NCL's Abysmal Communication

JamieLogical

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Well, technically, when you get into hours versus days, it's gets tricky. As things stand for Crystal, the advice from Bermuda is to test first thing Wednesday before a Sunday sailing. That means testing at maybe 9:00 or 10:00 am. The ship isn't set to sail until late afternoon on Sunday. So, if the rule is 96 hours, then a 9:00 or 10:00am test is too early. Waiting until late in the afternoon to test on Wednesday introduces more opportunity for your results to come too late.

Definitely can be tricky, especially if your cruise involves time changes as well.  Italy requires 72hrs, so my test is at 11am on Monday for arrival in Rome at 8:30 am on Thursday - but with the 8hr time difference,  my test should be good until 7pm, when I should be safely on the ship, with a newly issued NCL test. Fingers crossed my results are back by the time I leave super early on Wednesday - and that the requirements don't change before my cruise.

Edited by julig22

19 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If the ship is rerouted to the Bahamas, I doubt it would include Port Canaveral because that would be asking for trouble.  Imagine letting everyone loose in Disney World etc...with all the Floridians.

Yes, because us Floridians are so dirty and infested. 🙄 I assure you, Disney and all of the other tourist traps down here are crawling with non-Floridians who can give you COVID just as easily.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Yes, because us Floridians are so dirty and infested. 🙄 I assure you, Disney and all of the other tourist traps down here are crawling with non-Floridians who can give you COVID just as easily.

No need to get defensive or give me assurances only an epidemiologist is qualified to do.  The numbers speak for themself.

Touche Massachusetts,  Not sure if anyone saw, but looks like they have changed the notification of protocols for your cruise from 21 days to 10 days. WOW after the 15 day cancellation period, they got us.

Communication will be sent to all booked guests approximately 10 days prior to setting sail to share the latest requirements for each departure port along with updates to health and safety protocols. All guests are encouraged to download our Cruise Norwegian App to update their contact information so that we know how to reach you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210908/live-4-30pm-government-covid-briefing/

just reading the news there makes me glad i didnt book. id be surprised if they let thousands of cruisers on the island. my plan on resuming cruising was wait for a few of 'any line' going where i want to go, to go and come back and see what happens. (quarantine, itinerary change etc etc)

also some lines are giving you up till 48 hours to cancel and get FCC but as everyone well knows, thats a very very bad deal as many of you got screwed with not being able to use them or MUCH higher pricing, thus negating them.  i'm so glad i got my money back in 2020 instead of being forced to take a less desirable situation these days. you pay a premium for bermuda but you wont get anything back if you change to something else. and that would stink, plus based on that article i wonder what tourist things would even be open? 

Yeah, after reading that article, I am pretty sure that Bermuda is not going to be my 10/3 destination at this point. If they are having a hard time contact tracing 80 people, I just can’t imagine. It’s hard watching the craziness here over the divisiveness over Covid-19. I can’t imagine what it’s like on a small island. 😞 

25 minutes ago, Rfemle said:

Touche Massachusetts,  Not sure if anyone saw, but looks like they have changed the notification of protocols for your cruise from 21 days to 10 days. WOW after the 15 day cancellation period, they got us.

Communication will be sent to all booked guests approximately 10 days prior to setting sail to share the latest requirements for each departure port along with updates to health and safety protocols. All guests are encouraged to download our Cruise Norwegian App to update their contact information so that we know how to reach you.

10 days seem short. looks like they really really want people to cancel at the last minute so they do not have to offer any refunds/fcc. it kind of makes the peace of mind policy null and void

I was just searching the Bermuda newspaper for cruise new and found this from article on Aug 20th

Cruise ships to make 19 extra calls to Bermuda - The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community |

He said: “All passengers must be 12 years of age or older and be fully immunised.

“Passengers will Covid-19 test three times within six days before landing in Bermuda.”

Tests will include a pre-departure PCR test, an antigen test at the departure port and an on-arrival PCR test.

Passengers and crew will have to apply for a Bermuda travel authorisation and passengers can only board the ships if they have been approved.

I have spoken to TA and NCL numerous times and they know nothing of this.  One TA said go to Travel.state.gov I believe.  In around about way, I did get to Bermuda's site and it said same thing.  NCL just needs to be transparent one way or another.  Either we have to do it and details, not going to Bermuda, or we are working on it and not sure what will happen but if you want a refund due to uncertainty then we will give you one.  It is a challenging time, but be upfront and honest.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, shof515 said:

10 days seem short. looks like they really really want people to cancel at the last minute so they do not have to offer any refunds/fcc. it kind of makes the peace of mind policy null and void

16 minutes ago, Rfemle said:

I have spoken to TA and NCL numerous times and they know nothing of this.  One TA said go to Travel.state.gov I believe.  In around about way, I did get to Bermuda's site and it said same thing.  NCL just needs to be transparent one way or another.  Either we have to do it and details, not going to Bermuda, or we are working on it and not sure what will happen but if you want a refund due to uncertainty then we will give you one.  It is a challenging time, but be upfront and honest.

Yes...let people know where they stand. In my opinion, the vast majority of passengers are clueless about "this test and that test...and get a visa" at this point.  And if it's rerouted....some may not want to go there (I know...cruiseline has the right to change an itinerary etc).

NCL cannot change the demands of the Bermuda govt....but NCL should keep their customers in the loop.

3 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

As a Floridian, we don't go to Disney and all those tourist traps. We live here, it's the rest of the people who come here.🙄 

For those that like numbers, it's around 10 percent of FL residents attend the attractions.  It's Disney land that has a greater resident attendance.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Rfemle said:

In my opinion, right now, "upfront and honest" are not two words that can be associated with NCL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike C said:

In my opinion, right now, "upfront and honest" are not two words that can be associated with NCL

Doesn't that apply to MSC and RCL  and probably many others as well?

They both are selling cruises to Grand Cayman for this year when it is well known that ships will not be allowed in till 2022.

Steve

• Like 2

Well just got the letter from Katty Byrd NCL for upcoming Bermuda cruise.  Just as all have been saying, we will have to do multiple tests, get a travel authorization from Bermuda after uploading results and $75.00 each to get on the ship.  I quickly copied and pasted below.

September 9, 2021 Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners: Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information regarding sailings departing from New York City aboard Norwegian Breakaway. Travel partners should share the below information with guests who may be affected. As you prepare for your upcoming sailing, we want to ensure that your embarkation process runs smoothly and inform you of the following important requirements for your cruise. Before You Travel/Prior to Leaving Home: · All guests must fully complete online check-in and select a port arrival time, which will become available as soon as 21 days and up to 3 days before the cruise embarkation date. · Due to limited capacity in the terminals at the cruise port of Manhattan, port arrival times selected during online check in will be strictly enforced. · If arriving at the cruise port directly from the airport, please keep the following in mind when selecting a port arrival time: o Driving distance from LaGuardia Airport is approximately 50 minutes. o Driving distance from John F. Kennedy International Airport is approximately 90 minutes. o Driving distance from Newark Liberty International Airport is approximately 90 minutes. § Luggage tags must be attached to each piece of luggage when arriving at the port to expedite the baggage drop-off process. · Bermuda requires that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date. · All guests must register on the Bermuda Tourism website and upload their negative test result within 72-hours of embarkation. The registration form can be found here. o A travel authorization number will be issued by Bermuda once approved. · As a reminder, all guests are responsible for checking on travel restrictions and complying with all requirements. NCL recommends for all guests to follow, and where possible, sign up for notifications from their local government on international travel regulations that may prevent, restrict, or require additional documentation when traveling to another country for embarkation or during their cruise. Upon Arrival at the Cruise Terminal: · All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival and will wait in the designated area until the results are received. · In addition, every guest will have a PCR swab taken that will be sent to a lab separately and results processed in the following day as part of the Bermuda pre-arrival requirements. o Please note: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 72-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of their travel date. § Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible. · To speed up the COVID-19 testing process, we strongly encourage all guests to register with our testing provider, Eurofins, prior to their cruise date. Registration information will be provided within a separate communication. o Doing this will minimize your boarding wait and get your vacation started sooner! · All guests are required to be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, and must show proof of vaccination at the terminal in order to board the vessel. For information regarding what vaccines will be accepted, click here. · Finally, guests must have all of the necessary documentation, such as proof of vaccination and passport, readily available to present to the check-in staff upon arrival. o For further information on required travel documentation, click here. Failure to comply with the above requirements will unfortunately result in denial of embarkation. Guests who are denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with Norwegian Cruise Line’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. For more information, please click here. As government regulations evolve, our health and safety protocols will evolve as needed to ensure compliance. This may mean different protocols from ship to ship based on local state or port requirements or in an abundance of caution to keep our guests and crew as safe as possible. For additional information on all you need to know to prepare for an amazing vacation ahead, click here. Thank you for your attention, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard! Sincerely, Katty Byrd Vice President, Guest Service

We got ours too for the 10/10 sailing.  It is still a bit unclear.  Does "98 hours prior to your sail date" mean that we can take the test Wednesday morning.  Technically our sail date starts at 12:01am on Sunday so it would be within the 98 hours.  It doesn't say embarkation which is the wording a lot of the lines are using.

Also still trying to get clarification on if the 72 hour test is only for quarantine costs and does not affect reimbursement of the cruise fare if you test positive of the pier.

Also the letter makes it sound like we're getting 2 tests at the pier.  One for NCL to board and one being sent to a lab to fill the Bermuda entry requirement.  Is that how everyone else is reading it?

I've reached out to my PCC and will see what he can find out. 

Good luck all!

23 minutes ago, Rfemle said:

Upon Arrival at the Cruise Terminal: · All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival and will wait in the designated area until the results are received. · In addition, every guest will have a PCR swab taken that will be sent to a lab separately and results processed in the following day as part of the Bermuda pre-arrival requirements.

Thanks for this helpful info! Supposed to be on a later sailing so I'm keeping an eye on things. So we do a PCR test before embarkation day, but as for the entry into Bermuda, they are covering the PCR tests for there in what is hopefully (*prayer hands*) an orderly fashion?  (also, was the 75$ mentioned somewhere else? It isn't in this copied and pasted chunk)

Edited by NYAC271

Overall not that much changed from what i expected and what has been rumor. you still need to apply for the bermuda travel authorization, still need the pcr test for bermuda and still need the antigen test for boarding. the only that changed is you dont need do test when the ship docks at bermuda as that is taken at the terminal 

3 tests within 3-4 days seems like a lot of testing

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1

We're booked on the October 24th sailing and received an email today which is very confusing. This is because when I open it, certain sections are blacked out, but when I PRINT it out, nothing is blacked out!

The letter does state that in addition to the antigen test given to all arrivals at the terminal, a PCR test will also be taken and sent to a lab and results will be received (by the ship, I presume) before arrival in Bermuda (this is part of the Bermuda travel requirements). To me, this appears to mean that WE do not have to do our own testing or submission, since the ship is doing the testing and Bermuda is getting the results.

However, if our PCR tests come back positive, the ship will not cover quarantine expenses UNLESS we can show proof of a NEGATIVE PCR or antigen test within 72 hours of sailing. 

Anyone else read the email this way?  Anyone else print it out and have blocked out sections? So confusing...

It sounds like you do have to do a test before, and then NCL is doing one for good measure for the actual day-of entry into Bermuda. This is from the Bermuda tourism site which makes some stuff clearer: https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation (Hopefully this was on their email? I haven't gotten one yet) 

Hopefully some folks on the first couple of sailings can illuminate some of this for us! 

Edited by NYAC271

55 minutes ago, goldmom said:

We got ours too for the 10/10 sailing.  It is still a bit unclear.  Does "98 hours prior to your sail date" mean that we can take the test Wednesday morning.  Technically our sail date starts at 12:01am on Sunday so it would be within the 98 hours.  It doesn't say embarkation which is the wording a lot of the lines are using.

Also still trying to get clarification on if the 72 hour test is only for quarantine costs and does not affect reimbursement of the cruise fare if you test positive of the pier.

Also the letter makes it sound like we're getting 2 tests at the pier.  One for NCL to board and one being sent to a lab to fill the Bermuda entry requirement.  Is that how everyone else is reading it?

I've reached out to my PCC and will see what he can find out. 

Good luck all!

The Bermuda page still advises that you take your PCR test "first thing this morning" for "Day 1", which in the case of a Sunday sailing, would be Wednesday. So I am assuming that tests taken Wednesday morning are within the safe range, despite the "96 hours" mentioned in the NCL letter.

As for whether or not the 72 hour test is required for a refund, if testing positive at the pier, or is only required for reimbursement of quarantine/travel expenses, it's still as clear as mud.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, suennorm said:

We're booked on the October 24th sailing and received an email today which is very confusing. This is because when I open it, certain sections are blacked out, but when I PRINT it out, nothing is blacked out!

The letter does state that in addition to the antigen test given to all arrivals at the terminal, a PCR test will also be taken and sent to a lab and results will be received (by the ship, I presume) before arrival in Bermuda (this is part of the Bermuda travel requirements). To me, this appears to mean that WE do not have to do our own testing or submission, since the ship is doing the testing and Bermuda is getting the results.

However, if our PCR tests come back positive, the ship will not cover quarantine expenses UNLESS we can show proof of a NEGATIVE PCR or antigen test within 72 hours of sailing. 

Anyone else read the email this way?  Anyone else print it out and have blocked out sections? So confusing...

You have to do a pre-cruise PCR test in order for Bermuda to approve your Travel Authorization. NCL will also do an antigen test at the pier pre-boarding, which is their own requirement, not Bermuda's . You will then have a PCR test swab done . That test will be processed  and you will not be allowed to disembark until you receive confirmation of a negative result on that last test from Bermuda's lab.

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

You have to do a pre-cruise PCR test in order for Bermuda to approve your Travel Authorization. NCL will also do an antigen test at the pier pre-boarding, which is their own requirement, not Bermuda's . You will then have a PCR test swab done on board before the ship reaches Bermuda . That test will be processed in Bermuda and you will be allowed to disembark until you receive confirmation of a negative result on that last test from Bermuda's lab.

Correction, the PCR test for arrival in Bermuda is being done at the pier at the same time as NCL's antigen test. That is the only difference from the protocols we all anticipated. As many predicted, testing on board upon arrival for so many passengers would be unworkable, so it looks like the compromise with Bermuda was a PCR test at the pier in NYC prior to embarkation.

• Like 2

Well, let's hope this all works out as currently planned. We had to submit forms to our Park & Cruise hotel today so our credit cards are going to be charged for that, which means we are pretty locked in! Got tests scheduled for my husband and myself here in Rochester, NY and for my parents down in PA at CVS for the morning of Wednesday, the 22nd. Got my Eurofins account set up and just put my husband and my parents on my account instead of everyone making their own account. Now I just have to chat with my parents about whether they want to bother with the 72 hour test or just roll the dice. I am pretty sure they will say they want to roll the dice. My husband and I haven't decided what we will do ourselves yet.

Yeah taking the PCR sample at the same time as the antigen test at least makes one thing easier. We’re also interpreting the 72 hour test to JUST be regarding quarantine costs, and not impact any actual sailing costs being returned for a positive test.  Hoping that’s the case!  We’re locals so quarantine costs won’t impact us. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 1