Disgruntled Sky Passengers

wowzz

On 10/30/2021 at 7:59 AM, Grego said:

Another thread that I happily ignore even though we are on the Sky for the New Year's cruise. 

Your ignoring is not working, as you seem to have replied to the thread.

Personally, I like objective opinions, good or bad.

The pollyannas I find rather tiresome.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

we are dining in club class so I was expecting the dining experience to be better than the normal MDR but so far it has been equal at best and most times below IMO. The only benefit of CC so far is one extra entre and less crowding... not worth the significant extra fare.

We don't, and won't eat in the buffet so we have had to eat either in the room or in the speciality restaurants when we didn't eat in the MDR.

Same here & I also think Club Class isn't worth it for me. 

Edited by Ombud

51 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Could it be food shortages now and more to come?? I think it will get worse before you see any improvement due to the supply chain issues.

I would suspect possibly that being a major contributor.....most top restaurants and chefs last week on tv here are reporting problems just getting the beef, fish, poultry and vegetables for some of their most popular menu items.  It is turning into a daily struggle for them.

Edited by PrincessLuver

keep in mind that there gas been substantial food price inflation. So it may be more an issue of what can they get within the food budget allocated. Prior to Covid the mass market lines only spent about 12 -14 dollars per passenger per day on food

48 minutes ago, nocl said:

keep in mind that there gas been substantial food price inflation. So it may be more an issue of what can they get within the food budget allocated. Prior to Covid the mass market lines only spent about 12 -14 dollars per passenger per day on food

Does that include the food in the MDR?

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Does that include the food in the MDR?

That was based upon taking total reported food spend in the 10q filings for a given quarter and dividing by the number of passengers carried.  So that probably includes both passenger and crew food.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:29 PM, jimbo1683 said:

Come on. You've been looking forward to a cruise for ages. Don't look for the negatives. Of course there are going to be teething problems. Posting a bad review here isn't going to change anything on your cruise. Look for the positives and enjoy yourself, live in the moment and don't waste your precious memory-making time onboard in cruise critic!

I believe the message here from a person was different you absorbed.  It is true, one shall focus on positives in our life.  This message is in regard of the fact the vacation is a point of being away from stress, worry free and have the best experience possible when paying big money for it.  Perhaps, the word "possible" is a key; however, unfortunately, I assume that what is "possible" now due to the situation might become a "new norm" as many propose to stick with.  The new norm shall be for something better to prosper in the future, not for the opposite.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:32 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Could be part of it but that doesn't explain the poor service or badly prepared food... one person had almost raw chicken (!), we had big pieces of hard shell in out fish soup (sharp and dangerous if swallowed).

Wait, you shared a single bowl of soup for two, or are you saying the shells were in both soups? So many people inaccurately speak in plural on this site (i.e. we called the pursers office) that I can't tell some times. 

Edited by vjmatty

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Wait, you shared a single bowl of soup for two, or are you saying the shells were in both soups? So many people inaccurately speak in plural on this site (i.e. we called the pursers office) that I can't tell some times. 

We both had the soup.  We both had many bits of shell.  We stopped eating as soon as we found the first bits but then fished out (sorry for the pun) all the shell we could find.  There was quite a bit!!!

On 10/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

On the Grand.  Food has been exceptional.  Specialty restaurants have been wonderful.  I am not a foodie, but the staff has made up for any real short comings..if any.  Enjoying myself very much.  It is so great to be sailing again.

I second that. I posted the Grand menus on my Live review if anyone wants to compare. Food was great on the Grand. Zero complaints. 

• Like 2

Who are the "head" staff on Sky currently? 
I'm curious who are the head of Hotel, Food & Bev, executive Chef,  Maitre'd (or whatever the new terms are).    Sometimes certain teams are just better than others. 

Edited by CruisinFinsUp

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

I second that. I posted the Grand menus on my Live review if anyone wants to compare. Food was great on the Grand. Zero complaints. 

Third vote for the excellent quality of food on the grand. I always tell my server some basics about my tastes and preferences………..fish or chicken, lots of vegetables and the occasional red meat if it’s coming out nicely.  I like some spice and not too much salt. My server has always been able to suggest great aps, sides and mains. On the Grand my waiter Valentin would make me plates of what he knew I liked from all the bits and bobs of menu items. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

On the Grand my waiter Valentin would make me plates of what he knew I liked from all the bits and bobs of menu items. 

Of course, at present it is almost impossible to have the same waiter or table every night.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:29 PM, jimbo1683 said:

Come on. You've been looking forward to a cruise for ages. Don't look for the negatives. Of course there are going to be teething problems. Posting a bad review here isn't going to change anything on your cruise. Look for the positives and enjoy yourself, live in the moment and don't waste your precious memory-making time onboard in cruise critic!

In my opinion that is not the best advice, Princess advertises it’s product to us and our hard earned money goes in their pockets, complaining about subpar experience is the only way to hold them accountable. I enjoy every cruise but I don’t ignore mediocre service.

• Like 1

Just now, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@wowzzI know!  I feel so incredibly fortunate that Yalchin was able to accommodate my request to have Valentin and Slobodan every night. I do not expect such magic will repeat on my upcoming 15 days on the Ruby. But if it does I will be just as pleasantly surprised and delighted. 

We met a couple on Sky last night, who had pre-booked the same time in the same MDR for the entire cruise. They got totally different tables every night!

44 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We met a couple on Sky last night, who had pre-booked the same time in the same MDR for the entire cruise. They got totally different tables every night!

Why?  We're pre-booked for a 2-topper every night.  I fully expect the same table and crew every night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Why?  We're pre-booked for a 2-topper every night.  I fully expect the same table and crew every night.

Because you have just reserved a time and a table size, not a location. 

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Because you have just reserved a time and a table size, not a location. 

Yes we are booked for a private table every night at 6:00 in Estrella.  That leaves location and crew.  If those are not the same every night it will be the first cruise for us that has ever happened.

Edited by cltnccruisers

5 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Yes we are booked for a private table every night at 6:00 in Estrella.  That leaves location and crew.  If those are not the same every night it will be the first cruise for us that has ever happened.

But have you cruised since the medallion and Dine My Way has been introduced?  Everything has changed, and specific tables are no longer reserved for individual bookings. Yes, you will get a two top, but that is your only guarantee.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

But have you cruised since the medallion and Dine My Way has been introduced?  Everything has changed, and specific tables are no longer reserved for individual bookings. Yes, you will get a two top, but that is your only guarantee.

First time back on Princess in years so first time with medallion and DMW.  Seems to me that switching table and crew every night could be a little confusing.  We shall see.

26 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

First time back on Princess in years so first time with medallion and DMW.  Seems to me that switching table and crew every night could be a little confusing.  We shall see.

Because you are dining so very early you may be OK. Obviously at busy times tables are given out on a first come basis.

40 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Why is it confusing? Is it not just the same as going to a restaurant on land and being shown to a table?