Carnival Corp Pre-BoardTesting

BlerkOne

9 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

Sorry to question,  But i'm taking PCR test at my Wife's office,  so Sat - Fri- Thur - Wed (3 days before),    But that would be Wed after 12pm..  Am just missing the point.  Sorry but want to make sure i understand.

First cruise since the restart,  but i have flown international a few times and it was always 3 full days before.  Thus my confusion.

If you are “vaccinated” you have TWO days before sailing to get your test and the results.  So if you are sailing on Saturday you must take your test Thursday or Friday.  

For me personally I would not risk waiting on results from a PCR test getting back in time.  I would go with the Rapid test to have the results in hand in about 15min…

6388A761-19CC-459D-80E5-897B9B8802A6.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

Sorry to question,  But i'm taking PCR test at my Wife's office,  so Sat - Fri- Thur - Wed (3 days before),    But that would be Wed after 12pm..  Am just missing the point.  Sorry but want to make sure i understand.

First cruise since the restart,  but i have flown international a few times and it was always 3 full days before.  Thus my confusion.

So the rules are more lenient for un-vaccinated people that vaccinated people?

If you are cruising on Saturday, and fully vaccinated you need to have a negative test on Thursday or Friday... regardless of the time... so it's really 2 days, not 48 hours.

And yes, the unvaccinated have 3 days, but they also have to be tested again before boarding... and have to have travel insurance... and can't take non-Carnival excursions...

25 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

My understanding is it is two days before embarkation. So if your cruise embarkation day is Sat then the earliest would be Thursday at 12:01AM (not sure it is is your time zone, the ships or Carnivals)

Has anyone used curative for their pre-cruise test? One just opened about 5 mins from my house and they have plenty of appts available but they only do PCR tests. I asked and they said turnaround time is 1 - 2 days but was wondering if anyone here has actual experience with them. 

TIA

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually the girl asked to see the live link on mine. I tried and said internet not connected. I said ok you figure out how to see the link live. She said she was apple I was android. So she said well then other girl looked at the copy of my test.

Its stuff like this giving people stress, the inconsistencies. 

And you don’t have to to show it, unless they have a warrant to search your phone. And that’s a bs story anyway…

13 hours ago, JTBCruiser said:

All the more reason to do the rapid test within 48 hours if acceptable.

Because of the possibility of a false positive with the rapid test, many also want to get the PCR test done as insurance.   This was done more easily when the time frame was three days.  With it now being two days, you have to hope that the lab is not too busy or that the antigen test did not come up with a false positive result.

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Because of the possibility of a false positive with the rapid test, many also want to get the PCR test done as insurance.   This was done more easily when the time frame was three days.  With it now being two days, you have to hope that the lab is not too busy or that the antigen test did not come up with a false positive result.

The added complication for me is that day 1 is Christmas Eve, Day 2 is Christmas Day... unlikely that any labs will be open and processing, so it reduces my window to 1 day, really! I may go for it anyway, but any of the true same day tests require prepayment anyway so it's not like I'd save money, just safeguard against false positives... argggghhhh!

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

A positive is a positive. Do not pass go or collect a cruise. You don't get to keep taking until you get a result you like.

What happens if I have a positive COVID-19 test within 14 days of sailing?

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit

23 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Has anyone used curative for their pre-cruise test? One just opened about 5 mins from my house and they have plenty of appts available but they only do PCR tests. I asked and they said turnaround time is 1 - 2 days but was wondering if anyone here has actual experience with them. 

TIA

Had curative PCR test and results took 3 days - this was in the Woodlands, tx.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, grumpyjr88 said:

TIA

I had curative testing (PCR) done and it took 3 days for results.  

Not sure if anyone knows the answer but here goes.  I work in healthcare and we use the Binax Abbot rapid test kits, the same ones that they are selling for 70 bucks.  I obviously get them free but it wouldn't come with the help of a telehelp person to read the results, we write the results on the Binax form including lot numbers and expiration date.  Is anyone aware of this being ok or do I just take a chance and go to CVS or Walmart and get it done there and hope that the result gets back in time?   

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

A positive is a positive. Do not pass go or collect a cruise. You don't get to keep taking until you get a result you like.

What happens if I have a positive COVID-19 test within 14 days of sailing?

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit

There is a higher possibility of a false positive if you use the rapid test.  The PCR test is much more reliable and would have been easier if the CDC did not change the time frame from 72 to 48 hours.  The unvaccinated still have the time frame as 72 hours , so why do those who are already vaccinated are being penalized by the 24 hour reduction? 

29 minutes ago, dianap66 said:

Not sure if anyone knows the answer but here goes.  I work in healthcare and we use the Binax Abbot rapid test kits, the same ones that they are selling for 70 bucks.  I obviously get them free but it wouldn't come with the help of a telehelp person to read the results, we write the results on the Binax form including lot numbers and expiration date.  Is anyone aware of this being ok or do I just take a chance and go to CVS or Walmart and get it done there and hope that the result gets back in time?   

It has to be the ones that have the Rx in the lower left corner and is verified by the telehelp people.  CVS, Walgreens or walk in clinics are your best bet.  I'm hampered because I cruise on January 3, so I need to be tested on New Years Day.

Just now, DallasGuy75219 said:

Because the unvaccinated get tested again at the pier.

I know, but once again, the unvaccinated have 72 hours to get their PCR test done, while those who are vaccinated are penalized because we need to get it done in 48 hours, which makes the PCR test practically void because the labs can't get the results back in 48-50  hours with 100% certainty.

24 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There is a higher possibility of a false positive if you use the rapid test.  The PCR test is much more reliable and would have been easier if the CDC did not change the time frame from 72 to 48 hours.  The unvaccinated still have the time frame as 72 hours , so why do those who are already vaccinated are being penalized by the 24 hour reduction? 

Rapid tests rarely return a false positive. The concern with rapid tests is returning a false negative.

Chances of a rapid test giving a false positive

Rapid tests rarely give a false positive result. A false positive is when you test positive for COVID-19 when you don’t actually have it.

In the March 2021 review of studies mentioned earlier, the researcher found that rapid tests correctly gave a positive COVID-19 result in 99.6 percent of people.

58 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Several people here have reported getting false positives. 

Perhaps they still test positive after recovering from covid, but the tests, rapid or otherwise should have close to 0 false positives.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/which-test-is-best-for-covid-19-2020081020734

1 hour ago, grumpyjr88 said:

No, they were not recovering from COVID-19. It's easy to get false positive is you don't swab correctly. 

Curious where this info is sourced from, can you provide a link or citation? I like to have multiple perspectives info sources in my toolbox so to speak. 

2 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:

No, they were not recovering from COVID-19. It's easy to get false positive is you don't swab correctly. 

The easiest way to get a false positive with any test is to have it contaminated.

You are more likely to get a false negative if you have covid and don't swab correctly.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:45 PM, SNJCruisers said:

It has to be the ones that have the Rx in the lower left corner and is verified by the telehelp people.  CVS, Walgreens or walk in clinics are your best bet.  I'm hampered because I cruise on January 3, so I need to be tested on New Years Day.

We have the ones from Optum ordered from the Carnival link which require telehelp and they do not have RX in the bottom left but are definitely the correct ones.