Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

Rapid PCR Test - I live in NYC and am having a hard time finding a rapid PCR for my September 26th Bermuda Cruise. The labs that offer them are asking $150 per person. 

Is there an alternative? If i take a regular PCR test say from CVS and it takes 2 days to get the results - will that be an issue? Too late to upload them?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Feeling a little lost. Between Bermuda's fees and possibly our Rapid PCR test fees it is adding a nice chunk of $ to cruise.

Thanks so much.

Mary

5 minutes ago, maryisme said:

Rapid PCR Test - I live in NYC and am having a hard time finding a rapid PCR for my September 26th Bermuda Cruise. The labs that offer them are asking $150 per person. 

Is there an alternative? If i take a regular PCR test say from CVS and it takes 2 days to get the results - will that be an issue? Too late to upload them?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Feeling a little lost. Between Bermuda's fees and possibly our Rapid PCR test fees it is adding a nice chunk of $ to cruise.

Thanks so much.

Mary

i noticed the same thing too for my cruise at the end of october. if you want results within a day, you need to pay hundreds of dollars for a test

48 minutes ago, maryisme said:

Thanks so much.

Mary

Currently, as things stand for Crystal sailings at least, you would test first thing Wednesday morning and need your results in 48 hours in order to get them in time for Bermuda's 24 hour application processing. My husband and I took tests at two CVS locations in the Rochester, NY area last Wednesday. I had my results in 30 hours and he had his in 29 hours. So we feel pretty confident that our local CVS can get results to us fast enough for our Bermuda Travel Authorization. Your mileage may vary.

Those of us sailing on the 9/26 Breakaway received our protocol emails today. As expected, we must take a PCR test four days prior to sailing, pay the $75 to complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization application and upload test results to that, take another test (can be antigen or PCR) within 72 hours of departure, and take an antigen test at the pier. The only thing that is different from what we anticipated is that, rather than taking a PCR test upon arrival in Bermuda, Eurofins will administer a PCR test at the pier along with the standard antigen test and the results from that will be accepted for us to be able to dock/get off the ship in Bermuda.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Those of us sailing on the 9/26 Breakaway received our protocol emails today. As expected, we must take a PCR test four days prior to sailing, pay the $75 to complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization application and upload test results to that, take another test (can be antigen or PCR) within 72 hours of departure, and take an antigen test at the pier. The only thing that is different from what we anticipated is that, rather than taking a PCR test upon arrival in Bermuda, Eurofins will administer a PCR test at the pier along with the standard antigen test and the results from that will be accepted for us to be able to dock/get off the ship in Bermuda.

So to clarify ... those of us living in the NYC area DO NOT (as of this moment) have to have any testing done at neighborhood testing facilities ... NCL is taking care of all testing??? Thank you ...

8 minutes ago, babba said:

So to clarify ... those of us living in the NYC area DO NOT (as of this moment) have to have any testing done at neighborhood testing facilities ... NCL is taking care of all testing??? Thank you ...

You have to have a PCR test done four days prior to sailing in order to complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization form. You can optionally also have an antigen or PCR test done 72 hours prior to sailing if you want to be confident NCL will cover your expenses if you test positive at the pier. The testing that NCL is doing is their standard antigen test they do at embarkation for ALL of their sailings as well as an additional PCR test to satisfy Bermuda's arrival testing requirement. So, in all, there are four potential tests: two that are on you to get prior to embarkation day and two that will be conducted at the pier on embarkation day.

• Like 1

Jamie,

To be clear (and I am asking NCL for complete verification) the 72 hour negative test for NCL to assist in any costs associated with a positive test at the pier and you need to quarantine.  The language specifically used is as follows and it states TRAVEL date.  On my cruise, I am flying (using NCL air) on Friday, so technically per the language, the PCR test for Bermuda would be enough to meet the 72 hours before my travel date.

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will
likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within
72-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their
travel insurance. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine only if the guest
provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of their travel date.

1 minute ago, imacruiser99 said:

Jamie,

To be clear (and I am asking NCL for complete verification) the 72 hour negative test for NCL to assist in any costs associated with a positive test at the pier and you need to quarantine.  The language specifically used is as follows and it states TRAVEL date.  On my cruise, I am flying (using NCL air) on Friday, so technically per the language, the PCR test for Bermuda would be enough to meet the 72 hours before my travel date.

Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will
likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within
72-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their
travel insurance. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine only if the guest
provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of their travel date.

If that is the case, then I won't need an additional test either, as we are traveling (driving) down to the NYC area on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

You have to have a PCR test done four days prior to sailing in order to complete the Bermuda Travel Authorization form. You can optionally also have an antigen or PCR test done 72 hours prior to sailing if you want to be confident NCL will cover your expenses if you test positive at the pier. The testing that NCL is doing is their standard antigen test they do at embarkation for ALL of their sailings as well as an additional PCR test to satisfy Bermuda's arrival testing requirement. So, in all, there are four potential tests: two that are on you to get prior to embarkation day and two that will be conducted at the pier on embarkation day.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to have just one PCR test 72 hours before embarkation to satisfy both the Bermuda test and also the NCL "cover your expenses" test?

maryisme,

Another alternative for COVID testing in NYC -

Have you see the LabQ tents around the city? The majority are in Manhattan but there are some scattered across the other boroughs (except SI). They don't require a doctor's note for a test. The testing is free; if you're uninsured there is no cost and if you're insured, they bill the entire amount to your insurance company.

There is a map of current locations and times here: https://labq.com/covid-mobile-testing/. You can register your information online ahead of time and book an appointment or simply walk up to any location and register in person and get tested right away.

They have been our go-to testing company over the last year. I have had 5 tests done in that time, and every time my results have been emailed to me overnight that night (usually by 3-5 am) and I have not been charged any fees.

11 minutes ago, mikes said:

Wouldn't it be sufficient to have just one PCR test 72 hours before embarkation to satisfy both the Bermuda test and also the NCL "cover your expenses" test?

That would be great if you would be assured to get the results in 24 hours.

11 minutes ago, mikes said:

Ah, but the issue there is you need the results of the PCR test very early in order to submit the Bermuda Travel Authorization Application in time for it to be processed. The Bermuda site says that takes up to 24 hours, so you would likely want to have that submitted by end of day on Friday at the latest. Most PCR test results take more than 24 hours (many much longer), so putting off the PCR test until Thursday to satisfy the 72 hour testing requirement for NCL means risking not getting your results in time. As is, people on the Crystal sailings have had some stressful situations just trying to get test results in time when taking their tests Wednesday morning.

I just put this together to help keep track of everything in my mind. Hopefully it will help some of you as well.

As soon as possible:

• Complete NCL online check-in

• Schedule PCR test for the Wednesday morning prior to sailing

• Complete Eurofins account set-up

• Begin Bermuda Travel Authorization Application

Week of cruise:

Wednesday

Take PCR test for Bermuda

Thursday or Friday

Take optional PCR or antigen test for NCL

Upload PCR test results to Travel Authorization form

Saturday

Receive Bermuda Travel Authorization Number

Sunday

Arrive at pier at scheduled arrival time

Take antigen and PCR tests at pier

Wait for antigen test results

Complete check-in and board ship

What to bring to the pier:

• Cruise Docs

• Passport

• Proof of Vaccination

• Bermuda Travel Authorization Number

• Eurofins registration

• Negative test result from optional 72-hour test

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I just put this together to help keep track of everything in my mind. Hopefully it will help some of you as well.

As soon as possible:

• Complete NCL online check-in

• Schedule PCR test for the Wednesday morning prior to sailing

• Complete Eurofins account set-up

• Begin Bermuda Travel Authorization Application

Week of cruise:

Wednesday

Take PCR test for Bermuda

Thursday or Friday

Take optional PCR or antigen test for NCL

Upload PCR test results to Travel Authorization form

Saturday

Receive Bermuda Travel Authorization Number

Sunday

Arrive at pier at scheduled arrival time

Take antigen and PCR tests at pier

Wait for antigen test results

Complete check-in and board ship

What to bring to the pier:

• Cruise Docs

• Passport

• Proof of Vaccination

• Bermuda Travel Authorization Number

• Eurofins registration

• Negative test result from optional 72-hour test

Thank you for posting this!!!

49 minutes ago, The Cruisecats said:

maryisme,

Have you see the LabQ tents around the city? The majority are in Manhattan but there are some scattered across the other boroughs (except SI). They don't require a doctor's note for a test. The testing is free; if you're uninsured there is no cost and if you're insured, they bill the entire amount to your insurance company.

There is a map of current locations and times here: https://labq.com/covid-mobile-testing/. You can register your information online ahead of time and book an appointment or simply walk up to any location and register in person and get tested right away.

They have been our go-to testing company over the last year. I have had 5 tests done in that time, and every time my results have been emailed to me overnight that night (usually by 3-5 am) and I have not been charged any fees.

Thanks so much for posting this. It's info I've been looking for, especially since they do the PCR test.

9 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

You also have to upload your vaccination card with the test results to Bermuda.

Right, but I assumed you would do that when you started the application, since you wouldn't be waiting on that. Once you get your PCR test results, that should be the only thing left for you to upload in order for you to submit the application.

1 hour ago, The Cruisecats said:

maryisme,

Thank you Cruisecats!  I was coming to post that I found a CVS in New Rochelle - 30 min from me- that does the rapid PCR test!  

Edited by maryisme

1 minute ago, maryisme said:

Thank you Cruisecats!  I was coming to post that I found a CVS in New Rochelle - 30 min from me- that does the rapid PCR test!  Now I just learned from Jamie’s post that the rapid antigen test will suffice!  

A rapid antigen only suffices for NCL's 72-hour test requirement, NOT for Bermuda's 96-hour test requirement.

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

A rapid antigen only suffices for NCL's 72-hour test requirement, NOT for Bermuda's 96-hour test requirement.

Thank you Jamie for the clarification. I was just checking that myself. Sorry for my misunderstanding!

Incorrect info removed from my post. 🙂

Edited by maryisme

For what it's worth, I heard back from my PCC.  He said the 72 hour prior test is only for quarantine costs and that cruise costs would still be refunded if you test positive at the pier.  

He also said Wednesday morning is fine to take the PCR test for the Bermuda TA.

Since we're driving to the pier, I'm not concerned with quarantine costs.  However, if for some reason our PCR test for entry to Bermuda comes back positive, then we might have quarantine costs so I think we'll get the extra test just to be on the safe side.

I guess the one good thing about the new protocols is that hopefully everyone's tests results will be back before we dock in Bermuda and will get the full scheduled time there instead of losing most of the first day.

• Like 4

Has anyone had the rapid antigen test from CVS?  Is there a printable e-mail which shows your name and date of birth as per NCL's requirements.  I know some people who have gotten a phone call with the results which wouldn't give me any proof for NCL.

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Has anyone had the rapid antigen test from CVS?  Is there a printable e-mail which shows your name and date of birth as per NCL's requirements.  I know some people who have gotten a phone call with the results which wouldn't give me any proof for NCL.

I have gotten it. I got called in to go over the results when it was done (around 15minutes, and they were busy at the time too) which was negative and they gave me a printout along with an updated page online for my results. 

I've also gone ahead and scheduled my family for the rapid PCR testing for the Bermuda requirements for Wednesday. Luckily we could get very early times so my daughter won’t miss school that day. I also plan on using our local CVS for the antigen tests. Though, I might cancel it because we will be driving in. 

Edited by SwimmingDragon
Forgot to post second part