Everything.. Norwegian Viva/Prima class #2

FreestyleNovice

13 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Yes, I know. You can't make an improvement TO an event that has already happened. That's why I asked the question.

I guess a better way to word it would be "improvement compared to"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

They are great photos! I appreciate @JIMESOPUS sharing them. 

It seems about as busy as Pr1ma to me, but I'll be honest that I haven't followed many images of Pr1ma. Just the travails posted here on Cruise Critic.

I wonder if Cruise Critic is just full of a bunch of negative people (ok, ok...), but it's interesting V!va has the same slides going down the side. If there were such vitriol from all the actual passengers, not just Cruise Critic crowd, one would think the slides would have been eliminated. 

Did I read correctly, that you're booked on V!va? 

@cruiseny4life Thank you!

Yes - booked for May/June 2025 the Haifa to Athens cruise. Looks like an amazing itinerary. Yourself? As an aside, DH is from Oneonta and we both used to work in Cooperstown. He loves the fishing on the Mohawk!

Warmest, Amy

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Yes - booked for May/June 2025 the Haifa to Athens cruise. Looks like an amazing itinerary. Yourself? As an aside, DH is from Oneonta and we both used to work in Cooperstown. He loves the fishing on the Mohawk!

Warmest, Amy

Brooks Bar-B-Q !!!, love that smell driving thru that part of town, too bad they had to cut down on the smoke, you could see it from Franklin Mountain.

18 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Are you really satisfied with just sitting back for the next 5 years while the rest of us slog through the wilds of Prima class exploration? I thought you were much more aventurous than that.

I don't know! I can take bears sniffing at my tent, snakes slithering along the path in front of me, and balancing on a log over dangerous water crossings. I'm not sure I'm prepared for the sounds of creaky cabins, long waits for a seat at Indulge, pay-for mini golf, and an outdoor deck that's only useable if it's above 65 degrees (and not windy). Call me a timorous feller! 

18 hours ago, Grimix said:

Just call your butler... I don't think I've seen picking up dog waste in Gary's list of what butler will/won't do...

Ya know...next time I'll keep that onboard phone for when I return. Let's see how my mileage goes with that one. 

13 hours ago, amygutman said:

Warmest, Amy

That's stunning! Sounds like a lovely cruise for V!va's outdoor life. I can't wait to follow along...wow that's two years. How can you wait that long? We don't book trips less than a couple months out and even then I just have to start my "live" around at T-20'ish days haha....

But, we are looking at a couple itineraries. One out of New Orleans which would be an almost repeat of our most recent cruise (Roatan, Harvest Caye, Cozumel, and adding Costa Maya). Or, there's a nice looking ten day cruise from NYC that hits USVI/BVI/Puerto Rico and Bermuda. My lovely husband found a stunning cruise in the Med for August (like next month). We'd love, love, love to go there, but I'm afraid I probably shouldn't use my "sick" time to go on that cruise. It might be noticeable when I come home all tanned up. So...probably somewhere in the Caribbean!

11 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Brooks Bar-B-Q !!!, love that smell driving thru that part of town, too bad they had to cut down on the smoke, you could see it from Franklin Mountain.

Mmmmm....now you're talking! Sometimes they'll head up my way for a pop-up. Oneonta's a wee bit too far for me to travel for dinner. I almost went to Hartwick, then thought better of all those hills! Alas, @amygutman, I haven't taken my husband to the glimmering shores of Otsego Lake yet. (see what I did there...yea, yea, I know). We really ought to plan a trip down that way! 

Also, if you worked for the hospital, I'm really not a fan. I've applied for a couple HR jobs with their network and they just will not hire me! Can't say as I blame them. 🙂

Ok, y'all...back to V!va Puerto Rico and Luis Fonsi! 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Sad news from DH who is in Oneonta visiting his dad as we speak...Brooks no longer has a dine-in restaurant and online store for sauces. Only take-out. Apparently the sons have run that magnificent institution into the ground. It was an AMAZING smell - and those parking lot grills. Oh, the times they are a changin'...

Sadly, Amy

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Sad news from DH who is in Oneonta visiting his dad as we speak...Brooks no longer has a dine-in restaurant and online store for sauces. Only take-out. Apparently the sons have run that magnificent institution into the ground. It was an AMAZING smell - and those parking lot grills. Oh, the times they are a changin'...

True.  I still miss my old BBQ joint from where I grew up.  Like many small family businesses, the next generation moves onto something else and nobody wants to take over (or, worse, someone buys it out and doesn't know what they're doing), so it's just a memory.

8 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

True.  I still miss my old BBQ joint from where I grew up.  Like many small family businesses, the next generation moves onto something else and nobody wants to take over (or, worse, someone buys it out and doesn't know what they're doing), so it's just a memory.

A wonderful smelling memory....Woo-Hoo! It's Brooks BBQ!!!! - The Daily Planet Arthur

• Like 2

wonder if they have to replace Panels at Viva too? But maybe enough time to change them.

https://www.ft.com/content/8cfa4fdf-6d8d-486f-8be9-e14cafb36a43

with google search i could read the articel without paywall.

Fincantieri used Panels what lost their fire certifacations, they had that but lost it after new tests, sounds a little strange, because the new tests weren´t necessery at the moment.

That is, why they didn´t deliver the Explora 1. They have to replace the panels first to get the class for the ship. that is the reason why the ship will have a delay of some weeks now.

Edited by Steff79

I just noticed that I will have a very close look at the Viva next year.  I will be boarding the Escape on October 10 2024 in Trieste and, according to port schedule, the Viva will also be docked there on that day.

Ships are docking either side of the Trieste maritime terminal. And as the terminal is right downtown I will have a good view of it both from the street and on the upper deck of the Escape once I have boarded the ship  But...  still 15 months to go for that  🙂

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

wonder if they have to replace Panels at Viva too? But maybe enough time to change them.

https://www.ft.com/content/8cfa4fdf-6d8d-486f-8be9-e14cafb36a43

with google search i could read the articel without paywall.

Fincantieri used Panels what lost their fire certifacations, they had that but lost it after new tests, sounds a little strange, because the new tests weren´t necessery at the moment.

That is, why they didn´t deliver the Explora 1. They have to replace the panels first to get the class for the ship. that is the reason why the ship will have a delay of some weeks now.

This has no paywall.

https://www.cruisehive.com/faulty-safety-materials-may-put-dozens-of-cruise-ships-at-risk/105929

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, omahabob said:

But is not correct... This article lists a lot of ships which may be affected including shipy buildt by Meyer Werft/Meyer Turku. Meyer stated that they haven´t used the affected type of panels.

steamboats

• Like 1

Read it again. It says they MAY be affected because that shipyard contracts with the company that makes the panels. It doesn't say which panels were used, nor what ships they may have been used on. Where did Werft/Meyer make the statement that they didn't use them?

Looking at the 1/7/2924 sailing on viva

What is the process to get vibe passes and what does that include ?

entertainment and specialty restaurants - when we were in the encore TA in 2019, we called to reserve restaurants but had to book entertainment onboard. Still the same process?  Thanks!

2924???? How did you book THAT far in advance? Were the prices better? 😄

You can add Vibe passes online, or call Guest Services, preferably well enough in advance that they haven't sold out.

Edited by omahabob
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, omahabob said:

2924???? How did you book THAT far in advance? Were the prices better? 😄

You can add Vibe passes online, or call Guest Services, preferably well enough in advance that they haven't sold out.

No 2024.  Sorry about that.  

Were there waffles on board Prima? :classic_happy:

I found a NCL photo of a plate of waffles among other plates..

NCL_Food Hall_BluePlate_SpaghettiAndMeatballs, 

NCL_Food Hall_BluePlate_FishTacos,

some more BluePlates (which are not on actual blue plates :classic_smile:)

and NCL_Food,-Hall_LuigesWaffle

And some venues:

Toucan Cafe

The Blue Pearl icecream bar

Manta Ray's bar and grill

But those may be or sound like venues on the NCL islands perhaps? A Flighthouse logo in Topgun style also appeared at the same time. But that's offtopic.. :classic_ninja:

NCL_Food Hall_LuigesWaffle_09_F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Out of curiosity, and without wading through 18 pages of posts, does anyone know why the Viva is 1,000 tons lighter than the Prima? I imagine they just used lighter materials somewhere, but I'm curious.

Are you referring to the "gross tonnage" figure?  That's not the weight of the ship.   https://www.beyondships2.com/faq-gross-tonnage.html