Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

I'm not on this journey but living vicariously through all these wonderful updates.

Being a newbie Viking cruiser, I had a question.  What is the reason it takes 3 days to get from LA to Cabo San Lucas and a day between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta?  Is it because it is a smaller ship?  Typically it is max a day between Cabo and LA and just a quick trip between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta on other ships.

I wish you all a fantastic journey.

I know these are difficult times but I am only likely to ever do one world cruise and to me it has to have special destinations that I am not likely to visit often, or that wouldn’t be easy for me to visit. As a Brit who loves cruising I have been to virtually all of the European ports - some of them many times - and this wouldn’t fulfil my definition of a special cruise.

South America is on my bucket list but if I cruise there I would want to see more than just Chile and Uruguay.

Again it’s a reflection of the times but I would hate to have to leave the ship only on official tours.

So if I was booked on this cruise I would be cancelling. Destinations are a big part of cruising to me and for me this cruise is not value for the cost.

However I appreciate that we are all different and I think the positive spirit shown by many posters is admirable. I will continue to enjoy the posts and blogs.

Finally I know that Omicron has been a fast moving game changer but I do think Viking could have held their webinar a couple of days earlier before many pax travelled to LA.  Travelling by plane with the risks of catching a Covid as well as the stress of testing could have been avoided for those who decided to cancel.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rizello said:

I'm not on this journey but living vicariously through all these wonderful updates.

Being a newbie Viking cruiser, I had a question.  What is the reason it takes 3 days to get from LA to Cabo San Lucas and a day between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta?  Is it because it is a smaller ship?  Typically it is max a day between Cabo and LA and just a quick trip between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta on other ships.

It has nothing to do with the ship or its size. They're just filling the itinerary with sea days for lack of anywhere else to go. 

49 minutes ago, rizello said:

I used to sail a weekly Mexico schedule and we have never made Cabo in 1-day. The speed required would be around 40 kts. Cabo is normally 2.5-days steaming.

Can be many reasons for taking an extra day - fuel conservation from running the ship at optimal speed, number of ships in Cabo. Although ships anchor, when too many ships, it isn't a pleasant port.

Has nothing to do with the size of ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadabout60 said:

I know these are difficult times but I am only likely to ever do one world cruise and to me it has to have special destinations that I am not likely to visit often, or that wouldn’t be easy for me to visit. As a Brit who loves cruising I have been to virtually all of the European ports - some of them many times - and this wouldn’t fulfil my definition of a special cruise.

South America is on my bucket list but if I cruise there I would want to see more than just Chile and Uruguay.

Again it’s a reflection of the times but I would hate to have to leave the ship only on official tours.

So if I was booked on this cruise I would be cancelling. Destinations are a big part of cruising to me and for me this cruise is not value for the cost.

However I appreciate that we are all different and I think the positive spirit shown by many posters is admirable. I will continue to enjoy the posts and blogs.

Finally I know that Omicron has been a fast moving game changer but I do think Viking could have held their webinar a couple of days earlier before many pax travelled to LA.  Travelling by plane with the risks of catching a Covid as well as the stress of testing could have been avoided for those who decided to cancel.

I've been fortunate to visit South America five times, including Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, the Falklands, and Brazil. All of my trips were land-based except for one cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

A cruise can give you a taste of the continent. But many of the must-see sights are quite far from the coast -- Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu, Torres del Paine NP, Lake Titicaca, the Andean highlands, and the Amazon jungle come to mind. So if South America is indeed on your bucket list, you might consider a pre- or post-extension to a cruise, or a land-based trip instead of a cruise. Either way, you'll have a great time when you decide to visit!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I used to sail a weekly Mexico schedule and we have never made Cabo in 1-day. The speed required would be around 40 kts. Cabo is normally 2.5-days steaming.

I respectfully disagree. Ships  departing Los Angeles in the late afternoon need to spend only one full day at sea and then arrive in Cabo late the following morning. For example, Sunday departure,  Monday at sea, arrival in Cabo Tuesday. I've taken these cruises a number of times and I double checked by looking at the schedule for upcoming cruises on an NCL ship and the itinerary is as I've stated.

The Viking Star itinerary shows her spending three full days at sea after departing LA. If she were departing Los Angeles on the same Sunday at the same time as the NCL ship she would be spending Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at sea, arriving in Cabo on Thursday, two days after the NCL ship, although undoubted earlier in the day on Thursday than the NCL ship arrived on Tuesday.

Further the Viking Star's itinerary shows a day at sea between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, which is also not necessary.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Regarding the Viking cruise I took in South America, I should add that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the ports. But that was in early 2020, right before the pandemic took hold. I'm content for now to let the situation stabilize -- if that's possible -- before I visit SA again.

Edited by SJD117

3 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I've been fortunate to visit South America five times, including Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, the Falklands, and Brazil. All of my trips were land-based except for one cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

A cruise can give you a taste of the continent. But many of the must-see sights are quite far from the coast -- Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu, Torres del Paine NP, Lake Titicaca, the Andean highlands, and the Amazon jungle come to mind. So if South America is indeed on your bucket list, you might consider a pre- or post-extension to a cruise, or a land-based trip instead of a cruise. Either way, you'll have a great time when you decide to visit!

Thanks SJD

Thats good advice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I respectfully disagree. Ships  departing Los Angeles in the late afternoon need to spend only one full day at sea and then arrive in Cabo late the following morning. For example, Sunday departure,  Monday at sea, arrival in Cabo Tuesday. I've taken these cruises a number of times and I double checked by looking at the schedule for upcoming cruises on an NCL ship and the itinerary is as I've stated.

The Viking Star itinerary shows her spending three full days at sea after departing LA. If she were departing Los Angeles on the same Sunday at the same time as the NCL ship she would be spending Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at sea, arriving in Cabo on Thursday, two days after the NCL ship, although undoubted earlier in the day on Thursday than the NCL ship arrived on Tuesday.

Further the Viking Star's itinerary shows a day at sea between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, which is also not necessary.

Thanks, I was thinking 2-days to Cabo and meant to type 1.5, and obviously didn't proof read. We departed San Pedro every 2nd Saturday and were in Cabo by Monday AM. Following week, we departed Cabo on Thursday and arrived on Saturday.

With 3 days at sea to Cabo, they only require about 8 kts. I believe PV only has 1 other ship on 18th Jan. With the additional sea day between Cabo & PV, it could be slow steaming for berth availability at a later port. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I tried to comment on your blog but failed.  The Getty Villa is closed on Tuesdays.

Don’t know if this would have been the case here but many buildings have private tours on their “closed “ days. In Bilbao the cruise I was on organised a tour in the Guggenheim on a day when they were closed to the public.

8 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Wow 513 for the world cruise.  Surprised so many with all the issues and changes.  Will be even more surprised if no one tests positive.  But fingers crossed.

So those that become positive will be forced to remain behind?  Wow, that would be heartbreaking.  

For us a world cruise would be a once in a life time and we wouldn’t go under these circumstances.  But to those who go I’m sure it will still be a wonderful experience.  I’m following all your adventures and hoping for our turn someday.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, NY Nick said:

Linda and I have criss crossed the country by car a half dozen times always taking a different route. Give us your starting and ending point and I’m sure we can toss a few ideas your way. Here or at djnick913@aol.com

Nick, so thoughtful of you. I sent you an email  so we don't hijack this thread. Put US Car Trip... in the subject line.

Diana

Shortly after 9:00 am PT [9:07 to be precise] came a bong-bong-bong with an announcement that all of us that had boarded in LA had now been cleared and can now leave our staterooms and enjoy our day in Los Angeles. 🎊

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, gadabout60 said:

I’ve seen different responses to this and just need to clarify. Were  you offered full refunds or 110% vouchers if you choose to cancel? At this point the voucher would not pay for a rebook on next years Viking WC.

4 minutes ago, Lucie20 said:

GKTV32162:  I'm enjoying your blog immensely!  The pictures are great with the commentary.  I'm living vicariously through y'all's journey--thanks for posting!

My pleasure. I'm humbled by the folks that are following. 😀

• Like 2