Drinks

NHCRUISIN

1 minute ago, NHCRUISIN said:

Have the premium drink package, what are peoples recommendations for drinks on the ship, looking to try new drinks.

What do you normally drink? 

I like trying a variety of wines.  I like challenge the sommelier with choosing the wine to go with my meal selection and not repeating a wine unless I request something specific.

On our last cruise I sampled a variety of scotches.  I normally drink rum or bourbon because I’ve only found one or two scotches that did not taste like dirt (high peat content) to me.   So feel free to step outside the box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NHCRUISIN said:

Have the premium drink package, what are peoples recommendations for drinks on the ship, looking to try new drinks.

Hit the Martini Bar... You'll find a great selection to make your way through. 😄

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Hit the Martini Bar... You'll find a great selection to make your way through. 😄

And when you have gone through the menu ask the bartenders to come up with some different ones. It was my friends birthday on one of our cruises so they made us a birthday cake martini.

Laura

Some really good wines by the glass under $15, on the Equinox in August, and never had to buy a bottle with meals.  In the Luminae our wine glasses were never empty and a couple of times the sommelier opened a new bottle and left it at our table for dinner. I drank many whiskey drinks with the premium American whiskeys on board like Maker Mark and Woodruff Reserve.

2 hours ago, NHCRUISIN said:

As a previous poster mentioned it depends a bit on what you like.   But I can tell you my "plan".   I enjoy liquor, wine and beer.   

My predinner cocktail will be something whiskey based.   So an Old-fashioned or Manhatten.   Probably an interesting Bourbon or Scotch over an ice cube.    A glass of wine with dinner for sure.   And maybe a glass of port for dessert.  

The toughest for me is to pick a poolside drink during the day.   A gin and tonic would be a good choice but I am not a big fan of gin and so will likely enjoy an ice cold lager.   

All subject to change!

4 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

The toughest for me is to pick a poolside drink during the day.   A gin and tonic would be a good choice but I am not a big fan of gin and so will likely enjoy an ice cold lager.   

Vodka and tonic works just as well. 

Poolside you may want to also consider a margherita on the rocks, mint julep, or a 'top shelf's long Island ice tea. 

• Like 1

• Try the good bourbons.   The Bullit and Woodford Double Oaked is very good.
  • If you like martini's, definitely do the martini bar.
  • The good cognacs are great, especially with a good cigar.
  • During the day, at the pool, we like a fruity drink.   
    • A Blue Hawaiian is always good.
    • We tried a Yellow Bird for the first time last sailing.    Yummy.
  • Ask the bartender what he/she likes to make.

• Like 2

Feel free to ask the bartenders for suggestions. They can do some fairly amazing things even with only a few, vague guidelines. They'll often continue to tailor suggestions once they get to know you a little more.

Also ask them what they like to make. Many have drinks that they've developed on their own. The guys at the Martini Bar, but ask everywhere. The bartenders move around, so don't think that the Martini Bar is the only place to find creativity. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

25 th anniversary martini. It's another $1 ,plus gratuities over the premium package 

• Like 1

My go to is going to be a Petron Margarita followed closely by a Gentleman Jack and Ginger. Of course I never pass on a Crown Royal on ice.

Not a wine connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always found some wines to my liking. 

Poolside i try to stay away from the sweet cocktail and stick with beer. During dinner it's a white sangria. Bailey's and coffee with dessert. The rest of the night its Silver Patron margaritas. My husband does Grey goose martini's or Ron Zacapa 23 on the rocks.

I like to compile a list of drinks that I’ve heard recommended by others, and I try to work my way through the list during my next cruise. 
Some of the new drinks I tried on my last cruise were a BBC, Dark ‘n’ Stormy, and a frozen mojito. I’m  a sucker for anything with ginger in it, and I love Domaine de Canton! 

Order off of the drink menus.   There are plenty of suggestions.   After a few you will be able to determine what looks appealing.

Look at what others are drinking.   Ask them what it is.  This is also a good conversation starter.   I have met many doing that and became ship friends 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

I asked for several drinks on X and the bartenders were not familiar or could not make them, i.e. White Russian.

Wow -- I guess I do not order many off the wall drinks but a bartender that does not know how to make a White Russian needs to go back to remedial training. 

• Like 1

BTW --  if you like bourbon, rum, scotch, or any other beverage on the rocks, stop by the World Class bar and see if they have it.  Make sure to ask for the single round piece of ice.  It's the best way to cool a shot of your favorite and does not water down like regular ice cubes. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

BTW --  if you like bourbon, rum, scotch, or any other beverage on the rocks, stop by the World Class bar and see if they have it.  Make sure to ask for the single round piece of ice.  It's the best way to cool a shot of your favorite and does not water down like regular ice cubes. 

The Ensemble also has a nice selection.