Can You Cruise with just a Passport?

FijiFlip

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Crazy part is that I finally broke down and got passports for the family so that we can have more vacation options and for cruising in case something happens covid related; it actually took less information to get the passport vs the real ID I got before it. I'm very surprised California (and other states) didn't just opt to add the background check for the Real ID so they could be EDL's. Same exact paperwork required for both but the Real ID doesn't have the federal background check. It seems silly to have stricter paperwork requirements for a Real ID than passports. The states should have offered both options for drivers licences/ID's to those of us who would like to have the additional benefit. Frustratingly inefficient and illogical. 

They also have to have a memorandum of agreement with DHS, which as I understand it is a sticking point for many states. My EDL cost $25 more than a REAL ID license, which is something many people would balk at too.

15 hours ago, leitmotif said:

Yes, I understand this. I also have Global Entry/Pre-check which required an interview etc... it would be nice if we didn't have to have so many darn pieces of ID from separate entities just to prove I am me and I where I am a citizen of.

It used to be simple. The bad guys took advantage of simple.

On 10/4/2021 at 9:20 PM, sgttami said:

If you have a passport, you don't need anything else.  Best ID there is.

I thought so to but in Sept. We boarded the Pride out of Baltomore and TSA ask for my drivers license.  They did not ask for my husbands?? Don't know why and agent would not give me a reason.

44 minutes ago, drafterdw said:

I thought so to but in Sept. We boarded the Pride out of Baltomore and TSA ask for my drivers license.  They did not ask for my husbands?? Don't know why and agent would not give me a reason.

Weird.       My last 7 cruises were on Pride and I only showed my passport.  I always have my DL with me anyway but was never asked for it.

I have never cruised or traveled without a passport.  Got my first one 50 years ago and never go anywhere without it, whether I need it or not. 

If it’s a Caribbean cruise or Mexico the six month ‘rule’ does not apply.  As long as it is valid the day you get off the ship back in the US you are fine.  However some cruise lines, particularly premium or luxury, may require it.  EM

11 hours ago, sharon&family said:

We cruise in April and some of our passports will expire in a little less than 6 months from that time.  Will this be a problem on the cruise ship or to use for airport identification?

I myself wouldn't chance it-apply for the renewal now

12 hours ago, sharon&family said:

We cruise in April and some of our passports will expire in a little less than 6 months from that time.  Will this be a problem on the cruise ship or to use for airport identification?

The simple solution is simply apply for new passports now. Problem solved.

• Like 1

While yes it's a good idea to renew passports early, given sometimes they get delayed, there is no need for a passport for a closed loop cruise unless you are worried you might get left behind at a port due to you not paying attention to ship time or taking a long non-ship private excursion that ventures a good distance away from the cruise port.

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

The simple solution is simply apply for new passports now. Problem solved.

Except there are huge delays right now in passport processing. And you have to send your current one back when you request renewal. There are no guarantees that you will get it in time. 

Edited by staceyglow

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Except there are huge delays right now in passport processing. And you have to send your current one back when you request renewal. There are no guarantees that you will get it on time. 

Uh, currently routine processing takes 8 to 11 weeks which is plenty of time for an April cruise.  Expedite processing is 5 to 7 weeks.  Recently I've heard of people getting a renewal in less than a month and that was routine processing.  So my advice stands, renew it now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drafterdw said:

TSA isn't at the port, only airports. Is the name in your passport different from your license?

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

While yes it's a good idea to renew passports early, given sometimes they get delayed, there is no need for a passport for a closed loop cruise unless you are worried you might get left behind at a port due to you not paying attention to ship time or taking a long non-ship private excursion that ventures a good distance away from the cruise port.

And even then an unexpired passport is still good for reentry to the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharon&family said:

We dont want to renew them as some of the ones expiring are my older teens who most likely wont be cruising with us again.  We cruise in April and they expire in August.  I hope we will be ok.

For a closed loop cruise you should be fine because you can take those cruises without a passport, so it would be the height of silliness for a country to require passport holders to have 6 months left. There aren't that many countries that have a 6 month requirement to begin with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

TSA isn't at the port, only airports. Is the name in your passport different from your license?

Nope everything the same on all my documents and the lady who ask for my license was wearing a shirt with TSA on it as were all the people checking documents before you got to carnival check in people.

15 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Nope everything the same on all my documents and the lady who ask for my license was wearing a shirt with TSA on it as were all the people checking documents before you got to carnival check in people.

Since the TSA doesn't provide security at sea ports it was likely a private security company with the same initials (and if you respond that the shirt was an official TSA shirt just like the one they wear at the airport then I will respond this is the first I've heard of them providing security at a sea port🙂).

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Since the TSA doesn't provide security at sea ports it was likely a private security company with the same initials (and if you respond that the shirt was an official TSA shirt just like the one they wear at the airport then I will respond this is the first I've heard of them providing security at a sea port🙂).

I don't know where you got your information that TSA isn't at sea ports but in reality they do provide security at cruise terminals.  The TSA website will confirm this.