Anthem of the Seas LIVE 1/9

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

That's hilarious.  Did you think they were going to break into dirty deeds done dirt cheap halfway through?

Would you consider seeing this version of High Voltage again?  the Music hall bands are usually spectacular.

I can tell you that the AC/DC cover band High Voltage is excellent and would be perfect for this setting.

I saw them every night during the NYE cruise. Very extensive playlist. Rock to Pop To Classics to Latin Rock (they are from Argentina). High musical IQ They even play some crazy Jazz/Latin/Fusion. But can't find any social media presence.

• Like 1

Just a couple questions.  First, are they servicing cabins twice daily?  On our last cruise they didn't do turn down unless requested.  The turn down didn't bother me - I was just upset not to be surprised with a towel animal each night 😂.

Also, if you have it, how is the surf and stream internet?  Have you tried making a wifi phone call?

We've been apprehensive about our upcoming cruise on the 20th but you're calming my nerves a lot.

4 minutes ago, Megamixer said:

I was just upset not to be surprised with a towel animal each night 😂.

Also, if you have it, how is the surf and stream internet?  Have you tried making a wifi phone call?

Both tiers of VOOM should support acceptable quality voice calls. 

Biker, who was upset his Anthem cabin attendant kept making towel animals when requested not to.😂

23 minutes ago, Megamixer said:

Just a couple questions.  First, are they servicing cabins twice daily?  On our last cruise they didn't do turn down unless requested.  The turn down didn't bother me - I was just upset not to be surprised with a towel animal each night 😂.

We've been apprehensive about our upcoming cruise on the 20th but you're calming my nerves a lot.

Yes. I made several WiFi calls for work, and my wife phoned her family using WhatsApp.

Our cabin was made up in the AM , and steward would come in afternoon to drop off Cruise Compass , tidy up, and leave some towel animals.

Also brush up on your phones Hotspot function if it has it. 😉

5 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Yes. I made several WiFi calls for work, and my wife phoned her family using WhatsApp.

Our cabin was made up in the AM , and steward would come in afternoon to drop off Cruise Compass , tidy up, and leave some towel animals.

Also brush up on your phones Hotspot function if it has it. 😉

My tablet has Hotspot option and we have already tested it 😁.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee about the towel animals.  30 years of cruising and it's still one of my thrills.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Does Anthem VOOM allow connection to Cisco AnyConnect VPN?

Anthems VOOM surf+stream only occasionally would drop my Cisco AnyConnect VPN. I use my laptop quite often and would never conect without a vpn and pineapple.

• Thanks 1

We woke up late again and went to the Windjammer for lunch. I was somewhat surprised at the small size, as I've heard several people say it's really big. For a ship this size, it was too small. I didn't really like anything I had there. Most things were tasteless, no seasoning, no salt. Everything was still edible, and surprisingly not overdone. I'll be back to try some other dishes and see how it goes. I want to give it another chance. So far, I'd place it on par with my experiences in Carnival buffets. Every other line I've been on has had better buffets than both. 

We also went up to deck 14 today to enjoy the pool and hot tub. Enjoy? Well, that wasn't so easy. It was packed. Full chairs all around, people everywhere. Only the covered pool (with the roof closed) and the Solarium had space. It really turned me off from RCCL because if this is how it is when the ship is only 30-40% full, I would absolutely hate to sail on one of these ships at full capacity. That wouldn't be a vacation, it sounds like torture. This was the first time the ship has felt busy. 

We opted for the Solarium and had a pretty decent time. Mask compliance was not really adhered to by as many people as before, but staff were actually enforcing it when they noticed. The humidity/warmth in there made masks feel a bit hot. 

After three days on the ship, I've come to the realization that the drinks onboard are very weak. I'm a lightweight and don't drink much unless I'm on vacation. I can hardly get drunk on this ship. I have to actually try. Whereas one cocktail at a restaurant back home (or on my recent cruises on other lines) and I'm feeling it. I'm really liking RCCL less and less...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since you mentioned drinks I would like to know about your variety of drink choices which you have shown in pictures. You showed a strawberry blonde, a Caribbean mule, and one with a cherry you had in the hot tub (name?), also the reinvented cosmo and Rita. When I go on vacation I like to try out new drinks (being a wine and a cosmo drinker usually). What other interesting drinks do Anthem bartenders make? Are you as well versed in drink variety as you are in food choice or are these a bartender’s suggestion? Anthem has been my home away from home in January for the last 5 years. You are on my cancelled cruise so thanks for taking me along. Try Star class next time. You will change your opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PiperHolliday said:

We woke up late again and went to the Windjammer for lunch. I was somewhat surprised at the small size, as I've heard several people say it's really big. For a ship this size, it was too small. I didn't really like anything I had there. Most things were tasteless, no seasoning, no salt. Everything was still edible, and surprisingly not overdone. I'll be back to try some other dishes and see how it goes. I want to give it another chance. So far, I'd place it on par with my experiences in Carnival buffets. Every other line I've been on has had better buffets than both. 

We also went up to deck 14 today to enjoy the pool and hot tub. Enjoy? Well, that wasn't so easy. It was packed. Full chairs all around, people everywhere. Only the covered pool (with the roof closed) and the Solarium had space. It really turned me off from RCCL because if this is how it is when the ship is only 30-40% full, I would absolutely hate to sail on one of these ships at full capacity. That wouldn't be a vacation, it sounds like torture. This was the first time the ship has felt busy. 

We opted for the Solarium and had a pretty decent time. Mask compliance was not really adhered to by as many people as before, but staff were actually enforcing it when they noticed. The humidity/warmth in there made masks feel a bit hot. 

After three days on the ship, I've come to the realization that the drinks onboard are very weak. I'm a lightweight and don't drink much unless I'm on vacation. I can hardly get drunk on this ship. I have to actually try. Whereas one cocktail at a restaurant back home (or on my recent cruises on other lines) and I'm feeling it. I'm really liking RCCL less and less...

PIPER, if you are finding the drinks are weak and you have the drink package, be sure to ask for a floater on top of your frozen drink or ask them to double things up when they are making it.  A dollar here and and dollar there goes a long way too.  Visiting the same bartender does not hurt either.  Once they know your gig they will usually be good to you.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

Try ordering with a float, or side shot.  Or classic cocktails like martinis and old fashioneds. This is not RCCL specific — we’ve had the same experience on NCL ships.  

Edited by 3kidsncats

9 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

That's hilarious.  Did you think they were going to break into dirty deeds done dirt cheap halfway through?

Would you consider seeing this version of High Voltage again?  the Music hall bands are usually spectacular.

I can tell you that the AC/DC cover band High Voltage is excellent and would be perfect for this setting.

The Aerosmith tribute band they had for the first part of the 12/12 cruise cured me of tribute banditis. 
High Voltage is top notch. Good musically and ready to expand their set list. At their early set I asked for a song which they didn’t know. A couple hours later at their late set the keyboardist saw me, pointed a thumbs up, and the next number they did was my request. They checked it out on-line on their meal break . . .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

PIPER, if you are finding the drinks are weak and you have the drink package, be sure to ask for a floater on top of your frozen drink or ask them to double things up when they are making it.  A dollar here and and dollar there goes a long way too.  Visiting the same bartender does not hurt either.  Once they know your gig they will usually be good to you.  

We do make sure to tip the crew and they've mostly been really great about getting us drinks fast and making sure we're happy. But when we asked them to double up, we were told it's against policy. And honestly, I prefer not having to go through this much effort just for a good drink. It should just be good from the get-go. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Midway7934 said:

Since you mentioned drinks I would like to know about your variety of drink choices which you have shown in pictures. You showed a strawberry blonde, a Caribbean mule, and one with a cherry you had in the hot tub (name?), also the reinvented cosmo and Rita. When I go on vacation I like to try out new drinks (being a wine and a cosmo drinker usually). What other interesting drinks do Anthem bartenders make? Are you as well versed in drink variety as you are in food choice or are these a bartender’s suggestion? Anthem has been my home away from home in January for the last 5 years. You are on my cancelled cruise so thanks for taking me along. Try Star class next time. You will change your opinion.

My drink of choice is usually prosecco but I enjoy cocktails, as well. I prefer cocktails that are different and interesting so the 'exclusive' drinks at the specialty restaurants are probably my favorite. Tonight, I had the lavender martini at Chops and that's by far my favorite drink onboard. The one from the hot tub was a Miami Vice - piña colada and strawberry daiquiri in one glass. That's not something I would typically drink but I felt like having something frozen and sweet at the time. I'm really into craft cocktails but don't expect any cruise line to cater to that at all because it would require a lot of niche ingredients and that's just unrealistic. 

1 hour ago, lanaget said:

Hi, can you please tell me if you were required to do the Covid test in the middle of your cruise, and I mean before the 2 days prior to arrival? Wondering of there are mandatory passenger testing while cruising. Thanks 

Only if you're unvaccinated (aka a child). 

5 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

After 22 years of cruising on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and a few others I have not to my memory had a weak drink ??

Drinks like mojitos, gin and tonics, real martinis (not dessert drinks in a martini glass), straight spirits of all kinds and dark beers or ales are my choice.

I owned 2 bars in the past and know that my bartenders usually went a slight bit short on the pours when making the more "frilly" drinks where you barely would know a virgin cocktail from one with spirits.

Give your low powered drink back and tell the bartender it's too weak. SIMPLE

• Like 3

We ate at Chops tonight and overall, thought it was great. I think they are starting to get short-staffed for servers because they were really working their butts off and service was a bit slow but we didn't mind at all. They are doing all they can and still doing it with a smile. Our server was covering so many tables. Jewel of the Seas is on her way to meet us in St Maarten so we'll be doing some crew shuffling and maybe that will help them out. 

Sorry about the dark photos. It was very dark in the restaurant. 

Lavender Vodka Martini. Definitely my favorite drink on the ship. 

IMG_20220112_195518_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.60e87865959810ab01d49bd67c173eff.jpg

Jumbo Lump Crab Cake. Spicy and delicious. 

IMG_20220112_195943_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.0ef5c507d70d21eb7747f96241f7bbb9.jpg

Charred Beef Carpaccio. This was also very good. 

IMG_20220112_195953_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.da0b5e273b00a45de57858c9d37782ad.jpg

Grilled Black Pepper Bacon. Again, really tasty. 

IMG_20220112_200004_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.abc1951ad461ea16505c6a1690044263.jpg

Wild Mushroom Soup. 

IMG_20220112_201904_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.4813b016b9ba962ca3e78a41a49ec3ab.jpg

Lobster Bisque. 

IMG_20220112_201913_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.065c618b0c64bf4690877efaf5f402c6.jpg

Crispy Goat Cheese Salad. 

IMG_20220112_201952_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.656d54edb90f37c7eeb2e5e57a7917bc.jpg

Prime Bone-in Ribeye. Mine was cooked just right and tasted great. My friend's was overdone and chewy. But it was so big (1lb) so we just shared mine. 

IMG_20220112_204228_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.d168462eace711d8c366409ec5894b6c.jpg

Filet. This was fantastic and cooked perfectly. 

IMG_20220112_204244_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.b15de7ebe214b9040ffeb3b2875d1785.jpg

Our "shareable" sides were not shareable. They were quite small, but you can order as many of those as you'd like. The mac and cheese was pretty bad and made with what tasted like chemical liquid cheese. It belongs on a crappy buffet. The asparagus and gruyere tots were delicious.

IMG_20220112_204329_Bokeh.thumb.jpg.f7cad249c00c6fce4960d14b7992092d.jpg

I forgot to take photos of dessert because I was getting pretty tired. I had the red velvet cake and it was good. We will be going back to Chops in a few days to try the lamb. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

After 22 years of cruising on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and a few others I have not to my memory had a weak drink ??

Drinks like mojitos, gin and tonics, real martinis (not dessert drinks in a martini glass), straight spirits of all kinds and dark beers or ales are my choice.

I owned 2 bars in the past and know that my bartenders usually went a slight bit short on the pours when making the more "frilly" drinks where you barely would know a virgin cocktail from one with spirits.

Give your low powered drink back and tell the bartender it's too weak. SIMPLE

I've never felt the drinks were weak on any other cruise. This is the first time I've encountered this and it feels like I'm drinking crappy resort drinks in Mexico. Even a straight up highball is too weak.

Just because I don't drink on a weekly basis, doesn't mean I don't know about alcohol. I'm even WSET educated. 

And just because someone has owned a bar, does not mean they are the foremost expert in booze. Or integrity, apparently. I would not be okay going to a bar that shorts a jigger just because they think the customer can't tell. Shameful. 

But thanks for trying to insult my taste in drinks. 

Edited by PiperHolliday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, PiperHolliday said:

But thanks for trying to insult my taste in drinks. 

???????????????????????????????

My response:

"Give your low powered drink back and tell the bartender it's too weak. SIMPLE",

basically was, there is one thing ANYONE SHOULD DO whether at a bar or a restaurant and they are not happy with the product they are served.. SEND IT BACK.

If that is an insult, so be it. but it was not meant as one, but rather as an explanation of why a regular gin or vodka martini may be stronger than a chocolatini or a frozen peach daquiri may taste a lot less potent than a regular one.

Hope all your cruises and drinks are better in the future.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2