Low Carb Beer Available?

dianajo67

Hubby and I have been keto/low carb for a couple years now.  Wondering if there are any low carb beers available?  We’re doing Explorer, Harmony, Mariner and Serenade in the next few months.  Don’t want to gain back everything we’ve lost but want to have options other than just the hard stuff with Diet Coke while onboard.  Accepting suggestions as well from folks who’ve successfully done this low carb thing on a cruise!  Thanks in advance!

Edited by dianajo67

Yes,.. but why your on vacation.. 🙂 Flavor over Calories!!

I am an avid beer drinker. RCL has a very limited selection of beers. Think your typical local big chain restaurant beer list.

Best bet maybe would be the ENGLISH STYLE PUB's on board some of the ships, as they have the larger selection of beers on board.

Some do have gluten free beer i.e Estrella Damm

Low Carb-  Michelob Ultra, Amstel Light, Coors Light, Heineken light

Here is a menu from one of the "PUB" style bars.

image.png.9d763d425acc02be6c58cf236e64d9a6.png

• Like 1

Typical light beers with 110 calories only has 7 grams of carbs.   Very light  beers under 95 calories only have about 3 grams.

Modeleo Especial only has around 4 grams.

Gluten Free beers have a lot of carbs just like regular beer.

Heineken NA has 15 grams,

• Like 2

Haven't been on a cruise since the week before the COVID shutdown, but Michelob Ultra is the only low carb beer they have had.  They had the 16 oz aluminum bottles, and they are super cold, which helps make up for the lack of taste, although it's more than the 2.3 carbs you get in the 12 oz bottles.

That said, my low carb lifestyle tends to go out the window on cruises and I am going for the good stuff from the menu posted above. 

• Like 2

Back when I was on Keto I had to watch this as well. If you're really trying to stay in ketosis its not worth it. Stick with the diet coke/liquor mixes... back in the day I used to do tequila, club soda, and lime to make an "unsweetened margarita" (of sorts...). As is alcohol is terrible for ketosis so I guess its just pick your poison.

• Like 1

Just now, marktwothousand said:

Oh my Lan😱 keto on a cruise ship, what a nightmare at dinner and all the rest of it. 

I think a cruise is the easiest vacation to follow keto!  There are so many choices!  You just have to have good willpower.... 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dianajo67 said:

Hubby and I have been keto/low carb for a couple years now.  Wondering if there are any low carb beers available?  We’re doing Explorer, Harmony, Mariner and Serenade in the next few months.  Don’t want to gain back everything we’ve lost but want to have options other than just the hard stuff with Diet Coke while onboard.  Accepting suggestions as well from folks who’ve successfully done this low carb thing on a cruise!  Thanks in advance!

Do a search on "low carb beers with keto", you'll find Michelob Ultra, Miller Extra Light, Bud Select.  Ship typically has Mich Ultra.  Coors Light shouldn't have many carbs, tap water doesn't.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Do a search on "low carb beers with keto", you'll find Michelob Ultra, Miller Extra Light, Bud Select.  Ship typically has Mich Ultra.  Coors Light shouldn't have many carbs, tap water doesn't.

Believe it or not  Light beers are 80-95% carbs.  But those carbs are only 2-4 grams.  Indeed almost tap water.

Thanks to all.  Those of you that think a low carb beer is equivalent to water should try Slightly Mighty from Dogfish Head.  It’s a low carb IPA and is really good.  If Michelob Ultra is all they have, I’ll likely stick to my Jack and Cokes.  Hubby is a lightweight and is fine with the water stuff.  I’ll tolerate Corona premier, but have to be deprived for a while to enjoy!  We have the DBP.  I may be able to figure out some sugar free mixers for margaritas etc and just order shots.  Keto is pretty great actually.  I gained back a bit over the summer because I have a pizza oven and am seriously hoping not to do more damage!  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mil76 said:

Haven't been on a cruise since the week before the COVID shutdown, but Michelob Ultra is the only low carb beer they have had.  They had the 16 oz aluminum bottles, and they are super cold, which helps make up for the lack of taste, although it's more than the 2.3 carbs you get in the 12 oz bottles.

That said, my low carb lifestyle tends to go out the window on cruises and I am going for the good stuff from the menu posted above. 

Just an FYI, RCI is now selling beer in 12 ounce cans/bottles. Definitely a financially driven move, but not an issue if you have the deluxe drink package. 

19 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Oh my Lan😱 keto on a cruise ship, what a nightmare at dinner and all the rest of it. 

Keto on a cruise ship is so easy. So much meat, cheese, and veg everywhere. Typical meals looked something like:

Breakfast: Eggs or an omelette w/ bacon (avoid the sausage, its loaded with sugars)

Lunch: bunless burgers on a salad or simple cold cuts with a salad.

Dinner: Beef or fish + steamed/grilled veggies. I'd generally ask them to put a small pat of butter on the top of a steak to finish it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rbschultz said:

Keto on a cruise ship is so easy. So much meat, cheese, and veg everywhere. Typical meals looked something like:

Breakfast: Eggs or an omelette w/ bacon (avoid the sausage, its loaded with sugars)

Lunch: bunless burgers on a salad or simple cold cuts with a salad.

Dinner: Beef or fish + steamed/grilled veggies. I'd generally ask them to put a small pat of butter on the top of a steak to finish it. 

OMG @rbschultz I remember you from somewhere. Was it the Encore or the Bliss possibly?

I have stayed low carb on a 7 night cruise, but I didn't go into the MDR at all.  I ate dinner in the WJ every night.  It was much easier get things that worked for me.   It also helped that I was cruising solo.  I drank Jameson and Sprite Zero, martinis, sipped bourbon on the rocks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bethco said:

I have stayed low carb on a 7 night cruise, but I didn't go into the MDR at all.  I ate dinner in the WJ every night.  It was much easier get things that worked for me.   It also helped that I was cruising solo.  I drank Jameson and Sprite Zero, martinis, sipped bourbon on the rocks.

I’ve reviewed all the mdr menus and preselected my choices.   Will ask for steamed veggies as side…shrimp cocktail standard!  We are doing chops quite a bit too. We’re on a b2b.   I’m also planning to bring a few sealed bags of the low carb/high fiber tortillas.  I love bread. It’s nice to be able to get meat from the carving station in windjammer and make a low carb sandwich with those godsend wraps!  Frankly anything I can get into a wrap and put cheese on is good! Hubby has lost 50 lbs and I lost 26 lbs since cutting out bread, rice and potatoes. Maintained for most part over the last 18 months. Glad to hear it can be done without too much misery!

Luckily I have zero sweet tooth.  Hubby on the other hand is going to struggle with dessert options.

Edited by dianajo67
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

I’ve reviewed all the mdr menus and preselected my choices.   Will ask for steamed veggies as side…shrimp cocktail standard!  We are doing chops quite a bit too. We’re on a b2b.   I’m also planning to bring a few sealed bags of the low carb/high fiber tortillas.  I love bread. It’s nice to be able to get meat from the carving station in windjammer and make a low carb sandwich with those godsend wraps!  Frankly anything I can get into a wrap and put cheese on is good! Hubby has lost 50 lbs and I lost 26 lbs since cutting out bread, rice and potatoes. Maintained for most part over the last 18 months. Glad to hear it can be done without too much misery!

Luckily I have zero sweet tooth.  Hubby on the other hand is going to struggle with dessert options.

The have a pretty good selection of no-sugar desserts (I'm guessing for diabetics) and this has served my husband well as he is much more disciplined than me on a cruise when trying to respect the low-carb commitment 🙂