Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

9 hours ago, tracyfitzs said:

So you have been awarded you upgrade for a July 3 sailing? That seems early. 

In the past I have won 3 upgrades, never one in the last week of cruising, in fact the first was 28 days before cruising.

• Like 1

Submitted 3 different Haven bids for our cruise on the Escape, departing Civitavecchia on August 3. I've seen a couple folks whose upgrade bids for balcony cabins were accepted already. I am also tracking which cabin classes appear sold out, and all the classes we bid on appear sold out, when earlier this week there were a number of cabins available. Is it common for upgrades to be awarded from the lower class of cabin first and then shuffle to the higher class of cabin? And is it common for cabin classes to appear sold out once they start awarding upgrades, or is it only if they are purchased outright? 

Just trying to figure out if lots of folks are taking advantage of a last minute deal, or if upgrade awards are resulting in all these recent "sold out" notifications. For what it's worth, all three of our bids still say "pending" - the largest bid (still boardering on "poor" for us) is grouped separately at the top of the update page.

1 hour ago, mpschaff said:

Submitted 3 different Haven bids for our cruise on the Escape, departing Civitavecchia on August 3. I've seen a couple folks whose upgrade bids for balcony cabins were accepted already. I am also tracking which cabin classes appear sold out, and all the classes we bid on appear sold out, when earlier this week there were a number of cabins available. Is it common for upgrades to be awarded from the lower class of cabin first and then shuffle to the higher class of cabin? And is it common for cabin classes to appear sold out once they start awarding upgrades, or is it only if they are purchased outright? 

Just trying to figure out if lots of folks are taking advantage of a last minute deal, or if upgrade awards are resulting in all these recent "sold out" notifications. For what it's worth, all three of our bids still say "pending" - the largest bid (still boardering on "poor" for us) is grouped separately at the top of the update page.

I once got an upgrade (pre covid) more than 90 days out. From sold-out family OV to balcony.  They will sometimes award upgrades early if they have excess higher-level cabins and think they have a better chance of reselling the cheaper ones.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, eeluk said:

It shows that the Getaway on the 27th is sold out of the Haven.  I've bid on all the haven rooms except the owners.  

Am I reduced to hoping that people that have booked the Haven will cancel?  Or is it possible they hold some back for upgrades?  Or maybe some travel agents have first dibs and the rooms will be released right before the cruise?

Data mining, even if it’s sold out they still take that information you bid and put it into the database to forecast future cruises, patterns, pricing etc.

• Thanks 2

On 6/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, Linsuesue said:

Thanks a million for posting this! I didn’t even know it existed. I was recently offered the chance to upgrade. My bid is so low that chances are slim, but I can at least keep track of it this way. 

Hi there how do I go about using this link? If it states pending once I put in my details (last name & reservation) is that a good sign? Do I still have an opportunity to increase my bid?

41 minutes ago, rabadipscavern said:

Hi there how do I go about using this link? If it states pending once I put in my details (last name & reservation) is that a good sign? Do I still have an opportunity to increase my bid?

When I click on mine, it still shows pending. There is a button to click on that says, “modify”. I presume, if you click on that, you can modify your bid up or down. 

• Like 1

If your bid is not accepted will NCL make a deal to upgrade upon boarding if the ship is not sold out? Can you go to reception and ask how much it would cost to change cabins? All I want is to go from an inside to an outside or balcony on Dawn in August. I can see plenty of empty cabins. If I pay now to get a better cabin I would lose all my amenities according to my TA.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Which amenities?

3 specialty dinners package, free internet minutes. I booked this cruise over a year ago with a great deal. When St. Petersburg was dropped I got another 20% off. My TA said if I go up in cabin category it's treated like a new booking and current prices are much much higher now.

Edited by susiesan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

3 specialty dinners package, free internet minutes. I booked this cruise over a year ago with a great deal. When St. Petersburg was dropped I got another 20% off.

You shouldn't lose those unless the promo is no longer offered. Right now NCL website is showing all four offers for the August Dawn sailings. Not sure about airfare, if it's something that was part of your original deal, however I upgraded to Haven about two weeks prior to sailing in Dec. on the Getaway (couldn't stand the wait to see if my bid would be accepted!), and although the airfare deal was no longer offered it was still honored since the tickets were already issued. We did lose the two extra Latitudes points, but all other offers were still available. Note that you may need to remind the agent you want to keep your offers, they dropped them for some unknown reason when I upgraded in December and I noticed it after getting the new confirmation, had to call and add them back in! Hope this helps!

40 minutes ago, LKCCruiser said:

You shouldn't lose those unless the promo is no longer offered. Right now NCL website is showing all four offers for the August Dawn sailings. Not sure about airfare, if it's something that was part of your original deal, however I upgraded to Haven about two weeks prior to sailing in Dec. on the Getaway (couldn't stand the wait to see if my bid would be accepted!), and although the airfare deal was no longer offered it was still honored since the tickets were already issued. We did lose the two extra Latitudes points, but all other offers were still available. Note that you may need to remind the agent you want to keep your offers, they dropped them for some unknown reason when I upgraded in December and I noticed it after getting the new confirmation, had to call and add them back in! Hope this helps!

The terms of the free at sea promos (WiFi & meals) changed earlier this year so if a reservation that was made under the old terms is changed, the new terms would apply.

An August cruise is past final payment, so wouldn't be rebooked, it would be an upgrade, subject to the current upgrade terms.  Meaning promos must be the same now as when booked.

6 hours ago, roquejo said:

I have bid the maximum possible to test, 2 weeks before sailing.. nothing..

I have bid max over a dozen times and have never won one with NCL. Can't figure it out.  Only thing I can figure is I used points everytime to go from inside to Balcony.

When you bid maximum on a sold out sailing all you are doing is messing with the data mining that is always being done on each and every sailing whether it’s at 50% capacity, 70% capacity or 100 capacity if you are bidding higher than you wanted just to prove you can’t get the upgrade.  That data mining will continue to be used to effect future sailings whether sold out or open sailings. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roquejo said:

I have bid the maximum possible to test, 2 weeks before sailing.. nothing..

Just be aware that you can't really test it.

If they accept your bid, you're committed.  So I wouldn't bid more than you're actually willing to pay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

If they accept your bid, you're committed.  So I wouldn't bid more than you're actually willing to pay.

Do you think they use the bidding system to fill cancellations?

11 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

No problem, as the higher stateroom prices are so high, that even if I placed a maximum bid and they accepted it, it is still way way cheaper than paying additional to upgrade.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how the upgrades work? I booked my last three cruises directly on NCL website, except maybe one through Amex, but I always took a Studio. Are Studios eligible for upgrades at all? An agent I was chatting with said I need to call to be eligible. I hate booking via phone but if that's the only way to do it I guess I would ....