One Adventure After Another, Live Rolling Review Aug 14, 21 and 28

exm

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

exm was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I'll start this thread by introducing myself briefly, and share the plans of our party. Our group consists of myself (dual American/Dutch citizen), my brother (Dutch citizen), my wife and 3 children (5y girl, 7y boy, 10y girl - all American). I'm bringing citizenship into here since our original cruise was the 8/21 Symphony out of Miami, which we selected after our 2020 Oasis out of NJ was cancelled. However, we realized during the earlier part of this year that the travel ban for UK/EU citizens might be a problem. So we ended up booking 2 vacations in parallel: a 2 week Miami trip (AirBnB / Symphony Cruise) and a 2 week Nassau trip (AirBnB / Adventure Cruise). Around the 4th of July we decided to cancel our entire Florida vacation and focus on Nassau. I was a bit bummed since I've never been on an Oasis Class ship, but I've also never been to CocoCay so that helped a lot. Next problem was to find a flight from Amsterdam to Nassau WITHOUT a transfer in the US (nope, can't transfer either with the travel ban). Thank goodness for the British: LHR to the rescue!

So here we are. Ready to fly this Saturday: 5 coming from JFK non-stop, 1 from AMS/LHR. We sneaked the Bahamas Health Visa in just before the test requirements but my brother needs to be tested regardless due to requirements in the UK. We rented a beautiful AirBNB in Nassau (I'll post pictures when we get there), and the owner has been extremely helpful with all kinds of questions that we had. For example, our children need to get tested 5 days after arrival (we don't), but we all need to get tested 3 days prior to boarding anyway. So that's on Wednesday 8/18. Now we need to find a place who accepts the Nassau Gov Test Voucher. No, none of them really do accept this (guys they won't make as much money). Nothings is easy this trip.

Oh, and then there's Fred saying hello. Tropical Storm Fred that is. It looks like we might be okay but you never know.

Anyway, I'll start posting pictures/experiences here. Everyone else who's one or both of these sailing please join the fun!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for starting the thread @exm!!  It’s going to be a fun couple of weeks for all of us.

I’ll add my introduction (the idea behind this thread is for all the great peeps across a couple of cruises to join in and share).  My husband and I are flying from the west coast for the AOS cruise departing on the 21st, with some great friends.  On the 28th, we are doing our first B2B, while our friends head off to some other Adventures back in the States.  

I’m very excited to hear about @exm’s local experiences in Nassau ahead of the cruise, how his airbnb goes, etc., and @internetwhizboarding this Saturday — our title plan unfortunately forgot to include the 14th — my bad on that, sorry, I was multi-tasking too much.  So yes, PLEASE share your sailing as well!!!!  It’s going to be a relay kind of “Live”, lol.

Very much hoping the weather systems don’t interfere with any of us getting to Nassau —all the covid protocol hoops have certainly been enough already, we don’t need weather getting in the way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, internetwhiz said:

Following along. We board this Saturday, August 14.   Do you want me to share things from this coming week that might be of benefit to those sailing Aug 21 and 28?

For sure!

Thanks exm for starting this thread.  The wife and I will be flying in from DC on the 20th and staying at the British Colonial for the night before the cruise.  Unfortunately we will be getting off on the 28th and heading home.  Our last sailing was on Harmony of the Seas in February 2020 just before the cruising industry shut down.  Just met with our TA tonight and got all our documents, COVID test scheduled for next Wednesday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WVHillbilly said:

Thanks exm for starting this thread.  The wife and I will be flying in from DC on the 20th and staying at the British Colonial for the night before the cruise.  Unfortunately we will be getting off on the 28th and heading home.  Our last sailing was on Harmony of the Seas in February 2020 just before the cruising industry shut down.  Just met with our TA tonight and got all our documents, COVID test scheduled for next Wednesday.

Every time you mention going to the TA to pick up documents I flash back to my early days of cruising in the 80s, and the folio with the physical tickets and info about special events onboard (I recall a costume party).  Digital just doesn’t always convey the same level of excitement 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Every time you mention going to the TA to pick up documents I flash back to my early days of cruising in the 80s, and the folio with the physical tickets and info about special events onboard (I recall a costume party).  Digital just doesn’t always convey the same level of excitement 

My TA always tells me I don't need her; as I do much of the stuff myself, thankfully I've never had to call her during my trip because things go wrong but i get some comfort knowing that I can get her help if i need to.  I always print important documents as a back up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You might want to ask mods to throw the 14th into the title. 😉

Otherwise it looks like you're starting 11 days early.

@exm  you might want to ask the mods to change the date, since you started the thread I believe the request has to come from you.

• Like 1

Carol and Cyndi from Georgetown Texas are on our first B2B august 21 & 28. We booked august 21 and decided we might as well stay on board to celebrate my birthday on September 2! What a great birthday gift. We are scheduled for our Covid test august 18 and I will breath a big sigh of relief when negative test results are given! I normally fly in a day early but my TA said flying in same day with Royal Air2sea would be fine since ship does not leave til that night. Fingers crossed. All I know is that once we get on board a large tropical drink will be ordered. So many helpful people on all the Royal blogs have been much appreciated. See y’all soon!

Edited by nich3cats
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, WVHillbilly said:

@exm  you might want to ask the mods to change the date, since you started the thread I believe the request has to come from you.

Please ask the mods to add the 14th to the title. I will be sharing things too,

on the August 14 cruise. Thanks. 

We are Karen and Bill from Conway AR. We fly to Nassau Friday morning, 8/13 for the 8/14 and 8/21 sailing. We are D+ with RC and get our 490 milestone block in this cruise. 

This is our first cruise (s) since February 2020, eighteen months ago.

We were able to finish the Bahamian visa before the August 6 deadline and didn’t have to upload a covid test to get one.

We have no local antigen nor PCR tests that return in time for the three day before window. We went this morning to a PCR testing Lab in Little Rock to be tested (28 mi each way). They guarantee processing and results in under 24 hours. The cost was $100 each. We are also going within the hour to get a rapid test but it’s not a rapid antigen test (but it is a NAAT Test) so if the PCR doesn’t happen to provide results we will have it. That free test is named ID NOW and and might have sufficed, but who knows. 

I’m just ready to get this part behind us, and get in a ship!!

• Like 2

• Host Carolyn changed the title to One Adventure After Another, Live Rolling Review Aug 14, 21 and 28

And... Change of COVID Testing Plan for my party. To summarize, I have 3 vaccinated adults and 3 un-vaccinated children under 12. We already applied for the Health Visa (and got approved) before the recent change so next up will The Bahamas itself.

Originally I thought the children had to get tested because of the Day-5 requirement since they're not vaccinated. Figured to combine this with the RC 3 Day requirement. However, I'm reading this:

https://travel.gov.bs/file/termsAndConditions

DAY-5 OF VISIT/TRIP

STEP 3A INTERNATIONAL NON-VACCINATED TRAVELERS ONLY: All International
Travelers who are NOT VACCINATED and twelve (12) years of age and older (whether
a visitor, Bahamian citizen or returning resident), must take a mandatory Rapid Antigen
Test on Day Five (5) of their visit/trip to The Bahamas.

So that means non of my party needs to be tested on day 5. Why is this important? The Bahamas only offers the test where they go all the way in your nose, and I don't think my 5 year old will tolerate this. In case you're wondering, if this is required in the Hilton while boarding: I'll figure it out at that point.

So I'm getting a self test kit purchased here that I will administer in our AirBnB with video supervision. The blog who can't be named actually lists this test. A much better option. Ordered this with overnight shipping for Friday's departure.

Edited by exm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exm said:

And... Change of COVID Testing Plan for my party. To summarize, I have 3 vaccinated adults and 3 un-vaccinated children under 12. We already applied for the Health Visa (and got approved) before the recent change so next up will The Bahamas itself.

Originally I thought the children had to get tested because of the Day-5 requirement since they're not vaccinated. Figured to combine this with the RC 3 Day requirement. However, I'm reading this:

https://travel.gov.bs/file/termsAndConditions

DAY-5 OF VISIT/TRIP

STEP 3A INTERNATIONAL NON-VACCINATED TRAVELERS ONLY: All International
Travelers who are NOT VACCINATED and twelve (12) years of age and older (whether
a visitor, Bahamian citizen or returning resident), must take a mandatory Rapid Antigen
Test on Day Five (5) of their visit/trip to The Bahamas.

So that means non of my party needs to be tested on day 5. Why is this important? The Bahamas only offers the test where they go all the way in your nose, and I don't think my 5 year old will tolerate this. In case you're wondering, if this is required in the Hilton while boarding: I'll figure it out at that point.

So I'm getting a self test kit purchased here that I will administer in our AirBnB with video supervision. The blog who can't be named actually lists this test. A much better option. Ordered this with overnight shipping for Friday's departure.

Give yourself plenty of time for the proctoring! I would be interested to hear your experience with the home testing. We almost purchased and then saw the below article. Hopefully will be a non-issue for your crew!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/long-wait-times-binax-now-at-home-covid-test/

Appreciate the heads-up and I will keep everyone posted with my findings.

Can I throw in one more thing… my father-in-law has been in hospice for months, not doing well and it’s better for everyone if he goes to a better place. It seems that it might happen soon. Unreal.

And yes, Friday is the 13th. Weird times.

Few notes about Fred. For those who are arriving on Friday, I'm hoping that your flights won't be impacted. It looks like Nassau will get the most impact on that day, Saturday looks okay so I don't see any issues for Adventure departing that day.

ScreenHunter 33.jpg

ScreenHunter 35.jpg

14 hours ago, exm said:

Sorry to hear about your FIL. I have faith everything will work out just fine. Have a great trip. I look forward to hearing more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, exm said:

Appreciate the heads-up and I will keep everyone posted with my findings.

Can I throw in one more thing… my father-in-law has been in hospice for months, not doing well and it’s better for everyone if he goes to a better place. It seems that it might happen soon. Unreal.

I’m so sorry to hear that. We’ve lost all of ours.  It’s hard.