Disembarking Process at Fort Lauderdale--Can I Make a 9AM Flight

nelblu

Just wondering how the process at FLL these days.  Just sailed Mariner out of Port Canaveral and the process. with facial recognition, took approximately 15 minutes.  If same process at FLL, I should be able to make flight if I self-disembark.  Next flight available is at 12PM.

Your help would be appreciated.

We just disembarked the Odyssey yesterday at Port Everglades.  We did self disembark.  We left our stateroom at 0736, and were at the taxi stand at 0743. We literally walked (leisurely) straight off the ship.  No wait.  No line.  Signs on our way to Customs told us to have our passports ready, but didn’t even look at them.  Walked straight past officials, did facial recognition, and onto our Uber for the airport (we went to Miami for a noon flight).  Easy with no probs.

of note, self disembark on the Odyssey started at 0700.  But if your ship encounters any customs delays, that might be cutting it close for you.  Either way, good luck!

2 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

If you like living on the edge!
Possible -Yes

Probable- Maybe

Unlikely- If any type of delay.

FLL can get very crowded going through security.

Great point.  That in and of itself (delays at FLL checkin and security), would make a 0900 flight quite risky.  

Having elite status on the airline (shorter line at check in), and TSA precheck may help tho.

• Like 1

Prior to pandemic it was very doable as I have Global Entry and airport is only a few minutes away.  Ship estimated docking is 6:15 am.   Usually, they dock a bit early.

Edited by nelblu

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It seems that the former default of 30 min for first group walking off after the scheduled docking has now moved to 45 min.

That's something to consider.  

Ps:  I'm presently booked for a 12PM flight and hate to spend some 3 hours wait at airport.

We got off Odyssey a couple of months ago and basically walked right off too, stopping at the facial scan for a moment. I did not see a single federal officer anywhere (I assume they were around somewhere), only sheriffs deputies. I'd thought this is how things should be done for years.

Saying this, I have also been delayed several hours getting off the ship, especially in Ft Lauderdale, for who knows what reasons. But, it has been a few years. Catching such an early flight sounds like it "could" work out, but it's risky.

Yes and No.

You never know what hiccups can occur disembarking from ship, traffic , or delays getting to Airport.

We sailed NCL. A woman was arrested for trafficking. They made a huge scene coming on board to arrest her.. This pushed back passengers disembarkation 2 hours. 

Once we were able to get off ship custom's was super slow. Took us about 1 hour to get thru line.

Another time we walked off ship walked thru those new camera recognition systems Custom's uses and were at airport by 9AM. Only to find all Terminals had to go thru 1 check point. (SEA-TAC) Took about 4 hours to get thru line. It was the most insane thing i had ever witnessed, they had 1 line going up and down escalators winding thru out the entire terminal. 

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Take the noon flight. 

Why be stressed for the entire cruise worrying if you will make the flight.  Sleep later on the final day and have breakfast before heading out.

Unfortunately, sleeping late for me is 4AM.😀

• Haha 3

IMHO you will never make it. The ship was not cleared last Sunday until 7:30. Even if you can get off before that there are so many delays at the airport right now, and if you have to check luggage and get thru TSA line, you’re going to be hard-pressed to make it on a plane by 9 o’clock. 

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Just wondering how the process at FLL these days.  Just sailed Mariner out of Port Canaveral and the process. with facial recognition, took approximately 15 minutes.  If same process at FLL, I should be able to make flight if I self-disembark.  Next flight available is at 12PM.

Note that facial recognition is not always in operation.  We disembarked a Celebrity cruise on Nov 6 in terminal 25 where facial recognition was in operation and we breezed through.  Disembarked another cruise on Nov 15 - same terminal and it was not in operation with long lines at Customs/Immigration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

My big and huge concern is if there's infections on board, how will it impact the disembarking process.

I want to thank those that took time to reply to my topic.

With the most recent sailings dealing with Covid it seems they disembark all non positive tested cases first then those that tested positive are taken off the ship between 9:30 and 11 am.   

I have read that it has been delaying some b2b passengers since they cannot do their process until all passengers are off the ship plus the fact they are doing deep cleaning with fogging in between these sailings.    

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Prior to pandemic it was very doable as I have Global Entry and airport is only a few minutes away.  Ship estimated docking is 6:15 am.   Usually, they dock a bit early.

No matter what time the ship arrives at port, they can’t start disembarkation until everything is ready in the terminal, like customs and other essential personnel. Roll the dice, if you feel lucky, but make sure you have a plan B if you don’t make it. With what’s been going on with the weather, and airlines, it better be a good one.

I just read on CC about an Oasis class ship that did not start disembark until 9:45 due to a medical reason.  Many things out of your direct control can happen with out warning.  

I personally feel that s cutting it WAY to close.  As others have said - what is your plan B??  

As my friend would say, "Juice ain't worth the squeeze?"

I too do not like spending extra hours in an airport but I HATE missing a plane even more!

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

I would say it's possible, but with Covid restrictions I wouldn't risk it right now.