WARNING! -- Medallions have been POPPING OUT of the current "improved" medallion holders!

RSS from SF

Regarding the current medallion holders:

• IMG_20211123_104234.thumb.jpg.ac188c654b

---

Please be careful! --

Medallions have been POPPING OUT of the current "improved" round medallion holders!  Three examples:

1. At home --
    My spouse's medallion popped out of the holder just before leaving the house for our Majestic Princess cruise late last week:
    a)  Spouse removed the medallion from round holder and and put the medallion in an older square holder.
    b)  I decided to keep my medallion in the round holder for check-in, but otherwise on the ship I carry the medallion only in my pocket.

2. Crown Grill, 2 nights ago at dinner:
    The woman with her party of 3 at the round table next to us had her medallion pop out and UNDER THE TABLE LEGS.

3. World Fresh Marketplace buffet, this morning at breakfast:
    The woman at the window table next to us had her medallion pop out, bouncing ONTO HER PLATE, and
    then onto her 🍓🍓🍓 JAM 🤣, causing a mess!

-----

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm....

The medallions are magnetic.

Many, if not all of the accessories Princess sells to hold the medallion are also magnetic.

Unless you line up the two pieces properly, the medallion will not lock into place due to the polarity.

1589660066_ScreenShot2021-12-20at12_23_02PM.png.e87da5c85cb3f2bbbda5c9e5ae368481.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Hmmmm....

The medallions are magnetic.

Many, if not all of the accessories Princess sells to hold the medallion are also magnetic.

Unless you line up the two pieces properly, the medallion will not lock into place due to the polarity.

The new included holders are plastic, so the magnetic part doesn't apply here. I'll probably go back to my watch band holder for now, or re-use the square holder from previous cruise.

The nice thing about the old holder was the Medallion was trapped between two pieces of plastic, and your lanyard clip kept the two plastic halves from being able to open. Seems this new one is a pop in and out, instead of two halves coming together, so there is no reliable way to keep them in?

• Like 2

I originally had a holder like this and it broke during my first cruise with it.  I now have the recycled plastic holder and love it.  It's not as "rigid" as the clear one, and you have to unscrew the face to get the medallion out.  I didn't realize this until last night when I was trying to get my last medallion out for my cruise this week.  I've loved it and highly recommend.

48 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Hmmm...I'll have to look at one in person, as it looks like there's something inside the plastic.

1093455432_ScreenShot2021-12-20at2_32_45PM.thumb.png.7cc75446c28ceecd49bd70de1489c62a.png

No there's nothing inside the plastic (I'm looking at one right now). I think the holder in your picture is picking up the surface underneath.

That said, we didn't have any issues with ours earlier this month. My wife used the new holder and I used the rubberized band sold on board (this was the 3rd time I've used this band).

I'll keep my speculation as to the cause of this problem to myself, although I'll note that there is a definite front and back to the holders and your picture shows the backside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shellbeachjim said:

I'll keep my speculation as to the cause of this problem to myself, although I'll note that there is a definite front and back to the holders and your picture shows the backside.

Thanks for the info. It's either a crappy design or user error.

I keep mine in my pants pocket.

It's not as if I'm at a convention or trade show, I'm on vacation.

unsafe-display.thumb.jpg.82e9153591e9044d045da994607e4a28.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

The new included holders are plastic, so the magnetic part doesn't apply here. I'll probably go back to my watch band holder for now, or re-use the square holder from previous cruise.

The nice thing about the old holder was the Medallion was trapped between two pieces of plastic, and your lanyard clip kept the two plastic halves from being able to open. Seems this new one is a pop in and out, instead of two halves coming together, so there is no reliable way to keep them in?

Last time I looked at the photographs and diagrams at the FCC ID site it showed a magnet inside the medallion. The design may have been revised since then as I have not looked at the design in a number of months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

How would they know where your stateroom is?

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

good point.

Just take the found medallion to any of the information boards scattered around the ship & it'll tell you on which deck & where your cabin is. With directions on how to get there from where you're then located.

Of they may have well fixed this in their system by now but knowing Princess software dept., I doubt it. This software glitch has been in their system since 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Last time I looked at the photographs and diagrams at the FCC ID site it showed a magnet inside the medallion. The design may have been revised since then as I have not looked at the design in a number of months.

Yep! The Medallions themselves have a magnet inside. This new plastic holder that is failing doesn’t appear to have any magnets. Just a tension system. 

• Like 1

Just now, brisalta said:

it showed a magnet inside the medallion. The design may have been revised since then

---

The current medallion definitely still has a magnet inside it:

20211220_140419.jpg

• Like 2

If you press on the front of the medallion it will pop out of the back of the plastic holder. Does take a little bit of pressure, but I can see how it might pop out if the front hit something, especially if it was not fully seated by whomever pressed it into the plastic holder.

Of course it was made with the intent of the medallion being removeable, after all they want people to buy other holders.  If they made it too difficult to remove they would be getting complaints about that as well.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, nocl said:

Does take a little bit of pressure, but I can see how it might pop out if the front hit something, especially if it was not fully seated by whomever pressed it into the plastic holder.

---

If most people don't have a problem with the holders, just perhaps there might be some occasional problems with Princess' contracted manufacturer's quality control*, because both of our medallions come out of these particular holders with almost NO pressure !

*Forgive me -- my bad. . .  Why of course we users are likely to blame, rather than the holder design.  After all, Princess has been SO SUCCESSFUL at their quality control with the MedallionClass app😉😁

---

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Of course it was made with the intent of the medallion being removeable, after all they want people to buy other holders*.

---

* LOL, especially if the users had already lost their damn medallions that had popped out of a poorly designed holder!  😁

---