Everything.. Norwegian Viva/Prima class #2

FreestyleNovice

39 minutes ago, BenCoudon said:

The outdoor space on the Prima and Viva are much much larger than on the Bliss or Encore.  The issue is not being outside to look at the scenerie.  The issue is they made the eating venues (many specialty restaurants, the indulged food hall, the garden Cafe, and The Locals  very small inside with very large outdoor space. So when you have bad weather, people don't want to eat outside and the inside space is overcrowded. 15 to 45 minutes line-ups just to get a table inside. That what I have experienced when I sailed Northern Europe, Iceland and the Trans-Atlantic,  We had rain, strong winds and cold weather.  There were several days where access to outdoor spaces were prohibited due to strong winds.

People that sailed in the Caribean last winter didn't have those issues.  Most people on the inaugural cruises last fall had the same comments:  Those ships are build for warm weather. 

Finally, note that the entertaiment venues are very very small.  Theater:  About 750 seats.  Sid Norman's under 50 seats.   With 3500 passengers on board, getting a ticket to see the shows is a challenge.  There were many complains last year that on a 7 day cruise, people were not able to get tickets to see Donna Summer show.  If you don't pre-book your shows or don't do it the minute you are boarding the ship, it was sold out even before the ship sailed away.  

Said it before in another thread, I think the Viva and Prima are a different sailing experience than what some are used to.  That doesn't bother me.  Matter of fact, I embrace different.

I enjoy dining al fresco on all the NCL ships that offer it.  I consider it a positive that they've expanded their outdoor areas.  I donned  hoodies, jackets and socks to dine outside in Alaska on the Bliss and Encore.

Rain?  Wind?  I understand not wanting to dine outside.  But, between the Food Hall, the Garden Cafe, the Local and the Specialty Restaurants, I'm sure I can find a venue that can accommodate me.  If one can't, another can.

If you're looking more for the traditional buffet, MDRs, etc. I understand where neither the Prima nor the Viva may be to one's liking.  For me?  I would love it.

As far as entertainment, Syd Norman's is a favorite.  I'm aware of its size.  From the pics, it looks like the same size as on the Breakaway and Plus ships.  You just have to get in line early to get a seat, otherwise you're SRO.  But, Syd's is a smaller entertainment venue on all the ships who have it (and the Cavern Club, also).  If I want to see the show, I'll get in line early.

Just a general rule of thumb, some may not know, but if you get to the main theater about 15 minutes before showtime, seats from those who didn't show up after making reservations, are released.  I've always been able to wait around and get a seat within that window.  And, truth is, there isn't a bad seat in the house, so all seats are good.

The main theater looks from the pics to be the same size as on the Breakaway and Plus ships.

I understand others who may not like what NCL has done.  But, I like the concept of the Indulge Food Hall.

Again, I'm flexible.  That's why I like NCL's FREESTYLE.  If I can't find a seat at one restaurant, I'll find another somewhere else on the ship.  Inside...Outside, doesn't matter.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Said it before in another thread, I think the Viva and Prima are a different sailing experience than what some are used to.  That doesn't bother me.  Matter of fact, I embrace different.

I agree! I have been on the Prima twice and loved it both times! Do not take other people's word for it! Try it for yourself and make up your own mind. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, peg013 said:

I agree! I have been on the Prima twice and loved it both times! Do not take other people's word for it! Try it for yourself and make up your own mind. 

Yes, we loved our Prima southern Caribbean cruise.  Came home and immediately booked a 2nd similar cruise on her.  It is different than other NCL cruises, but we loved it.  

For example, we love the Waterfront on the Away and Awayplus ships.  On Prima, they took that concept and expanded it in a delightful way.   

Bliss, Encore & Joy are favorites with us....but so is Prima.  Hope to find a good deal on a Viva cruise to book in the future😎

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BenCoudon said:

Finally, note that the entertaiment venues are very very small.  Theater:  About 750 seats.  Sid Norman's under 50 seats.   With 3500 passengers on board, getting a ticket to see the shows is a challenge.  There were many complains last year that on a 7 day cruise, people were not able to get tickets to see Donna Summer show.  If you don't pre-book your shows or don't do it the minute you are boarding the ship, it was sold out even before the ship sailed away.  

I was one of the people who did not have a reservation for the Donna Summer show; however, I used the virtual queue on the NCL app about an hour before the show and was able to get in. So, don't despair if you are told that the show is sold out when you board...I was always able to get in last minute, back in September and again in March. Happy planning!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

As far as entertainment, Syd Norman's is a favorite.  I'm aware of its size.  From the pics, it looks like the same size as on the Breakaway and Plus ships.  You just have to get in line early to get a seat, otherwise you're SRO.  But, Syd's is a smaller entertainment venue on all the ships who have it (and the Cavern Club, also).  If I want to see the show, I'll get in line early.

Syd Norman's is also my favorite. Yes, I stood in line 45 minutes prior to the show on the Prima in September and again in March. However, I also stood in line 45 minutes prior to the show on the Breakaway in October 2022 and on the Getaway in February 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, graphicguy said:

IKR?  LOL!

One of my favorite features of the recent NCL ships is the WATERFRONT with all the outdoor spaces.  Agree about sailing her in warmer climates.

But, I sailed the Bliss and the Encore in Alaska. I took advantage of being outside a lot given the stunning views.  I didn't mind layering up when it got chilly.  

Looks like the Prima and Viva offer the same outdoor areas.  I mean, you're on a cruise.  Isn't a major part of the appeal to be outside on deck?

Stop making sense graphic guy!   I literally just paid HALF of what I pause for my March 2022 Prima cruise.   I need people to keep complaining, it only drives the price lower for a fantastic unique ship like Prima! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yes I was so disappointed I sailed on the Prima twice!

Me too!  I’m sorry you didn’t like it.  It’s expensive to find out the ship wasn’t for you.   For us?  Our best NCL ship experience.  We loved her and enjoyed all her different and unique venues.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim The Lizard said:

Me too!  I’m sorry you didn’t like it.  It’s expensive to find out the ship wasn’t for you.   For us?  Our best NCL ship experience.  We loved her and enjoyed all her different and unique venues.  

Apologies...I was being facetious...taunting @graphicguy

On 6/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

Syd Norman's is also my favorite. Yes, I stood in line 45 minutes prior to the show on the Prima in September and again in March. However, I also stood in line 45 minutes prior to the show on the Breakaway in October 2022 and on the Getaway in February 2023.

Yes, syds and the comedy clubs are small venues on the ships that have them. 

Lines form early on all, so Prima is no different. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:36 PM, peg013 said:

We loved the Prima too! 😊

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 10:15 AM, BenCoudon said:

If you book the Prima (or the Viva) make sure you will be sailing in warm weather. As most of the public spaces are located outdoor, if you sail in cool or cold weather, you will be end up with overcrowded inside venues

Is t that true of most cruise ships. The Prima is purpose-built for colder climates. It’s has a observation lounge that is right-sized for a 3K passengers. Outdoor eating areas have ceiling heaters. Pools and water park are heated. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Color me confused, it looks like it's in the same spot that it's been at since the May sea trials.

After the May sea trails the Viva went to the Fincantieri Shipyard in Trieste, after a short stay she then went back to Marghera shipyard, she went dark ( AIC turned off ). This is the first movement since then, since the first cruise is in a month, suspect most of the crew is aboard, doing final cleaning, and most important an NCL crew is at the helm. Since there is no inside information this is all based on the Prima observations   

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Is t that true of most cruise ships. The Prima is purpose-built for colder climates. It’s has a observation lounge that is right-sized for a 3K passengers. Outdoor eating areas have ceiling heaters. Pools and water park are heated. 

I would say Prima was purpose built for Warm weather not cold.  The TA last Sept had cold/windy/rainy weather the entire time and all outside areas were unusable.  I did use the race cars 3 times and the wind was so bad it felt like my helmet would be ripped off.  I didn't use the observation lounge once due to it being way too cold inside.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RVACruiser43 said:

I would say Prima was purpose built for Warm weather not cold.  The TA last Sept had cold/windy/rainy weather the entire time and all outside areas were unusable.  I did use the race cars 3 times and the wind was so bad it felt like my helmet would be ripped off.  I didn't use the observation lounge once due to it being way too cold inside.  

I’d take the cold over everyone’s bare feet all over every square inch of the lounge.

I was determined to make the most of it - did the slide once and a couple of the infinity pools. While the water was heated, getting out was brutal.

Really hoping this year’s TA provides a lot more opportunity to use all the amazing outdoor spaces.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mast3rn8 said:

....Really hoping this year’s TA provides a lot more opportunity to use all the amazing outdoor spaces.

You do realize that's somewhat of an oxymoron, right?  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have there been any recent photos of her at Marghera? Curious if you can see Prima 3 under construction yet. 

By the way - I’m thinking #3 will be named Bella. just a guess….

PR1MA

V!VA

B3LLA

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Beezo said:

Have there been any recent photos of her at Marghera? Curious if you can see Prima 3 under construction yet. 

By the way - I’m thinking #3 will be named Bella. just a guess….

PR1MA

V!VA

B3LLA

Yes. Prima 3 is in the dock now. 

• Thanks 2