Dress code?

12 hours ago, satxdiver said:

How nice that things are back to a more normal view as the fashion police are back arguing for the past dress standards (if there were ever any).  Cruising is starting to come back for sure. 

So you don’t want I should ask whether we have to wear a formal mask to the MDR or if the basic blue disposable mask is ok...

There is a cruise line out there for every one. If you want to eat dinner surrounded by formally dressed folks, there are several wonderful lines for you. But RCI ain’t one of them. Meanwhile, song break:

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

YOU pack for your husband?  Oh my.

LOL - yes.  He picks out things he wants to take - but I have a checklist for packing, and I make sure these things actually get INTO our hanging bags or suitcase!!  I'm the organized one - and particularly on a cruise, it's not easy to find things like a belt, etc. - if he forgets them.  The worst case was when he forgot a piece needed for his CPAP machine (the part that attaches to the mask).  We ended up having to order the item and have it express shipped to our hotel (that was in New Orleans). That goes in a carry on - but I now have him double-check that every piece is there!  On a cruise - it'd be near impossible to get a missing piece like that!

• Like 2

I am with those that say wear what you are comfortable wearing.

For MDR and specialty restaurants, I wear khakis and a nice shirt and shoes (not sandals or flip flops).  By night shirt, I mean collared with some buttons.  So a polo shirt works for me.

On formal night, I MIGHT put on a tie and sports coat.  But I may just go with a dress shirt and tie. 

One cruise we got invited to dine with the Staff Captain.  I wished I had brought a suit.  But not enough to pack one for later cruises. 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, matt1 said:

Thank you. 👍 

However, I’m self conscious enough as it is cruising solo, and not having the nicest cruise clothes. I wear a lot of jeans (no holes or frayed) and crazily designed button down shirts. And I’m having a hard enough time even just going on this cruise with all the distractions in my every day life, and having lost friends and family this year. It’s enough to make me break down and cry.

This cruise was supposed to be an outlet to get away for a week and really relax without worrying what everyone else is thinking about me and my attire.

Just went to my Cruise Planner and cancelled all of my specialty dining literally out of fear that I’d be out of place. It breaks my heart . 

Don't be self conscious.  If you read these dress police threads, those the dress up have dwindled down to the most 20%.  That means that 80% will be casually dressed.

The ONLY opinion that matters is the person standing at the door to the dining venue.  If they say it is ok, be comfortable.  Nobody who is enjoying their family, friends, and food (that 80%) are going to even give a second glance to anyone who walks in the dining room.

Even with the 20% of those that love to dress formal, the majority don't care what others are wearing.

The 5% that rely on stranger's type of clothing for them to enjoy their dinner, that is their problem.  They are the gossips, the Gladys's (Bewitched reference) of this world and not to be taken seriously.  95% are able to enjoy their own experience without relying on perfect strangers.  I always wonder how you can enjoy your dinner and the people you are with if you are constantly scanning the dining room, tut-tutting and judging others.  I really can't imagine how your dinner can be ruined because the guy across the massive dining room is in shorts, especially after his legs are under the table.  

Only you can make your dinner experience enjoyable.  It is a choice.  If someone chooses to have their dinner ruined over some stranger's t-shirt, that is on them. Your dress sounds fine, especially for you.

FTR - We choose to dress Caribbean Formal. Khakis, polo shirts, bright sundresses. We are on vacation.  With my husband's job, we have to attend way too many charity events where we are dressed to the nines.  Dinner is on a cruise ship, not a 5* restaurant.  Looking clean and presentable, even in shorts or jeans, is fine as long as the person at the door says it is fine.  If we have fun at our table, you can show up in a bathrobe for all I care.  The person is way more important than the clothing they wear. My dinner certainly won't be ruined.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, moonltnite said:

LOL - yes.  He picks out things he wants to take - but I have a checklist for packing, and I make sure these things actually get INTO our hanging bags or suitcase!!  I'm the organized one - and particularly on a cruise, it's not easy to find things like a belt, etc. - if he forgets them.  The worst case was when he forgot a piece needed for his CPAP machine (the part that attaches to the mask).  We ended up having to order the item and have it express shipped to our hotel (that was in New Orleans). That goes in a carry on - but I now have him double-check that every piece is there!  On a cruise - it'd be near impossible to get a missing piece like that!

This is me exactly!!  I know what he likes/wants to wear, and I take care of getting it into the suitcase, just so something isn't missed accidentally.  I keep the lists.  lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RhondaC said:

This is me exactly!!  I know what he likes/wants to wear, and I take care of getting it into the suitcase, just so something isn't missed accidentally.  I keep the lists.  lol

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I maintain our own packing list and the packing.  If either of us forgets something, it's on that person and you can bet it's not forgotten the next time.

I can't imagine someone else packing for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cured said:

Don't be self conscious.  If you read these dress police threads, those the dress up have dwindled down to the most 20%.  That means that 80% will be casually dressed.

87% of statistics posted on 74.7% on Internet forums are entirely fabricated in the minds of their author and have 22% expectation of actually being within 14% of the actual, real statistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

87% of statistics posted on 74.7% on Internet forums are entirely fabricated in the minds of their author and have 22% expectation of actually being within 14% of the actual, real statistic.

Just going by what everyone else has said, that their observations are 5-20% in full regalia.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:03 PM, RoyalC said:

You can be comfortable in dressier clothes. Maybe you should go shopping with them and try some things on. Others will appreciate you dressing up, esp. at specialty restaurants where they dress up and pay good money for a good experience. 

We have cruised on Adventure, Mariner and Odyssey over the last few months and ate in several speciality restaurants every cruise. With a few exceptions, we didn’t see passengers who were dressed up at any speciality restaurants. 

• Thanks 1

Don’t cancel your specialty restaurants! I am on Odyssey now and there is a great mix of dress. In Chops this evening there was anywhere from shorts and tee shirts too slacks and button downs. In Isumi last night it was 90% shorts. Also, as far as tipping goes it is entirely up to you. You did pay a tip when you bought the package so I can’t see where one is expected. I have been on a lot of cruises and yes some do get dressed up on formal night but most don’t and to mislead this nice lady with opinions instead of reality is not kind. Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mariefisher said:

Don’t cancel your specialty restaurants! I am on Odyssey now and there is a great mix of dress. In Chops this evening there was anywhere from shorts and tee shirts too slacks and button downs. In Isumi last night it was 90% shorts. Also, as far as tipping goes it is entirely up to you. You did pay a tip when you bought the package so I can’t see where one is expected. I have been on a lot of cruises and yes some do get dressed up on formal night but most don’t and to mislead this nice lady with opinions instead of reality is not kind. Enjoy your cruise! 

THANK YOU for the post! You’re an inspiration. I’ve now decided that this weekend I’ll rebook my specialty dining for December, and will make sure to pick a nice pair of jeans to wear for dinner each night. 

😎

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cured said:

Just going by what everyone else has said, that their observations are 5-20% in full regalia.

People project their biases.  If they are anti-formal dress, they will say only 5-20% dress up.  If they like and continue to dress up for formal night they will tell you that the majority still do so.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:53 AM, cured said:

The ONLY opinion that matters is the person standing at the door to the dining venue.  If they say it is ok, be comfortable.  Nobody who is enjoying their family, friends, and food (that 80%) are going to even give a second glance to anyone who walks in the dining room.

Even with the 20% of those that love to dress formal, the majority don't care what others are wearing.

The 5% that rely on stranger's type of clothing for them to enjoy their dinner, that is their problem.  They are the gossips, the Gladys's (Bewitched reference) of this world and not to be taken seriously.  95% are able to enjoy their own experience without relying on perfect strangers.  I always wonder how you can enjoy your dinner and the people you are with if you are constantly scanning the dining room, tut-tutting and judging others.  I really can't imagine how your dinner can be ruined because the guy across the massive dining room is in shorts, especially after his legs are under the table.  

Only you can make your dinner experience enjoyable.  It is a choice.  If someone chooses to have their dinner ruined over some stranger's t-shirt, that is on them. Your dress sounds fine, especially for you.

FTR - We choose to dress Caribbean Formal. Khakis, polo shirts, bright sundresses. We are on vacation.  With my husband's job, we have to attend way too many charity events where we are dressed to the nines.  Dinner is on a cruise ship, not a 5* restaurant.  Looking clean and presentable, even in shorts or jeans, is fine as long as the person at the door says it is fine.  If we have fun at our table, you can show up in a bathrobe for all I care.  The person is way more important than the clothing they wear. My dinner certainly won't be ruined.

There's lots of statistics in this post.  See my previous post on the subject.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always enjoy 'dress code' threads, but would prefer they were retitled to something like...

How Scruffy Can I Dress Without Anyone Noticing (which is what they invariably mean).

Answer: Wear whatever you like on RCI, no one cares. There are no standards whatsoever.

DW wears a nice dress every night. I wear trousers and a shirt every night except formal night, where I wear a tux or a range of velvet jackets and ties, because we like to look nice for each other, and we are going on a cruise, not a campsite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/17/2021 at 4:09 PM, matt1 said:

I think the Dress Code Police on here forget that not everyone wants to dress sharp, or wants to dress to impress, or wants to drag a “Mrs. Thurston Howell III” steamer trunk full of “wardrobe for very occasion” to the ship in their car. And if you want to pack a minimalist saddlebag or teeny tiny carryon, and that’s it, that’s your choice. 

I think some of the Dress Code Police on here forget that there are people whose work-life is a suit and tie - every … single … day. Heck, I don’t even own a suit. And I’m not buying one just for this cruise to wear. I didn’t even wear a suit to my dad’s funeral this year, and he’d had wanted it exactly like that. 

And I think some of the Dress Code Police on here need to mind their own business when it comes to what other people are wearing. It’s none … of …your …business. Period.

I’m driving to the ship from north-central West Virginia, and bought a brand new 32” suitcase just for this occasion, and mainly because I don’t even own any suitcases. And I’ll pack what I please in that suitcase. If what I wear offends you, or anyone else, as long as what I’m wearing is not indecent, that’s just tough. 

😎

I wasn’t going to get into this because it’s a “no-win” topic. I just want to say to this North central West Virginia poster that your immaturity and your  “boldness”, disguised as bravado is funny!  I’ve been a Harley guy my whole life. I can “dress the part”. I don’t dress to impress anyone but my wife. She likes our picture taken every cruise (we are Diamond, so that’s a bunch). Remember the old adage…if you don’t have anything nice to say…you aren’t a tough guy. Where what you want and leave it at that. Safe travels!

• Haha 2

I have a feeling I will get a lot of "back lash"  in regard to what I'm saying, but this is ME talking in reference to dressing up for formal night, etc. I am over 70, and since I do not cruise all the time, I enjoy "dressing up" for formal nights, and get many compliments from "strangers", telling me their not used to people dressing up anymore, which is true. This is MY words, but I say this generation is a LAZY society, and it takes WORK to dress up nice, as anyone can throw on a top and bottom, but to really look nice, it takes work. I'm not saying to do this all the time, but for formal nights, in my book YES. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/18/2021 at 7:45 AM, SargassoPirate said:

YOU pack for your husband?  Oh my.

I have always packed for my husband. It's easier that way.

He still works (6 days a week). He pays, I pack. Works for us.

I have a list for each suitcase. I just make sure each shirt has all the buttons, no rips, etc. Socks with no holes. Who knows what he would come up with. Sometimes we are ready to go out the door and I take a look and ask "is that what you really want to wear?"

• Like 2

Nancy, that is nice that you do your husbands packing, as I'm sure he appreciates it as well. When it comes to packing for me, I always have a list that I mark off each item that I want to take, as I put it into my luggage.  Do I sometimes forget something, yes, but this list really helps in making my vacation much better. 🙂

• Like 1