Celebrity MoveUp from Sky Suite….worth it?

spork1958

Hi, first time Celebrity cruisers (previous on RCI, Carnival) with a Sky Suite upcoming on Edge.  Just received the “move up” offers and while we see that the costs are significantly cheaper than actual suite costs, our question is whether (especially with just the two of us) it’s worth it.  Already have “the suite experience,” not sure of the value of simply more space….what do you think?

3 minutes ago, spork1958 said:

Hi, first time Celebrity cruisers (previous on RCI, Carnival) with a Sky Suite upcoming on Edge.  Just received the “move up” offers and while we see that the costs are significantly cheaper than actual suite costs, our question is whether (especially with just the two of us) it’s worth it.  Already have “the suite experience,” not sure of the value of simply more space….what do you think?

Totally depends on what you are looking for.  If you already have the suite experience, and are not sure there is value in more space, perhaps you answered your question.  I cruise in the suite for an elevated level of service, butler, stewards etc, but that is me, YMMV.  All very subjective of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the minimum bid offer. I can say from experience that $2500pp to move from an s3 to an Edge Villa was totally worth it. We loved having the retreat right outside or door as well as the extra room and hot tub on the deck. However, if you have mobility issues then it's not a good option. Looking at the layouts, the only ones on e class I would bid for would be the villa or the penthouse - even with a moveup bid the Iconic is waaaay out of my price range. I didn't think the royal suite layout was that great and the Celebrity Suite only offers extra room and doesn't have the extra amenities of the upper level suites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Much depends upon which suite you have, which suites are on offer for the Move Up, and which ship we're talking about.  To really be specific, you'll have to help us out there, else answers will have to be based upon a lot of assumptions.

In terms of 'perks', moving from a Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite, for example, is nada.  The CS only buys you more space.  Moving from a SS to a Royal Suite does come with a number of additional perks (unlimited specialty restaurant dining being one of them) in addition to yet more space.  So moving from a CS to an RS might not be as much of a jump in price, and the added perks may be worth it to you.

You'll have to help us out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cdresser said:

It depends on the minimum bid offer. I can say from experience that $2500pp to move from an s3 to an Edge Villa was totally worth it. We loved having the retreat right outside or door as well as the extra room and hot tub on the deck. However, if you have mobility issues then it's not a good option. Looking at the layouts, the only ones on e class I would bid for would be the villa or the penthouse - even with a moveup bid the Iconic is waaaay out of my price range. I didn't think the royal suite layout was that great and the Celebrity Suite only offers extra room and doesn't have the extra amenities of the upper level suites.

The Eclass RS, PH, EV to me are all lovely looking suites, the balconies though to me look way to small for a suite of that class.  Have not stayed in one yet so is just an observation from various videos I have seen.  Now the Iconic balcony, holy moly!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

Much depends upon which suite you have, which suites are on offer for the Move Up, and which ship we're talking about.  To really be specific, you'll have to help us out there, else answers will have to be based upon a lot of assumptions.

In terms of 'perks', moving from a Sky Suite to a Celebrity Suite, for example, is nada.  The CS only buys you more space.  Moving from a SS to a Royal Suite does come with a number of additional perks (unlimited specialty restaurant dining being one of them) in addition to yet more space.  So moving from a CS to an RS might not be as much of a jump in price, and the added perks may be worth it to you.

You'll have to help us out.

Great points….we had come to a similar conclusion with respect to the CS and were focused on the RS (and above, although eventually the price point catches up!😂)…

• Like 1

Still don't know which ship, so don't know which suites are possible (this chart doesn't include some of the most recent additions for E class ships), but here is a chart that may help you in making your decision:  What ship ARE we talking about here???

Suite Perks.pdf

Edited by canderson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spork1958 said:

I am currently on Edge and in a Sky Suite.  I absolutely love it.  Originally had a Aqua cabin, but didntt like the infinite veranda issue.  Love having a balcony.  The pluses are many, that come with it.  , premium drink pkg, 2 extreme stream pkgs,Luminae, ( or blu if they have the room). A resort host (butler) that will get you anything you need. plus the Retreat.   If you make that decision, you will love it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Still don't know which ship, so don't know which suites are possible (this chart doesn't include some of the most recent additions for E class ships), but here is a chart that may help you in making your decision:  What ship ARE we talking about here???

Suite Perks.pdf 1.07 MB · 13 downloads

It looks like the PDF is outdated…all suites now include premium beverage package, streaming WIFI, tips and a $600 OBC. Loved sailing in a sky suite on the Edge.

Yes, it is.  As I say, it doesn't even include E class ship's unique suites, but it seems to be the most recent thing published by X.  They're not the best at keeping their 'messaging' in concert and up to date. 

Hoping the OP knows what perks they already have for comparison.  

Edited by canderson

Thanks everyone for thoughts!  It’s very compelling to save the upgrade money for another cruise!  (Although the EV looks enticing! I’m expecting a great experience from the SS with accompanying E-class amenities, I think.  Thanks again!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, spork1958 said:

Thanks everyone for thoughts!  It’s very compelling to save the upgrade money for another cruise!  (Although the EV looks enticing! I’m expecting a great experience from the SS with accompanying E-class amenities, I think.  Thanks again!

You will love every minute of it!

You have already made the choice with the price you are comfortable with and the location of the cabin you want 

moving up makes you spend more money than you wanted to spend that basically gives you more space but nothing more  unless you move up to a RS a or above that gives you the amenities of that category

It is up to you of you want to spend the extra money for more space that in my opinion isn’t worth it 

this is my option that you asked for and doesn’t amount to anything as others may disagree 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

If my understanding is correct, Sky Suite guests get all the perks of the Retreat. If this is the case, and if the SS is large enough for you, I’d stay with the SS. The only X cruises we’ve taken have been two a bit before the pandemic in suites with full retreat perks (though it wasn’t called that then) and the onboard experience was equal to (or better than) our previous experience on Regent and Silversea. On the other hand, from what we saw of  the experience of non-retreat guests we would not book X in the future without retreat perks. Too many lines and crowds. If my understanding about SS perks is correct, our next cruise may well be in the SS.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, spork1958 said:

Frankly, we don't care for the extra hand holding you get with a suite.  The space is nice, but we don't stay in the cabin a lot.   We did a suite once, but will never pay more than a veranda or aqua.

8 hours ago, zgscl said:

Is the SS the only suite that has a bed convertible to twins? From what I gather it looks like CS/RS do not have convertible beds.

I hope all the suites do. I am thinking of a suite someday but cruise with a friend and we need seperate beds.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Frankly, we don't care for the extra hand holding you get with a suite.  The space is nice, but we don't stay in the cabin a lot.   We did a suite once, but will never pay more than a veranda or aqua.

We get your point of view.  When DW and I are on any ship we spend most of our waking time outside of the cabin/suite.  We enjoy the ship, people watching, lounging on deck, etc.   Staying inside our cabin (or on a veranda) is not our idea of fun.  We once calculated that we spend a total of no more then 3 waking hours in our cabin/suite on a typical day.  So even spending $1500 a week for a larger suite means we are spending $70 per waking hour for that extra space.  The amenities are a different story and that is where we do get a decent return on investment.

There is another issue that we have often brought up on CC.  We are not loyal to any cruise line (have cruised on 16 lines) but are very addicted to cruising.  But once you move up to the suite life you might want to balance the pros and cons of a suite on a mass market ship vs a suite (possibly smaller) on a luxury cruise line such as Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.  Having cruised on a few luxury lines we find the overall atmosphere and amenities superior to the suite life.   Once your cost per passenger day (including everything you spend aboard) reaches around $400 you are getting into an area where there may be other options on luxury line.   Perhaps the simple way to look at it is to compare it to having the most expensive home in an OK neighborhood vs having a medium size home in a very high-end neighborhood (i.e luxury line).

Hank

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never had a problem with sky suites, totally agree upgrade to celebrity suite is not worth it , we were on edge in July and we were celebrating a few things so I wanted something really nice,  we upgraded to the penthouse, doubt we would do it again but we just loved it. When you go to royal suite or higher you get lots of great perks including free specialty restaurants ( even though Luminae is always great) liquor setup and other things , just depends on budget, we have a tendency to splurge on vacation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I hope all the suites do. I am thinking of a suite someday but cruise with a friend and we need seperate beds.

I do not think that it would be an issue in a Sky Suite.  I know on some of the Solstice Class ships the Royal Suite is one bed.  (Silhouette is one if I recall correctly).  Therefore you will want to confirm,