Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

3 hours ago, mikes said:

Wouldn't it be sufficient to have just one PCR test 72 hours before embarkation to satisfy both the Bermuda test and also the NCL "cover your expenses" test?

If you're already paying to get a rapid PCR test, then I would think 1 test within 72 hours would cover both. It's the waiting period of the normal PCR test that would make 72 hours too close for comfort for me.

• Like 1

Hey, new guy here... but not my first Cruise, this will be number 6 for me, my first on Royal, and the rest on NCL.

I'll be on the 10/31 Cruise, so I just got the email today, with the nice little "found here" link to the Bermuda's Website, and the $75 fee surprise... I'll be flying to LGA from Canada on the day of the Cruise, so I'll need a negative PCR test regardless 72 hours prior... I'll need to check with Switch Health and see what their turn around times are, I already have an at home test kit, since I'm and Uber Driver and we can get them for free by competing COVID-19 test kit returns for Uber Customers.

72 hours prior should suffice for the Airline, NCL, and Bermuda... If I don't get the "TA" from Bermuda before boarding for whatever reason, then it should arrive to my email while we are heading to Bermuda... Still not overly pleased about this additional fee, I have read through this entire thread, and I see that someone mentioned that Bermuda is not going to bend over backwards to attract tourists... But $75 seems a bit much for something that I'm sure is automated, looking at the test results, to make sure everyone is negative.

13 minutes ago, Wayne Edward said:

Hey, new guy here... but not my first Cruise, this will be number 6 for me, my first on Royal, and the rest on NCL.

I'll be on the 10/31 Cruise, so I just got the email today, with the nice little "found here" link to the Bermuda's Website, and the $75 fee surprise... I'll be flying to LGA from Canada on the day of the Cruise, so I'll need a negative PCR test regardless 72 hours prior... I'll need to check with Switch Health and see what their turn around times are, I already have an at home test kit, since I'm and Uber Driver and we can get them for free by competing COVID-19 test kit returns for Uber Customers.

72 hours prior should suffice for the Airline, NCL, and Bermuda... If I don't get the "TA" from Bermuda before boarding for whatever reason, then it should arrive to my email while we are heading to Bermuda... Still not overly pleased about this additional fee, I have read through this entire thread, and I see that someone mentioned that Bermuda is not going to bend over backwards to attract tourists... But $75 seems a bit much for something that I'm sure is automated, looking at the test results, to make sure everyone is negative.

It is definitely not automated, otherwise there wouldn't be a 24 hour turn around for authorizations. Also, that $75 fee up until now for cruises and air travel has covered the cost of a PCR test upon arrival in Bermuda. With Eurofins now doing our "arrival" PCR test at the pier upon embarkation, it is unclear who is actually footing the bill for that testing, but I don't imagine it is realistic for Bermuda to change their travel authorization fee for JUST sailings on the Breakaway when that is their standard fee for all travel to Bermuda.

@JamieLogical

Ahh, I guess that's this part of the email from NCL>>>

"In addition, every guest will have a PCR swab taken that will be sent to a lab separately and results processed in the following day as part of the Bermuda pre-arrival requirements."

I did send an email off to Bermuda just now, asking about the whole "TA" thing, if it's absolutely needed prior to boarding on the 31st, if I get the one test within 72 hours prior to cover my Airline and NCL... I don't see the issue getting the "TA" from Bermuda while heading towards them.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:44 PM, JamieLogical said:

Currently, as things stand for Crystal sailings at least, you would test first thing Wednesday morning and need your results in 48 hours in order to get them in time for Bermuda's 24 hour application processing. My husband and I took tests at two CVS locations in the Rochester, NY area last Wednesday. I had my results in 30 hours and he had his in 29 hours. So we feel pretty confident that our local CVS can get results to us fast enough for our Bermuda Travel Authorization. Your mileage may vary.

A Note to Manhattanites: 

I went to my CVS drug store to get info on their PCR test.

I was told that no CVS stores in Manhattan are conducting the PCS tests. Wondering if any of the other 4 Burroughs are conducting the tests. 

We will need to find alternative sites for testing. I don't expect to have any problems. 

Is anyone going to a hospital for the testing. I see that  Google has Presbyterian  Hospital on York Avenue as a test site. 

Sorry to be so specific I do realize that these issues are very specific and are  limited to a  specific audience. 

7 hours ago, Wayne Edward said:

@JamieLogical

Ahh, I guess that's this part of the email from NCL>>>

"In addition, every guest will have a PCR swab taken that will be sent to a lab separately and results processed in the following day as part of the Bermuda pre-arrival requirements."

I did send an email off to Bermuda just now, asking about the whole "TA" thing, if it's absolutely needed prior to boarding on the 31st, if I get the one test within 72 hours prior to cover my Airline and NCL... I don't see the issue getting the "TA" from Bermuda while heading towards them.

I’ve read somewhere that you have to have the TA from Bermuda to board the ship. I think it might have been in the email. Either that or Bermuda’s website for the TA. But you do need it to board the ship. They can’t go into Bermuda waters unless everyone is authorized. 

All of this is like the craziest hokey pokey I’ve ever done. 

5 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

A Note to Manhattanites: 

I was told that no CVS stores in Manhattan are conducting the PCS tests. Wondering if any of the other 4 Burroughs are conducting the tests. 

We will need to find alternative sites for testing. I don't expect to have any problems. 

Is anyone going to a hospital for the testing. I see that  Google has Presbyterian  Hospital on York Avenue as a test site. 

Sorry to be so specific I do realize that these issues are very specific and are  limited to a  specific audience. 

from what i noticed checking the CVS website, the only CVS that is doing PCR is ones that have a drive thru that require a car. they do not accept walk in. There is a few drive thru cvs in Queens and Brooklyn

I am on the 10/17 cruise and bet we will see people get turned away because they are not comprehending what needs to be done before boarding the ship. We are flying in the day of the cruise and according to the chart Jamie showed we are planning on getting our PCR test on Wednesday at CVS. I'll stop over beforehand and chat with them as I want to be sure of the turnaround time. If not 24 hours then I will check out Walgreens. I changed my flight from Albuquerque to get home a day earlier to take care of this. Have not told BF we are doing another one to satisfy NCL requirements the day after or 2 more at the pier. 😉 Surprise!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

A Note to Manhattanites: 

Where are you in the city? Staten Island has a a few that do the PCR with quick results. If you ned more info just ask and I'll give you some locations. My daughter gets tested weekly on Fridays and has her results by Saturday every week.

14 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

I have gotten it. I got called in to go over the results when it was done (around 15minutes, and they were busy at the time too) which was negative and they gave me a printout along with an updated page online for my results. 

I've also gone ahead and scheduled my family for the rapid PCR testing for the Bermuda requirements for Wednesday. Luckily we could get very early times so my daughter won’t miss school that day. I also plan on using our local CVS for the antigen tests. Though, I might cancel it because we will be driving in. 

Thanks for the info!

53 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

Where are you in the city? Staten Island has a a few that do the PCR with quick results. If you ned more info just ask and I'll give you some locations. My daughter gets tested weekly on Fridays and has her results by Saturday every week.

Hiya, which CVS in Staten Island does she use?  I saw three do the PCR test, so we were looking at the one in Tottleville or on Richmond Ave. Thanks!!

8 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

A Note to Manhattanites: 

CVS does it in sites that have a drive thru pharmacy. They have them in Brooklyn and Queens I know, check their website for locations

53 minutes ago, psac said:

Hiya, which CVS in Staten Island does she use?  I saw three do the PCR test, so we were looking at the one in Tottleville or on Richmond Ave. Thanks!!

She does not use CVS. This is a list of a few Island places. She goes to the Greenbelt Rec center. it is mid island and easy to get to if you drive. There is a bus stop close by, but a little hike to get into the center.  https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/covid-19-testing-sites/     Click the link and scroll down to Staten Island. They will do both tests if you want. PCR and rapid.

Edited by knitlady037

7 hours ago, knitlady037 said:

She does not use CVS. This is a list of a few Island places. She goes to the Greenbelt Rec center. it is mid island and easy to get to if you drive. There is a bus stop close by, but a little hike to get into the center.  https://www.nychealthandhospitals.org/covid-19-testing-sites/     Click the link and scroll down to Staten Island. They will do both tests if you want. PCR and rapid.

Thanks!  I didn’t know that was there. I thought the only thing there was Bigfoot. 🙂  Follow-up question, is there usually a wait when she gets the test?  We would be with my older in-laws who can’t stand a long time.  Is this your plan as well? (Or are you not on one of these sailings?).thanks again! 

I hate to have to ask but this all has me rather concerned.  I am booked on the 10/10 cruise.  I just booked an appointment for a rapid PCR test that will give me the results within 2 hours for Thursday 10/7.  I am intending to use this test for both the Bermuda TA Authorization and the 72 hours test for NCL.  Is there any issue with this?  Also, do we pay extra for the PCR test at the pier before we get on this ship?

Thanks.  This is all just very confusing and causes unneeded stress for everyone.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eynsteinp said:

I hate to have to ask but this all has me rather concerned.  I am booked on the 10/10 cruise.  I just booked an appointment for a rapid PCR test that will give me the results within 2 hours for Thursday 10/7.  I am intending to use this test for both the Bermuda TA Authorization and the 72 hours test for NCL.  Is there any issue with this?  Also, do we pay extra for the PCR test at the pier before we get on this ship?

Thanks.  This is all just very confusing and causes unneeded stress for everyone.

Hi.  I’m on the same cruise.  😃

First off, I’m curious how you found a PCR test with two hour results.  The fastest guarantee I’ve found is 24 hours.  Most say 24-36 hours.  Please make sure this is a PCR and not an antigen test.

With regard to using the same test for both Bermuda and the NCL “72 hour” test there was a post on one of the roll calls from NCL that said that they would accept the “92 hour” test required for Bermuda.  So a test on Wednesday should work for both.  Also, I don’t know if you’re traveling into NY for the trip, but note that NCL,s rule applies to 72 hours from your “travel date”, not the embarkation date.  I haven’t seen confirmation of this, but a clean read is if you fly into NY on Saturday that is your “travel date” so a Wednesday test should work for that as well.  

As far as NCL paying for both tests done on the pier, I assume they’re paying for both, but haven’t seen confirmation for sure about the PCR test required for Bermuda.

hope that helps and if anyone has other information please post it.  Including how to get the results of a PCR test in two hours.  😃

15 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

First off, I’m curious how you found a PCR test with two hour results.  The fastest guarantee I’ve found is 24 hours.  Most say 24-36 hours.  Please make sure this is a PCR and not an antigen test.

With regard to using the same test for both Bermuda and the NCL “72 hour” test there was a post on one of the roll calls from NCL that said that they would accept the “92 hour” test required for Bermuda.  So a test on Wednesday should work for both.  Also, I don’t know if you’re traveling into NY for the trip, but note that NCL,s rule applies to 72 hours from your “travel date”, not the embarkation date.  I haven’t seen confirmation of this, but a clean read is if you fly into NY on Saturday that is your “travel date” so a Wednesday test should work for that as well.  

As far as NCL paying for both tests done on the pier, I assume they’re paying for both, but haven’t seen confirmation for sure about the PCR test required for Bermuda.

hope that helps and if anyone has other information please post it.  Including how to get the results of a PCR test in two hours.  😃

All of this information is correct. The leader of the roll call for our call for the 9/26 sailing contacted the Vice President of Guest Services for NCL and was told that our negative PCR test four days out for Bermuda will make us all eligible for having travel/quarantine expenses covered if we test positive at the port.

Eurofins is administering the PCR and antigen tests at the pier free of charge to the passengers.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

This is what the test claims

• $199 - Rapid COVID 19 Active Virus (RT-PCR); once a sample is collected, results take approximately 30 minutes

I fond 2 or 3 other places in Las Vegas that claim the same turnaround.  When I called this place they told me it could be up to 2 hours but as fast as 30 minutes.

The RT-PCR is what we need, correct??

28 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

With the PCR test at the terminal, while NCL is paying Eurofins to do the testing. i think Bermuda might pay NCL/Eurofins some money to cover the costs of the testing which is why Bermuda require us to pay 75 dollars. In a roundabout confusing way, pretty sure there is some kind of money kickback in the behind the scenes

12 minutes ago, eynsteinp said:

This is what the test claims

• $199 - Rapid COVID 19 Active Virus (RT-PCR); once a sample is collected, results take approximately 30 minutes

I fond 2 or 3 other places in Las Vegas that claim the same turnaround.  When I called this place they told me it could be up to 2 hours but as fast as 30 minutes.

The RT-PCR is what we need, correct??

That sure looks like it will work.  I can’t find anyone near me that offers that.

2 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

That sure looks like it will work.  I can’t find anyone near me that offers that.

Great.  I appreciate the input because this lowers the stress levels for my wife and me.  Unfortunately it will cost $400 but the peace of mind is worth it.  This process is making things much more stressful!

12 minutes ago, eynsteinp said:

Great.  I appreciate the input because this lowers the stress levels for my wife and me.  Unfortunately it will cost $400 but the peace of mind is worth it.  This process is making things much more stressful!

It is stressful!  I wish they had that rapid test around here.  I’ll do mine at CVS Wednesday morning and hope and pray the results are returned in time.

57 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

All of this information is correct. The leader of the roll call for our call for the 9/26 sailing contacted the Vice President of Guest Services for NCL and was told that our negative PCR test four days out for Bermuda will make us all eligible for having travel/quarantine expenses covered if we test positive at the port.

Eurofins is administering the PCR and antigen tests at the pier free of charge to the passengers.

JamieLogical, that’s message that you are talking about was specifically addressed to the person who asked, not as I would assume a blanket claim for all passengers going to Bermuda. It never addressed that it would be okay for everyone. You have to be careful about that. I even stated that I would love to use that message, but I wouldn’t assume it was for everyone, but just the person who’s name was on it. Perhaps we should call to find out if it is okay for everyone before making that assumption? 

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

With the PCR test at the terminal, while NCL is paying Eurofins to do the testing. i think Bermuda might pay NCL/Eurofins some money to cover the costs of the testing which is why Bermuda require us to pay 75 dollars. In a roundabout confusing way, pretty sure there is some kind of money kickback in the behind the scenes

Yes, on the Crystal sailings to Bermuda and with air flights into Bermuda, the $75 for the travel authorization included PCR tests upon arrival. I assume that since our PCR tests at the pier are meeting the "arrival" test requirement for Bermuda, they are footing the bill for at least part of that, since they are no longer having to conduct the tests themselves.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

What the VP of Guest Services should have done is send a revised/updated letter to all clients stating just that. They need to say in writing that the test taken for Bermuda's TA process 96 hours in advance satisfies NCL pre-pier arrival testing recommendation. 

• Like 2