Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The testing doesn't seem onerous for people who live near a CVS or Walgreens, both of which do PCR testing for free with emailed results within 48 hours. But I can see how, if you don't have access to either of those options, it could be a lot harder to track down a source of testing that has a fast enough turn around and provides electronic results.

I understand. Walgreens here has no testing. Rite-Aid does but that's the one that takes more than 72 hours, possibly as long as 5 business days. The nearest CVS that offers testing is 40+ miles away (one much nearer is in a Target store, no drive-up). Walgreens 15 miles away is scheduling testing but they use the same lab as Rite-Aid, so I'd expect the same result (no lab work on the weekend?).

Edited by kochleffel

We are not sailing till 10/17 but hope NCL will send out something definitive.  It would be nice if we could arrive in Bermuda the night before so if Bermuda is testing we don't lose most of the first day waiting for results.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am not sure, the CVS site says "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)", if that means anything to you? I had the same test at Walgreens a couple of weeks ago and got my results right at the 48 hour mark. I am scheduled to have the test at CVS on Wednesday the 1st in advance of my trip to Canada on the 3rd. We are getting our tests first thing when they open on the 1st (10:00 am) and hope to have plenty of time to receive our results before we drive over the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge in the late evening on the 3rd.

The Walgreen's near me has a rapid test listed as "PCR/NAAT" but I took that to mean they may do either PCR or NAAT, and it was my understanding that other types of NAAT are not sufficient for Bermuda. I'll see if I can get a straight answer from my store whether I am able to specify that I need RT-PCR and they won't try to process it as one of the other types of NAAT tests. 

I feel like I read a thread where someone had a test that stated NAAT as the type and asked the Bermuda authorities if it would suffice and was told no. Here is a basic breakdown of types of NAAT tests from the CDC website: 

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

24 minutes ago, periodic itinerant said:

The Walgreen's near me has a rapid test listed as "PCR/NAAT" but I took that to mean they may do either PCR or NAAT, and it was my understanding that other types of NAAT are not sufficient for Bermuda. I'll see if I can get a straight answer from my store whether I am able to specify that I need RT-PCR and they won't try to process it as one of the other types of NAAT tests. 

I feel like I read a thread where someone had a test that stated NAAT as the type and asked the Bermuda authorities if it would suffice and was told no. Here is a basic breakdown of types of NAAT tests from the CDC website: 

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

Not sure if this is helpful, but this is what it said on the PDF for my Walgreens test a couple of weeks ago:

This nucleic acid amplification test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by LabCorp Laboratories. Nucleic acid amplification
tests include RT-PCR and TMA. This test has not been FDA cleared or approved. This test has been authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). This test is only authorized for the duration of time the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of the
emergency use of in vitro diagnostic tests for detection of SARS-CoV-2 virus and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 infection under section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21
U.S.C. 360bbb-3(b) (1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner. When diagnostic testing is negative, the possibility of a false negative
result should be considered in the context of a patient's recent exposures and the presence of clinical signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19. An
individual without symptoms of COVID-19 and who is not shedding SARS-CoV-2 virus would expect to have a negative (not detected) result in this assay.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not sure if this is helpful, but this is what it said on the PDF for my Walgreens test a couple of weeks ago:

This nucleic acid amplification test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by LabCorp Laboratories. Nucleic acid amplification
tests include RT-PCR and TMA. This test has not been FDA cleared or approved. This test has been authorized by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). This test is only authorized for the duration of time the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of the
emergency use of in vitro diagnostic tests for detection of SARS-CoV-2 virus and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 infection under section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21
U.S.C. 360bbb-3(b) (1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner. When diagnostic testing is negative, the possibility of a false negative
result should be considered in the context of a patient's recent exposures and the presence of clinical signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19. An
individual without symptoms of COVID-19 and who is not shedding SARS-CoV-2 virus would expect to have a negative (not detected) result in this assay.

I would be concerned that Bermuda won't accept that, since it says it "includes RT-PCR and TMA." Did it state anywhere on your results which of those two methods they used on your specific test? Bermuda's instructions state they won't accept TMA (since it's an isothermal amplification method). Researching testing places, types, and turnaround time is making me get into the weeds with all these acronyms!

From the Bermuda Travel Authorisation (By Sea) (Cruise Passenger):

The test result must state the words “PCR” i.e. RT-PCR, Rapid PCR. Any isothermal amplification method will NOT be accepted. Take this page to your local testing site to ensure you receive the correct test.

10 minutes ago, periodic itinerant said:

I would be concerned that Bermuda won't accept that, since it says it "includes RT-PCR and TMA." Did it state anywhere on your results which of those two methods they used on your specific test? Bermuda's instructions state they won't accept TMA (since it's an isothermal amplification method). Researching testing places, types, and turnaround time is making me get into the weeds with all these acronyms!

From the Bermuda Travel Authorisation (By Sea) (Cruise Passenger):

The test result must state the words “PCR” i.e. RT-PCR, Rapid PCR. Any isothermal amplification method will NOT be accepted. Take this page to your local testing site to ensure you receive the correct test.

I mean, technically, it does state "RT-PCR" on the page. So that might be all they are looking for. I will be getting a test at CVS a week from Wednesday in order to travel to Canada, so I will see what their results PDF states.

Hopefully as the sail dates gets near and that NCL sends out a notification about submitting the travel authorisation for sailing that they provide some recommend places to get the correct test. It seems like impossible trying to find a place that will satisfy all of bermuda requirements. lke if the result says RT-PCR and then mentions TMA further down the page or somewhere else then bermuda might not accept it. this is just getting way to confusing

Edited by shof515
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Hopefully as the sail dates gets near and that NCL sends out a notification about submitting the travel authorisation for sailing that they provide some recommend places to get the correct test. It seems like impossible trying to find a place that will satisfy all of bermuda requirements. lke if the result says RT-PCR and then mentions TMA further down the page or somewhere else then bermuda might not accept it. this is just getting way to confusing

You may want to peek at the Crystal board as their first cruise to Bermuda has just departed Boston, albeit delayed for a day by Henri. The  Cruise Critic posters there have been able satisfy Bermuda's protocols, which by the way are essentially the same protocols as have been imposed on airline passengers traveling to Bermuda. 

Airline passengers flying to Bermuda have had to follow essentially the same protocols for a substantial time now and hundreds of people fly to Bermuda every week for business and vacation. You can also look at the Viking Ocean board as Viking has been running cruises from Bermuda all summer and passengers are flying in for those cruises from the US have to follow the same procedure.

If you look carefully enough I'm sure you'll find a way to satisfy the testing requirements because hundreds of others already have. It appears daunting but it can be done. To satisfy the requirements don't be surprised if you have to spend some money to get tested at a facility that can guarantee they'll get the results back to you quickly enough.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you look carefully enough I'm sure you'll find a way to satisfy the testing requirements because hundreds of others already have. It appears daunting but it can be done. To satisfy the requirements don't be surprised if you have to spend some money to get tested at a facility that can guarantee they'll get the results back to you quickly enough.

Yes, I think *most* areas will have options if you are willing to pay a bit. I'm exploring all avenues to see if there is a reasonably priced way to do it without me feeling too stressed about the timeline, but I'm also willing to pay to reduce my anxiety. 🙂 I have the added hiccup of flying from the west coast the day before my cruise, so I really want the test results sooner so I can deal with taking care of my Bermuda travel authorization with some cushion.

If it comes down to it, I'll head to Seatac airport on our "Day 0" and pay $250 at the Xprescheck, so I'll have the results in my grubby paws within an hour and some peace of mind. I'm also looking into Pixel by LabCorp and a company called Passport Health.

• Like 1

The plot thickens. The hospital group that has 36-hour results by phone also offers viewing and download from their patient portal, or printing at a clinic reception desk. BUT the receptionists don't know how to do it, according to a co-worker, and my login for the patient portal no longer works. They say to get a new login from my "provider." THEY are the provider.

In a worst case, an urgent-care clinic in fairly nearby can give same-day RT-PCR results, albeit at a cost of $230 ($100 for the test and $130 for a doctor visit to get the order for the test), usually not covered by insurance unless the patient has symptoms or a confirmed exposure.

21 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I know CVS doesn't charge you but charges your insurance company.  Will your insurance company also pay for multiple tests?  I have a cruise in September and another in October.

I don't see why not. I got a test a couple of weeks ago and will be getting another test next week and then another prior to my 9/26 sailing. A test is a snapshot in time, so getting tested one week, or even one day, should not preclude you from getting one the next week (or day)....

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, periodic itinerant said:

Yes, I think *most* areas will have options if you are willing to pay a bit. I'm exploring all avenues to see if there is a reasonably priced way to do it without me feeling too stressed about the timeline, but I'm also willing to pay to reduce my anxiety. 🙂 I have the added hiccup of flying from the west coast the day before my cruise, so I really want the test results sooner so I can deal with taking care of my Bermuda travel authorization with some cushion.

If it comes down to it, I'll head to Seatac airport on our "Day 0" and pay $250 at the Xprescheck, so I'll have the results in my grubby paws within an hour and some peace of mind. I'm also looking into Pixel by LabCorp and a company called Passport Health.

I have heard and read that US airports do get very crowded ... there are unvaccinated travellers there, and also on planes (domestic), so please mask up well while travelling to Bermuda so not to breathe in Mr. D from others/air.

Good luck and bon voyage. Bermuda is lovely to tour around the island at the moment .

Edited by bluesea777

Our health dept. provides free take home PCR test kits.  When I went down to get one for my wife and myself, they said how many do you want.   Their though being also, a test is only valid for the moment you take it.  They have no problem with you testing as many times as you wish.  The test is UPS overnight to the lab and results were back email in about 48 hours for this first time.  

30 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

I have heard and read that US airports do get very crowded ... there are unvaccinated travellers there, and also on planes (domestic), so please mask up well while travelling to Bermuda so not to breathe in Mr. D from others/air.

Good luck and bon voyage. Bermuda is lovely to tour around the island at the moment .

The good news is all US airports and airlines require masks be worn at all times. You are only allowed to pull your mask down for sips and bites. I have flown a couple of times in the past 6 months and I would say *most* people are pretty good about it. Even so, I did get COVID tested as soon as I was home from my last cruise, because I had a 10 hour delay in Ft. Lauderdale... Was pretty scared of being stuck in an airport for 10 hours with a bunch of Floridians or people who had spent the last however many days in Florida. (This was the first of August.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The good news is all US airports and airlines require masks be worn at all times. You are only allowed to pull your mask down for sips and bites. I have flown a couple of times in the past 6 months and I would say *most* people are pretty good about it. Even so, I did get COVID tested as soon as I was home from my last cruise, because I had a 10 hour delay in Ft. Lauderdale... Was pretty scared of being stuck in an airport for 10 hours with a bunch of Floridians or people who had spent the last however many days in Florida. (This was the first of August.)

I've been in Alaska for two weeks, with six airplane flights in all, three nights aboard ships, tours with people from all over, and meals in restaurants. Southeast Alaska has high vaccination rates, but other visitors may have been from places that don't. The good news was that mask-wearing was nearly universal, the main exceptions being half-masked people, if you know what I mean. I've been tested twice since getting home -- to comply with conflicting policies -- both negative. My state has been recommending that one get tested three days after returning from travel, because of the possibility of being exposed on the last day or two of the trip.

3 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I've been in Alaska for two weeks, with six airplane flights in all, three nights aboard ships, tours with people from all over, and meals in restaurants. Southeast Alaska has high vaccination rates, but other visitors may have been from places that don't. The good news was that mask-wearing was nearly universal, the main exceptions being half-masked people, if you know what I mean. I've been tested twice since getting home -- to comply with conflicting policies -- both negative. My state has been recommending that one get tested three days after returning from travel, because of the possibility of being exposed on the last day or two of the trip.

my husband and I refer to them kindly as "naked nosers" 

• Haha 2

Aside from all the testing information  here (Rite Aid near me does a straight out PCR test (bio reference labs does the processing),  I did receive my luggage tags from NCL this week.  This is very encouraging.   See you on board!!

This is Very similar to the hoops we had to jump through to be first US citizens to sail, which was out of St Maarten on Celebrity. We had to have a RT-PCR done and submitted to SXM government within 120hours from arrival on the island. Needed time for email approval from the island to fly down.  We then had to have another RT-PCR within 72 hours of arrival at the cruise port in SXM for Celebrity. These are often two different days and goal posts. Add to that we did a b2b and man, very stressful and I travel for a living, and did so during 2020. 

We’re on the 26th sailing.  Concerns me NCL hasn’t reached out on this to us yet. 

Im not sure I’m ready for all those hoops again after doing that back in June. We just sailed Alaska on Celeb and it was much less involved. 

Add to that the EU announcement for US visitors, Bermuda MAY, and I stress MAY, in conjunction with UK guidance shut the door after all. 

GSC, I’d be down to be honest. 

Thanks everyone for the info. 

37 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Concerns me NCL hasn’t reached out on this to us yet. 

It was the same for Crystal, which only figured out what it had to do for its Bermuda cruises very  close to the start of the first cruise. It just takes a while to work out all the details with Bermuda.

We just sailed Alaska on Celeb and it was much less involved. 

Of course it was much less involved. Your cruise didn't visit any foreign countries so only had to deal with US protocols and the cruise line's own procedures.

Add to that the EU announcement for US visitors, Bermuda MAY, and I stress MAY, in conjunction with UK guidance shut the door after all. 

First, the UK is no longer part of the EU. Second, even if it were, the EU announcement is not binding on its member countries, it's only advisory. Third, EU sources have indicated the new protocols will not apply to vaccinated US citizens. Fourth, Bermuda, as a British Overseas Territory is independent with regard to its internal affairs and its COVID protocols are developed at home by the Bermudian government and are not the same as the UK's protocols.

Please, don't stress out over problems that don't even exist.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Too bad a deal couldn’t be worked out on just going to that little beach near boat docking. I believe it was called snorkel park beach. With vaccinations cards and pre board testing. Many of us on the east coast just want a cruise. Avoiding flights, driving to New York area for a cruise. Close off going to other areas of Bermuda unless you jump through all those other hoops. Same for cruises out of Florida I’m sure many cruisers would be happy with just going to private islands owned by cruise companies, especially if you got the drinks package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like Bermuda must be continuing to work with the cruise lines to adjust these protocols, since they haven't made the travel authorization form available for any sailings after 9/12 so far. They leads me to believe they are seeing how things go with these first couple Crystal sailings and then will make adjustments.

• Like 2