Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

BA just left Rome and is enroute to Barcelona, I think at least that piece is looking positive. 

I’m very confident that NCL is in discussions with Bermuda. They can’t afford for one of two things to occur, first passengers get left behind due to the Gov’t of Bermuda’s inability to execute their own pre-cruise plan and two, upon arrival in Bermuda significant time (as in a lost port day entirely or more)  is wasted or there is a chaotic situation due to an unrealistic plan on the part of Bermuda. NCL can’t and won’t put themselves in a position where this happens, so knowing how strong NCL is with negotiations and leverage with its stakeholders (don’t ask me how I know this) I’m thinking the pressure is on by NCL as we speak. If they can’t reach a deal, NCL has been known to change plans to protect the brand, and they have a lot of stake in that game right now with CDC and Florida, etc. 

We’re booked for the 26th. For me just sailing on BA out of NY is the exciting part for us being locals here, like the old days. They could sail me to Nassau and back (not a big fan) and I really wouldn’t care. Thats just us though. 

Anyway just my $0.02

The government of Bermuda has consistently had some of the world's most stringent protocols for both air and sea arrivals from Day 1 of their reopening in addition to strict protocols to be followed while in the country.

Bermuda has seen a substantial rise in COVID cases in recent days. https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210903/covid-cases-surge-seven-in-hospital-one-in-icu/ .

Bermuda's a small, isolated country with one hospital. Their healthcare system could get overwhelmed by a severe COVID outbreak.

If you think that Bermuda's going to ease its protocols just so NCL can more easily run its cruises I think you're sadly mistaken.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If you think that Bermuda's going to ease its protocols just so NCL can more easily run its cruises I think you're sadly mistaken.

I agree with this statement. I don't see Bermuda lowering the bar for a large cruise ship. If anything, it could be just the opposite. 

• Like 4

Bahamas here we come?  

As a comparison for other cruise lines, if you scroll you can see what Disney is requiring for their Bahamas cruises. It’s just upload proof of vaccinations for adults (or extra PCR testing for kids) and all passengers tested at the port.  No Visas or authorizations required. But they are only visiting their private island (1-2 days depending on length of cruise) and not going to Nassau. 

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/advisory/

35 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Royal Caribbean just changed their requirements for the antigen test from 72 hours to 48 hours but said nothing about a visa for the Bahamas if coming by ship.

Royal doesn’t do* port testing which is why they have the bring your own 48 hr test. *I think they do have limited testing at the port for those that haven’t done their own, but they heavily discourage waiting for that. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The government of Bermuda has consistently had some of the world's most stringent protocols for both air and sea arrivals from Day 1 of their reopening in addition to strict protocols to be followed while in the country.

Bermuda has seen a substantial rise in COVID cases in recent days. https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210903/covid-cases-surge-seven-in-hospital-one-in-icu/ .

Having read that article, I would not be surprised to see Bermuda shut down visits completely.  If I did the math right, 12 of the current cases are from arriving visitors via airline, of which 80% of those were vaccinated.  Bermuda not being bigger than a small city can't let that continue.   And...they sound like they are buried right now just taking care of contact tracing and their other Covid issues.  It said for residents to expect delay with test results.  I can't see how they can approve several thousand TAs in just the needed one  or two days to get them back to shop visitors.  

Edited by roger001

2 hours ago, psac said:

You don’t need a visa for cruises to Bahamas private islands (none of the other cruise lines are requiring them), but I don’t know about Nassau.  All adults do need vaccinations, which obviously we pass.  

This link indicates the Bahama Covid requirements apply to private islands. https://disneycruiselineblog.com/2021/08/bahamas-imposing-new-restrictions-on-cruise-ships-including-stops-at-private-islands/

5 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Yeah specifically the issue was the vaccines — before then DCL was saying adults could travel without vaccines. After that change from the Bahamas they had to change that, a lot of cancellations because of that. 

Bermuda has very strict rules for all travelers and their economy does not rely on cruise ships as much as some of the other Caribbean's do.   Dont expect bermuda to bend over backwards to welcome more ships.

They set max occupancy for cruise ships too.  I think 40 or 50% was acceptable last I heard.

Royal was unable to come to terms with bermuda demands and is why they cancelled their sailings out of bermuda this summer.

Look at Viking sailings since June, they do  salvia covid test of each passenger every day.   They have been sailing with max capacity of 450 passengers.  They have had very few cases pop up but those that did test positive were taken off the ship to stay at one of the quarantine hotels bermuda has set up, at their own expense.   Hotels are not cheap in bermuda the average room is $250 to $500 and up per night, plus food and other expenses for covid tests, etc.  

Make sure your travel insurance will cover quarantine expenses even if asymptomatic.

Royal has several ships stopping Nassau and do not need the bahamas health visa to get off the ship.   I have read on many live threads that a lot of shops and places are still closed or out of business in nassau.   We always enjoy spending the day at Blue Lagoon.  Not a fan of Atlantis but I previously heard Atlantis was allowing day passes for fully vaccinated travelers only, not a problem for passengers of NCL cruisers since sailing with 100%vaxxed.  

Barbados on or about aug 23rd set new protocols for all travelers including cruise ships.  These are also very stringent.  

There are still some islands not allowing ships.  Mexico will accept just about anyone but even they require people to mask up in cozumel, etc.

Most of the caribbean islands are having trouble getting vaccines and unfortunately are far behind with getting their locals vaccinated.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Bermuda has very strict rules for all travelers and their economy does not rely on cruise ships as much as some of the other Caribbean's do.   Dont expect bermuda to bend over backwards to welcome more ships.

They set max occupancy for cruise ships too.  I think 40 or 50% was acceptable last I heard.

Royal was unable to come to terms with bermuda demands and is why they cancelled their sailings out of bermuda this summer.

Look at Viking sailings since June, they do  salvia covid test of each passenger every day.   They have been sailing with max capacity of 450 passengers.  They have had very few cases pop up but those that did test positive were taken off the ship to stay at one of the quarantine hotels bermuda has set up, at their own expense.   Hotels are not cheap in bermuda the average room is $250 to $500 and up per night, plus food and other expenses for covid tests, etc.  

Make sure your travel insurance will cover quarantine expenses even if asymptomatic.

Royal has several ships stopping Nassau and do not need the bahamas health visa to get off the ship.   I have read on many live threads that a lot of shops and places are still closed or out of business in nassau.   We always enjoy spending the day at Blue Lagoon.  Not a fan of Atlantis but I previously heard Atlantis was allowing day passes for fully vaccinated travelers only, not a problem for passengers of NCL cruisers since sailing with 100%vaxxed.  

Barbados on or about aug 23rd set new protocols for all travelers including cruise ships.  These are also very stringent.  

There are still some islands not allowing ships.  Mexico will accept just about anyone but even they require people to mask up in cozumel, etc.

Most of the caribbean islands are having trouble getting vaccines and unfortunately are far behind with getting their locals vaccinated.

Can I ask where you read the maximum capacity for ships was 40% or 50%? I have looked around and am not finding this information. I'm curious because it conflicts with what NCL has been promoting, which is 60% (though, I'm noticing they have been doing more like 70% from what people have been posting for the Alaska cruises). 

2 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Can I ask where you read the maximum capacity for ships was 40% or 50%? I have looked around and am not finding this information. I'm curious because it conflicts with what NCL has been promoting, which is 60% (though, I'm noticing they have been doing more like 70% from what people have been posting for the Alaska cruises). 

I read somewhere on the bermuda.gov website and they were also talking about it on the viking ocean thread.

• Thanks 1

So I have been looking at stuff and realized that we must get a PCR test 4 days out for Bermuda. Then 3 days out get another PCR test for NCL. And then another test at embankment. Then finally a test when we get to Bermuda. 

4 tests per person. Within 1 week. 2 of them back to back. Huh. 

1 minute ago, SwimmingDragon said:

So I have been looking at stuff and realized that we must get a PCR test 4 days out for Bermuda. Then 3 days out get another PCR test for NCL. And then another test at embankment. Then finally a test when we get to Bermuda. 

NCL does not require the PCR test prior to the cruise. that test 72 hours before departure is optional

From my understanding, you just need the PCR test for Bermuda prior to sail date. Then the NCL test on embarkation day and then finally another Bermuda PCR test when the ship docks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwimmingDragon said:

The test for NCL does not need to be a PCR. It can be an antigen. Also, as mentioned, it's not required. The main reason to get it is so you can be reimbursed for quarantine/travel expenses if you test positive at the pier. With testing 4 days out for Bermuda, if you test negative, up to you of you want to roll the dice on testing positive at the pier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The test for NCL does not need to be a PCR. It can be an antigen. Also, as mentioned, it's not required. The main reason to get it is so you can be reimbursed for quarantine/travel expenses if you test positive at the pier. With testing 4 days out for Bermuda, if you test negative, up to you of you want to roll the dice on testing positive at the pier.

I thought the NCL test was also to make sure you would get reimbursed for your cruise and or cruise credit if you did test positive, not just travel and quarantine expenses.  And thanks for the heads up about it being able to be an antigen test. 🙂

Well, NCL still hasn't given any protocols for their Bermuda cruises.  I'm really hoping that NCL will waive the 72 hr test and just accept the PCR test 4 days prior for Bermuda cruises.

But seeing as that would make sense it probably wouldn't happen.  LOL!

11 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

I thought the NCL test was also to make sure you would get reimbursed for your cruise and or cruise credit if you did test positive, not just travel and quarantine expenses.  And thanks for the heads up about it being able to be an antigen test. 🙂

That part is pretty unclear in the current FAQ and has been the subject of much debate. The quarantine and travel expenses are clear. Whether cruise fare will be refunded/FCC returned is still pretty ambiguous.

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That part is pretty unclear in the current FAQ and has been the subject of much debate. The quarantine and travel expenses are clear. Whether cruise fare will be refunded/FCC returned is still pretty ambiguous.

And that's the part that is concerning to me.  I feel like they will use any loophole to not have to pay out any money.

If they require the test for Bermuda cruises, then I'll get it.  Better to have all the bases covered just in case.  At least it can be an antigen test which is relatively easy to get.

Still hoping NCL will try to make all this a little easier on their passengers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Hey JamieLogical, I'll be curious to see what you think of the difference in # of people on both cruises to Bermuda. I'll be on the second cruise 10/3. I've been trying to figure out the percentage of people for that cruise. And from what I can tell it is going to be rather empty compared to the first cruise out, which you pointed out was pretty much sold out. <-- I'm guessing because it's a "1st" cruise out thing. I know that's a thing. But what intrigues me is how different the numbers are going to be to the second one. If anything, I'm hoping this will make it easier when getting to the island for the next set of tests from Bermuda's gov.  

33 minutes ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Hey JamieLogical, I'll be curious to see what you think of the difference in # of people on both cruises to Bermuda. I'll be on the second cruise 10/3. I've been trying to figure out the percentage of people for that cruise. And from what I can tell it is going to be rather empty compared to the first cruise out, which you pointed out was pretty much sold out. <-- I'm guessing because it's a "1st" cruise out thing. I know that's a thing. But what intrigues me is how different the numbers are going to be to the second one. If anything, I'm hoping this will make it easier when getting to the island for the next set of tests from Bermuda's gov.  

I will try to check inventory and run the numbers this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I will try to check inventory and run the numbers this afternoon.

I was running numbers for all the rooms. Looks like 40 - 45 is what I can come up with. Of course there is some serious guestimating there. But I'm trying to use logic for some of it. 🙂

2 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

I was running numbers for all the rooms. Looks like 40 - 45 is what I can come up with. Of course there is some serious guestimating there. But I'm trying to use logic for some of it. 🙂

Just finished checking the inventory. Prices on all balcony cabins dropped by another $100, btw, so if you are booked in a balcony, might be worth giving NCL a call about compensation.

There are at least 862 total rooms available on the 10/3 sailing. At double occupancy, that would be 43.5% of the Breakaway's 3963 capacity. So the ship is currently, at most, 56.5% full. But remember, I can't see more than 100 rooms in any single category. There are a couple of balcony categories that have at least that many rooms available.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Just finished checking the inventory. Prices on all balcony cabins dropped by another $100, btw, so if you are booked in a balcony, might be worth giving NCL a call about compensation.

There are at least 862 total rooms available on the 10/3 sailing. At double occupancy, that would be 43.5% of the Breakaway's 3963 capacity. So the ship is currently, at most, 56.5% full. But remember, I can't see more than 100 rooms in any single category. There are a couple of balcony categories that have at least that many rooms available.

Did you get a number for the 26th? Sounds like it might be higher?

1 minute ago, BoundForSea said:

Did you get a number for the 26th? Sounds like it might be higher?

For the 26th, we had reached the 60% threshold when they flagged almost every category as sold out. Since they did that, it's not possible for me to get any kind of accurate count, because they aren't showing how many rooms are left in all those "sold out" categories. I think it's safe to say they are on target for 60% on that one and just left a couple of categories open to cover late cancellations.

25 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

For the 26th, we had reached the 60% threshold when they flagged almost every category as sold out. Since they did that, it's not possible for me to get any kind of accurate count, because they aren't showing how many rooms are left in all those "sold out" categories. I think it's safe to say they are on target for 60% on that one and just left a couple of categories open to cover late cancellations.

Thanks Jaim. Appreciate it. Makes sense to me.