Cruise lines + ZERO guidance =💩

Drumstix40

i understand 100% why the cruise lines want pre covid testing now. What I don’t understand is the lack of leadership.  besides a few paragraphs on telling you that you have to be tested. No help is offered in obtaining the correct testing.  I have read so many posts on a few different cruise message boards. So many of us are frustrated. They could have rolled out a single point FAQ. and CLIA should 100% be behind this as the voice of the cruise industry. CHARLES SILVIA WHERE IS YOUR LEADERSHIP?  Set up a website that works for all partner cruise lines with direct, clear, simple instructions about where to get testing, proper types, who pays, links. ect…

this random take care of it yourself and hope for the best does not sit well with me. The industry can do better. And assist its passengers.  OK i’ve ranted… I feel better now…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drumstix40 said:

i understand 100% why the cruise lines want pre covid testing now. What I don’t understand is the lack of leadership.  besides a few paragraphs on telling you that you have to be tested. No help is offered in obtaining the correct testing.  I have read so many posts on a few different cruise message boards. So many of us are frustrated. They could have rolled out a single point FAQ. and CLIA should 100% be behind this as the voice of the cruise industry. CHARLES SILVIA WHERE IS YOUR LEADERSHIP?  Set up a website that works for all partner cruise lines with direct, clear, simple instructions about where to get testing, proper types, who pays, links. ect…

this random take care of it yourself and hope for the best does not sit well with me. The industry can do better. And assist its passengers.  OK i’ve ranted… I feel better now…

Odd, I find that Carnival has a very detailed description of what is required and acceptable for testing:

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

Odd, I find that Carnival has a very detailed description of what is required and acceptable for testing:

What kind of pre-cruise COVID-19 tests are acceptable guests?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Antigen tests include (acceptable for fully vaccinated guests only):

• Rapid antigen test
  • Viral antigen test
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include (acceptable for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests):

• PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

A rapid antigen or rapid PCR test is acceptable (of the test types listed above) are acceptable.

I kind of understand what she's saying. Finding testing available in your area, the cost, getting PCR testing back in time for those who need it, are all uncertainties. Some places are more available than others. If they are requiring it from everyone, it would be nice to have the certainty of it being done, say in a dedicated location by the cruise line right at Port. I know this probably won't happen,  but it would have been nice.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, heath1414 said:

I kind of understand what she's saying. Finding testing available in your area, the cost, getting PCR testing back in time for those who need it, are all uncertainties. Some places are more available than others. If they are requiring it from everyone, it would be nice to have the certainty of it being done, say in a dedicated location by the cruise line right at Port. I know this probably won't happen,  but it would have been nice.

If you are traveling any distance to a port, do you really want to travel before being tested? If you test positive you won't be able to cruise, and if you flew, you can't fly home for a while.

• Like 5

Oh please.

you want them to list all hotels with availability and pricing?

how about they list all available restaurants with carry out vs. dining in?

maybe all available transportation costs to and from the port?

While I understand the frustration, it’s now a part of the planning on your part.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, heath1414 said:

I don't read it that way at all, it seems as though the OP is indicating that the cruise lines are saying just get tested, and not explaining what types of tests are 'correct'. But Carnival has a fair amount of detail on their FAQ page about what specific types of tests are accepted, and what types of proof of those tests are accepted. 

To your point about testing available in your area, there is absolutely no way to expect the cruise lines to locate testing on your behalf in every zip code in the U.S. And creating a dedicated testing site for guests 'right at the port' would cost them thousands of dollars that they just don't have after the months of hemorrhaging money. 

If there is a will there is a way, if you want to cruise you will find a way to get tested.

15 hours ago, Drumstix40 said:

besides a few paragraphs on telling you that you have to be tested. No help is offered in obtaining the correct testing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If you are traveling any distance to a port, do you really want to travel before being tested? If you test positive you won't be able to cruise, and if you flew, you can't fly home for a while.

Just to clarify, you do not need a Covid test to fly. You only need a Covid test if you're flying inbound to the US from an International flight. 

9 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Just to clarify, you do not need a Covid test to fly. You only need a Covid test if you're flying inbound to the US from an International flight. 

I think that Blerk is trying to say that it would be a safer bet to get the test before going through the hassle of flying to the embarkation city, only to find out that you will be denied boarding due to a positive test. AND if you do wind up testing positive, you should not be flying commercially to get home either, as you would be exposing hundreds of other people. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Oh please.

you want them to list all hotels with availability and pricing?

how about they list all available restaurants with carry out vs. dining in?

maybe all available transportation costs to and from the port?

While I understand the frustration, it’s now a part of the planning on your part.

Not sure why you had to jump into this with a snarky, sarcastic comment rather than giving your opinion in a respectful, adult manner, but  none of those things you listed are low availability like testing is. The PCR test itself can take several days to get back and you have a 3 day time limited. I am lucky enough in my area to have, at least at the moment, easy access to free testing. But not every part of the country is like that. I don't think it would have been that hard for Carnival to find someone to partner with for more guaranteed, time sensitive testing. For instance a nation wide chain like Walgreens or CVS, to make finding testing a little easier. Or just something like my original thought just so people who live in remote or hot spots areas with little testing availability had something to fall back on. I was just saying I understand where OP was coming from and their need to vent. I will be doing everything I can to get on my cruise in October, but people are allowed to be frustrated with an already difficult planning process becoming more complex.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That was just a thought, but some guidance on exactly where we could go would have been nice. Maybe even a nationwide chain like Walgreens or CVS that was partnered with them and understood the time sensitivity that it has. I'm my area, at the moment, it seems like I'm shouldn't have trouble getting an appointment and getting our results back in time. But it's not like that everywhere. 

1 minute ago, heath1414 said:

That was just a thought, but some guidance on exactly where we could go would have been nice. Maybe even a nationwide chain like Walgreens or CVS that was partnered with them and understood the time sensitivity that it has. I'm my area, at the moment, it seems like I'm shouldn't have trouble getting an appointment and getting our results back in time. But it's not like that everywhere. 

I would think that higher priority for time sensitivity is actual symptomatic and exposed people, not us trying to go on a luxury vacation - but that's just me. 😏

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I would think that higher priority for time sensitivity is actual symptomatic and exposed people, not us trying to go on a luxury vacation - but that's just me. 😏

I would agree to that, which is why some people in hot spots are going to have trouble finding testing. Which is why it would be nice to have an option at the port for those cases. I know it won't happen, but would be nice. Like I said, I'm not currently in a place where I'm going to have a struggle getting tested, but feel sorry and frustrated for the people who will.

Edited by heath1414
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tm_aw_love said:

I think that Blerk is trying to say that it would be a safer bet to get the test before going through the hassle of flying to the embarkation city, only to find out that you will be denied boarding due to a positive test. AND if you do wind up testing positive, you should not be flying commercially to get home either, as you would be exposing hundreds of other people. 

While a test is not required for domestic travel by air, I believe you do have to answer some questions about your Covid status or exposure. If you test positive at embarkation, you may have to quarantine or at least be prevented from flying immediately.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Babr said:

While a test is not required for domestic travel by air, I believe you do have to answer some questions about your Covid status or exposure. If you test positive a embarkation, you may have to quarantine or at least be prevented from flying immediately.

Not when I flew last, but one could hope that somebody wouldn't intentionally expose people. 

• Like 1

I understand what is being said about having a "partner" for testing, and I believe NCL has that with Walgreens or CVS I forget which one. 

But also understand, this wasn't a planned thing originally like NCL did, it is a reactional situation. Working for that 3 letter company, let me say, we can't even get documents updated to the correct information w/o it going through 3+ different committees, who then take 4+ months and they put in wrong/not enough information. I expect our latest updated document to be correct sometime in 2023 at this point.. 

Who knows it might be something in the future, but expecting something like that the moment it was announced is unrealistic when you have to deal with contracts and other things. In this case probably even LONGER because a non-health entity like Carnival would have to go through a LOT more re: protected health information if their partner reported the results directly to them (Which IMO would be the next complaint! OMG I went to where "CRUISE LINE" told me to, and I have to bring a PAPER WITH ME?!?)

I get it, people want things the easy way. It isn't that testing isn't available in 90% of the country, it really seems like people don't want to PAY for testing and want it free, which is the problem! I found many places for those on my cruises book of faces group, but out of the 10+ I found for people, only 1 was appreciative because it was at least a place, even if they DID charge! 

16 hours ago, heath1414 said:

Man if I was the CEO of CVS I would be on the phone to the port.  Seems like a great way to generate a ton of cash.  We are in Florida for a week prior to our cruise so we need to get tested in Florida anyway.  If I could do my rapid at the port we would and that would have simplified things for us greatly.  If one of us tests positive we rent a car and drive the 14 hours home.  I am sure there are others in a similar situation that would benefit from a testing option at the port.  We are ubering to a cvs on Friday morning about 5 miles from the hotel, getting the rapid test, and then ubering back.  Given the situation in Florida it would be better for everyone if we got tested at the port and left the cvs appointments for locals who might be ill or have a greater need for the testing.  

Disney has partnered with a company to do rapid testing at the port, but for Disney if you are vaccinated you to not need to be tested so it is smaller numbers to deal with.  Here is what the Disney cruise line says:

• Embarkation COVID-19 Testing: Guests are required to undergo a rapid PCR COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal prior to boarding. Guests with positive COVID-19 test results, as well as those in their travel party, will be denied boarding. The $65 test fee will be charged to the folio of all Guests 12 years and older. Disney Cruise Line acts as the paying agent for Inspire Diagnostics and will remit the entire cost of the COVID-19 test to Inspire Diagnostics. Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination instead of undergoing COVID-19 embarkation testing. All Guests on back-to-back, consecutive sailings will be required to undergo a rapid PCR COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal after debarking the ship following their first cruise, before reboarding the ship for their second cruise.

Again this is Disney as an example of what could be done, I do not want to confuse anyone thinking it is Carnival.  

We live near Port Canaveral.  In our area it seems that testing is primarily (if not only) available thru CVS and Walgreens.  Appointments must be made online (a time consuming goat roping) and there are no appts for at least two days.  These pharmacies are overwhelmed. Testing at the drive thru window and vaccines at the inside counter - both time consuming processes with the requisite paperwork.

I became aware of this mess when we tried for days to pick up our prescriptions.  My Walgreens has no additional staff to handle all of this.  I would be very appreciative if the cruise lines could work out an option on testing.

Here is a novel idea, since this is a medical issue, call your doctor.  If you don't want to do that, there are many, many websites and telephone numbers in every area of this country that can tell you where testing is available.  The number of threads complaining that the cruise lines are not giving specific directions to each individual passenger, saying that the rules are impossible to meet, complaining that they have to pay for a test to go cruising and/or trying to figure out ways around the rules that are in force is really disheartening.  Yes, initially there was not enough guidance as to what types of tests were acceptable, but now there is VERY specific information.  They are even taking at home tests that are monitored online.  And what a number of people are saying is do not travel before you get your test results, not because it is required, but because if you test positive, you should not travel.  If you travel to the port and test positive there, first of all you have exposed a large number of people to the virus, second, you are going to have to quarantine and/or get medical treatment in the port city, not in your home area.  So plan ahead, make an appointment for whatever test you need before you leave, and understand you may have to actually pay for it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, teknoge3k said:

Yes but what would happen if you flew into the cruise port and then tested positive-  Would you blame the cruise line?  Would you expect them to facilitate your flight home? ( because you would not be allowed on a plane until after quarantine).

It's better if you have a neg test in hand BEFORE you arrive.  

Our cruise is Sat Nov27. We fly out on Thanksgiving day. Thanksgiving day is most likely lost due to a holiday. Friday Nov26 50-50 as some people take vacations. I ended up ordering test kits from emed.

CVS/Walgreens is not as easy as one thinks, due to making appts......and the they need to have enough kits on hand.

Carnival made it easy when they were going to test on site. Not sure why they failed and gave up.

When we flew to Cozumel July04 for 6 nights, for the return we needed a test to board the flight. The hotel took care of arranging the test, we waited for the results.