To Cancel or not to Cancel

Pickels

On 1/4/2022 at 1:15 PM, nocl said:

A lot can change between now and March.  Projections are that the Omicron wave should be pretty much over by then.

I would expect that the crew would also be in better shape since a percentage will have gotten it and finished quarantine by then leaving them pretty low risk for several month.

I am viewing that the 3-6 month period  after the Omicron wave peaks as an ideal time to travel.

I'm feeling the same... we're both 3x vax, & recovered from Om.... starting to make solid plans for our May land/cruise trip & actually getting excited about it..  it hasn't been a fun few weeks,  but I'm truly seeing light at the end of the tunnel for some of us...  we'll continue to lay low for next few weeks, & then get back to the more normal life we were living up until late November... can't wait 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WI Polar Bear said:

We were scheduled on the Silhouette Jan 14. but are now going to cancel. I just called our Travel Insurer (Allianz). I asked if the recent CDC announcement that no one should cruise means that our policy would not cover us on a cruise. The answer was that it would not cover us. Here is the wording in our policy as an exclusion, 

"The following conditions and exclusions apply:

d. You must not have traveled against the orders or advice of any government or other public authority at any location to, from, or through which you are traveling on your trip." 

I have not found this in my travel insurance policy yet (still looking). I have an AXA policy.

If I found it in mine I would also cancel my cruise.

We moved a booking today from 3/07 to 3/28/22.  That extends the final payment period for 3 more weeks.  Will reevaluate in three weeks prior to final payment for the 3/28 cruise. Normally, we book thru a TA.  This booking is over 4 years old and has been shuffled around by Celebrity because of deployment and Covid.  The original TA is out of business so this transferred back to Celebrity.  It took three hours on the phone and three reps to get it done.  So, don't wait until the last minute.

10 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

We moved a booking today from 3/07 to 3/28/22.  That extends the final payment period for 3 more weeks.  Will reevaluate in three weeks prior to final payment for the 3/28 cruise. Normally, we book thru a TA.  This booking is over 4 years old and has been shuffled around by Celebrity because of deployment and Covid.  The original TA is out of business so this transferred back to Celebrity.  It took three hours on the phone and three reps to get it done.  So, don't wait until the last minute.

I totally understand your "Wait & sea, attitude."

May I ask, "How were you able to move it?"  I had to cancel and was told 45 days until FCC posts.  I want to re-book now for Spring, but have no FCC in my hand to do so.

Thanks,

-Sunny

2 minutes ago, Sunny Pearl said:

I totally understand your "Wait & sea, attitude."

May I ask, "How were you able to move it?"  I had to cancel and was told 45 days until FCC posts.  I want to re-book now for Spring, but have no FCC in my hand to do so.

Thanks,

-Sunny

sorry, I didn't see the rest of your post.  Hmmmm, I've been speaking with a U.S. Celebrity vacation planner and he didn't offer "moving the booking." I even told him that's what I wanted.

4 minutes ago, Sunny Pearl said:

sorry, I didn't see the rest of your post.  Hmmmm, I've been speaking with a U.S. Celebrity vacation planner and he didn't offer "moving the booking." I even told him that's what I wanted.

Several have said they have called multiple times with the same request/question etc. and often time receive a totally different response depending on who they speak with.  I say keep trying and see what happens on your next call.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WI Polar Bear said:

We were scheduled on the Silhouette Jan 14. but are now going to cancel. I just called our Travel Insurer (Allianz). I asked if the recent CDC announcement that no one should cruise means that our policy would not cover us on a cruise. The answer was that it would not cover us. Here is the wording in our policy as an exclusion, 

"The following conditions and exclusions apply:

d. You must not have traveled against the orders or advice of any government or other public authority at any location to, from, or through which you are traveling on your trip." 

Hey everyone. My TA called Allianz and now they say that the person to whom I spoke was incorrect. There was a later correction and our cruise is indeed covered despite the CDC order. Therefore we will not be canceling our cruise next week! Sorry if I misled anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DragonflyCruiser said:

I called Celebrity. The person was wonderful. I just rebooked something for next year and all was transferred over to the new booking. Even kept on board credits. If you cancel then you will get FCC. Easier to rebook and deal with this all later. 

Not so for us. We called Celebrity to see if we could move our 1/24/22 cruise on the Constellation to the 12/12/22 on the Constellation. The total cost for the January cruise was about $400 over the December cruise. We were able to upgrade to Aqua class and still have the $400 above what we paid for the January cruise. Everything came out to $0 owed. The $400 was 'lost money' according to the agent, but we were in a higher class cabin which made my wife happy. I was willing to go along with that.

Now for the problem we are having. Even though I got an invoice for $0 owed, the online showed $352 owed for gratuities. I called and got that straightened out back to an invoice of $0 owed. Next a minus $330 charge showed up on the online screen. I thought that was a bit odd, but it was a minus charge. I checked a couple of days later and the minus charge had been changed to $330 owed. I have called twice to get this removed to no avail as the agents stated that another department would handle this and they would pass along the request. Nothing yet has happened, so I sent Celebrity customer service an email about the charge....still waiting. It appears the charge has something to do with a surcharge of some sort which no one can explain at Celebrity.

53 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Not so for us. We called Celebrity to see if we could move our 1/24/22 cruise on the Constellation to the 12/12/22 on the Constellation. The total cost for the January cruise was about $400 over the December cruise. We were able to upgrade to Aqua class and still have the $400 above what we paid for the January cruise. Everything came out to $0 owed. The $400 was 'lost money' according to the agent, but we were in a higher class cabin which made my wife happy. I was willing to go along with that.

Now for the problem we are having. Even though I got an invoice for $0 owed, the online showed $352 owed for gratuities. I called and got that straightened out back to an invoice of $0 owed. Next a minus $330 charge showed up on the online screen. I thought that was a bit odd, but it was a minus charge. I checked a couple of days later and the minus charge had been changed to $330 owed. I have called twice to get this removed to no avail as the agents stated that another department would handle this and they would pass along the request. Nothing yet has happened, so I sent Celebrity customer service an email about the charge....still waiting. It appears the charge has something to do with a surcharge of some sort which no one can explain at Celebrity.

Others have complained about a glitch happening. When we moved the reservation, she sai it would be about 10 days to get the final receipt. How long ago did you change?  So sorry!  Hopefully you have time to straighten it all out. I think they have gremlins in the system. 

We're not cancelling.  Sailing on the Reflection at the end of the month, but for the first time I'm bringing my work phone and computer.  If I'm stuck in quarantine, I might as well get some vacation days back and work from sea with a drink in hand. 🙂

• Like 2

We just reluctantly cancelled our 1/24/22 cruise on the Silhouette.  Our T/A credited all taxes and Celebrity air back to our card and the rest is FCC.  We were unwilling to wear a mask for 11 days and miss some of our ports.   We were also a bit nervous about sitting 7 hours on a plane.  So now I get to do what I love and get busy planning our next cruise.  I am a bit disappointed that the Silhouette is changing its itinerary to be out of Miami.  But we will for sure find just the right one.   

Edited by earlydiner

Just cancelled a Celebrity Edge cruise for 2/06/22. Too many unknowns. We felt too uncomfortable to proceed. Feeling very confident in our decision to push back the cruise using the FCC we’ll receive. Hopefully the Covid variants and spread will  calm down in 3 - 6 months. Fingers, eyes and toes crossed. 

4 minutes ago, Veinless said:

We cancelled on Friday but the cruise is still showing for us on Celebrity’s site under Upcoming Cruises. Is this normal? 

Also as a follow-up question, did you receive an email confirming the cancellation?  I purchased a cruise vacation for my niece and her family, but they have decided to postpone until the Covid profile improves.  My TA said that she cancelled through Celebrity but that it takes several days to show up.  Since we are quickly approaching the 48 hour deadline, I would just like some type of confirmation.

FYI: I cancelled a week ago and 1 week later I received a 100% refund on my credit card for my Celebrity airfare. Pretty good service I would say, I await in 45 days my FCC snd refund for taxes snd port fees. Hopefully this will be as excellently handled. Will use FCC by 5/31 on my 8/8 Beyond cruise out of Rome as long as as another variant doesn’t foul things up.