I can see from the old days is a white cross on a blue funnel.

Things ain’t what they used to be!

I would tend to agree with those who say that the ships are nicer, but some of the special extras are no longer there.  I used to like the little palate cleansing sorbet.  I also liked how they would bring out a tray with samples of all the desserts so you could see what you were choosing.  Really miss that breakfast cart in Blu - my  memory is failing for what it was called but I liked being able to create my own bowl of oats and fruits (or just the fruits).  Loved the last night MDR waiters singing and bringing out flaming baked Alaska - cheesy but it always brought a tear to my eye.  I miss the days I could buy a photo for under $20.  I have a number of the old souvenir glasses you could buy with the special drink of the day.  The bags they would give you in your room were way nicer back then - I still have several of the nice canvas bags with real leather handles and zippers we would get sometimes.  I miss all the treats they would give you on reunion cruises - every day there would be a new present on our bed (a nice bag, travel diary, etc.) and we even got one free shore excursion.  

I think what I miss the most is some of the entertainment.  I loved the A Cappella groups that would roam the ship at night.  I really, really miss the live music that would play constantly somewhere between around 5:00 and who knows how late.  On our last several cruises before Covid hit there were times during the early evening in particular where there was literally no live music anywhere.  That's a big, big loss IMHO.  I also miss the Rendezvous lounge on the newer ships - it was a great place to gather and dance before or after dinner.  

Another thing I really miss is the feeling that there was no "class system" on the earlier sailings.  Anyone who booked a cabin - inside to suite - could go to anywhere on the ship and get treated like royalty.  No place was off limits.  There was no red carpet (one thing I particularly hate and refuse to even walk it when I do book a suite).

Been cruising X long, long time (since 1992 and more than 50 cruises so far) and it's still my preferred line, but I guess I miss quite a bit from the good ole days.  Granted, there are some added things I like very much (Silent Disco - woo hoo) but overall sailing Celebrity is not what it used to be.

Edited by phoenix_dream

THEN: Loyalty was the highest priority.

NOW: High margin cruisers are the highest priority.

This shift in priorities happened when LLP became CEO and the old Director of Loyalty left. She told me that there would be a shift in policy and she turned out to be correct. 

The composition of crew has also changed to me. More Asians waiters and stateroom attendants and fewer Europeans. This might be the result of the job market in home countries, but still great service by a wonderful crew.

49 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

++.  I call that hideous thing the Construction Elevator.

Different strokes as they say.  I love the MAGIC CARPET.  Comfy chairs and couches.  The wait staff knew me my my first name there after the first night.  It was my go to night cap spot.  Matter of fact, all the cruise friends met there.  Nothing obstructing our view and a great venue.

I know with my dinners, I could request ice cream after every course if I wanted.  Sorbet was never my thing.

The biggest entertainment from my 2011 Solstice cruise was a Glass Blowing demonstration.  Let me repeat that....watching a glass blower was the top entertainment.  Interesting, but seriously?  

I think tastes have changed.  But, I have never subscribed to the "good ole days".  Remember, people complained about those "Good Old Days" when they were living in the good old days.

I can recall tipping just about everywhere I turned back then.  I wouldn't even have dinner with wine and the sommelier would be there looking for tips at the end of the cruise.  Same for the Maitre'd, even though we had no idea who he was, as we never interface with him.  Sure enough, last day of the cruise, he'd finally make it to our table to make it to our table to "greet" us.  You wanted service?  You paid extra to get good service.

Cruising today is a blast.  I love it.  Plus, I wouldn't want to go back to my first cruise in the '80s compared to what's available now.  30+ years ago, I would never have dreamed what cruising would become.  The changes have been for the better.

Not dismissing anyone's remembrances.  I just prefer today's cruises than I do yesterday's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orator said:

THEN: Loyalty was the highest priority.

NOW: High margin cruisers are the highest priority.

This shift in priorities happened when LLP became CEO and the old Director of Loyalty left. She told me that there would be a shift in policy and she turned out to be correct. 

The composition of crew has also changed to me. More Asians waiters and stateroom attendants and fewer Europeans. This might be the result of the job market in home countries, but still great service by a wonderful crew.

You raise an excellent point and I agree with you completely.  Things changed for the worst for everyone under suite level after LLP took over.  She also values the 30-40ish year olds with money much more than the 50year+ loyal folks who were the ones whose loyalty built the brand.  IMHO there is room for both - reward the loyalty while at the same time making necessary changes to appeal to a new market.  Many of us oldies but goodies have 10-20+ years more of sailing in our futures and don't like to be made to feel like we're being marginalized.  We've gotten enough of that in the workplace!

14 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Different strokes as they say.  I love the MAGIC CARPET.  Comfy chairs and couches.  The wait staff knew me my my first name there after the first night.  It was my go to night cap spot.  Matter of fact, all the cruise friends met there.  Nothing obstructing our view and a great venue.

I know with my dinners, I could request ice cream after every course if I wanted.  Sorbet was never my thing.

The biggest entertainment from my 2011 Solstice cruise was a Glass Blowing demonstration.  Let me repeat that....watching a glass blower was the top entertainment.  Interesting, but seriously?  

I think tastes have changed.  But, I have never subscribed to the "good ole days".  Remember, people complained about those "Good Old Days" when they were living in the good old days.

I can recall tipping just about everywhere I turned back then.  I wouldn't even have dinner with wine and the sommelier would be there looking for tips at the end of the cruise.  Same for the Maitre'd, even though we had no idea who he was, as we never interface with him.  Sure enough, last day of the cruise, he'd finally make it to our table to make it to our table to "greet" us.  You wanted service?  You paid extra to get good service.

Cruising today is a blast.  I love it.  Plus, I wouldn't want to go back to my first cruise in the '80s compared to what's available now.  30+ years ago, I would never have dreamed what cruising would become.  The changes have been for the better.

Not dismissing anyone's remembrances.  I just prefer today's cruises than I do yesterday's.

I tend to agree with your views, I remember spending the last day of the cruise running around with little envelopes of cash tips. The last night's dinner in the MDR would be less populated because the cheapskates who wouldn't tip didn't show up. I much prefer the ships and amenities today than when we started cruising in the 1990's. 

• Like 1

I dont look back on what was, do not find it important to myself, The Past is the Past in general, I look at the product that is now and how it fits me.  Celebrity still is an exceptional product or was when I last sailed in fall of 2019.   Hopefully going in Nov this year, was a B2B but cxled one leg for a 10 day stay at an AI.  I first sailed back in 2001 ish on the Infinity, also did Horizon which was fun.  I love the S class ships, have not tried Edge yet so no opinion there.  The M and S class I find are great ships.  The food is always been good to outstanding ( more outstanding than just good tbh).  Service is still better than other lines I have tried, NCL, Royal, MSC et al.  I enjoy the less packing now with things being more lax overall on Formal nights, it was great fun but its not something missed at all.  I prefer tips going automatically out instead of trying to find people with envelopes overall.  The interaction with crew is always been same for me, super friendly and extremely helpful.  

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I tend to agree with your views, I remember spending the last day of the cruise running around with little envelopes of cash tips. The last night's dinner in the MDR would be less populated because the cheapskates who wouldn't tip didn't show up. I much prefer the ships and amenities today than when we started cruising in the 1990's. 

I forgot to add I do not miss the formal nights.  I wore suits for work for 30 years and the last thing I wanted to do on a vacation was dress up, specially in hot summer cruises. In fact we started cruising on NCL because of their relaxed freestyle cruising in the 2000's, We came back to X and HAL after 2010 when they adopted Country Club casual for dress every night.

• Like 2

Can someone explain the "canned music" complaints? I've always found Celebrity's background music during the day in public spaces to be completely unobtrusive... a very electronic chill sort of vibe. 

Were the ships just completely silent at all times 30 years ago, unless a band was playing?

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You raise an excellent point and I agree with you completely.  Things changed for the worst for everyone under suite level after LLP took over.  She also values the 30-40ish year olds with money much more than the 50year+ loyal folks who were the ones whose loyalty built the brand.  IMHO there is room for both - reward the loyalty while at the same time making necessary changes to appeal to a new market.  Many of us oldies but goodies have 10-20+ years more of sailing in our futures and don't like to be made to feel like we're being marginalized.  We've gotten enough of that in the workplace!

Virtually every other travel experience (airlines and hotels) make the end user re-qualify annually for "perks". The re-qualification standards are pretty high for anything "good".  

Every "better" hotel chain has a concierge/executive lounge that is available only to people staying on that floor or with higher status.  Been like that for years 

Cruise lines are going to concentrate on high margin users as that is where the profit is.  Low margin pax will get perks but it isn't going to be all the things that existed years ago.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tfred said:

Virtually every other travel experience (airlines and hotels) make the end user re-qualify annually for "perks". The re-qualification standards are pretty high for anything "good".  

Every "better" hotel chain has a concierge/executive lounge that is available only to people staying on that floor or with higher status.  Been like that for years 

We have a Hilton Honors Amex Aspire card that provides us the highest loyalty level, Diamond, no matter how many nights you stay at a Hilton hotel. We never lose that level as long as we keep the card. We do try to stay at Hilton properties when we travel. We also get the executive lounge in any Hilton that has one, no matter what room we book, and a free breakfast at any Hilton. Also we get free hotel upgrades if available when we check in. I have gotten upgraded to Presidential suites in a couple of hotels. We also get free night certificates. On top of that we get free access to hundreds of airport first class lounges through Priority Pass. This is one of the best hotel loyalty programs around. The card has a hefty yearly cost but the benefits more than pays for the cost. The couple of free room certificates every year alone pays the cost.

5 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Can someone explain the "canned music" complaints? I've always found Celebrity's background music during the day in public spaces to be completely unobtrusive... a very electronic chill sort of vibe. 

Were the ships just completely silent at all times 30 years ago, unless a band was playing?

Hello, "AstoriaPreppy."

We were not the member that mentioned bad "canned music," but we certainly agreed with the comment -- at least with regard to the Oceanview Cafe.  The music there (in our opinion) has been HORRENDOUS, for the last few years. 

Complaints to the managers (or in post-cruise comments) have been fruitless.  Those who could/should do something about it claim that they are forced by Miami headquarters to play the trash.  And play it they do!  And play it and play it and play it.  The same tracks are played, over and over, throughout the cruise.  If I were a crew member, I would jump overboard (or I'd have to wear ear-plugs at all times).

Not only is there a lot of whining/shrieking by super-high soprano voices, but we have gone through an entire two-week period without even knowing a single song that was played!  One of us is a musician with a very wide familiarity with all kinds of music -- pop, jazz, folk, classical, etc. -- from the 1925 to  1984 period, but not a single track from that sixty-year era was EVER played in the buffet restaurant! 

Everything that was played seemed to be boring or ugly junk that was released in the last ten years.  Every track seemed to be five to seven minutes long, with endless repetitions.   Hmmm ... Are they doing this because they are trying to entertain the (very young) crew, rather than the (middle-aged to elderly) guests?  Are they doing this as part of an overall effort to get rid of older people from all Celebrity cruises?  It has been truly disgusting to us.

AstoriaPreppy, you mentioned having heard music that was "completely unobtrusive... a very electronic chill sort of vibe."  Although that is not our favorite kind of music, we would gladly take it -- if it consists of calm instrumentals -- over the offensive vocals that constitute "noise pollution" in the buffet.

Thanks for asking about this.

• Haha 1

The first time we cruised with Celebrity I was impressed with lots of the little extra touches like a drink on arrival, cold towels, fresh flowers in the cabin, water pitcher etc. Most are still there which is nice. 

For me the food offering in the main dining room is nothing like as good as it was back in the day so we tend to book more speciality dining or a cabin for access for Blu / Luminae.

One thing that has gone is the unusual towels,  they had light pink fluffy towels, face cloths etc one day then light green the next. This was in place for several years in concierge then just disappeared. Not that it makes any difference to the enjoyment of the cruise but it was unusual compared to other lines at the time.