Evening attire on Edge.

RMS Olympic

On 8/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, canderson said:

Where was it sailing at the time?  Seems to be making a difference.

We see a huge difference between Med and Caribbean cruises.  The Med cruises were definitely dressier.  "Evening Chic" nights were very dressy and on other evenings you never saw shorts nor tee shirts in the MDR. 

We still dress for dinner in the MDR no matter what. DH wears a suit and I wear sundresses, long and short as well as dressy tops and slacks.  It's fun!

• Like 2

One casual night on Edge my husband wore his blue blazer because they really had the air conditioning cranked.  At less than full capacity it was overkill that night.  We were actually cold in the Caribbean and my husband is rarely cold.

9 hours ago, gbphipps said:

One casual night on Edge my husband wore his blue blazer because they really had the air conditioning cranked.  At less than full capacity it was overkill that night.  We were actually cold in the Caribbean and my husband is rarely cold.

LOL -  one way to get men to wear jackets....

I trust it was a good evening other than that...

bon voyage

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Evening Chic does not apply in Luminae......Nice picture though....

That being the case, the trends I’ve seen regarding dress up is now limited to only certain venues and on certain nights.  Even at that, few participate.  I’ve always felt that I’m not the arbiter of the way people dress.  And, they won’t impact the way I dress.

I counted two suits on men all week on both “Chic” nights.  That’s not a good, nor a bad thing.  It’s just the way it is.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

That being the case, the trends I’ve seen regarding dress up is now limited to only certain venues and on certain nights.  Even at that, few participate.  I’ve always felt that I’m not the arbiter of the way people dress.  And, they won’t impact the way I dress.

I counted two suits on men all week on both “Chic” nights.  That’s not a good, nor a bad thing.  It’s just the way it is.

Amazing how some get in such a dither about the way others decide to dress.  🤔

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Amazing how some get in such a dither about the way others decide to dress.  🤔

I had a woman yell at my daughter and I at 6:05P.M  while we were coming from the pool to our room in our bathing suits. Years ago the dress code applied throughout the ship after 6:00PM. She didn’t know the policy had been changed several years before.

I learned a long time ago to MYOB because most of the time you don’t know the circumstances.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 3

We had a busybody make a stupid comment about us while standing in line in front of her and her husband (?) waiting to enter the MDR one evening that we overheard because we were dressed formally on a casual evening. Oh no say it's not so! Of course I didn't let the stupid comment go without me saying something sarcastic back at her. Agree, MYOB! 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We had a busybody make a stupid comment about us while standing in line in front of her and her husband (?) waiting to enter the MDR one evening that we overheard because we were dressed formally on a casual evening.

Which could have been due to nothing more sinister than a photo shoot before dinner, or any other number of possible reasons.  I agree.  Can't blame you for responding, either!

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

I had a woman yell at my daughter and I at 6:05P.M  while we were coming from the pool to our room in our bathing suits.

I hope you put that woman in her place, no excuse for anyone to yell at a child over something like a  dress code.

Edited by terrydtx

Just now, terrydtx said:

I hope you put that woman in her place, no excuse for anyone to yell at a child over a dumb dress code.

I explained her rudeness to my daughter but in a voice that she could hear, I think her husband wanted to crawl under the nearest rock which of course on the shi did not exist.

• Like 1

We will be on the Edge for the second time in January. This will be our 13 cruise with Celebrity. Yes, the attire for the other cruiser have changed over the years but we still think it's better to be over-dressed then under-dressed. 

Edited by sun bum
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, canderson said:

Which could have been due to nothing more sinister than a photo shoot before dinner, or any other number of possible reasons.  I agree.  Can't blame you for responding, either!

Celebrating a special occasion which included a predinner kodak moment. 

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I prefer something more low-key to blend in....

05_19BudweiserLifestyle-6766-Edit_800x.jpg

I’d love to see the looks on the face of the clothes police when you wear that to an MDR or Luminae!  BTW it totally screams evening chic.

It’s beyond me why some people will bother to count who is wearing a tuxedo on a chic night!

Then there are others who want to give a percentage on the low uptake of those wishing to dress up on chic nights.

Could it be jealously or an inferiority complex?

I dress up,  not just on chic nights, because my wife loves to. Pure and simple. I don’t give a monkeys what others choose to wear.

On our Edge inaugural cruise I took two Tuxedos regardless of the aircraft hold luggage allowance. Another subject that produces pathetic excuses IMHO.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

It’s sad to hear people make rude comments concerning someone else’s appearance. But then again that’s nothing new. One too many times in my younger cruising days people made comments concerning my formal attire on formal nights. Usually....hey, it’s not costume night buddy.

I was in my Marine Corps dress blues or dress whites.

Unfortunately I could not respond in the way I wanted to.

One time it was on Seabourn....so cash don’t guarantee class.

So for the edge...I’m going tasteful yet comfy.

Now where’s my lemon drop martini😛