Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services

MTtraveler

2 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Do the tests have an expiration date? We will be cruising the end of September 2021 and next April, August, and October of 2022. If we get the 6 pack, can we hold on to them until next year and still have them be valid?- as well as having extras for both of us if a test kit is bad?

They are good until Feb 2022 right now

Our health department distributes these kits for free. I went and picked mine up today. Now the question I have is …. What is this “prescription” needed that I’ve been reading on this post? I don’t have a prescription but I have these kits in my hand. Please advise. 

600AAA82-E2FA-4C21-A117-F183B4F99F21.jpeg

1 hour ago, debnrick said:

Our health department distributes these kits for free. I went and picked mine up today. Now the question I have is …. What is this “prescription” needed that I’ve been reading on this post? I don’t have a prescription but I have these kits in my hand. Please advise. 

No prescription needed if you already got this test from your health department. 

2 hours ago, debnrick said:

Your actual test "MUST" be done under the eye of a certified health person that can verify for you with some form of a negative result printed or scanned code.  That's why it states "Do Not Open Until Instructed To Do So" or it will be considered invalid.  Not sure who would do this for you other than where you got it from (your Health Department?).  The ones that you buy online are set up to do with a teldoc or telmed person and put into their system (how actually IDK). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 99florida said:

Your actual test "MUST" be done under the eye of a certified health person that can verify for you with some form of a negative result printed or scanned code.  That's why it states "Do Not Open Until Instructed To Do So" or it will be considered invalid.  Not sure who would do this for you other than where you got it from (your Health Department?).  The ones that you buy online are set up to do with a teldoc or telmed person and put into their system (how actually IDK). 

The box says to download the Navica app. That is the BinaxNOW "home test " that includes proctoring from eMed vs. the BinaxNOW "self test" which is do it yourself.

I ordered the 6 pack from eMed yesterday and got them today. I went ahead and did one and it was very easy as they walk you through it all. You'll need to download the Navica app and create an account. I also went thru their website to start the telehealth visit and my wait time to speak with the proctor was under five minutes. After they walk you through the process, you then have to wait 15 minutes for the test to result and then you speak with someone who can go over your results with you. Altogether I spent less than 30 minutes doing this. The results do show up on your app along with the QR code and the necessary information that Carnival is looking for. You may also print out your results as well but I didn't do that today. Although these new rules gave my some new stress, I am definitely looking forward to cruising again in 3 weeks! Hope this helps.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, debnrick said:

I got the same ones from my health department here in Ohio. They are identical to the ones you can buy direct through emed. We also use these for work, when the state purchased them they pre-paid for the same proctored service. 

Just download the app or go to emed.com when you are ready to test. Nothing special you need to do. It’s the same exact service. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

Do the tests have an expiration date? We will be cruising the end of September 2021 and next April, August, and October of 2022. If we get the 6 pack, can we hold on to them until next year and still have them be valid?- as well as having extras for both of us if a test kit is bad?

EUA is ending for some PCR tests. May want to hold off on getting a bunch stockpiled in case things change for antigen tests too-suspect FDA is going to require all test kits go for full approval eventually 

Edited by monykalyn

Thank you grumpyjr for the info.  Our next cruise isn’t until February 28, 2022 so a lot can change by then.  But this would give me an excuse to buy a laptop with a built in camera.  I do have an iPhone X but a laptop seems like it would be easier.  

5 minutes ago, EMS8 said:

Thank you grumpyjr for the info.  Our next cruise isn’t until February 28, 2022 so a lot can change by then.  But this would give me an excuse to buy a laptop with a built in camera.  I do have an iPhone X but a laptop seems like it would be easier.  

I'm happy to help you spend money on fun things. 😂

On 9/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, debnrick said:

The over the counter version of this product does not include a telehealth session to monitor taking the test. The Rx version does. I don't know about Carnival, but other cruise lines are specifically NOT honoring the unmonitored home test.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, Detroit97 said:

I ordered the 6 pack from eMed yesterday and got them today. I went ahead and did one and it was very easy as they walk you through it all. You'll need to download the Navica app and create an account. I also went thru their website to start the telehealth visit and my wait time to speak with the proctor was under five minutes. After they walk you through the process, you then have to wait 15 minutes for the test to result and then you speak with someone who can go over your results with you. Altogether I spent less than 30 minutes doing this. The results do show up on your app along with the QR code and the necessary information that Carnival is looking for. You may also print out your results as well but I didn't do that today. Although these new rules gave my some new stress, I am definitely looking forward to cruising again in 3 weeks! Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing this!! We are planning to do the same and I am glad to hear from another person how easy it is to do!!😁😁

55 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

The over the counter version of this product does not include a telehealth session to monitor taking the test. The Rx version does. I don't know about Carnival, but other cruise lines are specifically NOT honoring the unmonitored home test.

With carnival, you MUST use a proctor supervised test. As far as I know, only the rx type test with binaxNOW is supervised.

Just now, Dwright826 said:

With carnival, you MUST use a proctor supervised test. As far as I know, only the rx type test with binaxNOW is supervised.

Yes, so the home test kit that the person I responded to picked up free at the health dept is not going to be able to cruise with that. That is, assuming that the health dept didn't also administer the test in person and provide the required documentation, and assuming what this person picked up for free does not include a telehealth session.

I retract what I said about Rx vs. OTC, though. Optum sells the Abbott BinaxNOW AG Card test with eMed telehealth services. I called them and they said theirs was considered OTC. However, they do require you to attest to having symptoms or needing it to return to US by air or you aren't qualified to purchase. I have the feeling that an Rx is generated based on the answers to those questions behind the scenes, regardless of whether you purchase from Optum or eMed directly.

It is the monitoring and proper results format (as provided by eMed) that is the important distinction. The box with the test in it may or may not say Rx only.

22 hours ago, EMS8 said:

I hate to sound dense, but what  kind of technology setup do you need to run this test?

All you need is a working camera, that's capable of showing you and your test on a table all in one frame, and a working microphone. You can use your computer or laptop but best to use your smart phone and a tripod. Most people do not have a tripod but in that case you can prop up your phone. Hope that helps.😁

Reminder: DO NOT OPEN YOUR TEST BOX UNTIL YOU ARE CONNECTED TO A PROCTOR AND THEY CAN SEE YOU OPEN IT!

22 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:
22 hours ago, EMS8 said:

I hate to sound dense, but what  kind of technology setup do you need to run this test?

Just a camera so they can see you open the test, take the test, and read the results. You can use your phone camera or webcam on laptop/PC. 

I think you need a smart Phone to set-up an account in the NAVAID App - to set up the account (at least i could not figure out how to do it outside of the NAVAID App.) It MAY be possible to load the NAVAID on a new Apple OS desktop/laptop. It is possible to do the test itself via the desktop - just connect to a web address, and log in with your NAVAID log-in you created in the NAVAID App.

What the NAVAID App brings is the ability to provide the QR results code on your phone - useful for organizations that validate a lot of test results (NAVAID has a companion APP for organizations that validate the QR Code). or for cruises - paper printout does just fine.

22 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Just a camera so they can see you open the test, take the test, and read the results. You can use your phone camera or webcam on laptop/PC. 

ParoDeeJay posted a video on YouTube of them taking the test. Jay held his Iphone at an angle for Dee taking her test, and then just mounted it on a tripod for his.

29 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

I think you need a smart Phone to set-up an account in the NAVAID App - to set up the account (at least i could not figure out how to do it outside of the NAVAID App.) It MAY be possible to load the NAVAID on a new Apple OS desktop/laptop. It is possible to do the test itself via the desktop - just connect to a web address, and log in with your NAVAID log-in you created in the NAVAID App.

What the NAVAID App brings is the ability to provide the QR results code on your phone - useful for organizations that validate a lot of test results (NAVAID has a companion APP for organizations that validate the QR Code). or for cruises - paper printout does just fine.

A smart phone with the Navica app is not required. I set my account up on my laptop using a link on eMed's website. I can then go back to eMed's website using my laptop to log in and get tested without using the Navica app.