Problem as a Canadian

I just tried to book the Indian Pacific in Nov 2022. It rejected as non-Australians can't book before June 2022. 

This is way beyond frustrating as the trip the week before is already sold out. I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago and this was not mentioned. I will try to call tomorrow.

I think that the problem is that Australia’s borders are still closed. So, Australian-based companies are not keen to offer deals to overseas travellers, who may or may not be allowed into the country.

However, there has been a lot of movement in the last couple of weeks, with the appearance that there will be movement on the border situation relatively soon.

It may be worth contacting the rail company directly to get on the list for when borders re-open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john2003 said:

I just tried to book the Indian Pacific in Nov 2022. It rejected as non-Australians can't book before June 2022. 

This is way beyond frustrating as the trip the week before is already sold out. I spoke to an agent a couple of weeks ago and this was not mentioned. I will try to call tomorrow.

Bear in mind that the Indian Pacific has not run for almost 2 years (it has been suspended till Feb 22 (only last week)). There are a lot of folk with credits that need to be used - hence the future bookings being high. We are due to go on The Ghan in 2 weeks - lets hope we can - we could be denied boarding depending on SA State rules. Also due to do The Great Southern in Dec - but are assuming that may not be possible. These trips were booked after 2020 cancellations.

Sad to hear of your issues, but our Gov is doing what it thinks is best and that means closed borders. The good news is that things are being relaxed in the New year for fully vaccinated  internationals so in time you will be able to come here.

Personally, I think you are much better off waiting for 2023.

• Like 3

I have no problem at all with your government controlling your borders. It is most unfortunate after all the sacrifices that the Delta managed to spread.

I am just surprised they wouldn't accept a booking for a year out when the indications are that you will have reopened. Of course, no guarantees these days.

WA is behind the rest of Australia in the vaccination "race". Latest indications from their Premier reported in the news, is that the borders will remain closed to interstate travellers until mid 2022. No mention of when Overseas visitors will be allowed into WA.😟  2023 is looking more promising.😉

On 10/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, john2003 said:

Immediate issue is resolved.  Will continue to monitor the situation. Hopefully WA will catch up!!

It's not a matter of WA "catching up". The hard border closure it has maintained has ensured that it has protected its vulnerable regional and remote indigenous communities. In having very few cases in the state it hasn't needed to vax as fast as other states that have large case numbers in the community. 

Given our interstate travel restrictions are ever changing by the day and week for local travellers within Aus - internationals will just have to wait their patience. There really is no point booking and paying for anything in advance - especially if it's non refundable - until there is formal govt announcements re borders relaxing for international tourists. 
Sit back and relax and keep stashing your money -as without a doubt all the prices are going to increase significantly. Better for your dollars to be earning interest in your bank account for the time being. You will get here - eventually !! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

It's not a matter of WA "catching up". The hard border closure it has maintained has ensured that it has protected its vulnerable regional and remote indigenous communities. In having very few cases in the state it hasn't needed to vax as fast as other states that have large case numbers in the community. 

Given our interstate travel restrictions are ever changing by the day and week for local travellers within Aus - internationals will just have to wait their patience. There really is no point booking and paying for anything in advance - especially if it's non refundable - until there is formal govt announcements re borders relaxing for international tourists. 
Sit back and relax and keep stashing your money -as without a doubt all the prices are going to increase significantly. Better for your dollars to be earning interest in your bank account for the time being. You will get here - eventually !! 

Just curious which bank account earns interest these days?

I would dearly love to see my family over East early next year rather than later. I'm thinking at our slow rate of vaccination I will need my booster before quite a few get their first shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read that. I often read about how businesses make all this money in interest on money they hold & wonder where they bank 🙂 

Unless someone has a lot of money, these days the interest would be negligible, and people with a lot of money invest in things other than a bank account.

• Like 3

On 10/25/2021 at 7:32 AM, By The Bay said:

Latest indications from their Premier reported in the news, is that the borders will remain closed to interstate travellers until mid 2022.

The report I saw said that he didn't want to open up over Christmas as then they would have to slap on covid restrictions during everybody's Christmas holidays.

He said that they were going to watch what happened in SA and Qld when they open before Christmas and if they don't get swamped by covid, then he will open.

11 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

He said that they were going to watch what happened in SA and Qld when they open before Christmas and if they don't get swamped by covid, then he will open.

And if there is an outbreak, WA's borders will slam shut. I would hate to be caught on wrong side of a quick border closure.😡

A propos interest, I would think that for those that can, putting any surplus money into an industry super fund would be an excellent idea. Average returns over 10 years have been 9.1% per annum. And if you are over the prescribed age and retired, as many of us are, you can pull it out as you want it.

No, I have no connection with the world of financial advising, but I do know that 9% is greater than 0.15%!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I would dearly love to see my family over East early next year rather than later. I'm thinking at our slow rate of vaccination I will need my booster before quite a few get their first shot.

Lol in Aus probably none ! I think I made 23 cents last quarter - I will frame it !

So a few hundred bucks in your account set aside for an east coast flight isn't going to be earning much anyway. Whereas someone setting aside several thousand while awaiting a trip to Aus, could add a few dollars to their account. Either way it's better in their account than in the airline or hotels bank accounts ! 

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I wish I could book cruises using the Aus governments approach to climate policy.

I don't have the money but will rely on future technical advancements to meet my commitments.

What climate policy?😄🙄

Or do you mean plan, you know, the Clayton Plan, the plan you have when you don't have a plan.🙃

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:21 AM, vada_9 said:

Bear in mind that the Indian Pacific has not run for almost 2 years

This is absolutely not true, I know someone that works on the Indian Pacific. Yes, there have been suspensions, but it hasn't been one pandemic-long stretch.

• Like 1