Price drop after final payment

dv70

There has been a modest price drop for my January Sky sailing. I understand some cruise lines are allowing a refare after final payment where the fare difference is returned as OBC. Does anyone have experience with this type of thing recently on Princess, or is this idea a non-starter?

Thanks for any insights!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

After final payment, we have been able to obtain OBC and upgrades, never any refunds.

This is what I was hoping to hear (although honestly, not expecting) - thank you!

Well, after about 45 minutes on hold for a representative, and his consultation with a supervisor - the answer was "no can do". Price drop difference cannot be applied as OBC.

Might be a case of "call back and ask someone else"... Or just forget it and move on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dv70 said:

Well, after about 45 minutes on hold for a representative, and his consultation with a supervisor - the answer was "no can do". Price drop difference cannot be applied as OBC.

Might be a case of "call back and ask someone else"... Or just forget it and move on.

Thanks, I will now stop checking fare daily 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Did you get an upgrade (free) or an upsell?

I don't accept upsells because I always book my best available option in my solo price range. Sometimes I even mark bookings NO UPGRADES. These were all free-to-me upgrades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were able to get a price reduction after final payment but it had to be done as new booking because of a change in promotions. (That was 4 weeks ago and I’m still waiting for the refund.) I really think it depends on who you talk to, there are lots of new employees who don’t have all the answers. Fortunately, I have a great TA who doesn’t give up easily. The price has dropped again this week but I haven’t worked up the nerve to ask her to try again!

• Like 4

My cabin went down $647 so I asked my TA to call. They looked for about 20 minutes and couldn’t see the price. I told them  that I could send them a screenshot so they looked again and they said that they finally found it but it’s for new bookings only. I told them that they always figure out a way to key it in. Sorry, we can’t do anything. I will try again in a few days. That is too much money to just give up. She did say that if I wanted to give up the package I could save $50. Haha, why even say that?

• Like 1

I noticed a price drop in my January 21, 2022 Sky sailing, this was after final payment.  I didn't call, but I contacted Princess through chat and they dropped my price and refunded the difference to my credit card.  I would have been ok with OBC, but either way it is ok with me.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, CruzDayz said:

My cabin went down $647 so I asked my TA to call. They looked for about 20 minutes and couldn’t see the price. I told them  that I could send them a screenshot so they looked again and they said that they finally found it but it’s for new bookings only. I told them that they always figure out a way to key it in. Sorry, we can’t do anything. I will try again in a few days. That is too much money to just give up. She did say that if I wanted to give up the package I could save $50. Haha, why even say that?

Update, I had to rebook but I saved $762. Is it worth it with the hold times? I was on the phone for almost four hours on Saturday only to find out that Princess doesn’t have a dept. open on weekends to transfer funds. Please call back on Monday. Called at 8:00am this morning and finished at 11:15 with hold times. She also said that she couldn’t transfer my stock. I know that they could but I already resubmitted it. I have over 60 days until my cruise so no hurry. The  old price reduction game just isn’t fun anymore. On a happy note the cruise went down another $54 while I was on hold. That is the second time this has happened on this cruise. So what started out at $2373 way back in April is now $1072 with the Best Value package and platinum insurance. Also stock and group credit on top of that. I think that the cruise lines are hurting bad. I did lose a lot of OBC along the way but that is money that I never saw, I look at bottom line out of pocket. Now I wait for my Credit Card to be credited.  
I don’t see how the people with many cruises booked keep up with it. 

• Like 7

On 12/6/2021 at 4:28 PM, CruzDayz said:

Update, I had to rebook but I saved $762. Is it worth it with the hold times? I was on the phone for almost four hours on Saturday only to find out that Princess doesn’t have a dept. open on weekends to transfer funds. Please call back on Monday. Called at 8:00am this morning and finished at 11:15 with hold times. She also said that she couldn’t transfer my stock. I know that they could but I already resubmitted it. I have over 60 days until my cruise so no hurry. The  old price reduction game just isn’t fun anymore. On a happy note the cruise went down another $54 while I was on hold. That is the second time this has happened on this cruise. So what started out at $2373 way back in April is now $1072 with the Best Value package and platinum insurance. Also stock and group credit on top of that. I think that the cruise lines are hurting bad. I did lose a lot of OBC along the way but that is money that I never saw, I look at bottom line out of pocket. Now I wait for my Credit Card to be credited.  
I don’t see how the people with many cruises booked keep up with it. 

Glad it worked out for you, but of course Monday is about the busiest phone day from all reports.  

I definitely look at net bottom line.  I would never re-do a booking to save $100 and also lose $100 OBC, for example.  Nothing gained in reality.  It always depends who you get on the phone as to how smoothly the process goes.

• Like 2

I actually just refared 2 cabins (mine and my sons') for our 28 December cruise. We lost some OBC that was attached to the promotion we booked under, but Princess was able to refare it for us, no problem. I will be getting a refund for the difference back to my credit card.

• Like 2

I tried this morning. Our Grand on December 30th went down $300. I called my agent. They checked with Princess. They said I would lose my $230 OBC, but I’d still be ahead. However Princess said they could not cancel and rebook because I’m at 75 percent penalty. Oh well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmalino said:

I actually just refared 2 cabins (mine and my sons') for our 28 December cruise. We lost some OBC that was attached to the promotion we booked under, but Princess was able to refare it for us, no problem. I will be getting a refund for the difference back to my credit card.

6 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

I tried this morning. Our Grand on December 30th went down $300. I called my agent. They checked with Princess. They said I would lose my $230 OBC, but I’d still be ahead. However Princess said they could not cancel and rebook because I’m at 75 percent penalty. Oh well.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:37 AM, Ombud said:

I'm wondering if ppl can rebook after final payment date but at least 30 days put to drop price? I just ask for a better room

So is the difference that PVP / CVP can do it within Princess (don't have to ask) whereas TAs cannot? Perhaps tied to commission??

Bottom line now that I'm having a mini-suite-- book the lowest room you want and hope for an upgrade. For me that's mid aft or mid forward balcony hope for mid ship deluxe or premium balcony. 

45 days to cruise - so after final payment - saw price drop - emailed PVP

options to consider, if possible

1) change from balcony to deluxe balcony ( same price after drop )

2) credit back to card

3) OBC / Specialty dinner

got the room change at no charge, same booking number