The new 'enhancements' to the Latitudes tiers are actually a downgrade! More NICkLE and DIMING!!!

fstuff1

New benefits:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program#tier_benefits

Platinums and above lost their free internet minutes! (Platinum 30min, Platinum plus 60min, Ambassador 100min)

Now we have a discount to buy minutes. 😞 😡

More Nickle and Diming! (see sig)

hopefully those who booked before this new plan came out still get their free internet minutes.

(knowing ncl, i doubt it)

• Like 4

Im platinum, am more upset of losing the priority at check in. On NCL's official social media page with the big announcement, comments of people that seem to be so happy, I guess they are just happy to level-up. Im hoping others will post there if they are upset about these changes.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Platinums and above lost their free internet minutes! (Platinum 30min, Platinum plus 60min, Ambassador 100min)

What bothers me (I buy the unlimited package) is they jacked the price before offering the discount.  I spent ~$80 to upgrade for a 7 day cruise.  Same package, 10 days, $150 after my Platinum discount.  It amounts to a few bucks a day so it's just an annoyance.  

21 minutes ago, wetcoast said:

Im platinum, am more upset of losing the priority at check in. 

You didn't.  It's still listed.  Not sure if it was recently added back, because I swore I missed it as well.

The wine tasting and priority booking are nice new perks.  We'll see how useful the pre-cruise service desk is (hopefully better than the "Concierge".)  All in all, it's a net neutral to positive for me and a lot better than I expected.  I was expecting them to cut at the Platinum level to better differentiate the Sapphire and Diamond levels but thankfully (for me) they didn't.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

New benefits:

hopefully those who booked before this new plan came out still get their free internet minutes.

LOL some people just hunt for reasons to complain!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Level six said:

It does say priority embarkation now..........so weird. 

Not weird, it wasn't there when I finally looked yesterday ... and, earlier today.  It's back in there, somehow, this evening - maybe a "clerical" error to omit that, shouldn't that be strategically next to priority disembarkation and priority tendering 🙄

They probably got an earful from some of their Latitude Ambassadors and newly minted Diamond members on taking away their Priority Embarkation perk with this new scheme ... odds are that that some of them are sailing in Haven and/or Suites anyway, but - to take away the boarding preference for only several dozens (maybe less as the #'s had been shrinking until the pandemic shutdown) Ambassadors, hmmm.  Those are your brand's million nautical miles cruisers like the airline FF clubs, but, of course, times have changed.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Not weird, it wasn't there when I finally looked yesterday ... and, earlier today.  It's back in there, somehow, this evening - maybe a "clerical" error to omit that, shouldn't that be strategically next to priority disembarkation and priority tendering 🙄

They probably got an earful from some of their Latitude Ambassadors and newly minted Diamond members on taking away their Priority Embarkation perk with this new scheme ... odds are that that some of them are sailing in Haven and/or Suites anyway, but - to take away the boarding preference for only several dozens (maybe less as the #'s had been shrinking until the pandemic shutdown) Ambassadors, hmmm.  Those are your brand's million nautical miles cruisers like the airline FF clubs, but, of course, times have changed.  

I don’t agree that this is a downgrade. It’s down to personal preference, and when things change there will always be winners (those who prefer to get a package and therefore will see a saving) and losers (those who just want a small amount of internet so would rather not have to make a purchase).

I can see why NCL have gone this way, as a discount is preferable to giving something for nothing, and it is certainly a negative for some, but for others it is an improvement.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

New benefits:

It's NCL.  What did you expect?

25 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

So if you are fine with it then everyone else must be too?  Wow.

It could also be argued that the people who are complaining about the change are assuming that just because they don’t like it then everyone else mustn’t.

Personally, I’m fairly neutral about it. On some cruises I will benefit and on others I will lose the convenience of those minutes. I can see both sides.

• Like 1

I've been Ambassador for several years. The free cruise is a joke and I never took it. My special gift has not arrived yet. Ambassador benefits have barely changed and there should be more in my opinion and seeing the new rewards is very disappointing. There is no incentive whatsoever to reach the highest loyalty tier.

• Like 3

There was another thread last week how priority boarding for latitude members was a joke.  I posted how sometimes the regular check in line was shortest. NCL makes everyone bronze after 1 cruise anyway.   IMHO priority boarding should mean something.  So I have no problem with giving those few upper tiers priority boarding with Haven. 

I am platinum and grateful for 2 free specialty dinners, ship tour, and a free bag of laundry.  Everything else is a wash.

I hope NCL does not read this but have always been shocked at not one but two specialty dinners for platinum.  That has real value.

I just wish NCL would give back some of the Haven perks they have removed over the years.  They have gotten a bit skimpy over the years.  I never could understand the logic behind 1 bottle of 32oz bottle of water.  Thats personal use and confused why others in the Haven suite dont get a bottle.  I am not complaining but its a bit odd to only give one bottle of water when there are others in the cabin?  I would say give one bottle per person in the cabin at least.  I am not even asking for the old days of getting 2: 1 liter bottles.  Its just weird.  Either no water or at least 1 bottle for each guest.  I guess they expect people to fight over it 😆

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

There was another thread last week how priority boarding for latitude members was a joke.  I posted how sometimes the regular check in line was shortest. NCL makes everyone bronze after 1 cruise anyway.   IMHO priority boarding should mean something.  So I have no problem with giving those few upper tiers priority boarding with Haven. 

I am platinum and grateful for 2 free specialty dinners, ship tour, and a free bag of laundry.  Everything else is a wash.

I hope NCL does not read this but have always been shocked at not one but two specialty dinners for platinum.  That has real value.

I just wish NCL would give back some of the Haven perks they have removed over the years.  They have gotten a bit skimpy over the years.  I never could understand the logic behind 1 bottle of 32oz bottle of water.  Thats personal use and confused why others in the Haven suite dont get a bottle.  I am not complaining but its a bit odd to only give one bottle of water when there are others in the cabin?  I would say give one bottle per person in the cabin at least.  I am not even asking for the old days of getting 2: 1 liter bottles.  Its just weird.  Either no water or at least 1 bottle for each guest.  I guess they expect people to fight over it 😆

Priority check in now starts with platinum level so bronze, silver, gold are not included. 

• Like 1

Any discussions about priority boarding tend to get confused between check in (very little benefit to going to that latitudes desks for the middle levels, and usually a slightly shorter queue at higher levels) and priority embarkation, which is a massive benefit for many who qualify.

We know that we don’t have to turn up at the port really early to get onboard first, which means we can get anything done that we need to (adjust restaurant bookings if necessary, etc) before most people have started boarding without having to rush to the port.

Any discussion on the subject of priority boarding is usually confused by people who aren’t aware of it and are just talking about check in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Good grief.  Doesn't everybody get free internet now?  On my last cruise I got something like 250 minutes and used seven.  Who cares?

psst.. not everyone pays full price like you.

before covid/sailing at 50% capacity, the solo 'sail away' price was $50/day.

i expect that pricing again once they raise capacity limits

This might be a silly question but when I booked I received latitude rewards of 60 min internet for both my DH and myself plus an internet package of 250 minutes for my May cruise.  Will they honor that still or will it suddenly be removed?  

I think I went from Bronze to Silver.  😂

Loyalty programs are cutting back everywhere in every industry.  This isn't new and it will continue to the point where they just don't matter anymore.  

I'm just happy to be on a ship, somewhere warm, with a drink in my hand.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

This might be a silly question but when I booked I received latitude rewards of 60 min internet for both my DH and myself plus an internet package of 250 minutes for my May cruise.  Will they honor that still or will it suddenly be removed?  

I assume the 250 minute package was free at sea, so that will be fine.

Assuming the 60 minutes was a latitude perk then I would expect not to receive it now. These perks are based on the offer at the time of sailing, rather than when booking, and if a company changes these perks between booking and sailing then they most likely won’t be honoured.

Having said that, maybe NCL have made a mistake by including this on the booking confirmations. You could make an argument that as this was on the confirmation then it forms part of the contract. Whether you would get anywhere with this is anyones guess (I suspect their T&Cs cover this), but I doubt you would be the only one trying it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

I assume the 250 minute package was free at sea, so that will be fine.

Assuming the 60 minutes was a latitude perk then I would expect not to receive it now. These perks are based on the offer at the time of sailing, rather than when booking, and if a company changes these perks between booking and sailing then they most likely won’t be honoured.

Having said that, maybe NCL have made a mistake by including this on the booking confirmations. You could make an argument that as this was on the confirmation then it forms part of the contract. Whether you would get anywhere with this is anyones guess (I suspect their T&Cs cover this), but I doubt you would be the only one trying it.

As of now they are both showing on my booking, maybe because I booked nearly a year ago and it might be grandfathered in.....

• Like 1