I Expect HAL to Announce Change to their Covid testing to be just 2 days

LAFFNVEGAS

9 hours ago, Henery said:

People have suggested holding onto a spare in the event you have an inconclusive result. Also my wait time for a proctor was 20 mins much better than when they first started. I'm not sure everyone realizes that you need a computer as well as a smart phone to do this. Correct me if Im wrong. 

Correction:  You do not need a computer. A smart phone with the app is all you need

19 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

You do NOT need a iPad or desktop computer. Just a smartphone with a STABLE internet connection (you will be on the connection for like 20 minutes) and a microphone & Camera. 

Some people use a desktop computer because it is easier to see the screen & easier adjust the camera (You have to set the camera so it captures both you and the table in front of you where the test card is). 

You must maintain the connection during the wait time, The proctor may go off-screen (I assume to service other tests, they they , or someone, will come back to verify the results and send you your test results.

A number of people have taken the tests to foreign lands to do their pre-flight tests just using their cell phones. 

They have test Proctors available 24/7. Current wait times reported to be ~20 minutes or so.

We purchased a pack of 6 several weeks ago...just in case. 

The current products (all manufactured feb 2021) tests all expire February 2022, So will need to re-purchase for cruises/flights in 2022. A small price to pay for the assurance of having a test capability in your baggage no mater where/went you need it. 

ONLY the items purchased at the web sites are valid (Units purchased in drug stores are not monitored and are not valid for travel)

eMed offers 6 Pack - 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Optum sells in packs of 2 or 3

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit/

Elume also offers a different proctored test - but beware - it's test (apparently) has a deep nostril test : aka Brain tickle) test. 

https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/

Just buy a pack, do the testing, and be done with the stress. 

Can DH and I share the 6 pack or do we each need our own?

18 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

You do NOT need a iPad or desktop computer. Just a smartphone with a STABLE internet connection (you will be on the connection for like 20 minutes) and a microphone & Camera. 

Some people use a desktop computer because it is easier to see the screen & easier adjust the camera (You have to set the camera so it captures both you and the table in front of you where the test card is). 

You must maintain the connection during the wait time, The proctor may go off-screen (I assume to service other tests, they they , or someone, will come back to verify the results and send you your test results.

A number of people have taken the tests to foreign lands to do their pre-flight tests just using their cell phones. 

They have test Proctors available 24/7. Current wait times reported to be ~20 minutes or so.

We purchased a pack of 6 several weeks ago...just in case. 

The current products (all manufactured feb 2021) tests all expire February 2022, So will need to re-purchase for cruises/flights in 2022. A small price to pay for the assurance of having a test capability in your baggage no mater where/went you need it. 

ONLY the items purchased at the web sites are valid (Units purchased in drug stores are not monitored and are not valid for travel)

eMed offers 6 Pack - 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Optum sells in packs of 2 or 3

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit/

Elume also offers a different proctored test - but beware - it's test (apparently) has a deep nostril test : aka Brain tickle) test. 

https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/

Just buy a pack, do the testing, and be done with the stress. 

Excellent tip about the expiration date! We're making up for lost time and cruises and have a number of upcoming cruises booked - For fear of limited supply I was going to order another six pack, but will wait a bit. Do you know @RGEDadwhen they predict the new batch will be available? 

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Can DH and I share the 6 pack or do we each need our own?

When you purchase the 6 pack you can put in Three (3) names. They state they send you 2 packs per person in case there are...issues... with the tests/testing and need to re-do. 

However, Others have claimed they will test everyone who has a test, each person required to set up a account with their App.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

Do you know when they predict the new batch will be available? 

Supposedly - Next batch in January 2022 (One person contacted them) - and of course everything you read on the internet has to be true - so there is that to consider.

But - If I was a betting man - I would bet they may see a sharp rise in product cruising sales and start it sooner.

Personally - I have Rapid test already scheduled for our Sept 11 Cruise (Abbott test is my back-up), and cruises in December & January. I will need new tests packs for a foreign 4/22 cruise (With post cruise hotel stay-will need this portable test capability), and one cruise scheduled for Sept 2022.

Hopefully the familial finance committee will authorize at least one other cruise mid year 2022 - but a rumors of new couch requirement appears to be taking priority - we shall see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My healthcare provider promises nothing in under 72 hours, but when I used them back in May to go to Hawaii, I got results in less than 48 hours.

I can't see how you can demand this of a customer and not offer the service for rapid testing on the pier during embarkation.

-Paul

10 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Hot off the HAL Email at 10:30PM  MDT: 

Please view our guest letter with an important update here: *****/3gVRJLG

Pursuant to new directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements. Effective with U.S. cruises departing from Saturday, September 18 through
October 31, 2021, all fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line sailings. Guests must provide
this proof along with proof of full COVID-19 vaccination in order to board.

We strongly encourage you to be tested prior to traveling to your cruise in
order to speed your embarkation. We have partnered with Quest Diagnostics for testing near you: *****/QST_TST. There will be limited testing available at
the pier for a fee (to be determined) for a small number of guests if you do
not receive your test results in time for embarkation.

Hmmmm…. Limited testing available at the pier for a fee for a “small number of guests” if you do not received your test results in time for embarkation.    So if there is a limited amount, how do they decide who can take the test if more people show up that hadn’t received their test results in time than there is tests?

As I have been reading through the threads regarding the testing, it seems that it’s easier to get a test in Canada than in the US.   Which is quite odd.   Usually we are behind the 8ball compared to the US.

After 30 years in the Army, I’ve learned to deal with last minute changes, decisions and rules that make no sense, and to hope for the best, but plan for the worse.    

My B2B doesnt start until 5 Dec and I’m flying in from Canada.   Too many things can happen between now and then and if the rules/protocols don’t change at least another two times, I’ll be surprised.  😀

• Haha 2

Well, not the the world revolves around me. But I just booked with my Health care provider on 09/30/21 at 8:05am. I get on my flight to SEA on 10/01/21 at 12:59pm. In an imperfect (aka the real world we all live in)  world I will get my results before I board the plane, If it's positive, no point in going to SEA. 

I might get the results on the evening of 10/01/21 while in Seattle or the morning of the cruise on 10/02/21. If no results by embarkation time I guess I get to be tested at the pier with the rapid test. Can you charge the embarkation pier test to your onboard account? 

Just Sayin'

Paul

Edited by kangforpres

12 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Well, not the the world revolves around me. But I just booked with my Health care provider on 09/30/21 at 8:05am. I get on my flight to SEA on 10/01/21 at 12:59pm. In an imperfect (aka the real world we all live in)  world I will get my results before I board the plane, If it's positive, no point in going to SEA. 

I might get the results on the evening of 10/01/21 while in Seattle or the morning of the cruise on 10/02/21. If no results by embarkation time I guess I get to be tested at the pier with the rapid test. Can you charge the embarkation pier test to your onboard account? 

Just Sayin'

Paul

Great idea but I can hear the cruise lines response now: OBC can only be used once onboard and the test was done while you were still on land and not on the ship!!

We are sailing on MSC in a few weeks. They just put out a notice that the 2 day requirement will start in November so we are still under the 3 day one.

We are trying to get a rapid test on the Wednesday before we go so I will have results in hand before we fly out on Thursday morning for our Saturday cruise.

I am assuming there will be a bazillion people in Miami trying to get a rapid test on the Friday.

For those cruising out of San Diego, we were able to book appointments for tests with Carbon Health at the San Diego airport upon our arrival on 11/26/2021.  

https://carbonhealth.com/covid-19-travel-clearance-san-diego-airport?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=san-diego-airport&utm_content=website

This may be a great option for folks.

• Like 1

Health Protocols & FAQs | Holland America Line Cruises

Health Protocols For Your Cruise

Your health and safety are our highest priorities.
Our 2021 cruises are available for guests who have ALL of the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
• Proof of vaccination
• Proof of a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation. This currently applies to sailings through October 31, 2021, however, guidance will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Now I'm more confused....I just pulled this from Holland America website....so is it 2 days or 3? 

2 minutes ago, Breezinontheocean said:

Health Protocols & FAQs | Holland America Line Cruises

Health Protocols For Your Cruise

Your health and safety are our highest priorities.
Our 2021 cruises are available for guests who have ALL of the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
• Proof of vaccination
• Proof of a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation. This currently applies to sailings through October 31, 2021, however, guidance will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Now I'm more confused....I just pulled this from Holland America website....so is it 2 days or 3? 

This has been superseded by what went out to booked passengers today, they just have not updated their website

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION: Please view our guest letter with an important update here: *****/3gVRJLG Pursuant to new directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements. Effective with U.S. cruises departing from Saturday, September 18 through October 31, 2021, all fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically supervised PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line sailings. Guests must provide this proof along with proof of full COVID-19 vaccination in order to board. We strongly encourage you to be tested prior to traveling to your cruise in order to speed your embarkation. We have partnered with Quest Diagnostics for testing near you: *****/QST_TST. There will be limited testing available at the pier for a fee (to be determined) for a small number of guests if you do not receive your test results in time for embarkation.

Just received this about our upcoming cruise.  Sounds like it is not just Holland but all cruise lines.

"Dear Holland America Line Guest:

We look forward to welcoming you on board for your upcoming cruise.

We are writing to advise you that pursuant to updated directives from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we have updated our pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements for cruises departing between September 18 and October 31, 2021.

All fully vaccinated guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (medically observed PCR or antigen test) taken within TWO days of their embarkation on all Holland America Line U.S. sailings. This is an update to our previously communicated requirement of three days prior to embarkation.

Guests will be required to provide proof of this negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

For U.S. guests, Holland America Line has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here to find a testing location near you. *This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially considering this new guidance. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still finalizing the details and will announce those shortly. Holland America Line will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not receive your test results back in time. If you bring proof of testing without results to the pier, Holland America Line will test you at no charge. Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

Additionally, guests are strongly encouraged to test before leaving home if departing prior to the mandatory maximum testing period (two days before embarkation for cruises departing from a U.S. port).

Please check our Travel Well Frequently Asked Questions for further details on our updated testing requirements and onboard protocols.

We are hopeful these requirements will be temporary, and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Kind regards,

Holland America Line"

Edited by farjar
omitted word

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Can you set up an account with a computer or must you have a smartphone?

Go to "emed.com" and give it a try. I believe you can do it without a smart phone. Your computer needs a camera so they can watch you perform the test and confirm the results. After the test they will send you an email that you can copy. I under stand Italy is into paper

Just now, Henery said:

Go to "emed.com" and give it a try. I believe you can do it without a smart phone. Your computer needs a camera so they can watch you perform the test and confirm the results. After the test they will send you an email that you can copy. I under stand Italy is into paper

anyway I put the question to emed and wait for an answer about the need for a smart phone. 

My head has been hurting since this morning’s email about the new 2 day covid PCR test.  The Quest Diagnostics link from HAL doesn’t really give the location of a lab near me that is participating with the program.  I have talked to several people affiliated with Quest who told me the PCR test is not a rapid result test, the results typically come back in 24-48 hours, but can take 5 days.  We are due to sail October 23 and are flying in on the 22nd.  The email said testing will be available at the port for a select few whose test results weren’t in on time, how few and how those are selected seems not very clear.   I will try calling again after the holiday weekend, but, I’m not feeling optimistic right now. The 3 day timeframe seemed a bit tight, now this 2 day requirement seems very hard.  I need a Lemon Drop martini.

• Like 1