Cruising in the Time of Covid:  Explorer January 19 – February 4, 2022, San Diego to Miami

forgap

Well our excursion, Nature Encounter- Hike and Swim, was a 3/10 if I’m being generous.  Six hours with our departure at about 1:30.  It included “lunch” but the excursion desk called us to warn us that “lunch” would be late.  So, we started out in a small van with 7 passengers.  Of the seven, three were wearing masks below their noses.  I asked them to cover up, despite my pinkie swear that I wouldn’t do it in this volatile climate.  They complied for the most part and I kept telling myself that my mask was air tight. 

First stop:  cliff divers.  Very scenic with some manta rays jumping in the small bay.  We did not get the hotel treatment, so we sought out bits of shade, no seats and waited for the divers.  They were impressive so we were optimistic for the rest of the tour.  From there we traveled to a beach with lots of people frolicking in the ocean.  We got on a rickety boat to travel to an island for our nature hike.  G’s knees were giving him trouble so after barely getting into and out of the boat without falling or ramming our heads, we opted to sit and not hike.  Reports from our tour mates confirmed we had made the correct decision.  There was also a huge police presence everywhere.  Our guide explained there had been a riot after a refusal to pay a large bar bill, so they weren’t taking chances.  

Alcapulco seems to be past its prime as an international party spot.  Visiting luminaries were all from the 50’s and 60’s and now long dead.  But, it is only 3 hours from Mexico City so remains very popular as a national destination. 

At this point we were about three hours into the tour and we had a drive along the coast going from basic to more high end as we traveled.  We passed the ship along the way and lost two of our passengers.  The hotel restaurant for lunch was at a beach.  Lunch was mahi mahi and guacamole and a very welcome cervesa as we were hot and sticky. No one in our group was the least interested in another hour to “swim”, so we convinced our guide to take us back and added two more shipmates to our van who also wanted to get back to the ship. 

After a shower, I called for a bottle of champagne, the sun is setting, the breeze is gentle and warm and we are looking forward to a scenic sail away.  
2706CDE9-F0F7-44C3-997E-1B15E1E0A434.thumb.jpeg.f4736decfc050df941f7054ba10eacef.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Given similar observations from different posters about people ignoring mask rules on buses (and presumably other places based on reports from other threads), I would suggest a talk with the GM about this.  Apparently Regent is giving mixed messages to guests about the importance of following health and safety protocols.  Why endanger crew members and fellow guests? Guests know what the Covid-related rules are, so if they don't want to follow them, then why get on a ship?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Given similar observations from different posters about people ignoring mask rules on buses (and presumably other places based on reports from other threads), I would suggest a talk with the GM about this.  Apparently Regent is giving mixed messages to guests about the importance of following health and safety protocols.  Why endanger crew members and fellow guests? Guests know what the Covid-related rules are, so if they don't want to follow them, then why get on a ship?

I totally agree.  Whether masks are useful or not is irrelevant to enforcement. Give those old jeans in the dining room a try.  Request an ashtray for the cabin. In case of a shipboard emergency, choose your own life boats. No consequences from Captains equal no big deal. Annoying and disappointing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Our first stop once we boarded the ship after the experience in Acapulco was at the GM office. He politely heard our complaints about both the quality of the excursions and the lack of mask wearing. He said he cannot understand why educated people refuse to follow policy and basically said we were preaching to the choir. BUT, he said they can't control what happens on the bus and only offered to pass on our comments. We were not impressed with his reaction about either of our issues. I did suggest whoever at Regent sets up available excursions should prior vet them better. And like other posters, I fully agree the ship can enforce the masking rules. (We also mentioned that we left the one show we attended after a few minutes because people sat there unmasked with drinks on the table in order to not wear masks, even though they were not "actively drinking").

This is rapidly turning into a very extensive at sea cruise. We already turned in our excursion cards for the Guatemala replacement Mexican port - we will remain on board. And with my travel alert notifications, I received emails that raised to Level 4 the travel advisories for both Costa Rica and Colombia. So I wonder now if we will disembark at either port.

The cruise should perhaps be re-labeled the Panama Canal food review cruise as what we will eat for our next meal is our biggest decision😆.  Fortunately we love sea days and the peacefulness of watching the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regent reinstituted mask policy on Splendor on 18 December.  I asked at that time what the definition of "actively eating or drinking" was and never got a reply.  There were many reports (including a number by me from Splendor) of inconsistent enforcement of mask policy; you should not be surprised.  Many people (both pro mask and anti mask) chose to cancel their trips at last minute (thus the low passenger counts).

Marc

PS I am definitely anti-mask but I followed the rules onboard (though some might have thought I was "loose" with my definition of "actively" drinking).

PPS In 20 days onboard I never got off at any ports; decided not worth it.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

Last night we sat in our balcony during our sail-away from Acapulco.  The sun had set, we had flocks of sea birds circling the ship, and the lights on shore and in the distance beyond were beautiful.  It reminded me of San Francisco Bay without the bridges.  

We had fully intended to order room service after our tiring and discouraging day on shore, but decided at the last minute to get a light meal at Compass Rose.  Fresh snapper puttanesca was featured and we asked to share one small portion.  But first a small shaved fennel and greens salad with orange

6E2A6AE5-2B16-49FE-AE31-0DBF065EBCBF.thumb.jpeg.7fccccaf5c025dd4e9308e38dbae87c8.jpeg

and an Alaskan crab and avocado app.

06402F06-079F-42B7-9D1A-CF5982CA239C.thumb.jpeg.966b607765d3c8e6d0ffc916f2928b37.jpeg

All was delicious.  

Floating Island with pistachio crème anglaise was our shared dessert.  It was supposed to be all mine, but our observant and funny server brought an extra spoon “just in case”.  

Once again, we missed the evening entertainment.  

• Like 4

We expect to enjoy a beautiful day at sea today.  Hubby did his very intensive workout in the gym. I walked/jogged 3+ miles on deck 12 (note to self: next time apply sunscreen first, especially on my face)! The rest of the day will be composed of reading and testing in the shade alternating with timed sunbathing, and, of course, planning the menu for our next meal😊. For those who are interested in such things, here is the ship's schedule for the day 348145545_PXL_20220125_153146352_MP2.thumb.jpg.8168b864421c4a181bcdaf2ea302f139.jpg 600545150_PXL_20220125_153209169_MP2.thumb.jpg.ac02657f87c6d9467453954ac6d270ca.jpg

• Like 1

There are two things in my life that are worth the risk of being exposed to Covid—COLORADO STATE basketball and cruising.  We love both.  You can imagine how well college students at a basketball game follow our mask mandate.  We go and double mask and don’t eat or drink at the games.  If others won’t be courteous and try to protect us, then we will go the extra mile.

• Like 3

I am enjoying these reports.  Just catching up now.

I will say that I have been on that same exact excursion in Los Cabos, and the key is in San Jose del Cabo is to go to one of the restaurants and have a margarita--the shopping is definitely lacking.  

Has anyone on this thread been on the Puntarenas, Costa Rica aerial tram and rainforest adventure excursion? It says it is 7 hours, including a 1.5 hour bus ride each way. I'd like to know, given our experience so far, that this is a good excursion. It certainly sounds interesting! This is assuming we are allowed to disembark there given the now Level 4 travel advisory.

I think I mentioned that this is our 9th Regent cruise but our first on Explorer.  I love the decor and most of the artwork (but art is subjective).  Overall, the public venues are very well designed, very spacious, with glorious light coming in from floor to ceiling windows.  I think the darker palate is very elegant and the specialty restaurants are much better venues than the other ships.  I am less enamored with  Compass Rose.  It is a boxier shape, with higher ceilings and reminds me of a country club rather than a ship.  The same goes for the cabins.  We are in a concierge suite and I like it but it is shorter and wider so the sitting room area is very tight.  These are very minor observations and certainly not even worthy of a mention.  

On this cruise I find the staff more engaged and just lovely.  There have been no missteps in service.  They are really between a rock and a hard place concerning the health mandates.  I don’t want to beat a dead horse but we went to the enrichment lecture today and I’d say 25% were either not masked or showing their noses.  There was social distance, however, but the space is not ventilated.  I don’t know what it is with letting noses hang out.  I’m having the same outraged reaction as if they were flashing their private parts!  And, by the way, the enrichment lecturer was fantastic. He spoke on diminishing democracy.  Very thought provoking.  

Prime 7 is tonight.  Stay tuned! 

• Like 4

Mini rant while it’s on my mind:  the shower.  I don’t think that operating showers should require a degree in engineering.  The top knob controls the hand held or the overhead rain shower.  The middle position is off but if you overshoot it, cold water comes out of whatever you are not using.  The bottom knob controls the water temperature and I still haven’t figured out how to set it for good.  The annoying feature is that the hand held does not fit in the hand held receptacle so it flops around, sprays the wall, the door, the floor and slips out of its place and clangs around the shower.  And, if you are under 5’ 7” it sprays your hair nicely.  29AB571C-7F2E-45B5-84F8-F88A67C01AF8.thumb.jpeg.9549781e3a52912e53ec8c9e979fd4c8.jpeg

We are also on this cruise. I am in no way discounting or disputing the reports from forgap and GoNavyFamily. 
However, our experience has been a bit different. Mask wearing on board has been excellent. We have commented that we have not seen anyone in public areas not wearing a mask. Are some below the nose, yes but in our view, very few. 
The staff at CR is constantly reminding people leaving or going to the restroom to put their mask on and giving out new ones if necessary. 
Our tour on Catalina was a thrilling ride in an open air Hummer, yet everyone wore their mask 100% of the time. 
On our tour in Acapulco we were on a large bus that was about half full, guessing maybe 35+ people. I did not see one without a mask, and the tour guide did ask everyone to wear them.  We went to a resort hotel (former Fairmont) and everything was outside, yet many people continued to wear them except at  lunch. 
We have been to three shows always sitting on first level. People are definitely socially distanced. There are those that do the get a drink, don’t wear a mask trick. 
One night I estimated about 10 per cent of those I could see were in this group. 
Overall we feel that most passengers we have observed are following the rules. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, forgap said:

Mini rant while it’s on my mind:  the shower.  I don’t think that operating showers should require a degree in engineering.  The top knob controls the hand held or the overhead rain shower.  The middle position is off but if you overshoot it, cold water comes out of whatever you are not using.  The bottom knob controls the water temperature and I still haven’t figured out how to set it for good.  The annoying feature is that the hand held does not fit in the hand held receptacle so it flops around, sprays the wall, the door, the floor and slips out of its place and clangs around the shower.  And, if you are under 5’ 7” it sprays your hair nicely.  29AB571C-7F2E-45B5-84F8-F88A67C01AF8.thumb.jpeg.9549781e3a52912e53ec8c9e979fd4c8.jpeg

Our hand held slides in the holder so you should call maintenance if yours does not. I love the shower but my complaint is that the water pressure isn't that good using any one attachment. But that is being whiny as I'd rather have this lovely bathroom over a cramped one!

On 1/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, GoNavyFamily said:

Update on our shore excursion:  For the first time, our tour was called 15 minutes past start time as we waited in the theater. We boarded a bus which drove us to the cliff diver area, about 10 minutes away. We were able to find a shady area inside the hotel that is open to view the cliff divers, which was nice because it is hot here! It was impressive watching these young men scale the rocks to reach the platform and then dive into the sea. I have a short video which hopefully will attach.

After that we boarded the bus and drove through a very run down (by our standards) "downtown" shopping area covering several streets and blocks, bordering the pier,  and not any place I would intentionally go. The bus barely fit on the streets and had to make several maneuvers each time it turned into another street. We then stopped at a cluster of stores in the middle of downtown which the guide described as an arts and craft market (NOT!!) but with the same merchandise found every where. I honestly didn't even want to get off the bus. After 15 minutes or so we left and once again got stuck in traffic for close to 30 minutes. At this point we were 2 hours into our supposedly 4 hour tour and other than seeing the divers,  still in the same run down series of streets close to the pier.  We asked the driver to let us off, which he did and one other couple got off the bus as well. We walked the few minutes it took back to the ship.  I didn't think I could stand the next part of the tour nor the narration by the guide. We just wanted to be back on Explorer.

So far Regent is batting zero on our shore excursions. We are very happy with the onboard experience but someone at Regent needs to better vet the excursions they offer. 

And here is the sad part.  Even though masks are mandatory in Mexico, as well as required while on board the ship in public areas,  the people sitting across from us as well as several others on the bus stayed unmasked and others wore them below their noses. I wish the tour guide would have gently reminded everyone that masks are required. And we were stuck, it wasn't like the option to leave an area if we felt uncomfortable. 

Some people may want to comment about not cruising if we are that concerned or other similar lines of thought. Please don't waste your time. It is more my point that if you cannot follow the rules, especially the rules of the country in which you are a guest, then you should not elect to travel at this time. 

Anyway, we are very happy with our shipboard experience and plan to book another Regent cruise. We knew upfront that ports would likely change. Indeed, Colombia was just raised to Level 4 travel advisory so I will be unsurprised if that port is cancelled as well as the already eliminated Nicaragua and Guatemala.  Fortunately going through the canal is not going to change!

I'm happy to stay on board and after this failed excursion, I am sitting by the pool with my mango daiquiri and am very content😊

PXL_20220124_235836448_MP.thumb.jpg.a4148051e484b9a46db76c88e1540104.jpg

Regarding people not complying with masking, we agree, that if you don't feel comfortable masking up, don't go.  As a (retired) dental hygienist I am at home with a mask. But our travel buddies not so much. They just canceled their April cruise because of the masking mandates.  Good for them.  They will not break the rules. 

And thank you for this thread, great advice! We are on Explorer on a TA in March Miami to Rome. 

Regent elves are reading this blog because my shower is now fixed - not even three hours after posting!  This is why I love Regent.  I could have just called rather than a frustrated rant!   Lesson learned…go to the source rather than social media!   Mea culpa, mea culpa,  D13A2E41-50FC-4B34-AB0B-539DBA5F8508.thumb.jpeg.0f47bcf7743afcaae0fab83dd15c53cc.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, forgap said:

Regent elves are reading this blog because my shower is now fixed - not even three hours after posting!  This is why I love Regent.  I could have just called rather than a frustrated rant!   Lesson learned…go to the source rather than social media!   Mea culpa, mea culpa,  D13A2E41-50FC-4B34-AB0B-539DBA5F8508.thumb.jpeg.0f47bcf7743afcaae0fab83dd15c53cc.jpeg

I often wonder if anyone from Regent reads these post. Good for them. Someone on the ship must be following the posts on your cruise.

I am enjoying your comments and the others that are posting…..we won’t cruise until the mask mandates are lifted at least on the ship. So it is nice to read  the posts from those who are cruising.Thanks

9 hours ago, GoNavyFamily said:

Has anyone on this thread been on the Puntarenas, Costa Rica aerial tram and rainforest adventure excursion? It says it is 7 hours, including a 1.5 hour bus ride each way. I'd like to know, given our experience so far, that this is a good excursion. It certainly sounds interesting! This is assuming we are allowed to disembark there given the now Level 4 travel advisory.

Yes- in 2019 we took the aerial tram and rainforest adventure and enjoyed it!  The aerial tram was a concern for my husband (height aversion) but he did fine - and the time of the tram went by quickly as we enjoyed the view so much!  We would take that excursion again. 

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

• Like 1

Having read the critisisms regarding the non or incorrect wearing of masks in the theatre I do wonder what the difference is between there if having a drink and in the lounges as long as there is social distancing. Are there people criticising passengers in the lounges similarly? Are passengers putting masks on and off between mouthfuls in the restaurants? I don’t think so so what is the issue?

We are on board Splendor soon and will observe the rules but I can’t understand the objections and certainly don’t wish to be taking a mask on and off all the time. I guess that it’s easier not to have a drink!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swansong said:

Having read the critisisms regarding the non or incorrect wearing of masks in the theatre I do wonder what the difference is between there if having a drink and in the lounges as long as there is social distancing. Are there people criticising passengers in the lounges similarly? Are passengers putting masks on and off between mouthfuls in the restaurants? I don’t think so so what is the issue?

We are on board Splendor soon and will observe the rules but I can’t understand the objections and certainly don’t wish to be taking a mask on and off all the time. I guess that it’s easier not to have a drink!

You have valid points. For us, it was more concerning to have people inches away sitting on the same row of the tour bus, totally unmasked, in a country where masks are required at all times. Plus people in front and behind us, doing the same. The Captain announced 5 asymptomatic positive cases the other day but not whether they are crew or passengers. I'm not worried about how sick I may get, only that I want to be at home if I must quarantine rather than in my cabin, or worse, having to move to a different cabin. 

I do hope that one day soon the virus is treated more like flu or even a cold, and masks not required at all. 

• Like 6