I Expect HAL to Announce Change to their Covid testing to be just 2 days

LAFFNVEGAS

9 minutes ago, Henery said:

No. you have everything you need in the kit. You are observed by a certified proctor via your computer camera. He verifys the results on the test card and sends you a Certificate via email and on the navica app you downloaded prior to taking the test. . here's the link to a demonstration and review Abbott’s BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test

I have my 6 tests as it may be our only option to get tested quickly.  Our health plan said PCR results in 24 hours, but I can't depend on that.  2 days cuts it short as we leave for San Diego the day before the cruise for our favorite itinerary, The Sea of Cortez.  Nearest CVS is 30 miles away.  I understand the need to be safe, but I resent the extra cost!

I plan to take 2 of the tests just in case when we fly to Europe for our river cruise this month.  All we need is the CDC card and the cruise line is doing the required testing to return to the US.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

this is what their website says: 

Can I use this COVID test to meet travel requirements for testing?

No, this is for personal use only and doesn’t provide a documented test result that you can display when traveling. For a documented test result the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better  Combined with the NAVICA App and with a negative result, you will have a digital result that may meet travel requirements. This test is offered by eMed, please visit www.emed.com for further information.

Still researching this - I went to the www.emed.com site and it provides a good tutorial/video on the test and says this about travel:

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test meets the self-test conditions of the Order for proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC and is accepted by our partners United Airlines, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines for entry into the U.S.

However - nowhere on the site does it say what "kind" of test it is. I called their info # and was "told" it is an antigen rapid test with video supervision. It appears to be an anterior (main part of the nose vs deep to the throat) nasal swab which is really nice (especially for those of us with nasal surgical concerns). I emailed the company (ABBOTT) to verify it is an acceptable international and cruise test. If so, I'm all in for the type of test, the ease of doing it in a short 48 hour time frame, and for all the different International/cruise requirements!

5 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I have my 6 tests as it may be our only option to get tested quickly.  Our health plan said PCR results in 24 hours, but I can't depend on that.  2 days cuts it short as we leave for San Diego the day before the cruise for our favorite itinerary, The Sea of Cortez.  Nearest CVS is 30 miles away.  I understand the need to be safe, but I resent the extra cost!

I plan to take 2 of the tests just in case when we fly to Europe for our river cruise this month.  All we need is the CDC card and the cruise line is doing the required testing to return to the US.

THIS Binax test appears to be the one you need to take for international travel: BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test meets the self-test conditions of the Order for proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC and is accepted by our partners United Airlines, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines for entry into the U.S.

25 minutes ago, Loreto said:

That's how I understand it

23 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

Still researching this - I went to the www.emed.com site and it provides a good tutorial/video on the test and says this about travel:

BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test meets the self-test conditions of the Order for proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC and is accepted by our partners United Airlines, American Airlines and Delta Air Lines for entry into the U.S.

However - nowhere on the site does it say what "kind" of test it is. I called their info # and was "told" it is an antigen rapid test with video supervision. It appears to be an anterior (main part of the nose vs deep to the throat) nasal swab which is really nice (especially for those of us with nasal surgical concerns). I emailed the company (ABBOTT) to verify it is an acceptable international and cruise test. If so, I'm all in for the type of test, the ease of doing it in a short 48 hour time frame, and for all the different International/cruise requirements!

Its and antigen test

31 minutes ago, Loreto said:

People have suggested holding onto a spare in the event you have an inconclusive result. Also my wait time for a proctor was 20 mins much better than when they first started. I'm not sure everyone realizes that you need a computer as well as a smart phone to do this. Correct me if Im wrong. 

Hot off the HAL Email at 10:30PM  MDT: 

Please view our guest letter with an important update here: *****/3gVRJLG

Pursuant to new directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements. Effective with U.S. cruises departing from Saturday, September 18 through
October 31, 2021, all fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line sailings. Guests must provide
this proof along with proof of full COVID-19 vaccination in order to board.

We strongly encourage you to be tested prior to traveling to your cruise in
order to speed your embarkation. We have partnered with Quest Diagnostics for testing near you: *****/QST_TST. There will be limited testing available at
the pier for a fee (to be determined) for a small number of guests if you do
not receive your test results in time for embarkation.

• Like 3

If you want to avoid the stress and risks, simply get an Abbot test that's proctored online. They're available for $150 for 6 tests on emed and can be taken anywhere and at any time, you just need a video and voice connection to the person to witness your test. There's another company that sells fewer tests for less--just make sure you don't get the Abbot test sold in drug stores, they aren't monitored and not valid for travel. HAL has also said they'll have limited testing available at the port, but if you get it done ahead of line and online, you'll avoid uncertainty and delay in boarding. 

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

But you have to mail the test package to a lab for results,  correct? That doesn't increase speed.

No, you do it at home or wherever you are, you sign onto a web site, the proctor watches you do it, you put special processing drops into a special place on the back of a card, then you insert the swab from your nostrils into the place on the card; wait 15 mins, look at the card for one or two pink lines, hold it up to the camera on your phone or computer for the proctor to see, then I think the proctor sends out a result sheet.

And it has finally hit HAL:

Pursuant to new directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC), we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements.
Effective with U.S. cruises departing from Saturday, September 18 through
October 31, 2021, all fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral
COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days
of their embarkation on all Holland America Line sailings. Guests must provide

Holland America sent this email to us  overnight:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
Pursuant to new directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements. Effective with U.S. cruises departing from Saturday, September 18 through
October 31, 2021, all fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line sailings. Guests must provide
order to speed your embarkation. We have partnered with Quest Diagnostics for testing near you: *****/QST_TST. There will be limited testing available at

6 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Hot off the HAL Email at 10:30PM  MDT: 

For cruise restarts to be successful and attractive to passengers, the industry really needs to provide testing at the port.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

Unless I am completely misunderstanding the new protocol, HAL has made the testing even more difficult for us. We are scheduled to fly out of PHL two days before our scheduled 21 day B to B on the Nieu Statendam next February. Had planned to do my best to get the test on the day before the flight. Now we would have to do it the morning of the flight. Its just getting out of hand. Going on our longest cruise was supposed to be something to look forward to. Now it has become something to worry about. The whole trip (including 1st class airfare) was booked directly with HAL (first time we’ve ever done that) way back in February of this year. This has changed from something that is supposed to be fun to something that is just causing a lot of stress. 

First, hopefully  by next February, some of these policies will have relaxed or been eliminated.  Second, you are correct, you have to really really really want to cruise to go through the hurtles.  Personally, we will wait until things are a tad simpler.

I am one of those who really, really wants to get out on a ship even with masks, tests and the possibility of an island deciding not to welcome us. 

I just changed my appt. from 3 days out to 2 days (correct not 48 hours)  with Quest lab as I sail on CCL in 21 days and  then HAL on Oct 23. 

CCL had a much softer attitude with stating that they are working on setting up rapid testing at the ports as they understand the challenge with soooo many to get tested and resulted in time.  We would have to pay at the time of testing (price not yet determined) and submit a claim to our insurance. HAL stated they will have "limited testing for a small number of guests".  Anyway you look at it, all lines may need to arrange rapid testing at their ports if they want us on board spending our money and keeping them afloat. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

I am one of those who really, really wants to get out on a ship even with masks, tests and the possibility of an island deciding not to welcome us. 

I just changed my appt. from 3 days out to 2 days (correct not 48 hours)  with Quest lab as I sail on CCL in 21 days and  then HAL on Oct 23. 

CCL had a much softer attitude with stating that they are working on setting up rapid testing at the ports as they understand the challenge with soooo many to get tested and resulted in time.  We would have to pay at the time of testing (price not yet determined) and submit a claim to our insurance. HAL stated they will have "limited testing for a small number of guests".  Anyway you look at it, all lines may need to arrange rapid testing at their ports if they want us on board spending our money and keeping them afloat. 

Testing at the pier would be a significant change to make cruising simpler.  I would think that would be a top priority for the lines.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

Perhaps this new ruling shows that cruise lines don't really want anyone sailing this year. Looks like they would rather have us all wait until next year???????😉😉.

It’s the CDC requiring this, cruise lines don’t have a choice if they want to sail out of the US.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I just saw a post that Carnival is working out the details to provide a Mobile Rapid Testing site at their embarkation ports and to stay tuned for updated information. If Carnival can do this I am guessing Princess/Holland America may also do the same. Keeping my fingers crossed this is what they do.

Lisa, I just got an email from HAL that states that "there will be limited testing at the pier for a a fee (to be determined) for a small number of guests if you do not receive your test results in time for embarkation".

11 minutes ago, zelker said:

It’s the CDC requiring this, cruise lines don’t have a choice if they want to sail out of the US.

Wow another post to add to the growing total.  Question marks and winks denote sarcasam. Thanks for enlightening all of us. Just blowing off abit of steam over constantly changing rules, tired of hearing wife complain about possibly not getting on a ship again this year. I keep telling her every time we take the boat out fishing it is as good as a cruise, she is not believing me anymore.😄😁.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, zelker said:
47 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

Perhaps this new ruling shows that cruise lines don't really want anyone sailing this year. Looks like they would rather have us all wait until next year???????😉😉.

And if they do not follow the CDC requirements/recomendations, and SOMETHING happens - they are open to all kinds of...litigation.

8 hours ago, Henery said:

People have suggested holding onto a spare in the event you have an inconclusive result. Also my wait time for a proctor was 20 mins much better than when they first started. I'm not sure everyone realizes that you need a computer as well as a smart phone to do this. Correct me if Im wrong. 

You do NOT need a iPad or desktop computer. Just a smartphone with a STABLE internet connection (you will be on the connection for like 20 minutes) and a microphone & Camera. 

Some people use a desktop computer because it is easier to see the screen & easier adjust the camera (You have to set the camera so it captures both you and the table in front of you where the test card is). 

You must maintain the connection during the wait time, The proctor may go off-screen (I assume to service other tests, they they , or someone, will come back to verify the results and send you your test results.

A number of people have taken the tests to foreign lands to do their pre-flight tests just using their cell phones. 

They have test Proctors available 24/7. Current wait times reported to be ~20 minutes or so.

We purchased a pack of 6 several weeks ago...just in case. 

The current products (all manufactured feb 2021) tests all expire February 2022, So will need to re-purchase for cruises/flights in 2022. A small price to pay for the assurance of having a test capability in your baggage no mater where/went you need it. 

ONLY the items purchased at the web sites are valid (Units purchased in drug stores are not monitored and are not valid for travel)

eMed offers 6 Pack - 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Optum sells in packs of 2 or 3

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit/

Elume also offers a different proctored test - but beware - it's test (apparently) has a deep nostril test : aka Brain tickle) test. 

https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/

Just buy a pack, do the testing, and be done with the stress. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1