Leftover Wine

BarbandDaleT

We have been sailing NCL, but decided to try Princess for the first time.  We don’t drink a lot, so the tips alone on a beverage package would be way more than we would drink.  However, we often will buy a bottle of wine and drink half and save the rest for another dinner.  NCL would seal it, store it, and bring it back to our table for the second dinner.  Does Princess do this?  If not, what do we do?

10 minutes ago, Cuedon said:

Didn't somebody the other day say that they stopped holding onto your bottle due to COVID reasons?

I’m not aware of that & I just got off the Ruby. If nothing else you could take it back to your stateroom & bring it back. 

Tom😀

2 hours ago, BarbandDaleT said:

We have been sailing NCL, but decided to try Princess for the first time.  We don’t drink a lot, so the tips alone on a beverage package would be way more than we would drink.  However, we often will buy a bottle of wine and drink half and save the rest for another dinner.  NCL would seal it, store it, and bring it back to our table for the second dinner.  Does Princess do this?  If not, what do we do?

I was searching this thread for a wise crack - What leftover wine?

Anyway, NP letting them keep it and just ask for it next time you dine.  I prefer to take it back to the cabin as I just might want to have a wee glass the next afternoon before dinner and might not want to open another fresh bottle as yet.  (I usually bring wine on board for the voyage).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Two weeks ago on Majestic they held all of our bottles of wine we brought onboard to drink on another day. 🍷

We are currently on the Majestic.  They have kept our "leftover" wine in both the MDR and in Vines.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BarbandDaleT said:

We don’t drink a lot, so the tips alone on a beverage package would be way more than we would drink. 

What do you mean by this? The 'Beverage Package' is now Plus fare, $40 pp pd and includes the gratuity on a drink, also the cabin steward gratuity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tedferg said:

What do you mean by this? The 'Beverage Package' is now Plus fare, $40 pp pd and includes the gratuity on a drink, also the cabin steward gratuity.

The Princess Plus isn't always $40 per day. Here's an example where it's over $100 per day (CB, 12/5/21, solo inside cabin). 

temp.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The Princess Plus isn't always $40 per day. Here's an example where it's over $100 per day (CB, 12/5/21, solo inside cabin). 

temp.jpg

I had the same experience, although I can't find my screen shot of it.  The solo price for my cabin was $1280.  The Princess Plus price was $2348, thus making the cost $1068 extra, while the double occupancy rates were exactly $400 more per person.  I kept telling  the  Cruise Vacation Planner that I don't want to pay for two drink packages, two wifi charges and two gratuities (and more) but she didn't understand the inequity of it.  Whatever you pay for your cabin, the add-on of the Princess Plus should be the same per person.

3 hours ago, croozer said:

I had the same experience, although I can't find my screen shot of it.  The solo price for my cabin was $1280.  The Princess Plus price was $2348, thus making the cost $1068 extra, while the double occupancy rates were exactly $400 more per person.  I kept telling  the  Cruise Vacation Planner that I don't want to pay for two drink packages, two wifi charges and two gratuities (and more) but she didn't understand the inequity of it.  Whatever you pay for your cabin, the add-on of the Princess Plus should be the same per person.

Have you passed this on to Princess management?

Those in authority may not realize this is happening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Have you passed this on to Princess management?

Those in authority may not realize this is happening.

That's a very good suggestion, and one I've tried by communicating with different cruise lines (also under the aegis of Carnival Inc) with negative results.  I think the only thing that would make them listen and change would  be a class-action suit that shows redlining and financial discrimination against solo travelers.  The deal on my cabin was good because it was less than paying double occupancy.  The Princess Vacation planner laid out how it was still only $400 if I didn't use the "Drop and Go" or "Saver" rate or other discount, but the whole cost was even higher.  I still think the add-on should be an add-on to my best rate, as it was when I when on Holland America last month (but I declined the package because it didn't include gratuities and I already had so much onboard credit.) I sincerely thank you for your interest and support, caribill.

12 hours ago, geoherb said:

temp.jpg

Agree that Plus is not always $40 - seems like an anomaly at times when Saver fare is discounted. However my initial question is still valid regarding the 'Tips on Beverage Package is more than we would drink' comment. 

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agree that Plus is not always $40 - seems like an anomaly at times when Saver fare is discounted. However my initial question is still valid regarding the 'Tips on Beverage Package is more than we would drink' comment. 

Beverage package portion = $ 25 pp per day including the 18% "tip" , which equates to about $ 3.81 in "tips" per person per day

j/s

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Beverage package portion = $ 25 pp per day including the 18% "tip" , which equates to about $ 3.81 in "tips" per person per day

j/s

Apologies for belaboring this, my point was, as you stated, 18% beverage tips are included in Plus fare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, croozer said:

That's a very good suggestion, and one I've tried by communicating with different cruise lines (also under the aegis of Carnival Inc) with negative results.  I think the only thing that would make them listen and change would  be a class-action suit that shows redlining and financial discrimination against solo travelers.  The deal on my cabin was good because it was less than paying double occupancy.  The Princess Vacation planner laid out how it was still only $400 if I didn't use the "Drop and Go" or "Saver" rate or other discount, but the whole cost was even higher.  I still think the add-on should be an add-on to my best rate, as it was when I when on Holland America last month (but I declined the package because it didn't include gratuities and I already had so much onboard credit.) I sincerely thank you for your interest and support, caribill.

Right.  You cannot judge Princess pricing policy based on special Drop 'n' Go or other circumstances where they drop a Saver fare in order to make more sales.  I have done more than one test on "regular" bookings and the single fare situation was not double-charged for PLUS or for Port Taxes.  This makes sense to me.  If it wasn't working that way, I would contact Princess and get it escalated as I would presume some sort of pricing quirk.  I have seen more than one pricing issue over the years on Princess.com.  They usually get fixed once they know about it.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Right.  You cannot judge Princess pricing policy based on special Drop 'n' Go or other circumstances where they drop a Saver fare in order to make more sales.  I have done more than one test on "regular" bookings and the single fare situation was not double-charged for PLUS or for Port Taxes.  This makes sense to me.  If it wasn't working that way, I would contact Princess and get it escalated as I would presume some sort of pricing quirk.  I have seen more than one pricing issue over the years on Princess.com.  They usually get fixed once they know about it.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Steelers36, I still am having a hard time understanding their logic.  This is my sailing, although this is not my exact booking because they're sold out of Balcony, so I priced it just today with an Outside Cabin.  But here are screen shots of the exact same pricing, whatever "special" they want to call it.  The double occupancy is charging $400 per person for Princess Plus but the Solo is considerably more.  They cannot charge double for Port Charges; there was a huge legal case a few years ago and Port Charges are now charged per person, not per cabin.  What am I missing here?

Grand Princess Double.png

Grand Princess Single.png

Edited by croozer
file change

17 minutes ago, croozer said:

Grand Princess Double.png

Grand Princess Single.png

You probably need to ask Princess to explain their logic.

If you look at the PLUS price it is $1,299/pp.  That would indicate a normal Saver price of $899/pp.

Now, for a Single, double the $1,299/pp = $2,598/sgl.  And then subtract out the extra $400 which you do not pay and you get $2,198/sgl.  Which is what they show.  All good IMO.

On the Saver front, notice it is $849/pp and not the expected $899, so they dropped it $50 for double occupancy. 

For a single, I guess I would expect $849 x 2 or $1,698/pp.  Clearly, they seem to be charging much less than 100% for single supplement.  It's only a 25% bump.

So, I can interpret what they are doing, but I cannot explain why they want full boat price if electing PLUS, but are willing to give a single a huge break on up-charge for the Saver.

I'd just take that great Saver fare for a single and worry about my Grats/Internet/Drinking otherwise.  If you do inquire of them, you might point out that a guest would have to be a total math dunce to book the PLUS as a single.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

You probably need to ask Princess to explain their logic.

If you look at the PLUS price it is $1,299/pp.  That would indicate a normal Saver price of $899/pp.

Now, for a Single, double the $1,299/pp = $2,598/sgl.  And then subtract out the extra $400 which you do not pay and you get $2,198/sgl.  Which is what they show.  All good IMO.

On the Saver front, notice it is $849/pp and not the expected $899, so they dropped it $50 for double occupancy. 

For a single, I guess I would expect $849 x 2 or $1,698/pp.  Clearly, they seem to be charging much less than 100% for single supplement.  It's only a 25% bump.

So, I can interpret what they are doing, but I cannot explain why they want full boat price if electing PLUS, but are willing to give a single a huge break on up-charge for the Saver.

I'd just take that great Saver fare for a single and worry about my Grats/Internet/Drinking otherwise.  If you do inquire of them, you might point out that a guest would have to be a total math dunce to book the PLUS as a single.

Yes, I agree, which is why I'll be happy to buy my drinks and pay my own tips. (Not to mention I have shareholder credit and travel agent credit to spend). But they've decided to give solo travelers a break and only charge a 25% supplement, perhaps because bookings were slow, perhaps because they wanted to keep the population down for CDC requirements as we get back to sailing.  I have seen other lines totally waive the supplement at rare times.  But I can't condone them then saying "Oh, but we're going to take away one of the perks that everyone else can get by bringing your total up to what you would have paid if we hadn't given you the break to begin with."  I understand HOW they got to this figure, I just think it's wrong to mislead people.  Anyway, thanks for engaging in this and I apologize for hijacking this lovely wine thread.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, Steelers36 said:

I was searching this thread for a wise crack - What leftover wine?

That would be us - or at least me. On my own there is no "left over wine". When with my wife that is an even crazier thought. One bottle of wine with dinner and two people drinking it?  Leftover wine... That's funny right there... 🤪

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That would be us - or at least me. On my own there is no "left over wine". When with my wife that is an even crazier thought. One bottle of wine with dinner and two people drinking it?  Leftover wine... That's funny right there... 🤪

That was my thought as well. Our dinner conversation goes along the lines of:

"I think I'll have the Merlot.  What bottle do you want ?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, croozer said:

Yes, I agree, which is why I'll be happy to buy my drinks and pay my own tips. (Not to mention I have shareholder credit and travel agent credit to spend). But they've decided to give solo travelers a break and only charge a 25% supplement, perhaps because bookings were slow, perhaps because they wanted to keep the population down for CDC requirements as we get back to sailing.  I have seen other lines totally waive the supplement at rare times.  But I can't condone them then saying "Oh, but we're going to take away one of the perks that everyone else can get by bringing your total up to what you would have paid if we hadn't given you the break to begin with."  I understand HOW they got to this figure, I just think it's wrong to mislead people.  Anyway, thanks for engaging in this and I apologize for hijacking this lovely wine thread.

Right.  Well call them up and call them out on it.  Ask for Customer Relations.  I agree, it is poor on them to do something that outrageous.  Perhaps a little extra per day if they want, but the example you provided is nuts.

• Like 1