Carnival Corp Pre-BoardTesting

BlerkOne

6 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

None that do the Antigen test… only the rapid test that takes 1-3 days to get results… not willing to take that risk..

plus, I’ll be in Texas for Christmas, same reason applies.

Cvs here in texas allows 2 weeks ahead booking for rapid test. I just put in my zip code. Most do the longer test but 2 came up for the rapid test within 10 miles or less.

My CVS told me they can test 45 a day but cut it off around 33 because that's how many tests they are shipped. No problem where I live in texas. She said she does a lot of testing for cruises.

Glad I live in texas, so easy here. I just got off vista Saturday and went thru it so recent experience.

They had results in 30 minutes. Same like many here have. 

Edited by firefly333

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually the girl asked to see the live link on mine. I tried and said internet not connected. I said ok you figure out how to see the link live. She said she was apple I was android. So she said well then other girl looked at the copy of my test.

Its stuff like this giving people stress, the inconsistencies. 

Live link of exactly what firefly?  Your negative test result? You mean beyond an electronic or paper version of your email?  That's pretty crazy. I'd be demanding to see the boss.

Again, this is perhaps the primary reason we choose to get tested in a way that they see 1000 times a cruise.  We're fortunate that CVS works well for us.

23 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Live link of exactly what firefly?  Your negative test result? You mean beyond an electronic or paper version of your email?  That's pretty crazy. I'd be demanding to see the boss.

Again, this is perhaps the primary reason we choose to get tested in a way that they see 1000 times a cruise.  We're fortunate that CVS works well for us.

HUH? I used CVS. I didnt have CVS app so they send a link. I'm guessing some people know how to do internet on their phone. I dont. I had a copy of the link I got on wifi when I was home. I had been told a copy was enough. 

I used CVS.. as I said above in a post.... so your post to me that's why you use CVS same as I used huh? I'm thinking a lot of people just show the link live FROM CVS. Is why she asked. ..as I said she let me thru with a copy of my negative results. 

Another lady I talked to almost didnt board. Her little vaccination place, didnt put her lot on the 1st shot and she spent hours calling Louisiana getting her lot number to board. 

Anyone who thinks there is never any stress got lucky. Cvs did my test and I was very happy with them. I was up at midnight 2 weeks before and scheduled my appt.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

HUH? I used CVS. I didnt have CVS app so they send a link. I'm guessing some people know how to do internet on their phone. I dont. I had a copy of the link I got on wifi when I was home. I had been told a copy was enough. 

I used CVS.. as I said above in a post.... so your post to me that's why you use CVS same as I used huh? I'm thinking a lot of people just show the link live FROM CVS. Is why she asked. ..as I said she let me thru with a copy of my negative results. 

Another lady I talked to almost didnt board. Her little vaccination place, didnt put her lot on the 1st shot and she spent hours calling Louisiana getting her lot number to board. 

Anyone who thinks there is never any stress got lucky. Cvs did my test and I was very happy with them. I was up at midnight 2 weeks before and scheduled my appt.

Ask @Saint Greg about using CVS!!! He went to them for his Mardi Gras cruise pre-test and got his results on Sunday- after sailing on Saturday! Luckily he was prepared for this and had a backup planned.

As for me, I checked all the CVS 's in the area of Texas I'll be in before the cruise and none of them had the Antigen test available that would give me same day results... they would only promise 1-3 days... when you have to have the test within 48 hours of boarding, this is too tight a window for me.

As for stress, I'm a constant worrier when it comes to travel! So I just prepare as best I can to minimize the stress before I go!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Ask @Saint Greg about using CVS!!! He went to them for his Mardi Gras cruise pre-test and got his results on Sunday- after sailing on Saturday! Luckily he was prepared for this and had a backup planned.

As for me, I checked all the CVS 's in the area of Texas I'll be in before the cruise and none of them had the Antigen test available that would give me same day results... they would only promise 1-3 days... when you have to have the test within 48 hours of boarding, this is too tight a window for me.

As for stress, I'm a constant worrier when it comes to travel! So I just prepare as best I can to minimize the stress before I go!

Yeah there’s no way I’d put all of my eggs in the cvs basket. 

That was my impression as well so wondering why so many are worried about turn around time for PCR (I am too since our ship leaves on a Sunday so I have to test on Friday) if a rapid test within 48 hours is acceptable.  Per the last letter from Carnival,  this is acceptable.  At least I'd know before flying out on Saturday, the results on Friday.  Am I missing anything?  BTW, both DW and I are vaccinated.

Edited by JTBCruiser
Left out a portion

2 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

That was my impression as well so wondering why so many are worried about turn around time for PCR (I am too since our ship leaves on a Sunday so I have to test on Friday) if a rapid test within 48 hours is acceptable.  Per the last letter from Carnival,  this is acceptable.  At least I'd know before flying out on Saturday, the results on Friday.  Am I missing anything?

PCR can take up to 72 hours if the lab is busy. I took one this past saturday at noon EST and I didn't get my result back until 6am this morning.

5 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

That was my impression as well so wondering why so many are worried about turn around time for PCR (I am too since our ship leaves on a Sunday so I have to test on Friday) if a rapid test within 48 hours is acceptable.  Per the last letter from Carnival,  this is acceptable.  At least I'd know before flying out on Saturday, the results on Friday.  Am I missing anything?  BTW, both DW and I are vaccinated.

That is the problem.  If the results aren't guaranteed within 48 hours but takes 49 hours, you may have a problem.  If it takes 72 hours, it is worthless.  

If you go to a local doctor or clinic that prints a letter for your results, just make sure they type Rapid Antigen on the result paper.  If not, you may get the letter rejected.  We were rejected last year by the USVI prior to our trip and had to get the clinic to retype the letter.

1 hour ago, JTBCruiser said:

Is this the same as a rapid test?

Yes. Read this.

PCR tests, look for genetic material from the virus, the antigen test looks for molecules on the surface of the virus. PCR tests require expensive and specialized equipment and can take hours or days to get results. In contrast, antigen tests can be run in a lab or doctor’s office in about 15 minutes.

3 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

All the more reason to do the rapid test within 48 hours if acceptable.

While I agree on the timing, From what I've read, the CDC prefers PCR Tests for those unvaccinated but rapid tests are fine for vaccinated.  Not fully informed of the real difference, except PCR tests pick up more potential COVID modules, which vaccinated people supposedly don't have.

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback thus far, feeling better about testing.  Frustrating part was I couldn't get a specific answer from my travel agent and couldn't reach anyone at Carnival on the phone or get an answer via e-mail.  We are both vaccinated so rapid test appears to be our answer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Interesting.  We simply had a physical copy of our CVS results on paper (as opposed to a link of some sort).  All the required info in a format they see 1000 times a day.  No problem whatsoever. Plan on the same thing this weekend.

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival will not be providing testing for vaccinated people a the ship, unless b2b.

The unvaxed are still tested at embarkation and before debarkation at the ship. Vaxed or unvaxed doing b2b are still tested at the ship.

"Unvaccinated guests must take an additional antigen test at embarkation, and test again within 24 hours of debarkation on all cruises longer than 4 days. "

"All guests traveling on back to back cruises, regardless of vaccination status, will need to be tested in between voyages. "

Curious, does anyone know how much they charge for the testing in a B2B? 

29 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Interesting.  We simply had a physical copy of our CVS results on paper (as opposed to a link of some sort).  All the required info in a format they see 1000 times a day.  No problem whatsoever. Plan on the same thing this weekend.

Same here. We just printed out the tests results. During embarkation, they glanced over it really good, then handed it back to us. 

Question,  if its a repeat i apologize.  But the email i got from Carnvial of course states a Sat cruise should be tested on Thursday or later "If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday"  Which is only 2 days before. But its actually 3 days before,  even if you went by the possible 72 hours then a test taken on Wed at 4pm would be good by the time we sail,  especially if i board at 11am.

So,  am i reading it wrong  or is there another reason that i'm missing why i do not have an extra day to make sure i get my test taken?

Just double checking.

4 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

Question,  if its a repeat i apologize.  But the email i got from Carnvial of course states a Sat cruise should be tested on Thursday or later "If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday"  Which is only 2 days before. But its actually 3 days before,  even if you went by the possible 72 hours then a test taken on Wed at 4pm would be good by the time we sail,  especially if i board at 11am.

So,  am i reading it wrong  or is there another reason that i'm missing why i do not have an extra day to make sure i get my test taken?

Just double checking.

they don't count embarkation day

The issue we are having with the rapid test is that no where within a 2 hour drive is doing them without being sick.  Even then it's really limited and first come first serve.  No appointments.  The lab tests are pretty easy to get but we wouldn't have our results until embarkation day if that. 

Our only real option is the at home test but it's really stressful not being able to have a solid back up plan. 

40 minutes ago, Jgarriso said:

Just double checking.

CDC changed the timing last week- if you are not vaccinated you have to have a negative test 3 days before, plus one at the port before embarkation.

If you ARE vaccinated you have to have a negative test, either PCR (takes 1-3 days) or an Antigen test (results can be as fast as 15 minutes after testing) within 48 hours... however they don't count the actual hours, just the days... so if you are sailing on Saturday you can get a negative test any time after 12:01 on Thursday...

Sorry to question,  But i'm taking PCR test at my Wife's office,  so Sat - Fri- Thur - Wed (3 days before),    But that would be Wed after 12pm..  Am just missing the point.  Sorry but want to make sure i understand.

First cruise since the restart,  but i have flown international a few times and it was always 3 full days before.  Thus my confusion.

So the rules are more lenient for un-vaccinated people that vaccinated people?

Edited by Jgarriso