Top tips for first time in a Silhouette sky suite

ela123

Well I wish I could delete or amend a previous post.

The suite butler and staff are amazing and my biggest problem will be trying to afford another suite in the future but I’m not going to eat for the next year so will save some money.

I will, however, eat humble pie instead!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

The suite butler and staff are amazing and my biggest problem will be trying to afford another suite in the future but I’m not going to eat for the next year so will save some money.

So what changed your mind? Anything in particular.

55 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

If you are worried that people felt differently than you did about Luminae or anything else, don't.  Nothing you said was nasty or wrong.  You had your opinion of things. Just because you pay a lot of money for something doesn't mean that you can't have things you didn't like about it.  All good. You shouldn't worry.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

So pleased your experience obviously improved....

It may help future cruisers if you can explain how things improved..

Did things just get better?

Did you voice concerns to staff?

Just so pleased you have had a wonderful time! Sometimes there is a real communication problem on cruises. Guests are reluctant to ‘complain’ and staff don’t tend to react unless a complaint is made...The obviously consequence being some guests leave the ship feeling dissatisfied and staff do not know the reason why....

Just so pleased you enjoyed yourself, swjumbo!

Edited by chemmo

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

We have stayed in a sky suite twice before.  The butler announced both times that they had too many suites to take care of.  So, the butlers were not available.  I have booked a Celebrity Suite this time and am hopeful that the butler is better.  We are not demanding folks, just disappointed in the very few services the butler actually did.  

We had great butlers our two times in sky suite, they were better than our butler in royal suite. But last month penthouse suite butler was always there for anything  . I would talk to concierge if butler said he was too busy, hope you didn’t tip them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

We have stayed in a sky suite twice before.  The butler announced both times that they had too many suites to take care of.  So, the butlers were not available.  I have booked a Celebrity Suite this time and am hopeful that the butler is better.  We are not demanding folks, just disappointed in the very few services the butler actually did.  

I have never heard a Butler say that to us even once before. Unbelievable.

If this ever happens again please ask the Retreat Concierge to contact the Suite Manager and ask him to meet with you in private. Those two Butlers needed some additional “training”. Taking care of the Suite guests is their job. Depending upon their guests' requests sometimes they can be very busy. But if they can’t handle their job, they should be telling their manager that, not the guests.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I have never heard a Butler say that to us even once before. Unbelievable.

If this ever happens again please ask the Retreat Concierge to contact the Suite Manager and ask him to meet with you in private. Those two Butlers needed some additional “training”. Taking care of the Suite guests is their job. Depending upon their guests' requests sometimes they can be very busy. But if they can’t handle their job, they should be telling their manager that, not the guests.

Open, honest communication (not ranting) is so important on a cruise or in any service industry.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever had to "complain" about anything on board, well then again I can also count on one hand the number of cruises (5) that I have been on.  Well, it is actually 6 but I have erased Carnival from my memory. Hopefully 2022 will change that and I will need another finger (2) on another hand.  But seriously, do speak with a manger in any area when you feel that something like this has happened, 99.9% of the time it can and will be fixed.  Stayed in a butler type suite on all but one of them and everything about it was magical.  Had I encountered a situation like yours, I'd of def been talking to the suite manager.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Open, honest communication (not ranting) is so important on a cruise or in any service industry.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever had to "complain" about anything on board, well then again I can also count on one hand the number of cruises (5) that I have been on.  Well, it is actually 6 but I have erased Carnival from my memory. Hopefully 2022 will change that and I will need another finger (2) on another hand.  But seriously, do speak with a manger in any area when you feel that something like this has happened, 99.9% of the time it can and will be fixed.  Stayed in a butler type suite on all but one of them and everything about it was magical.  Had I encountered a situation like yours, I'd of def been talking to the suite manager.

I think that because we are not demanding nor ranting, we are told they are very, very busy.  I was told that the 3 pm delivery of coffee and/or snacks was ended because of the retreat lounge.  I always loved a cup of coffee on the balcony in the afternoon.  We've been on over 25 cruises, with the last three being in suites.  Two on Celebrity (loved) and one on NCL (never again!).

12 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I think that because we are not demanding nor ranting, we are told they are very, very busy.  I was told that the 3 pm delivery of coffee and/or snacks was ended because of the retreat lounge.  I always loved a cup of coffee on the balcony in the afternoon.  We've been on over 25 cruises, with the last three being in suites.  Two on Celebrity (loved) and one on NCL (never again!).

We're pretty laid back and not demanding either (and ranting is a waste of energy.) 😊

But you were  paying for service that was not being provided. X can't fix a problem if they aren’t aware of it. It's true that the afternoon tea service in the suites was replaced with tea and coffee in the Retreat. But if a Butler can deliver cocktails to a suite guest's cabin why can't they deliver coffee, etc.?

Our butler was usually in the Retreat lounge during the period of afternoon tea, perhaps this is why they are not available to offer room service at that time. Having said that, ‘usual’ room service should have been able to deliver what ever beverage you requested. 

As you are leaving from Southampton you will have a kettle and tea/coffee provided in your room.

Never had a bad butler. If you let them know what you want they will try to accommodate you.

Suites are bigger you will not have to shimmy round bed. Bath also. bigger balcony

If you don't want the canapes they will bring cheese and biscuits or fruit platter.

We always ask to have the mini bar emptied and put our own drinks in it.

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

Our butler was usually in the Retreat lounge during the period of afternoon tea, perhaps this is why they are not available to offer room service at that time. Having said that, ‘usual’ room service should have been able to deliver what ever beverage you requested. 

On our last cruise in July, our Butler was only in the Retreat for afternoon tea service and happy hour one time. The Butlers normally have a rotating schedule.

25 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

On our last cruise in July, our Butler was only in the Retreat for afternoon tea service and happy hour one time. The Butlers normally have a rotating schedule.

If your own butler is on the Retreat rotation they can/should be able to arrange another butler to deliver what you want.

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

?

Pot of hot water, perhaps?

All cruises from Southampton have a kettle...A consequence of all uk citizens being renown as tea drinkers.... On cruises throughout the world we have always requested and received a kettle and tea tray...

My hot water bottle is ready for packing for our staycation cruise...If the weather is not good I will use the kettle to fill my hot water bottle and cuddle up on the balcony wrapped in blankets but will still savour the sea air!...Waited too long for this cruise not to enjoy every minute!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, chemmo said:

If your own butler is on the Retreat rotation they can/should be able to arrange another butler to deliver what you want.

I totally agree. And that is what they’ve told us on past cruises when it was necessary.

We liked Luminae for Breakfast only.    It was often closed for Lunch and at Dinner it was busy and noisy.    The special entrees were often not to our liking and the standard entrees can be had anywhere on the ship.    We now book the RS and above so we can eat lunch and dinner in Specialties and avoid Luminae.    

58 minutes ago, chemmo said:

All cruises from Southampton have a kettle...A consequence of all uk citizens being renown as tea drinkers.... On cruises throughout the world we have always requested and received a kettle and tea tray...

My hot water bottle is ready for packing for our staycation cruise...If the weather is not good I will use the kettle to fill my hot water bottle and cuddle up on the balcony wrapped in blankets but will still savour the sea air!...Waited too long for this cruise not to enjoy every minute!

Wow.  Would have expected those to fall into the 'coffee pot' category in the 'don't even think about bringing one of these aboard' list, so never thought to ask about having one brought to us!

I suppose we should try asking for an 'official' Celebrity kettle, then.  We'd love to have one in our suite.  We have a Bigelow tea that we particularly enjoy in the evenings.

Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

I have to say on my recent staycation our butler was not good at all, and when I spoke to the concierge about it , I was brushed off! Only thing I asked for was a needle abs thread to fix a dress I wanted to wear and never saw him again except hanging round his friends in the shops and giving them the card wallets that are normally for guests.  Oh he did make an appearance on the last day looking for additional tips! 

I do know other guests on our cruise who had excellent service from him.  I just hope my next cruise in a few weeks I don’t have the same butler.  

I also found luminae was not as great as previously , with a couple of off meals , put first day down to change over , but on 2nd day we spoke to maitre d’ and she was excellent and food quality improved significantly.  Most of the time they do everything they can.  I do think where they are 100% capacity for suites on staycations it is more challenging with less staff on board.  

with regard to special events - the only invite we had the whole trip was to book a cruise , disappointing there was no entertainment jn the lounge or invites to anything .  But I appreciate this is a consequence of CoViD . 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:27 PM, chemmo said:

So pleased your experience obviously improved....

It may help future cruisers if you can explain how things improved..

Did things just get better?

Did you voice concerns to staff?

Just so pleased you have had a wonderful time! Sometimes there is a real communication problem on cruises. Guests are reluctant to ‘complain’ and staff don’t tend to react unless a complaint is made...The obviously consequence being some guests leave the ship feeling dissatisfied and staff do not know the reason why....

Just so pleased you enjoyed yourself, swjumbo!

Things got very much better after posting here! They (Celebrity) must monitor these forums, in fact they’d be silly not to.

The suite experience has been amazing and we have loved every minute of it and met some amazing people.

These are challenging times for this industry. The movement of crews with the ever changing Covid rules must be a nightmare.

We have had the privilege of being invited into other suites for a look but will have no hesitation in booking a Sky Suite again.

If you are lucky enough to gain entry into the Retreat lounge grab a seat by the door and listen to the complaints of some fellow guests. The Retreat hosts have the patience of saints!!!

On 8/18/2021 at 11:17 PM, Keddy72 said:

But I appreciate this is a consequence of CoViD . 

Why would this be a consequence of covid? With the ships running with far fewer passengers there is no reason they can’t provide the things that they advertise.

While covid has an obvious impact of safety precautions too many companies are using it as an excuse to not provide what they promise in their advertising blurbs while still charging full price.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:04 AM, swjumbo said:

I’m writing this as a Celebrity fan and a first time suite resident.

The cabin/room/suite is amazing.

Luminae was very average and we will not be going back. 
Is there a butler? 
No turn down service last night either.
The Retreat is lovely and to be honest if we had a regular cabin with the Retreat amenities then we’d be very happy.

At this moment, in the middle of the North Sea, we’re both extremely disappointed.

Wanted it to be so much more and quite frankly it isn’t. 

This is average?

IMG_20160909_230244501.thumb.jpg.d889f0a7b6e05ae709f14460bac5aafa.jpg

On 8/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, Momma Rene said:

I hope you have a better Butler for your CS  although the Butler we had in a Royal Suite was our least favorite.   They all have about 10-12 suites to take care of and 1 or 2 demanding passengers can take up the majority of their time.

15 hours ago, jelayne said:

I hope you have a better Butler for your CS  although the Butler we had in a Royal Suite was our least favorite.   

I agree that levels of service can vary. We have never had a really ‘bad’ butler but we have had different levels of service over many cruises.

The OK butler who does everything you ask.

The good butler who does everything you ask and asks you if there is anything else you want.

The excellent butler who does all the above and may offer suggestions of other things he could do for you.

The exceptional butler who simply goes above and beyond to make your experience even better. He anticipates what you may enjoy...He notices that you have invited friends into your suite and knocks a few minutes later with a selection of snacks, you mention to him as  you return to your room that you are going to watch a film and minutes later he arrives with a bowl of popcorn, he asks you if you have any plans for lunch on a sea day and offers to arrange you something special.

On most cruises our Butlers have been somewhere between good and excellent. No complaints at all.

I have on several posts in the past as well as this one stressed the importance of asking the butler for what you want rather than waiting for him to offer things. I do think the afternoon tea delivery used to help minimise communication breakdowns as it was a clear point everyday when your butler visited you. Now, unless you ask for something on a daily basis you may not see your butler for days. The new suite guest may not know what to ask for and be reluctant to phone, the butler may simply think the guests want to be left alone. At the end of the cruise the guest is disappointed and rates the butler low, the butler doesn’t know until that point that the guests did want more from him...

On 8/18/2021 at 11:17 PM, Keddy72 said:

with regard to special events - the only invite we had the whole trip was to book a cruise , disappointing there was no entertainment jn the lounge or invites to anything .  But I appreciate this is a consequence of CoViD . 

A pity, but as you say possibly a consequence of present circumstances. Organising events usually means grouping people together, exactly what they want to avoid at present.

Was there a helipad sail away on your cruise? I thought that might be one event they could run...

For guests who have not cruised suites before there is usually a letter in your room listing the planned events (meet the officers, musical special in the Retreat...). Sometimes the concierge will telephone to remind you of events but not always so you do need to check your list. Also in ‘normal’ times you can speak to the concierge early in the cruise and express an interest in doing a galley tour, a bridge tour or something else and they usually will do their best to accommodate you.

Edited by chemmo