On Riviera Now- 1/14 - 1/28

macaroni

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

There was a shortage  due to crop damage a couple of years ago  &  now  this

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/137775/poppy-seed-trade/

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is urging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to better protect consumers from unprocessed poppy seeds, which it says are often contaminated with the plant’s naturally occurring opiate residues."

Opiates as contamination....no wonder I love my everything bagels so much.  Seriously, I guess several dealths have occured so no joke (but they were using large amounts to make tea with the intention to get high).

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Haha 1

Since this is the last day, I want to reiterate my thanks to host jazzbeau for handling the M&G at the start of the cruise. IMO, that little gathering eased the loss of some of the other usual socializing events found on O ships.

Though, in many respects, it was nice to have reduced passenger capacity, that sparsely populated GDR was a bit eerie. But, being able to easily find a deck lounger counteracted it!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barrest24 said:

Would appreciate if anyone can find out how many passengers will be on the next cruise on 1/28; Thanks.

In the 400's I heard last night.  Guess the media and cdc has everyone freaked out so they took the FCC shuffle.

It was an honor (the last 24 days) to go against their "recommendation" to not cruise.

Obviously that's just for me.  To each their own as they say......

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Nymich said:

In the 400's I heard last night.  Guess the media and cdc has everyone freaked out so they took the FCC shuffle.

It was an honor (the last 24 days) to go against their "recommendation" to not cruise.

Wow, 400's is pretty low.  Well, it was the wonderful postings by you and others that convinced us to continue with the 2/7 cruise even after O FINALLY granted us approval to postpone.  We are leaving tomorrow to beat the snow storm as we had combined the cruise with a road trip to Florida.  We are more than excited about our first experience on Oceania whether we have 400, 600, or 1200 passengers.  Thank you again for all your information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed it as well after our first trip in January - to the point where I've already booked my 2023 trip.

Most of the people that post to CC O boards are at least Concierge level cabins (we were). That said, one of the little used paths in sailing is the interior cabin values.

It's particularly hard to get that cabin over any extended period, like NYMICH in the Western Mediterranean. I got 20 days, at $235 a day, including gratuities, port charges, taxes. (Obviously no air, but O-Life on two legs purchased). 

Every day, literally every day, in a port. Cancellations won't necessarily be devastating. You just got to buy when it doesn't feel good. That's where the opportunity lies.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, espmass said:

Wow, 400's is pretty low.  Well, it was the wonderful postings by you and others that convinced us to continue with the 2/7 cruise even after O FINALLY granted us approval to postpone.  We are leaving tomorrow to beat the snow storm as we had combined the cruise with a road trip to Florida.  We are more than excited about our first experience on Oceania whether we have 400, 600, or 1200 passengers.  Thank you again for all your information.

Just get ready for maskless mania in Miami.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, espmass said:

I can't imagine a better time to sail

Limited guests. Ports starting to re-open. And winter, you massive SOB-PITA finally peaked and declining.

Shine on you crazy diamond. Enjoy life.

Just going to share this, because it happened yesterday. I attended a funeral for a client (I'm a wealth planner), and his bride said three words that really caught me.

"We bought tickets". Swallow that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

400…wow..that will be weird. We were also convinced by these wonderful posts (particularly by Nymich) to continue with our 28/1 sail. We’ve been in Miami since Monday at the Downtown Hyatt (adjacent to the Convention Centre)and it is eerily quiet, especially at night. Tourism has obviously taken a huge hit because of Covid…who knows if it will ever come back.  We had a couple of wonderful meals in nearby restaurants (Zuma and Daniel Boulud Sud) and although they weren’t empty, we had no difficulty getting reservations. We’re having a great stay, despite the fact that my luggage was lost by AIr Canada and I spent an anxious Monday night. Fortunately it turned up on Tuesday morning. Lost luggage was the last thing I worried about in contemplating what could go wrong this trip.

So now we are almost at embarkation day! 

Thanks again for keeping these posts going; they’ve been a lifeline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, espmass said:

Well, it was the wonderful postings by you and others that convinced us to continue with the 2/7 cruise even after O FINALLY granted us approval to postpone.

Glad it finally worked out for you and hope you have a great cruise.

Reading this board, Oceania's answers to requests to p/p or cancel for fcc were all over the place and continually changing: Yes, no, yes but only 50% credit, maybe-but you have to cancel first and then we'll decide. Made these decisions excruciating for a number of folks who posted here and, I'm sure for others that didn't post.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just get ready for maskless mania in Miami.

All you do is complain when YOU chose to go to Miami..  You are always welcome to not come Back.  Here is to hoping your departure flight is On Time!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, espmass said:

I assume you're heading down I-95.  Florence SC has the first convenient Krispy Kreme right at an exit with cheap gas – and they sell enough that the sign is always on!  The first bite tells me that I am in the South 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All you do is complain when YOU chose to go to Miami..  You are always welcome to not come Back.  Here is to hoping your departure flight is On Time!

So funny, but true 🙂 

NYmich.....glad you had a good cruise.  Your posts were honest, unbiased, informative, very witty and never insulting or abrasive to others with differing opinions. This is reflected in all those who have commended you for being there for many us the last few weeks.  We chose to cancel 2/7 cruise.....masking and possibility of more sea days was our deciding factor, besides having had a perfect O cruise last month. Hope to meet up with you on a future cruise.  Be well and safe drive home!!

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

So funny, but true 🙂 

NYmich.....glad you had a good cruise.  Your posts were honest, unbiased, informative, very witty and never insulting or abrasive to others with differing opinions. This is reflected in all those who have commended you for being there for many us the last few weeks.  We chose to cancel 2/7 cruise.....masking and possibility of more sea days was our deciding factor, besides having had a perfect O cruise last month. Hope to meet up with you on a future cruise.  Be well and safe drive home!!

You clearly show how all of our perspectives are unique.  

If I had a "perfect" O cruise in the bank last month like you I might have made the same decision with the 2/7.

Thanks for the kind comments. 😊 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

So funny, but true 🙂 

.....masking and possibility of more sea days was our deciding factor, besides having had a perfect O cruise last month. ....

Yes, my wife and I did have the perfect cruise on Riviera 12/13-23/21. We timed it perfectly. Rough seas cancelled a day trip to the private island in the Bahamas but all the other scheduled ports were open and the people friendly. Crew & passengers had a great time. We didn't barely paid attention to the pandemic, which didn't seem to impact us in any adverse manner. It was amazing how quickly after this cruise everything changed.

• Like 1

To me, this was a 'perfect' O cruise.  The small numbers made service amazing.  Oceania did a terrific job of finding new ports to replace cancelled ones so it wasn't a week of sea days.  And the ambience on board makes sea days most relaxing. 

The comedian last night (both of his shows, actually) really drove home the difference between Oceania and today's 'edgy' Celebrity:  all his jokes, which were very funny, were aimed at retired-age people like me.  I'm so glad to find a cruise line that still values my business and hasn't kicked me to the side of the road in search of Millennials.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

A question for current Riviera passengers. How are cooking classes and La Reserve dinners being handled?

Cooking classes, under CDC requirements, are demo only – but no charge.  There are five different topics:  Fish, Jacques, Knives, Red Ginger, and Global Traveler [a selection of topics from several of the previous hands-on classes].  We were able to attend three of them.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cooking classes, under CDC requirements, are demo only – but no charge.  There are five different topics:  Fish, Jacques, Knives, Red Ginger, and Global Traveler [a selection of topics from several of the previous hands-on classes].  We were able to attend three of them.

Were the demo classes only for those who had previously signed up to take the class or was there an open sign up once changed to demo?

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are the classes virtual or in person?

53 minutes ago, espmass said:

Were the demo classes only for those who had previously signed up to take the class or was there an open sign up once changed to demo?

She had an open kitchen intro early in the cruise and allowed anyone to sign up for open slots.  We got two immediately, but the Jacques classes were already filled with those who had paid for that class under the old format.  [Their money had already been refunded.]

50 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Are the classes virtual or in person?

In person, but not hands-on [except Chef Steph's hands]

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you for this update! We've had the Red Ginger class booked for a while on our upcoming Riviera cruise. Disappointing, to be sure, but now we know.

1 minute ago, samiam0403 said:

Thank you for this update! We've had the Red Ginger class booked for a while on our upcoming Riviera cruise. Disappointing, to be sure, but now we know.

The minute the CDC allows, Oceania will go back to their prior formats.  "Chef Steph cooks, you taste at the end" should be allowed now IMO.  Full hands-on with only 12 people (1 per workstation) may take longer, but apparently it was also not a perfect format because with each person doing all the prep work it took a long time to complete the first recipe.  But there is no revenue stream now, so I'm sure Oceania will want to get back to that...