Viking ranked #1 luxury in US News and World Report

OceanPatter

Perhaps no one here cares. This was actually mentioned on the Crystal board, and anyone who tried to defend Viking there didn’t get very far. (The debate always deteriorates into whether Viking is considered luxury … jeez.)

So for those of you who have sailed both lines, perhaps you can go over to Crystal and weigh in (or not). On one hand, it’s good to know that Viking cruisers are confident in their choice, and are indifferent to rankings.

P.S. Hello Jim Avery! Glad to see that you and a few others are still the mainstay of this board.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OceanPatter said:

Perhaps no one here cares. This was actually mentioned on the Crystal board, and anyone who tried to defend Viking there didn’t get very far. (The debate always deteriorates into whether Viking is considered luxury … jeez.)

So for those of you who have sailed both lines, perhaps you can go over to Crystal and weigh in (or not). On one hand, it’s good to know that Viking cruisers are confident in their choice, and are indifferent to rankings.

P.S. Hello Jim Avery! Glad to see that you and a few others are still the mainstay of this board.

Just saw your post!!!! I totally agree. I have been on two cruises on Viking since July, and booked an Alaska cruise for 2023.

Hope you and your husband are doing well. 

Cheers! 

Patti

3 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Having sailed extensively on British "Luxury" steam liners back in the 1970's, I get a chuckle from the posters on the CC "Luxury Cruising" Forum that routinely denigrate Viking as not being a luxury cruise line. Some of their issues are that Viking don't have Butlers, Caviar or unlimited drinks.

Based on my experiences,  I truly believe that the definition of "Luxury" is in the eye of the beholder. We all have a different definition of luxury, based on our experience and expectations. Having experienced true professional waiters and "Silver Service" back in the 70's, my expectation of a "Luxury" cruise line, would be at a minimum "Silver Service" dining, with waiters delivering and removing plates from the correct side. Flambe and pasta dishes should also be finished at the table.

In addition to quality service and food preparation, luxury, in our opinion also includes a standard of dress, with formal attire required every night. Surely, if the crew are providing a "Luxury" service, it beehoves the passengers to be attired appropriately. Personally, if the vendor is providing a "Luxury" service, I don't consider smart casual, country club, etc. attire as being appropriate.

Before selecting Viking, we researched all of the Luxury/Premium Lines, selecting Viking. None of the designated "Luxury" lines, met the luxury cruising I experienced in the 1970. I also note, I only caught the end of the liner service, as the 1960's and earlier were vastly superior. Therefore, I have given up even reading posts on the "Luxury Cruising" and will certainly not post.

We have only completed 1 Viking Cruise, but it was 4-months and we were extremely impressed. Was it luxury, commensurate with my experiences in the 1970's - No, not even close. Compared to the current mega ships, was it luxury - most definitely yes. Personally, we don't require a "Butler", as if you want a proper "Butler", they should have a separate Butler assigned to each cabin. If they are servicing more than 1 cabin, they are only a cabin steward with a fancy title.

BTW - if posting on the Crystal Board - may want to ask how long it took to receive refunds for COVID cancelled cruises. That's assuming they have finally processed all the refunds, since the parent company is still experiencing financial difficulties.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

On one hand, it’s good to know that Viking cruisers are confident in their choice, and are indifferent to rankings.

It's fun seeing Viking at the top of the pile for so many things, but for me, polls like this are fairy tales. It is just meaningless marketing hype.

As for what the folks who prefer other cruise lines think about a cruise line that I happen to like, well, there is a reason the Baskin&Robbins has flavors. I'm happy with my choice and equally as happy that they are happy with theirs. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Hi OP.  Good to hear from y'all, hope we can sail together again soon.  Get this covid stuff out of the way.  🍸

20 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Luxury to me is attention to individual detail where waiters/bartenders remember YOUR needs and get them to before you even ask.

There just isn't the staff on the lower lines to do that.

I agree.  In two Viking world cruises the waiters and bartenders were our new best friends.  Always remembering names, cabin number, fave drinks.  We never got that on Princess.🍸

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That's why we now enjoy Viking.

3 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Any definition of "luxury" which has formal attire every night, or any night, is not of interest to me.

Agreed. Having tried a a few cruises on a luxury line and felt uncomfortable with the aura of entitlement, we find ourselves trying the Viking, the non-luxury, luxury line.

• Like 6

Exactly what defines luxury? Is it pricing, capacity, service, excursions, inclusiveness? I have only sailed Oceania, Viking and Azamara and all were fine by me. I would not be happy on a QE2 sail or dressing up. There must be some parameters  on how they classify luxury.

Edited by TERRIER1

I must say the Crystal and Regent forum are  having a hard time believing that Viking  rank number one. Their loyalty to their  ships and cruise line goes back decades for many. 

Many totally misunderstand the design and decor of a Viking Ship.  Scandinavian decor is not stark as one wiife said. It is all about form and function and the aesthetic of using nature , comfort and always the view of sky or sea , not more marble and crystal chandeliers and velvet.  

They are hanging on to their "luxury" label for all its is worth , even if they  book a Oceanview stateroom . They wax about the crew that are like family. I always read that as an  Upstair , Downstairs  beacon to  the class system  in ole Europe/ England.

None of them  mentioned the good liverposti or Success cake and waffles in Mamsen, or the resident t historian ,and guest lecturers , curated books  etc. 

Viking origins are rooted in their  river cruises and brought to the ocean  with additional space ,food venues and still the "thinking person " cruise .

I wish those other lines  good fortune that they can remain afloat  after the COVID period for their followers. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

I must say the Crystal and Regent forum are  having a hard time believing that Viking  rank number one. Their loyalty to their  ships and cruise line goes back decades for many. 

Many totally misunderstand the design and decor of a Viking Ship.  Scandinavian decor is not stark as one wiife said. It is all about form and function and the aesthetic of using nature , comfort and always the view of sky or sea , not more marble and crystal chandeliers and velvet.  

They are hanging on to their "luxury" label for all its is worth , even if they  book a Oceanview stateroom . They wax about the crew that are like family. I always read that as an  Upstair , Downstairs  beacon to  the class system  in ole Europe/ England.

None of them  mentioned the good liverposti or Success cake and waffles in Mamsen, or the resident t historian ,and guest lecturers , curated books  etc. 

Viking origins are rooted in their  river cruises and brought to the ocean  with additional space ,food venues and still the "thinking person " cruise .

I wish those other lines  good fortune that they can remain afloat  after the COVID period for their followers. 

I was surprised to read your comment on the Regent board. I actually thought many of the

comments were positive on Viking and not defensive. Many had done both Regent and Viking and I felt gave balanced reviews. Some who prefer Regent had a Viking cruise booked. Many were considering a Viking cruise. For us cruising alone is a luxury and we tend to book what we know is a good fit. That being said I think Viking owns Norway and I would be crazy not to try Viking to see that part of the world. Seabourn, Regent and Viking have been dancing around each other in the rankings for the last few years and all have a good, much loved product. I did not see the percentage points different but my guess is minimal. As for financials there is no worry. Regent sold their WC out in an hour. We have been waitlisted for a Seabourn cruise for months. It is nice to have wonderful choices.

You have some great, interesting and respected posters that I follow such as Heidi and Jim Avery. I would love them to check our Regent and give us the positives and negatives.

• Like 1

In the North of England (particularly in Yorkshire and Lancashire) we have an expression that someone or something is "all fur coat and no knickers". It's quite likely that this has no US equivalent or translation but this summed up our impression of Crystal on the one cruise we've been on. Cunard similarly lives on its past glory, with an anachronistic hierarchy.  Viking is a much more consistent offering with excellent service and good value, regardless of whether or not it is labelled "luxury".

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Janet&David said:

In the North of England (particularly in Yorkshire and Lancashire) we have an expression that someone or something is "all fur coat and no knickers". It's quite likely that this has no US equivalent or translation but this summed up our impression of Crystal on the one cruise we've been on. Cunard similarly lives on its past glory, with an anachronistic hierarchy.  Viking is a much more consistent offering with excellent service and good value, regardless of whether or not it is labelled "luxury".

Or ''Aall bag an ne shoppin''

• Like 2

Somehow folks who do not like Viking have very strong anti-Viking feelings. My brother only uses Crystal and our long time fellow traveling friends will only sail Silversea and Uniworld (River). Neither have ever set foot aboard a Viking ship. My take is that the 24/7 included booze is what makes them not pick Viking. No mention of the Silver Spirits Viking option dissuades them.

• Like 1

For us Crystal not at all a fit. For us it was a one and done. Their financials are such my TA will not book them. I think one reason people get stuck on their favorite line is that it financially feels risky to try something new. I struggle with this too, especially after our Crystal experience.
I know I do not want to be around kids (except the grands on a mainstream cruise). I love the interaction with crew and passengers. I want happy crew.  I want a larger state room and good food and wine. I want interesting, non pretentious people. I like to explore on my own or in small groups doing interesting excursions. I want resort casual dress. I really like not having a balance when I leave the ship and be and business air for international flights. Regent meets our criteria, Seabourn does not,  but we go on both. I have both Regent and Seabourn booked the next 18 months. I have a first Windstar booked in 2023. I am strongly looking at a larger suite on Viking to Norway. Viking meets enough of the criteria to take a strong look.   I do hope to be able to ask questions on this board without judgement. 

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

For us Crystal not at all a fit. For us it was a one and done. Their financials are such my TA will not book them. I think one reason people get stuck on their favorite line is that it financially feels risky to try something new. I struggle with this too, especially after our Crystal experience.
I know I do not want to be around kids (except the grands on a mainstream cruise). I love the interaction with crew and passengers. I want happy crew.  I want a larger state room and good food and wine. I want interesting, non pretentious people. I like to explore on my own or in small groups doing interesting excursions. I want resort casual dress. I really like not having a balance when I leave the ship and be and business air for international flights. Regent meets our criteria, Seabourn does not,  but we go on both. I have both Regent and Seabourn booked the next 18 months. I have a first Windstar booked in 2023. I am strongly looking at a larger suite on Viking to Norway. Viking meets enough of the criteria to take a strong look.   I do hope to be able to ask questions on this board without judgement. 

Your criteria are why a lot of people say they prefer viking. If you enjoy a drink or three get the silver spirits package. Tours can be chosen (or not) and paid for before your cruise. On board only spa treatments are extra. 

I'd rather have a lower inclusive base fare and upgrade it with a few things we want, than pay a higher fare that includes lots of things (butlers, spa treatments, expensive excursions, lots of entertainment etc.) that we have no interest in. 

We have never had a balance to pay at the end of a cruise, on one occasion Viking owed us! They refunded one days worth of the drinks package on a river cruise when they had a free bar in the evening following a ship swap. 

The ships don't have the bling, but they are comfortable, spacious and friendly. The food is, perhaps, not the best at sea, but its pretty good. 

The mark of a good company is what they do when something goes wrong. (happens to any company at some point)  Viking do seem to be among the best in this respect.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

I know I do not want to be around kids (except the grands on a mainstream cruise). I love the interaction with crew and passengers. I want happy crew.  I want a larger state room and good food and wine. I want interesting, non pretentious people. I like to explore on my own or in small groups doing interesting excursions. I want resort casual dress. I really like not having a balance when I leave the ship and be and business air for international flights. Regent meets our criteria, Seabourn does not,  but we go on both. I have both Regent and Seabourn booked the next 18 months. I have a first Windstar booked in 2023. I am strongly looking at a larger suite on Viking to Norway. Viking meets enough of the criteria to take a strong look.   I do hope to be able to ask questions on this board without judgement

No worry , ask your questions about Viking ships , food, excursions , activities .

there are some wonderful threads on the forum full of information for first time Viking Ocean cruisers.

Enjoy joy your research 

• Like 1

I am intrigued and impressed that a travel agent chooses not to book on Crystal. That depth of financial underwriting is a credit to them.

Booking a cruise for 18 months out may be a leap of faith in any case. But, examining the carrier is a step past the ordinary.

• Like 1

One thing not mentioned which makes Viking a huge plus for us is having a Promenade walking deck. It is the only non-negotiable item for my wife.  Luxury is having a Promenade Deck to walk on. I arranged a few luxury line cruises without a Promenade Deck and will never do it again! I can choose any cruise line with only one stipulation. Viking makes this quite easy!  

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 3

We go on holiday to relax.

Several food options without booking. No need to dress up. Quiet places to sit. Sociable places to sit. No children. No class system. No traditional dining. No formal nights. No sports wear outside the gym or pool. Good customer service without bowing and scraping. Crew (as far as we can tell) treated decently. 

Viking. 

Job done,  another cruise booked. 

PS the Internet has three sections on board. 

1 ship functions. 

2 the crew. 

3 the passengers. 

In that order of priority, excellent. The crew are away from home for months at a time. I found out that Viking give the crew free Internet. Many cruise lines do not. My opinions on those that charge their crews are not printable. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Azulann said:

Hello, Ms. Azulann! Always appreciate your grounded perspectives, and do hope to cruise with you again. Or enjoy San Juan again, the start of that wonderful cruise …

Edited by OceanPatter
  • Thanks 1