Cancelling

disneykins

We have a cruise on Feb. 19 so final payment is due this week. If we pay in full, we have to test 2 days before the cruise (the rules change in January, I think, can't find that info). If we test positive, we can't cruise. Does NCL fully refund our cruise to the method we paid with? Do they give us an FCC? We have no insurance.

I can't get a straight answer from the online chat, they just cut and paste the "small print", lol.

Thanks,

Tony

I found this under the Refund Policies, which I think is what you are asking (the two bolded sections).  Hopefully you won't have to use these policies though!

Cruise Cancelled by Guest

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Cruise Ticket Contract for your cruise.
  • If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation**

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering why you don't have travel insurance.  You've been on CC for years so this isn't your first cruise.  It's like  playing Russian Roulette.  I would prefer spending  my money on something I may not use instead of being stuck with thousands of dollars because of an accident or illness.  Just my opinion.  Everyone does what they think is best for themselves.

happytotravel

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kfnesq said:

I found this under the Refund Policies, which I think is what you are asking (the two bolded sections).  Hopefully you won't have to use these policies though!

• If, following a declaration of a Public Health Emergency, you cancel a booking for a cruise scheduled during the declared emergency or must cancel your booking because you are prohibited from traveling to the vessel due to a governmental travel restriction, but the cruise is not cancelled, you are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. In all other cases our standard cancellation policy will apply, as set forth in the Cruise Ticket Contract for your cruise.
  • If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian. To qualify for the FCC, if your COVID-19 test was administered by a provider other than one retained by Norwegian, you must present your verified positive test result in a form acceptable to Norwegian.

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

Please be careful with NCL..

I have a long thread you can find where I was denied boarding in NO and asked for a full refund and they are playing games with ginvg me FCC. I had a negative test 48 hours prior to postive at pier. To me anyone that buys a trip on NCL should expect that they will not follow their own rules, to their benefit. There are several other cruise companies that seem to be better, in terms of their rules and BTW way cheaper. NOW THIS IS A SIGN OF A COMPANY THAT DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Carnival, for me just had a cancelled cruise they gave me $300 OBC (Or refund offer) and gave back to be as refund difference in price between original cruise and new one I selected. So I ended up with another cruise, $300 OBC and over $200 refund due to new cruise lower in fare. NOW THAT IS TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• Like 2

People need to read the policy. It clearly identifies the compensation you are entitled to. Don’t expect that a sad story will get them to grant exceptions. Denied embarkation, FCC. 

A company that grants exceptions for every sad story would go out of business. We are happy that NCL enforces the written policies. We demand NCL to enforce policy. 

We go out of the way to self isolate before on cruises or long trips to ensure that our behavior does not increase the risk of testing positive. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

People need to read the policy. It clearly identifies the compensation you are entitled to. Don’t expect that a sad story will get them to grant exceptions. Denied embarkation, FCC. 

A company that grants exceptions for every sad story would go out of business. We are happy that NCL enforces the written policies. We demand NCL to enforce policy. 

We go out of the way to self isolate before on cruises or long trips to ensure that our behavior does not increase the risk of testing positive. 

I agree, they should enforce their rules. Negative 48 hours prior to pier and postive at pier, FULL REFUND or FCC. In my case they did not give a FULL REFUND.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

for the amount paid to Norwegian

Curious, would an upgrade bid (won and paid for) be included in this? I understand that it's an outside company that handles the processing but is it still considered "paid to Norwegian"? 

Edited by vacationut

7 hours ago, kfnesq said:

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. Finally ready to cruise after 2 years and have 1 on Royal in March, so the changing rules are confusing me, lol, I need a cruise.

Tony

6 hours ago, happytotravel said:

Just wondering why you don't have travel insurance.  You've been on CC for years so this isn't your first cruise.  It's like  playing Russian Roulette.  I would prefer spending  my money on something I may not use instead of being stuck with thousands of dollars because of an accident or illness.  Just my opinion.  Everyone does what they think is best for themselves.

happytotravel

We have out of province travel protection but I'm not sure it covers Covid. We never buy cancellation insurance and have been lucky to never regret that choice. We have taken over 40 cruises, so even if it was only $100 per cruise, we are $4,000 ahead by not buying insurance. We have always travelled with the premise that, if we have to cancel, will it break us financially? The answer is always no, or we wouldn't be going. Now that we are getting older, and parents are getting older, we might consider it in the future. 

Tony

35 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We have out of province travel protection but I'm not sure it covers Covid. We never buy cancellation insurance and have been lucky to never regret that choice. We have taken over 40 cruises, so even if it was only $100 per cruise, we are $4,000 ahead by not buying insurance. We have always travelled with the premise that, if we have to cancel, will it break us financially? The answer is always no, or we wouldn't be going. Now that we are getting older, and parents are getting older, we might consider it in the future. 

Tony

Me thinks the future is here.

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:16 PM, LGW59 said:

Me thinks the future is here.

Ive been on 17 cruises and the first time I ever bought insurance was for the cruise we have coming up in February.  I didn't get cancel for any reason, because they only cover 75% of trip and you must use 2 days before you leave.  Anyway I did buy the regular insurance, what covers you basically if I got covid before I left.  What good is the insurance then? If the cruise line gives you FCC for the same.  I think I could still get a refund.  Don't want to waste $100 for no reason.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, disneykins said:

We have a cruise on Feb. 19 so final payment is due this week. If we pay in full, we have to test 2 days before the cruise (the rules change in January, I think, can't find that info).

Apparently, the rules will NOT change in January.  Still testing at the pier and, presumably, pretesting a few days (96 hours, in most cases) on your own.

Edited by phillygwm

I have to say, they keep changing rules. I called back in September to discuss my February cruise. I was told not to worry I can cancel after final payment. I have essential insurance, they told me I would be fine. Well, I looked today and rules have changed. I am not complaining, I plan to go unless the world blows up. I just think they need to tell people that what they say today could change tomorrow.

Also, got my bid email and wow the minimum bids have gone way up. Last cruise in 2019 from large balcony to haven was half what bids from club balcony to haven are for my cruise. Again, not complaining but doubt I will bid. I didn’t win in 2019 with a fair bid and I am happy with my current room. I don’t need to pay $3000 to $6000 more to get to haven. 

NCl tries it's darndest to hold onto your cruise fare, whether they cancel or you do.  

After much anguish, many emails, phone calls, etc. my sister finally got her full refund from a cruise Norwegian cancelled at near the beginning of the epedemic, March of 2020.  It probably was partly because she panicked and cancelled the cruise herself literally two days before NCL cancelled all cruises

She tried to use her FCC last August, but that cruise was cancelled by NCL as well.  

So coming up on two years, and the saga, as of Monday, is finally over.

7 minutes ago, Double Jack said:

Just another reason I will not be booking a cruise any time soon.

Too many other options for my vacation dollars.

You are correct. We all have options. 

Your choice! 

Stay Safe and Happy Holidays! 

11 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

NCl tries it's darndest to hold onto your cruise fare, whether they cancel or you do.  

After much anguish, many emails, phone calls, etc. my sister finally got her full refund from a cruise Norwegian cancelled at near the beginning of the epedemic, March of 2020.  It probably was partly because she panicked and cancelled the cruise herself literally two days before NCL cancelled all cruises

She tried to use her FCC last August, but that cruise was cancelled by NCL as well.  

So coming up on two years, and the saga, as of Monday, is finally over.

This is exact same thing that happened to me. I cancelled two days before they did when pandemic started. Took fcc, no bonus since I cancelled, called peace of mind. That one got cancelled and offered ten percent off, no option for refund. Now thst fcc was on cruise that I tested positive at Pier and I had negative within 48 hours prior to travel. I am entitled to full refund on two areas. One now peace of mind fcc is entitled to refund plus my positive at Pier after negative.

Now I have 1300 fcc I want refunded and about 100 refunded. My out of pocket is 2172 plus prepaid wifi and prepaid excursion. 

How is this not stealing? 

I do have claims submitted through their website. Hopefully they'll do correct thing and refund every penny I've invested.

2 hours ago, thepla said:

This is exact same thing that happened to me. I cancelled two days before they did when pandemic started. Took fcc, no bonus since I cancelled, called peace of mind. That one got cancelled and offered ten percent off, no option for refund. Now thst fcc was on cruise that I tested positive at Pier and I had negative within 48 hours prior to travel. I am entitled to full refund on two areas. One now peace of mind fcc is entitled to refund plus my positive at Pier after negative.

Now I have 1300 fcc I want refunded and about 100 refunded. My out of pocket is 2172 plus prepaid wifi and prepaid excursion. 

How is this not stealing? 

I do have claims submitted through their website. Hopefully they'll do correct thing and refund every penny I've invested.

A FCC can’t ever go back to cash.

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

A FCC can’t ever go back to cash.

Not true. From their website.

added. If one of the available insurance plans is not added to the reservation, the FCC will be removed from payment.

Future Cruise Credit Refund Requests

To offer our guests even more flexibility for future vacation planning, many who hold outstanding Future Cruise Credits (FCC) may now submit a request to convert their FCC to a monetary refund. Guests who elect to request their FCC to a monetary refund will receive the original cruise fare paid, back to their original form of payment and forfeit any bonus FCCs attached to their Latitudes profile.

For example: FCCs issued in July 2020 had a book by date of July 2021. The new “book by” date is December 31, 2021.

Applicability to convert an existing FCC to a monetary refund request may be submitted for one of the following reasons:

• Guest has been affected by one or more suspensions.
  • Guest elected to cancel via our Peace of Mind (POM) policy and the sailing did not take place as a result of our suspension of voyages.
  • Guest had an active reservation as of April 5, 2021 for a cruise with a vaccination requirement (all sailings through October 31, 2021) or an active reservation as of August 18, 2021 for a cruise with a vaccination requirement (all sailings November 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021), and the guest is unable to comply so long as the request is submitted prior to the final payment date. Requests submitted after a qualified reservation’s final payment date will be subject to Norwegian’s cancellation fee policy communicated to our guests at time of booking and can be found on our website Cancellation Policy page.
  • An active and existing FCC is attached to a profile of a guest who has passed away.

Any guest affected by one of the above, wishing to request a monetary refund (of their original cruise fare paid and in lieu of their active FCC, including bonus amounts) must submit a refund request via the Guest Relations Case Submission page.

Special Notes

1. All guests who complete an online submission request (requesting to convert active FCCs to a monetary refund) agree that they are authorized to do so on behalf of all persons on the reservation as we are unable to issue partial refunds. In addition, they agree they are authorized to remove the value of any bonus future cruise credits offered by Norwegian Cruise Line for all guests.
  2. Upon submission of the online request, an email will be sent to the email address entered on the form with a response and case number.
  3. CruiseNext and CruiseFirst coupons are not eligible for refund outside of each programs terms and conditions.
  4. As we anticipate high volumes of inquiries, we kindly ask for your patience and allow up to 30 days for the review process to be completed. Each submission request will be individually handled and responded to.
  5. Exclusions may apply, but are not limited to, one of the following:
    • An FCC has been fully or partially transferred.
    • The current FCC holder is not the original FCC recipient.
    • A credit card dispute was filed for the charges.
    • The FCC is applied to an active and existing reservation.
    • The FCC has been partially applied to an active and existing reservation.
    • *An FCC has been applied to a reservation canceled under our Peace of Mind policy on or after August 2nd are ineligible for refund as the original FCC value are now included in the Peace of Mind FCC (coupon class POM-NRD) which is a non-refundable future cruise credit.
  6. If a refund is approved, all FCCs (including Bonus FCCs) will be deactivated, and a refund will be issued back to the original form of payment, within 90 days from the request submission date.
  7. Any existing 10% Future Cruise Discounts will remain active and available for use on future bookings.
  8.  For guests who are no longer able to travel as a result of an official announcement by a government or agency that takes place within 14 days of sailing (when Peace of Mind is no longer available), and the mandate states guests are NOT allowed to travel, then a refund would be available. If the new mandate is an inconvenience to the guest, i.e. a new quarantine requirement upon return from travel (but not a travel ban), then an FCC would be offered.
    •  Only new government or agency mandates would be considered. Anything in place already since April 2021 would not allow the guest to cancel and receive the above.
Still have questions? Contact Guest Services.

Hi and merry Christmas to you all.

I would just like to add my feedback to this topic as it is very much a case of where you are resident and travelling too etc. For example in the United Kingdom you could not even get travel insurance for most of this and last year for a cruise etc. My understanding now is that you can get cruise insurance but it will become void and non existent if the government introduces lock downs and advises against travel! 

So you can get insurance but not actually be insured for anything if you actually really need it!  Trust me you people in the States and Canada have it so much better than us in the backwards world of Europe and UK. I just think the world is going completely bonkers and nobody seems to be questioning things. When do we start living again? 6 weeks from now we will be talking about another variant of concern………..and another 6 weeks after another one again! 

is this really how we want to live? If so euthanise me now as this is just getting beyond stupid now.

All the best to all 

On 12/19/2021 at 6:57 AM, kfnesq said:

If you, your family members or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Norwegian.

Wow.  I didn't know that NCL will not give you a refund if you test positive before your cruise.  This gives us another reason to not make our final payment next week.  Royal Caribbean would give a refund in that situation.  Once NCL has your money, good luck getting it back.  

16 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Wow.  I didn't know that NCL will not give you a refund if you test positive before your cruise.  This gives us another reason to not make our final payment next week.  Royal Caribbean would give a refund in that situation.  Once NCL has your money, good luck getting it back.  

If you are negative within 48 hours and positive at Pier you are supposed to get a full refund 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:07 AM, happytotravel said:

Just wondering why you don't have travel insurance.

I think it's smart to get travel insurance for many reasons.  But don't think insurance is relative in this case.  If you test positive at home, NCL gives you FCC.  I could be wrong, but I don't think most insurance will convert that to a refund.

But the issue is that if you test positive at home, NCL has your money.  If this was RCI they would give you a refund.  But NCL will give you one month to book a new cruise.  That new cruise must be in 2022.  And the prices for 2022 cruises are inflated (purposely?) by NCL.  In our case, there is no way we could rebook a similar new cruise for the price of our existing cruise.  

1 minute ago, thepla said:

If you are negative within 48 hours and positive at Pier you are supposed to get a full refund 

True.  But in February, they will stop testing at the pier.  All passengers will test at home.  And they will not give you a refund if you test positive.

6 minutes ago, thepla said:

Incorrect. 

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19