Dress code?

38 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Don't tell me it's airline luggage fees that are preventing you from looking sharp.

I think the Dress Code Police on here forget that not everyone wants to dress sharp, or wants to dress to impress, or wants to drag a “Mrs. Thurston Howell III” steamer trunk full of “wardrobe for very occasion” to the ship in their car. And if you want to pack a minimalist saddlebag or teeny tiny carryon, and that’s it, that’s your choice. 

I think some of the Dress Code Police on here forget that there are people whose work-life is a suit and tie - every … single … day. Heck, I don’t even own a suit. And I’m not buying one just for this cruise to wear. I didn’t even wear a suit to my dad’s funeral this year, and he’d had wanted it exactly like that. 

And I think some of the Dress Code Police on here need to mind their own business when it comes to what other people are wearing. It’s none … of …your …business. Period.

I’m driving to the ship from north-central West Virginia, and bought a brand new 32” suitcase just for this occasion, and mainly because I don’t even own any suitcases. And I’ll pack what I please in that suitcase. If what I wear offends you, or anyone else, as long as what I’m wearing is not indecent, that’s just tough. 

😎

Edited by matt1
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well, matt1, I'm sure you'll look just fine in the way you want to present your image to the world.

I wore a suit most of my working days and now I only wear a suit and tie to marryins and buryins.  I described my on-board ensemble to show that it's easy to look sharp without adding a lot of space or weight to your luggage.

I was also taught to dress for the occasion.  I don't wear a suit to a biker bar and I don't wear my Harley gear to a fine restaurant.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well, matt1, I'm sure you'll look just fine in the way you want to present your image to the world.

I was also taught to dress for the occasion.  I don't wear a suit to a biker bar and I don't wear my Harley gear to a fine restaurant.

This next cruise, which will be on Anthem of the Seas, will be #51 for me. At the ripe old (young?) age of 62, I’ve “presented my image to the world” for decades in a wide range of cruise lines, cruise ships, and cruise classes from Carnival to Cunard. Royal Caribbean isn’t my first choice - that would have been Princess or Celebrity - but was, by default, one of only two choices that are within driving range in the first week of December. In this day and age of COVID, I prefer not to fly. And Anthem was the best ship of the limited choices. Norwegian Epic was the other, and I’d rather just have stayed home. 

I’ve “been there and done that” with playing dress up for dinner. It’s why I prefer the casual atmosphere of the lido deck buffets or specialty restaurants.

As for “fine dining”, Central Park 150 may qualify, but as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the Royal Caribbean fleet only has “specialty” or “themed” restaurants. Even the MDR on formal night is just a pony show from a bygone era to impress others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

my gf had a spectacular dress the 1st nite and i just let her lead me into the MDR. i seriously doubt anyone looked at me in shorts. i mean, who looks at guys anyway. all eyes on the lady.  i paid what you paid and id never let what you wear affect me and reverse should be true. the world in general would be a better place if people didnt care what others did so much. 

That’s what I’m counting on.  My wife is a stunner who aged like fine wine. The kids are into the experience, not impressing anyone. Our goal is to make some fine memories and if my attire isn’t up to snuff for Karen, oh well. She can ruin her companion’s dinner worrying about it while I sip some Henny. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, matt1 said:

This next cruise, which will be on Anthem of the Seas, will be #51 for me. At the ripe old (young?) age of 62, I’ve “presented my image to the world” for decades in a wide range of cruise lines, cruise ships, and cruise classes from Carnival to Cunard. Royal Caribbean isn’t my first choice - that would have been Princess or Celebrity - but was, by default, one of only two choices that are within driving range in the first week of December. In this day and age of COVID, I prefer not to fly. And Anthem was the best ship of the limited choices. Norwegian Epic was the other, and I’d rather just have stayed home. 

I’ve “been there and done that” with playing dress up for dinner. It’s why I prefer the casual atmosphere of the lido deck buffets or specialty restaurants.

As for “fine dining”, Central Park 150 may qualify, but as far as I’m concerned, the rest of the Royal Caribbean fleet only has “specialty” or “themed” restaurants. Even the MDR on formal night is just a pony show from a bygone era to impress others. 

That’s what I’m talking about.  I have you beat by a decade, my fine Sir ✌️My family’s comfort is my main concern, my son and my trouser choice not so much. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HicksRA said:

In my post, I said comfortable WITH, not comfortable IN. I could not feel comfortable walking into formal night or a nice restaurant dressed like a slob and I don’t believe most others would either.
I always dress nice, but not a suit and tie or tux. In my observations I’d say true formal attire on formal night (or dress your best) is about 15%.  

Actually you said "Mom doesn’t pick out our outfits anymore 🙂 and we want to be comfortable" and "My wife and daughter will still do it up right, they love it, but we would like to stay more comfortable and casual while still looking slick without embarrassing mom." 

I'd just say add a tie to your shirt and you'll be fine. No need then to pack extra- just a tie. 

I went on a back to back once which had maybe 20% full formal, and the next week was at least 75% full formal, same ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matt1 said:

This cruise was supposed to be an outlet to get away for a week and really relax without worrying what everyone else is thinking about me and my attire.

Just went to my Cruise Planner and cancelled all of my specialty dining literally out of fear that I’d be out of place. It breaks my heart . 

With all due respect, if we wanted to get away and relax without worrying that everyone is thinking about us and our attire, it wouldn't be on ships the size and passenger count of Royal Caribbean's fleet.  You want to get away from the world, not take it with you.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Wear what you want to the MDR. Short of bathing suit and tank top, no one will bat an eye if you wear shorts, even on formal night.

Where does it end? Not too long ago tie or jacket minimum was required or you did not get in. It keeps going down a slippery slope which is the issue. Next is speedos, tank tops, bath robes, bare feet, etc. Then all the now casual people will complain about that.  

8 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, if we wanted to get away and relax without worrying that everyone is thinking about us and our attire, it wouldn't be on ships the size and passenger count of Royal Caribbean's fleet.  You want to get away from the world, not take it with you.

I did just fine on the 14-night B2B on Royal Princess (best cruise ever), the prior B2B’s on Celebrity Cruises and on Allure/Ruby Princess. It’s not the size of the fleet, or the ship capacity, it’s the passenger mentality. I don’t recall being dressed down by the Dress Code Police on those cruises. 

😎

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Where does it end? Not too long ago tie or jacket minimum was required or you did not get in. It keeps going down a slippery slope which is the issue. Next is speedos, tank tops, bath robes, bare feet, etc. Then all the now casual people will complain about that.  

That’s taking it to the extreme. 🙄 It’ll be up to the maître d’ to define what is and what isn’t acceptable, and on a case-by-case basis, by that day’s recommended dress policy. I’ve been on Princess Cruises where they turned away people from the MDR for tank tops and holed jeans. I’d expect no less of RCI. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Only the staff at the MDR entrance can make that call. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matt1 said:

So, I’m on the fence now cancelling all of my specialty dining (Jamie's and Izumi) reservations because of comments like this. That, and threads where I’ve read that tipping EXTRA on top of the tip that’s already included in the price is almost expected, and that the pre-paid tips I’ve paid apparently aren’t going to be enough to cover everyone else. 🤔

Guess I’ll save all that money I would have spent on specialty restaurants and just buy me a better drink package. LOL 🤣

Did I cover everything: dress code, tips, and drinks, all in one post! 😉

don't forget chair hogs and children 🙂

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Only the staff at the MDR entrance can make that call. 

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

Nope.  This trend is a reflection of how people live their day to day now, which is casual and comfortable, no bathrobes, no tanks….just casual comfortable.  The days of dress to impress are long gone.  And I for one am happy to see it go.  Go to any big city restaurant that’s open, and the dress is casual. Want to dress to the nines? Go for it. But after the year and a half we’ve all had, no one making an effort deserves  to be judged harshly.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, matt1 said:

Thank you. 👍 

However, I’m self conscious enough as it is cruising solo, and not having the nicest cruise clothes. I wear a lot of jeans (no holes or frayed) and crazily designed button down shirts. And I’m having a hard enough time even just going on this cruise with all the distractions in my every day life, and having lost friends and family this year. It’s enough to make me break down and cry.

This cruise was supposed to be an outlet to get away for a week and really relax without worrying what everyone else is thinking about me and my attire.

Just went to my Cruise Planner and cancelled all of my specialty dining literally out of fear that I’d be out of place. It breaks my heart . 

Hi matt1.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, because it's not my intention, but you do you.

If you are comfortable in a venue (how you feel about how you are dressed)  and you are within the guidelines of the space, more power to you. "It's your cruise" isn't license for someone to do literally anything they want (just ask anyone who has been kicked off 🙂) but it does mean you have the freedom to enjoy yourself (within reason). Chances are pretty good that you won't be the best, or worst, dressed person there.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and find lots of good food, wherever you decide to eat. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matt1 said:

Thank you. 👍 

However, I’m self conscious enough as it is cruising solo, and not having the nicest cruise clothes. I wear a lot of jeans (no holes or frayed) and crazily designed button down shirts. And I’m having a hard enough time even just going on this cruise with all the distractions in my every day life, and having lost friends and family this year. It’s enough to make me break down and cry.

Matt, far more people are like me and could not care less what other people are doing, or wearing, on the ships. Don't stress over some of the comments you read on dress code threads. They cause unneccessary concern about an issue that is pretty much a non issue on the ships.

Other than being obnoxious, smelling badly, or looking like a total slob it's all good. Oh yeah, I would also add licking your fingers in the Windjammer but I think that is covered under the obnoxious category.😉

• Like 4

8 hours ago, matt1 said:

Thank you. 👍 

oh, @matt1 Please don’t let some here take away your joy!  Rebook the specialty dining.  Your attire will be fine.  I’ve read many posters here in the past saying they didn’t want to dress up on formal nights in MDR, so booked specialty venues instead on those nights.   Go, have fun, most people will be enjoying themselves, and not judging others.  

Edited by BSocial
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, matt1 said:

I didn’t even wear a suit to my dad’s funeral this year, and he’d had wanted it exactly like that. 

Sorry for the loss of your Dad

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

and now I only wear a suit and tie to marryins and buryins

😁

2 hours ago, BSocial said:

@matt1 Please don’t let some here take away your joy!  Rebook the specialty dining.

This

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BSocial said:

oh, @matt1 Please don’t let some here take away your joy!  Rebook the specialty dining.  Your attire will be fine.

I appreciate everyone’s kind words, and may rebook once onboard Anthem of the Seas, but for now it’s all cancelled, along with the RoyalUp bid I decided to place for a Junior Suite. Sort of cancelled everything in a mad flash. 😢 Was having a really bad day yesterday, and was reading CC to relax. It had the completed opposite effect. I actually now regret booking this cruise. Hopefully as the weeks pass and I get close to sail date, that feeling will pass. Check-in is this Wednesday. 

• Like 1

And to add one more thing, well two, Matt, even though I dress up a bit in the evenings, I do not eat dinner in the MDR.  It's generally too loud to converse without shouting and it takes too long. I also avoid the production shows as well because they are over amplified.  My evening routine is to follow the smaller music venues and enjoy a wee dram or three while enjoying the music.

One of the many things I enjoy about cruising is the choices available.

• Like 1

We will be sailing on the Oasis in March.  We last cruised in 2017 on the Allure - and my husband brought a suit for the formal nights.  I wore evening/dressy tunics with black dress slacks.  At that time, it seemed most dressed up.  Reading now - I think the most I'll have my husband pack is a sport coat - to maybe wear on the formal nights over a polo and khakis.  That may be for that first formal night (do they still do two?) or for our Chef's Table on night 3.  I'll take nicer tunic-style tops to wear with capris.  It'll be WAY easier to pack if I don't have to pack a suit for him!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moonltnite said:

We will be sailing on the Oasis in March.  We last cruised in 2017 on the Allure - and my husband brought a suit for the formal nights.  I wore evening/dressy tunics with black dress slacks.  At that time, it seemed most dressed up.  Reading now - I think the most I'll have my husband pack is a sport coat - to maybe wear on the formal nights over a polo and khakis.  That may be for that first formal night (do they still do two?) or for our Chef's Table on night 3.  I'll take nicer tunic-style tops to wear with capris.  It'll be WAY easier to pack if I don't have to pack a suit for him!  

YOU pack for your husband?  Oh my.

12 hours ago, satxdiver said:

How nice that things are back to a more normal view as the fashion police are back arguing for the past dress standards (if there were ever any).  Cruising is starting to come back for sure. 

I was thinking what I nice reprieve it was while the board fashion police were on sabbatical.

• Like 2