Can You Cruise with just a Passport?

FijiFlip

My son has lost his drivers license and there is a chance it might not be replaced before we cruise. Can he cruise with just his passport? He is not a student any longer and does not have any other photo ID. He does have his birth certificate.

Back in 2012, my family was at the airport to check in for our flight to a Carnival Cruise out of Long Beach.  I opened my giant purse to pull out my driver's license for TSA and my wallet was gone. Fortunately, DH had my passport in his bag, and that's what I used for all ID purposes.  Assuming nothing has changed since then, your son should be fine.

I never did find out what happened to my wallet.  I spent that entire evening cancelling all of my credit cards, and apparently none of them had been used.  We didn't let it ruin our vacation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FijiFlip said:

My son has lost his drivers license and there is a chance it might not be replaced before we cruise. Can he cruise with just his passport? He is not a student any longer and does not have any other photo ID. He does have his birth certificate.

Be sure to check the expiration date. A current passport is the gold standard for identification purposes. 

2 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

My son has lost his drivers license and there is a chance it might not be replaced before we cruise. Can he cruise with just his passport? 

No.  He also needs 3 other documents. 1. boarding pass, 2. vaccination card, 3. qualifying negative covid test done one or two days prior to the sailing date.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

No.  He also needs 3 other documents. 1. boarding pass, 2. vaccination card, 3. qualifying negative covid test done one or two days prior to the sailing date.

None of those have a photo on them. I think we all know the intent of the OP's question. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

One other caveat, the passport typically needs to have at least 6 months left prior to the expiration date for extra-US air travel.  I realize this is a cruise question, but if you're trip is disrupted, you may have an additional hoop or two to go thru.  Still, the answers given by most in this thread are correct - passport trumps other ID, except with driving based excursions. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Some ports do require a photo ID when re-entering the port area and in those ports he would need to take his passport ashore to meet that requirement.

And I also remember one excursion in Alaska that required a passport as it was on a train that crossed the border into Canada.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

That is all he needs.

16 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

My son lost his wallet in Miami, the night before our cruise. He was fine with his passport. 

Thank you all for the GREAT responses. This makes me feel soooo much better. Our DMV in VA has JUST now started to take walk in service so he is going to try that tomorrow. Also, thank you for the heads up on DL needs for excursions. We were looking at one of the doon buggy/atv tours and he will need it if we do that. Aren't the trials and tribulations of parenthood fun?? LOL

Thanks again everyone!!

Smooth sailings, champagne wishes, and caviar dreams be with you! 🥂

Flip

• 3 weeks later...

How about without a passport? Mine is currently being renewed and may not be sent to me before I cruise in December to Baja Mexico. I understand that is a closed loop cruise so I think I am ok. But what about for shore excursions and whatnot? Panorama cruise December to Ensenada and Cabo.

22 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

How about without a passport? Mine is currently being renewed and may not be sent to me before I cruise in December to Baja Mexico. I understand that is a closed loop cruise so I think I am ok. But what about for shore excursions and whatnot? Panorama cruise December to Ensenada and Cabo.

As always, in general you can cruise with a (regular) DL + BC, or just an Enhanced DL.  Some exceptions have occurred in the past, I am not aware of any right now for current itineraries.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, leitmotif said:

Passengers 16 and over will need a government issued ID and birth certificate or other proof of US citizenship. As long as the shore excursion doesn't cross borders you are ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

As always, in general you can cruise with a (regular) DL + BC, or an Enhanced DL.  Some exceptions have occurred in the past, I am not aware of any right now for current itineraries.

To be clear the Enhanced Drivers License is only issued by 5 states, Vermont, New York, Minnesota, Michigan, and Washington State and this shouldn't be confused with REAL ID compliant licenses. 

Edited by sparks1093

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

To be clear the Enhanced Drivers License is only issued by 5 states, Vermont, New York, Minnesota, Michigan, and Washington State and this shouldn't be confused with REAL ID compliant licenses. 

Indeed.  I thought about clarifying that point, but got lazy.  😉

14 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed.  I thought about clarifying that point, but got lazy.  😉

I understand, but people are confused by it and it's worth pointing out to keep them from showing up with just a drivers license.

14 hours ago, leitmotif said:

I do have a REAL ID from CA. That required my BC. So many loopholes andone document is good here but not there. Oh well. BC + DL it is, thanks!

All one needs for a REAL ID compliant license is proof of legal presence in the US. The REAL ID license doesn't come with a background check or with a machine readable chip similar to what is in a passport/passport card. And the REAL ID allows one to enter into property under federal jurisdiction whereas the EDL is recognized by other countries as proof of US citizenship (and may be used as a stand alone document for cruises). So there are key differences between the two.

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All one needs for a REAL ID compliant license is proof of legal presence in the US. The REAL ID license doesn't come with a background check or with a machine readable chip similar to what is in a passport/passport card. And the REAL ID allows one to enter into property under federal jurisdiction whereas the EDL is recognized by other countries as proof of US citizenship (and may be used as a stand alone document for cruises). So there are key differences between the two.

Yes, I understand this. I also have Global Entry/Pre-check which required an interview etc... it would be nice if we didn't have to have so many darn pieces of ID from separate entities just to prove I am me and I where I am a citizen of.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:35 PM, leitmotif said:

I do have a REAL ID from CA. That required my BC. So many loopholes andone document is good here but not there. Oh well. BC + DL it is, thanks!

Crazy part is that I finally broke down and got passports for the family so that we can have more vacation options and for cruising in case something happens covid related; it actually took less information to get the passport vs the real ID I got before it. I'm very surprised California (and other states) didn't just opt to add the background check for the Real ID so they could be EDL's. Same exact paperwork required for both but the Real ID doesn't have the federal background check. It seems silly to have stricter paperwork requirements for a Real ID than passports. The states should have offered both options for drivers licences/ID's to those of us who would like to have the additional benefit. Frustratingly inefficient and illogical. 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, FijiFlip said:

My son has lost his drivers license and there is a chance it might not be replaced before we cruise.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, FijiFlip said:

We were looking at one of the doon buggy/atv tours and he will need it if we do that. Aren't the trials and tribulations of parenthood fun??

Perhaps having to ride, instead of driving, the dune buggy  might just reenforce the notion of being more careful of his drivers license...This is how one learns - Especially Teenage boys. There are sometimes unpleasant consequences to inattentiveness.  This really sounds like his problem, not yours - Well except for the cash you laid out for the cruise - but that seems coved with his passport - but the driving ?

Actually, now that I recall, I took my 20 year old daughter on a trip to Hawaii, and rented a car for a single day to go around the Big Island. She wanted to drive, but the rental company wanted $75 to put her on the rental agreement for 1 day (She was under 25). Hence, I drove the entire trip,  much to her annoyance. You may well have the same sort of issue with a minimum age for the dune buggy rental.

Edited by RGEDad