Anthem of the Seas LIVE 1/9

Thanks, Piper, for letting me put my two cents into this thread, too.

The only problem we had with the food was breakfasts.  We only went to the WJ once and although there were less people on this cruise, there were also less tables you could use.  For every one that was available there seems to be 3 that were unavailable for distance.  Didn't like searching around for an available table.

So we went to the MDR for the other breakfasts.  They don't put you at your regular table with your regular waiter but whatever is available.  I don't want to seem harsh but it seemed that we did not ever get one breakfast meal right.  Either they forgot something and we had to wait and whatever we ordered got cold.  Or it came out cold, like oatmeal.  Also the menu is pretty limited but we knew that.

The dinnertime meals in the MDR were very good.  Our waiter, Ywa, from Indonesia was wonderful and our assistant waiter, Leo, was great too.  Unfortunately on the day the boat was rocking badly, he slipped with a tray of plates and glasses and was hurt so he wasn't there for the last two nights.  Hope he has a speedy recovery.  We gave his tip to the head waiter who will see that he gets it.

There were two great shows on the final night.  In the Royal Theater there was Frankie and the Dreamers again but this time there were three Dreamers and it made the harmonizing of the Four Seasons' songs more enjoyable.  Don't miss them.  Then later there was another performance of the Beatle Celebration band in Two70.  They did a few more obscure Beatle songs, but as a teenager in the 60's I remembered all of them and happily sang along.  Not the best Beatle cover band but thoroughly enjoyed their performances.

• Like 1

while disembarking, noticed people for the next cruise getting dropped off at around 8:30am. Why are people showing up so early for boarding? Especially when it's cold and snowing outside! They do not and will not let you in early.

26 minutes ago, toad455 said:

while disembarking, noticed people for the next cruise getting dropped off at around 8:30am. Why are people showing up so early for boarding? Especially when it's cold and snowing outside! They do not and will not let you in early.

Some of them have early flights in and for some reason feel they need to go directly to the port.  Hopefully they brought blankets!!

2 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

We did self-walk this morning at 7:00 and getting off the ship was quick, simple and easy. CBP (per usual for cruises) was almost non-existent, which is very convenient for us. 

This was my only time sailing from Bayonne, so I'm not sure if it's usually like this, but it seems best to arrange your transportation ahead of time if you didn't drive yourself. Taxis charge $65 plus tolls just to go to EWR, which is comical. We arranged a Lyft XL for $30, tolls included. You can do this ahead of time in the app. When we arrived, we checked availability for Lyft and Uber and neither had drivers readily available. 

We got to EWR quickly and are now seated on our 10AM flight home. 

PIPER, thanks again for the great updates!!  Threads like this will be a huge help for those on the fence about cruising.  While it is not for everyone and I can genuinely respect that, you may look back and say it was one of your best vacations ever during these trying times!!  Safe travels back home

• Like 2

Hi Piper. 

Thank you so much for this live account.  I’ve loved clicking on in the evening for the daily update on ports closures and rocky waves to beautiful beaches and mouth watering pictures of your ordered food. We are sailing the 31st, we were slightly apprehensive about sailing but now we are really excited. 
many thanks again. 
gill x 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:15 AM, boscobeans said:

L.I. Iced tea.. HaHa.  The cocktail version of a Jahn's Kitchen Sink. Great drink

Great drink, had a couple too many on a Quantum cruise back in 2015, spent a significant amount of time sleeping on the bathroom floor. Haven’t had one since!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 12:15 PM, toad455 said:

Probably a good question to have asked them if you're curious.  I can't imagine many on hear knowing (or caring) what their reason was.

Edited by bucfan2

I can’t say thank you enough for the info in this thread! Including your amazing reviews of food! Great info to help make choices for our cruise on the Anthem January 31 😃

On 1/20/2022 at 7:57 AM, PiperHolliday said:

We did self-walk this morning at 7:00 and getting off the ship was quick, simple and easy. CBP (per usual for cruises) was almost non-existent, which is very convenient for us. 

This was my only time sailing from Bayonne, so I'm not sure if it's usually like this, but it seems best to arrange your transportation ahead of time if you didn't drive yourself. Taxis charge $65 plus tolls just to go to EWR, which is comical. We arranged a Lyft XL for $30, tolls included. You can do this ahead of time in the app. When we arrived, we checked availability for Lyft and Uber and neither had drivers readily available. 

We got to EWR quickly and are now seated on our 10AM flight home. 

Hello Piper

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on February 11, 2022. We did sail last September on the Oasis. We are 7 adults. Last September we weren't aware that there was a dining room for only vaccinated guests. I saw your copy of the Cruise Compass. We have traditional main dining seating reserved for 5:30pm. Would you happen to know if the American Icon, Silk or Grande Dining rooms are for fully vaccinated guests.

Thank you so much!

41 minutes ago, CTSRJS said:

Hello Piper

We are sailing out of Cape Liberty on February 11, 2022. We did sail last September on the Oasis. We are 7 adults. Last September we weren't aware that there was a dining room for only vaccinated guests. I saw your copy of the Cruise Compass. We have traditional main dining seating reserved for 5:30pm. Would you happen to know if the American Icon, Silk or Grande Dining rooms are for fully vaccinated guests.

Thank you so much!

Hi CTSRJS

I was on January 20th sailing and Silk was used for unvaccinated guests. American Icon had the Early seating and my time dining after that.

Hope this helps.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:31 PM, CTSRJS said:

Hello Piper

Thank you so much!

On my Anthem sailing in January we sat in the American Icon for traditional dining at 530 pm - fully vaxxed and well spaced out if you want to be.    I think Grande was also for fully vaxxed.

37 minutes ago, CTSRJS said:

Hello

Does anyone recall what the capacity was on your January cruise on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty? Last September we were very lucky on the Oasis. It was only 1/3 full!

Thanks to all!

For Jan 9th sailing we had 1623 passengers (37.7% capacity) and something like 1390 crew members.    I believe the Jan 20th sailing had a little over 1800 passengers.    

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

For Jan 9th sailing we had 1623 passengers (37.7% capacity) and something like 1390 crew members.    I believe the Jan 20th sailing had a little over 1800 passengers.    

The info I had was a little less than 1600 on the 9th and a little less than 2100 on  the 20th.  I heard the Captain making an announcement of numbers for the crew as we B2Bers were walking aboard.  20th also had 75 children aboard.

19 minutes ago, hancock said:

The info I had was a little less than 1600 on the 9th and a little less than 2100 on  the 20th.  I heard the Captain making an announcement of numbers for the crew as we B2Bers were walking aboard.  20th also had 75 children aboard.

I was in the computer room while there was the Q & A session with the Captain in 270 and that is where he said 1623 passengers .    I was suppose to be on the sailing for the 20th for a b2b but had to cancel due to computer/internet issues.     I knew someone on that sailing and she was told a little over 1800 passengers were on board for that sailing.    I think the sailing for Jan 9th had around 45 children.

Whatever it actually was I thoroughly enjoyed.    Did not feel crowded anywhere and WJ was empty most morning when I got there around 7:30 or 8 am.    

• Like 1