New Princess Sphere class ships?

big al

5 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If the high end cabins don't have a reserved area seating for the shows I won't bother sailing on this new ship. 

I thought about this.  I can't imagine that NOT being part of the Signature and Reserve experience.  Indeed, the Reserve experience would seem to have this feature baked into its name.  And here I have no quarrel whatsoever as long as the theater is enlarged to account for the 23% increase in passenger load (or more shows added each night).  I have no issue with EVERYONE having access to a particular venue with certain classes of passengers having reserved access to it. (Think Club Class Dining).  Where I part ways is when that certain class of passengers supplants other passengers.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not that difficult of a concept.  Take the Sanctuary as an example.  There will be a "Signature" area within the Sanctuary.  We don't yet know how that will work.  But let's assume that among typical Sanctuary bookers, there is a consensus that certain lounger locations are preferred, and that there are 50 such loungers.  People scramble on departure day, falling all over themselves to get one of these 50.  And if they can't get one of these, there are 30 more that are solid second choice.  Not as good, but they'll do.  The remaining loungers are better than nothing, but not all that special.  Now suppose that the 3% (60 cabins, for a total of roughly 120 people) are allocated all of the 80 best loungers described above as part of their special section.  BOOM!  Your ribeye inventory is now affected.  Your usual Sanctuary booker who locks in a space during B2B cruises, and those who scramble up to the Sun Deck on departure day all of a sudden become #121+ in line as there are 120 "virtual" people ahead of them each and every time.  Their days of getting the plum loungers is over.  The very simple and predictable result of increasing demand without increasing supply, and then allocating the existing supply in an inequitable manner.  (Inequitable in terms of "effort to obtain" and past procedure, as opposed to inequitable based on $$$.)  At some point, giving someone a large balcony, and giving them teak furniture, and then on top of that giving them a plum location in the Sanctuary is going to have an impact downstream.  It has to.    

I get your point of course, but we don't know how much more space (and loungers) comprise the Sanctuary on the new ship.  It may be proportionately larger than Royal Class.  It may well be even MORE than proportionately larger since Princess is looking for more revenue-generating options.

Another thing is - IMO at least - a lot of current Sanctuary space is given over to very expensive cabanas ($220) and don't seem to be highly used.  Some of this space going to special suites wouldn't take a lot away from the rest of us.

I think your numbers analysis could use more once we know about all the "public" venues.  But not so easy to know as they don't publish square feet in these areas, number of loungers, etc.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not that difficult of a concept.  Take the Sanctuary as an example.  There will be a "Signature" area within the Sanctuary.  We don't yet know how that will work.  But let's assume that among typical Sanctuary bookers, there is a consensus that certain lounger locations are preferred, and that there are 50 such loungers.  People scramble on departure day, falling all over themselves to get one of these 50.  And if they can't get one of these, there are 30 more that are solid second choice.  Not as good, but they'll do.  The remaining loungers are better than nothing, but not all that special.  Now suppose that the 3% (60 cabins, for a total of roughly 120 people) are allocated all of the 80 best loungers described above as part of their special section.  BOOM!  Your ribeye inventory is now affected.  Your usual Sanctuary booker who locks in a space during B2B cruises, and those who scramble up to the Sun Deck on departure day all of a sudden become #121+ in line as there are 120 "virtual" people ahead of them each and every time.  Their days of getting the plum loungers is over.  The very simple and predictable result of increasing demand without increasing supply, and then allocating the existing supply in an inequitable manner.  (Inequitable in terms of "effort to obtain" and past procedure, as opposed to inequitable based on $$$.)  At some point, giving someone a large balcony, and giving them teak furniture, and then on top of that giving them a plum location in the Sanctuary is going to have an impact downstream.  It has to.    

Maybe Princess will continue to follow NCL's lead and allow Paxs to purchase the Sanctuary loungers ahead of time - online -  just like NCL does for the Vibe now. 

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Actually, I am hoping just the opposite, though I am betting that you will be right and I will be wrong.  To me, the Pacific Princess will always be a small ship where the crew knew you by name and the passengers got to know one another as well.  Calling one of these leviathans "Pacific Princess" just doesn't seem right to me.  Sort of like if Fiat built the equivalent of a Navigator and gave it the "Mini 500" badge.  

The next one will be Moon Princess, or one of the planets. 

Venus Princess..... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It may be proportionately larger than Royal Class.

You are of course correct that much more needs to be known. But what we do know is that the passenger load will be 23% higher than the Royal Class ships and PCL has NEVER increased venue spaces in proportion to the new  passenger load numbers.  Indeed, looking at swimming pool gallonage, when the Royal Class ships were introduced, they decreased the volume of the pools while increasing the passenger load by 17%.  I don't think it is possible for Sun Princess to bump out its public spaces by 23%.  Simply cannot be done within the length and beam of the ship unless an additional deck of public space is added to what now occupies Lido and Sun Decks.  You'd need a second Lido deck, in essence.  It does not appear that there is.  But we will wait to see.  But "Boy. This new ship really increased public space and grew in proportion to the new passenger load" said no one ever.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Maybe Princess will continue to follow NCL's lead and allow Paxs to purchase the Sanctuary loungers ahead of time - online -  just like NCL does for the Vibe now. 

Quite possible.  But early booking still won't get you into the plum locations if those are set aside for Sig and Rsv. 

30 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

what the heck !.webp

what did ya say you do for a living ?

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

Just now, c-boy said:

what did you say you do for a living ?

In essence, problem solving.  Big, expensive issues confronting a major corporation that need to be brought under control.  And lots and lots of legal brief editing in cases headed to State Supreme Courts and Federal Courts of Appeal. With an occasional U.S. Supreme Court brief thrown in now and then.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Quite possible.  But early booking still won't get you into the plum locations if those are set aside for Sig and Rsv. 

Until we know the deck plans we are all just speculating. They could design it like some of the NCL ships do - Vibe (like Sanctuary but with a bar and hot tubs) on one side and the Haven sundeck on the other. Vibe is often nicer than the Haven sundeck. Hard to say at this point. 

• Like 3

We are focused on the "wealthy" here, but that's only part of it.  They can't fill megaships with wealthy customers, so what about the rest of it?  Kids.  Families. Lots of kids to fill those 3rd and 4th bunks in all those cabins.  Princess is doing a smoke and mirrors thing here, saying "Ooo look at the shiny thing," but ignore all those kids, please.  I read about the "Classier Carnival" theory floating around.  That's the goal.  Thousands of families with a nice wall between them and the rich folk. 

36 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Yeah TA's can see the voyages but since the deck plans were up, but now removed, its hard to give guidance about which cabin to book.

Princess could have saved a lot of money by putting all the publicity money into web videos.  That's how most were watching it anyway.

...or perhaps having their website ready to go with all the information that will answer everyone's questions....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Until we know the deck plans we are all just speculating. They could design it like some of the NCL ships do - Vibe (like Sanctuary but with a bar and hot tubs) on one side and the Haven sundeck on the other. Vibe is often nicer than the Haven sundeck. Hard to say at this point. 

I suspect that this is exactly what they will do.  They have to keep the Sanctuary a desirable place to hang out in order to keep people interested in paying for it.  It has to generate revenue to be sustainable.  So they can't just leave scraps for the masses.  But even with a "half and half" split, they have decreased opportunity for those who are used to having things a certain way.  I don't think for one second that PCL is going to eliminate the current experience.  But it does seem that they are going to make it a bit more difficult to obtain. As I said earlier. Downward pressure on existing venues. 

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

The photo of Iona shows a glass covered area similar to the "dome" that was pretty heavily touted in the reveal, even with words to the effect that the Sun Princess was the first. 

The primary difference would seem to be that the iona does not have the dome over the forward area where the retreat pool is on the Royal Class and where the larger dome is on the Sun.

It does share the same circular area in the mid ship area so they are most likely again using the same basic platform with some modifications unique to each line.

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The next one will be Moon Princess, or one of the planets. 

Venus Princess..... 

Maybe Uranus Princess, fits better with the class system

Edited by ldtr

"Sun Princess will also debut a brand-new suite accommodation known as the Signature Collection, which will offer access to its exclusive Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and Signature Sun Deck, the latter of which is a private area of the Sanctuary sun deck."

Looks like they are joining a lot of other Premium/Resort style lines in getting a "ship within a ship" or at least exclusive space for full Suites.  The Concierge Lounge on the Royal class ships is nice but lacking when compared to similar lines.

"Club Class accommodations aboard Sun Princess, and the rest of the fleet, will now be renamed The Reserve Collection. These prime-location mini-suite staterooms will offer a new category, Reserve Collection Cabanas that offer a private balcony and cabana, an extra-large outdoor lounge space.

Aboard Sun Princess, Reserve Collection cabins will also have access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant, designed exclusively for those staying in this level of accommodation."

I wonder when this might take place for the rest of the fleet, renaming all Club to The Reserve Collection?  Will the Club on the other class of ships gain any new perks with this change?

-Quotes https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7105/

4 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I wonder when this might take place for the rest of the fleet, renaming all Club to The Reserve Collection?  Will the Club on the other class of ships gain any new perks with this change?

I was wondering the same thing. 

9 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Families are able to purchase a suite. In fact, the Sky Suites are perfect for families. They sleep 5 and have 2 bedrooms. 

That is doubtless going to happen, but there are far more cabins with 3/4 berths that there are suites, so I predict the number of kids will increase accordingly.

7 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Or will they become "Signature Suites" as on Sun, those are simply MS size cabins that buy up to Full Suite perks. 

1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I agree. Very lame, and the balloon at the end .... 🙄

My thoughts exactly. Looked like it was a little breezy possibly causing the delay in the announcement as they wanted to showcase the "Sun" balloon. Felt sorry for the acrobat under the balloon too.

• Like 1

I hope these 4000+ passenger ships are not a trend for Princess and they build at least one smaller ship with a capacity of 1500 passengers or less.

After cruising exclusively with Princess over the past 16 years my wife and I decided to take a look at the itineraries offered by Holland America on the Volendam which has a capacity of 1425 passengers.  We have decided to give them and book a 28 day cruise to the Amazon River.  They also have some fantastic itineraries to French Polynesia, Africa, etc. on this small ship.

We love Princess Cruises and hope they don’t become like Royal Caribbean   with a fleet of mega ships. 

038BBDE4-1A69-49AB-832B-B0DD125F26C3.jpeg

• Like 2