Should we book seats in the Sanctuary for Panama Canal Day - Ruby Princess?

Smokeyham

Hello,

We will be travelling through the new locks on board Ruby Princess in February and are wondering if it is worth booking seats in the Sanctuary area for the day when we will in the Panama Canal?  

We will have a balcony cabin on Caribe Deck (deck 10), but having a shaded area higher up (deck 17) with a view of both sides would seem to be nice.  

Thanks for your thoughts.

If you like to stick to a "home base" and know that it won't be too crowded, it sounds like a lovely experience.  I was up early and all over the ship when we did the canal partial transit, so the expense would have been wasted on me.

11 minutes ago, donswife said:

If you like to stick to a "home base" and know that it won't be too crowded, it sounds like a lovely experience.  I was up early and all over the ship when we did the canal partial transit, so the expense would have been wasted on me.

Thanks.....  I have read that moving around the ship is best way to go, but I was thinking that a location with shade where we can see forward and to both sides would also be desirable. 

• Like 1

Have you been through the historic locks?  On my first cruise through the canal, I thought the best place would be on my balcony.  I was so very wrong.  Each cruise since has been from different points of view around the ship.  

The new locks are not as exciting.  Is this a full or partial transit?  

You could possible walk the entire promenade, stopping at the bow, aft, side, as each lock fills or drains.  I would not pay to sit in the sanctuary on canal day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks for the further questions.  This will be our first trip through the Panama Canal and this will be through the new locks.

More reason to be out and about.  If mobility isn't an issue, there will be shade on at least half the ship in any one direction.  The Ruby doesn't have secret doors that lead out to observation decks like the Coral. Princess.  When you are entering the canal in the morning, it is well worth the effort to get up to the bow.  There is a little less action at the new locks.  It can be R E A L L Y slow.  

• Like 1

We did a full transit on the Coral (Old locks) in January 2018.

Personally, I would not waste the money on the Sanctuary. We went to different places on the ship, including our own balcony where we touched the walls of the locks.

Please be aware that it is very warm and humid! That is why we spent time on our balcony, so we could duck into our air conditioned cabin once in a while!

• Like 3

The second time we went through the locks we did the sanctuary.  They charge more on canal day, but the do it up nice. They open early, have mimosas and food, pictures and other special goodies. You can still walk around the ship or leave sanctuary is you want a different view. I have to say the new locks were not as spectacular as the old. And once you have gone through  one lock it is the same. One of the places I found most interesting going through the locks was the coffee bar place (name has just escaped me), but the windows there were covered in water during certain phases. So it depends on what you think you will enjoy most.

If you book The Sanctuary you will have a comfortable home base with good forward views. You can easily leave and return if you wish views from other areas of the ship. I can't remember exactly, but believe The Sanctuary does not have full shade. Believe the covering is netted, allowing sun to penetrate. You can check it out on boarding day. If you wish to take a photo log of the transit then you really have to move around the ship. Prepare for a long day.

Some information. See you are on the Feb 25th sailing. We have been through both the old and new locks many times. The new locks are large enough to fit the ship with space on all sides. The ship remains centered with the use of tugs. You should enter the Pacific locks early in the morning, maybe as early as 6am. The ship will travel through the three Pacific locks, continue on through the Culebra Cut, (continental divide), the Chagres River, winding up in Gatun Lake. This will take maybe two to three hours. The ship will then remain in Gatun Lake for a short or long time. It depends on the traffic in the Atlantic locks and when the authorities schedule the exit. The best way to experience the crossing is to walk around the ship in various areas, side views, forward views on decks 16 or 8, aft views. I would not recommend remaining on your balcony. This provides limited views and you must turn your TV up to hear the narration. Every time we did a transit it was hot and humid, mostly strong sun. Moving in and out of shade is important.

We're big sanctuary fans, frequently book full cruise (which, by the way EXCLUDES panama canal and glacier bay days).  As noted previously, there is a substantial uncharge for Canal day, double the normal daily rate, nearly triple the full cruise rate.  As also said, they do make it a nice day with much more food than is usual, special drinks, a moment travel mug, maybe a couple other small things.  Whether that makes it worth the premium is debatable.  

More important, the sanctuary on Grand class ships, including Ruby has floor to ceiling windows for the most part which doesn't make for the best viewing or picture taking, you'll find yourself leaving the area for best views and photo's.  Perhaps the largest benefit is the certainty of finding a bit of shade on what is often a very hot day - this alone might make the cost worthwhile.  

As much as we are fans of sanctuary, we've only paid for it on Canal day once, we just didn't find the benefits worth the greatly increased cost.

• Like 1

Unless you just want the ambiance and bennies, it is a waste of money.  From a lounger, you won't see anything unless yours is one facing forward at the windows.  The ship is too high and wide unless you are standing at the forward windows and therefore blocking the views of those in the forward loungers.  Having done three full transits, one through the new locks, you should spend the transit when in the locks on the promenade deck.  Best views will be in the later locks when the crowds have thinned and interest has waned.  that's when you can get a spot by the railings.  EM

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

We're big sanctuary fans, frequently book full cruise (which, by the way EXCLUDES panama canal and glacier bay days).  As noted previously, there is a substantial uncharge for Canal day, double the normal daily rate, nearly triple the full cruise rate.  As also said, they do make it a nice day with much more food than is usual, special drinks, a moment travel mug, maybe a couple other small things.  Whether that makes it worth the premium is debatable.  

More important, the sanctuary on Grand class ships, including Ruby has floor to ceiling windows for the most part which doesn't make for the best viewing or picture taking, you'll find yourself leaving the area for best views and photo's.  Perhaps the largest benefit is the certainty of finding a bit of shade on what is often a very hot day - this alone might make the cost worthwhile.  

As much as we are fans of sanctuary, we've only paid for it on Canal day once, we just didn't find the benefits worth the greatly increased cost.

jondfk, What was your opinion of the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay, We'll be on the Ruby 4/30/22?

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I can't remember exactly, but believe The Sanctuary does not have full shade. Believe the covering is netted, allowing sun to penetrate.

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

More important, the sanctuary on Grand class ships, including Ruby has floor to ceiling windows for the most part which doesn't make for the best viewing or picture taking, you'll find yourself leaving the area for best views and photo's.

Having used the Ruby Princess sanctuary on multiple Caribbean cruises and having done a full transit of the Canal on the Coral not using the sanctuary, I wouldn't bother on the Panama Canal cruise for the reasons stated above.

9 hours ago, STREETKING said:

jondfk, What was your opinion of the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay, We'll be on the Ruby 4/30/22?

This day, we throughly enjoyed.  It was so cold, they piled up the blankets (like 6 each) and kept the very rich hot chocolate coming.  Ours was a slightly drizzly day, so the protection offered by the sanctuary made the day much more enjoyable.  For the canal, I wouldn't pay again.  But for Glacier Bay, absolutely, a must do in my book.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

We will be travelling through the new locks on board Ruby Princess in February and are wondering if it is worth booking seats in the Sanctuary area for the day when we will in the Panama Canal?  

We will have a balcony cabin on Caribe Deck (deck 10), but having a shaded area higher up (deck 17) with a view of both sides would seem to be nice.  

Thanks for your thoughts.

That’s a definite YES.  That was the best thing I ever did. Your treated like you’re in first class. Remember to go there ASAP to make your reservations so you can get a lounger out of the sun. I’ve enclosed some photos from the Sanctuary. You’re high above other people for excellent photo. Their is food out during the day & the staff will bring you anything you like. One of the ships photographer came around & took a photo included in the fee. 

Any questions please ask. 

Tom😀

DE58CBDA-FC82-4ACB-B171-7F6A75EB0049.jpeg

C82D859F-2A05-4316-829B-C96ACFAE605C.jpeg

98FBADC1-B05B-498F-AD1F-DA377503D87A.png

410443DA-9646-457D-9419-4D5BEE78E153.png

3 minutes ago, trbarton said:

That’s a definite YES.  That was the best thing I ever did. ...................

Tom😀

Thanks Tom!   Good to hear that you can book specific loungers, so we can be in the shade.