Enjoyed our Covid test at Walgreens today

coaster

Went to Walgreens for our scheduled Covid test to board Serenade Friday. Guy at drive-in pharmacy window was so funny telling us how people have messed up on the procedures in the past.  He had a great spiel like he must of been a comedian in his past careers.

Appointments seem to be wide open now. Was the not the case back in October when we saw no availability and had to order the proctored at home test at our expense. That was not fun. We were also negative after an email confirmed about an hour later... Thank you Walgreens!

Edited by coaster
  • Like 5

• coaster changed the title to Enjoyed our Covid test at Walgreens today

Good to know.  My test at Walgreens is tomorrow at 12:30.  Back in September DH and I both got tested at Walgreens.  I had my negative result in an hour and never did get DH's.  I finally called the Walgreens where we went and talked the rep into running a copy of the results they had received for him so we were able to board, but it was a painful experience to say the least.  Hope I have good luck again tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, TeachUF352 said:

The site doesn't say it's an accepted PCR test for kids. Reading a bit further elsewhere, the fact that the Walgreens test seems to be a molecular one, seems to indicate it's maybe a PCR test but it's not obvious reading the RCI site.

We used CVS pharmacy for both our pre and post cruise rapid tests. Pre was required, post was because we (wife and I) were in Mexico and Roatan and we both have elderly parents in assisted living facilities.

Edited by mac66

11 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

Having a very positive covid test experience could be very good or very bad 😂

There's a big difference between the testing experience and the test results. One was positive for us. The other was fortunately, negative.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The site doesn't say it's an accepted PCR test for kids. Reading a bit further elsewhere, the fact that the Walgreens test seems to be a molecular one, seems to indicate it's maybe a PCR test but it's not obvious reading the RCI site.

You’re exactly right. That’s what I got out of it too. This really shouldn’t be this hard. I’m wondering if anyone did the ID Now test for their kids this past weekend and had it accepted by RC?

43 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

I just went online for Walgreen's.  They show 3 tests - Binax NOW, ID NOW, and PCR.  Which test or tests would RC accept?

It depends on several factors such as vaccination status and where you are sailing from. They do a pretty good job of explaining here

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Not all Walgreens do all three of the tests you mention. There are no Walgreens with Binax NOW in my state at all. For us, the best option is the monitored Binax NOW test available from emed.com (I believe only a pack of 6) or optum.com (packs of 2, 3, or 6).  Two warnings: Don't order the kits until 3-4 weeks before the cruise. Also, have a spare in case you mess up a test, drop the card on the floor, touch the test card with the bottle nozzle, the bottle is dried out, etc.

Edited by publicpersona

Just got my results, negative!. Took right about an hour to get them. My only problem was the employee seemed totally bothered to be helping us.  She explained the procedure very quickly, was annoyed with questions I had during the process and did not watch me while I did it. Fortunately I’ve had previous tests done by a professional and knew how far back to go. It hurts. Many people could easily fudge the result at this Walgreens though.