Anthem of the Seas LIVE 1/9

On 1/13/2022 at 12:23 PM, toad455 said:

The Solarium Bistro is typically empty anyways on a full ship for dinner. I was surprised to see it would be open for this cruise. No loss for it being shutdown.

This was more my point.  Thank you, toad.  They probably made the decision to deploy their stretched-thin crew elsewhere.

We did the 4x4 Safari yesterday in Antigua.  It was suppose to be off road through the rain forest  cit was not.  Just an island tour on road with an hour beach stop.  We complained to the shore excursion desk and they said we were not the only complaints.  Gave us $30 credit.

11 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

We had dinner in the MDR (Silk) tonight and had a great meal. Every dish was tasty and cooked just right. 

Seafood Risotto. 

IMG_20220114_201526_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.0c498b97823c52f144bb8657447ec7d5.jpg

Cream of Asparagus Soup. 

IMG_20220114_201551_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.27e333b9f73e4072b7ac34527daefc3e.jpg

Caesar Salad. 

IMG_20220114_202203_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.efc0fdf3e3bb810a0fa708af2d6b83f1.jpg

Pan-seared Red Snapper. 

IMG_20220114_203239_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.898139feef8d88f3cacf4ca94cbe8784.jpg

Fish curry and vegetable curry. Off menu. 

IMG_20220114_203251_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.601167ad7ae6f7ab2f1b0d3d78e198a7.jpg

Artichoke Crepes Fontina. 

IMG_20220114_203257_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.bef00c376d5a816ce640a26fc8b6b830.jpg

Chocolate Mousse. 

IMG_20220114_205857_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.c60d0013d5c7eb8628d690595036867c.jpg

Boston Cream Pie. But it's actually a cake and tastes like a donut. 

IMG_20220114_205904_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.bca9a34f9ed0b793f1a14ea852e6132e.jpg

That's what Boston Creme Pie is. 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, CPT Trips said:

Which is likely to be the reason that shut. Use those crew to fill in at other kitchens which my be short staffed. 
Also, it kind of cute how some bicker.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

This was more my point.  Thank you, toad.  They probably made the decision to deploy their stretched-thin crew elsewhere.

Et tu?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadameGorgeous said:

Is there a long parking area with a guard station at the end at that terminal? Then you walk out onto a roadway?

In Bridgetown, yes. Fairly good-sized indoor market at the terminal, where you might find free wifi.

Just now, Biker19 said:

In Bridgetown, yes. Fairly good-sized indoor market at the terminal, where you might find free wifi.

I just realized my description was of every terminal, parking lot, guard station and roadway haha

but do you remember a Malibu Beach club right nearby? You could walk there, it was a pretty decent beach. I’m told I got way hammered there on rum, but I don’t remember that. 

5 minutes ago, MadameGorgeous said:

You could walk there, it was a pretty decent beach.

How walkable something is can be very subjective - the walk to the Mount Gay distillery is fairly far (almost a mile) already and any beach would be farther than that - don't recall a Malibu beach.

Edited by Biker19

25 minutes ago, MadameGorgeous said:

Was the cab driver outside of the terminal, like before, or did you book ahead? Can’t wait to see where you went!

They were right outside of the terminal. We just followed the signs for TAXI. 

They were charging per person, so they wait until they get more to fill their cab -or-you can pay a bit extra to take off right away with only your party, which is what we did. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How walkable something is can be very subjective - the walk to the Mount Gay distillery is fairly far (almost a mile) already and any beach would be farther than that - don't recall a Malibu beach.

Yes the Malibu Beach Club was definitely to far for us to walk.

The Malibu factory right by the beach and you could book a tour round it.

We shared a taxi there and back with a couple who were doing a beach day also.

From memory it was about $8 each way.

• Like 1

I didn't take any photos today, as it was such a short day in port and I wanted to eat up every minute. 

We got off the ship about 20 minutes after we docked. There was a huge line for people waiting on the free shuttle to the terminal, so we walked and arrived before anyone in line. It was less than a ten minute walk. Once in the terminal, we just followed the signs for TAXI. Make sure you establish how many are in your group and whether or not you want a private taxi and just let them know. They seem to just assume everyone is in large groups or wants to wait for more people to keep it cheaper. So if you just want a private taxi, tell them. 

Unless you have mobility issues, it seems best to just walk to the terminal so you can beat the crowds. 

We went to a small portion of Sandy Lane Beach, which is on Paynes Bay. Here, you can snorkel with sea turtles. The best sand and beach is a bit further south than we went but we wanted to go somewhere with cheap and good drinks and food so settled a bit further north at Surfside Bar and rented some chairs. The water was perfect, warm, crystal clear but the sand is just slightly rough and there's large, smooth, flat rocks on the bottom. The rum punch is only $4.50USD and is in small cups but it packs a punch. They also sell it in bulk if you're interested. We had a great time and I stayed in the water the entire time. If you want a larger stretch of the white sand, stick to the main stretch of Sandy Lane that's further south. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Yes the Malibu Beach Club was definitely to far for us to walk.

The Malibu factory right by the beach and you could book a tour round it.

We shared a taxi there and back with a couple who were doing a beach day also.

From memory it was about $8 each way.

We were young and it was too far to walk back drunk, I know that. That’s the only time I ever skipped a dinner on any ship. 🤢 

On our 12/12 cruise, walking from the ship to the terminal was not an option. There was a lot of activity on the pier, reprovisioning and turnaround day for some other ships that were in port as well as construction on the pier. We were also the furthest ship out.

38 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

On our 12/12 cruise, walking from the ship to the terminal was not an option. There was a lot of activity on the pier, reprovisioning and turnaround day for some other ships that were in port as well as construction on the pier. We were also the furthest ship out.

We were the farthest ship out today. And there was also P&O Britannia turning around today. But no issues walking. It may depend which pier you dock at, though. We were on the outer-most. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, PiperHolliday said:

We did some beach hopping today in Antigua with one of Lawrence's drivers. Antigua is gorgeous with many nearly perfect beaches. They have one beach for every day of the year. 

Long Bay. This was unanimously our favorite beach. The water is calm and crystal clear. The sand is white and soft. Most people there were locals and there is a reef to snorkel. 

IMG_20220114_093612.thumb.jpg.0bd22899b1f6bfde9c1a2811f36355d7.jpgIMG_20220114_093633.thumb.jpg.d996bc74bdf11fd363324778fb4e9d92.jpg

Turner Beach. This was another amazing beach. The water is a beautiful electric turquoise and the sand is lush and soft. We were the only ones there for most of the visit. 

IMG_20220114_105346.thumb.jpg.8a653fc2303ed3b9758d43532bf411e0.jpgIMG_20220114_105902.thumb.jpg.8b8448fd2462aa07ee2169cbb9a3ad66.jpgIMG_20220114_105912.thumb.jpg.994aceaf6ded4b7caa45c20025da30a0.jpg

Valley Church Beach. I really loved the setting of this beach with cliffs and hills. The water was again that beautiful turquoise. But the sand was rough and it was very pebbly in the water. Also, because of the significant drop-off, it's a bit deeper near shore and the water stays colder. If you move down the shore in either direction, the sand gets a bit better in the water. 

IMG_20220114_122237.thumb.jpg.a539a18165ff560e40fc8a452533f773.jpg

Oh man!! 

These beaches are perfection.  Absolutely gorgeous, 

got to keep them in mind, hope to visit them one day.

Thank you so much for the pictures.