My BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST Experience

chamorroroots

Alas! Here it is! The process I went through on August 12, 2021 taking the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST guided by an on-line live Proctor.  This test kit will be used to satisfy our Carnival cruise requirement to produce a negative COVID test result 72 to 48 hours prior to the day of our embarkation. Requirements provided from the test:

✔️Laboratory Test Record - Lab result document is password protected PDF Document and sent by email after the test

✔️ Digital certificate - Navica App (contains the following information below to satisfy information requirements)

✔️First and Last Name - B******* P*******

✔️Date of Birth -  **/**/***

✔️Type of Test - BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test (Viral Antigen) 

✔️Date and time the sample was taken: August 12, 2021

✔️Test result is stated “NEGATIVE” or “NOT DETECTED” - NEGATIVE* / *SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Not Detected

✔️Laboratory or testing site, and/or healthcare provider details - eMed Labs LLC

BOOM!

Here’s the link to my video. Please Subscribe, Like (or not), Comment: https://youtu.be/gdewvrKGPwM

1343E765-5C05-4CA9-BCB1-E33488A554A5.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, asalligo said:

Nice, thanks, please follow up if Carnival accepted that without issue. 

You’re welcome. Earlier this week when Carnival adjusted it’s policy I called Jennifer, my Carnival Cruise Planner, and she confirmed. My cruise is not until October, but wanted to share this and hope that those leaving tomorrow (when policy goes into effect) will be able to validate/confirm this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Following - I would also like to hear about your experience when you return from your cruise as to Carnival accepting these w/o issue at the embarkation terminal as the previous poster also asked.  We've cancelled our September cruise, mainly due to our insurance not covering rapid tests as well as risking not getting an appointment in time to receive the results. (We live in a state with a major surge right now.)  These at home kits may be an option for our December cruise if, God forbid, we are still in this same mess, as they are much less costly.  Thank you for posting - very helpful.  Have a blessed cruise!

• Like 2

I really appreciate this video! My tests get here today and we cruise in 11 days then again in 28 days.  I am trying to leave the house as little as possible before the cruise and I figure that this is less exposure then going to a clinic where people may be sick. (Nothing is going to keep me off this ship except a positive test!) It is nice to see the process in advance, so we know what to expect. 🙂 Hopefully people will report on if this worked for them. <fingers crossed> 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Following - I would also like to hear about your experience when you return from your cruise as to Carnival accepting these w/o issue at the embarkation terminal as the previous poster also asked.  We've cancelled our September cruise, mainly due to our insurance not covering rapid tests as well as risking not getting an appointment in time to receive the results. (We live in a state with a major surge right now.)  These at home kits may be an option for our December cruise if, God forbid, we are still in this same mess, as they are much less costly.  Thank you for posting - very helpful.  Have a blessed cruise!

You're welcome. Will do.

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

How long did it take to receive results?

The total process from beginning to end took about 25 minutes. About 10 minutes later the test results appeared on the Navica App and then about two hours later I received the email with the password protected PDF lab results.  I am impressed and happy with my first experience with this. Granted others may have experienced longer wait times, but I think this may all be a timing issue like a rush traffic hour. 

• Like 1

Can someone other then the names listed when purchased use one of the tests (6 tests, family of 4, but only 3 names can be listed when purchasing)
Is there an additional charge when you do the test, or is that included in the price of purchase? 

6 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

Can someone other then the names listed when purchased use one of the tests (6 tests, family of 4, but only 3 names can be listed when purchasing)
Is there an additional charge when you do the test, or is that included in the price of purchase? 

Although I was expecting to pay a $40 charge to commence the test, to my surprise there was no additional charge🙂 This makes the cost per test much more cheaper than others.

With regards to question about a family of 4 and the limitation only three names, you might want to inquire (call eMed) to try and get the fourth person named.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chamorroroots said:

Although I was expecting to pay a $40 charge to commence the test, to my surprise there was no additional charge🙂 This makes the cost per test much more cheaper than others.

With regards to question about a family of 4 and the limitation only three names, you might want to inquire (call eMed) to try and get the fourth person named.

If you find this out, please post the answer.  I too have a family of 4 and was only able to list 3 when ordering.

• Like 1

Ok folks, by request, I called and just spoke with Mariana, eMed Customer Support. She said that another six-pack of kits will need to be purchased beyond three people. The reason why they limit to three people is because they plan for two test kits per person in case the first one is inconclusive.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, chamorroroots said:

Ok folks, by request, I called and just spoke with Mariana, eMed Customer Support. She said that another six-pack of kits will need to be purchased beyond three people. The reason why they limit to three people is because they plan for two test kits per person in case the first one is inconclusive.

Oof, that is crappy ... but with that said, hubby and I have another trip scheduled for New Year's so if we are still in this state of requirements, then we can use it for then!  This time, tho, I'm attempting to purchase with my HSA card since it is a lab test.  🤓

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nottypixz said:

Oof, that is crappy ... but with that said, hubby and I have another trip scheduled for New Year's so if we are still in this state of requirements, then we can use it for then!  This time, tho, I'm attempting to purchase with my HSA card since it is a lab test.  🤓

Yes, by all means take advantage of and use your HSA card. I don't have a card but do have an HSA and was reimbursed. It's hard to believe that this all happened just this week - purchase, reimbursement and testing!

• Like 1

I was already planning on buying this test for a trip to Europe, but now am considering it for my cruise on the 27th.

it was helpful to see that they provided all of the required carnival information when you did your run through of the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaTech8912 said:

Can you let me know what the expiration date is on your tests?  I heard they expire 12/31/21 (regardless of when purchased) and trying to determine if that is true.  Thx much

Per FDA letter dated April 6, 2021 (https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download), they had approved Abbott’s request to extend the shelf-life period of the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card to 12 months. To my understanding the expiration is measured from the date of manufacture. My lot has a manufacture date of February 9, 2021 so it should be good until February 8, 2022.

41 minutes ago, chamorroroots said:

Per FDA letter dated April 6, 2021 (https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download), they had approved Abbott’s request to extend the shelf-life period of the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card to 12 months. To my understanding the expiration is measured from the date of manufacture. My lot has a manufacture date of February 9, 2021 so it should be good until February 8, 2022.

Thanks much....I did mean to say January 2022....but this does answer my question.  Last question, did you get the 6 pack and if yes, did you need to have an RX for it (I think that is what I saw on the Binax website).  Appreciate the information, have a great cruise.

• Like 1