On Riviera Now- 1/14 - 1/28

macaroni

It's been a few years since we've been to JVD, and we've always taken the jitney cab from "Grand" harbor over to White Bay.  It was $10 each way last time we were there. 

White Bay is where it is at for us - never was a fan of Foxy's but love Soggy Dollar.  A lounge chair, conch fritters, Painkillers, people-watching= heaven.  But our favorite palms trees are now gone, and I don't  know ow much shade is available.

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

It's been a few years since we've been to JVD, and we've always taken the jitney cab from "Grand" harbor over to White Bay.  It was $10 each way last time we were there. 

White Bay is where it is at for us - never was a fan of Foxy's but love Soggy Dollar.  A lounge chair, conch fritters, Painkillers, people-watching= heaven.  But our favorite palms trees are now gone, and I don't  know ow much shade is available.

Now you have me doubting whether or not it was Foxy's where we spent so many great days! lol......it was on the same stretch of beach as the Soggy Dollar.....just a longer walk and MUCH less of a party atmosphere.....and I do agree with you about the palm trees.  Our first trip back was about a year later?  And there was ONE where we placed two loungers under......last couple of times was a bit better?  But nothing like it used to be.  I am a cancer patient and one of the items on my "bucket" list is to live long enough to return to Jost Van Dyke to see it back to its original glory!  Maybe you can clarify if I was indeed incorrect about naming Foxys as our preferred stop......as I would not want to steer anyone wrong.  But anywhere on this stretch of beach is pretty darn near perfect!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Hand sanitizer was seemingly literally everywhere on board Riviera (12/13-23/21), Cruze4Ever. And all you had to do was ask Reception for an N95. They had an endless supply. We had to ask once as we forgot our masks before tendering. And they had a kit in your room with sanitizer and an N95.

Thanks so much!!!

10 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Now you have me doubting whether or not it was Foxy's where we spent so many great days! lol......it was on the same stretch of beach as the Soggy Dollar.....just a longer walk and MUCH less of a party atmosphere.....and I do agree with you about the palm trees.  Our first trip back was about a year later?  And there was ONE where we placed two loungers under......last couple of times was a bit better?  But nothing like it used to be.  I am a cancer patient and one of the items on my "bucket" list is to live long enough to return to Jost Van Dyke to see it back to its original glory!  Maybe you can clarify if I was indeed incorrect about naming Foxys as our preferred stop......as I would not want to steer anyone wrong.  But anywhere on this stretch of beach is pretty darn near perfect!

We were there in 1980 when there was just the Soggy Dollar Bar and Restaurant. They also owned 3 cottages on the beach so we had all our meals (and drinks). The Soggy Bar is on White Bay. The only way to White Bay at the time was private boat. We were the only people on the beach until dinner time when the private yachts came for dinner. They were our entertainment as they tried to align the triangle into the square on the roof of the bar so they could pass through the reef. Not all made it lol. Trying to get back to their yachts after a evening of painkillers was fun to watch. Back then the owner had a black and white marble school notebook at the bar. As occupants of the cottages we just wrote our name in the book and used stick figures to keep track of our bar bill. We made our own drinks. Those were the days.

Foxy's is in Great Harbor over the ridge from the Soggy Dollar. The ferry comes in there. There was no ferry when we were there but they run them now. Sidney's Peace and Love is in Little Harbor. That was a nice quiet bar and restaurant.

I would love to go back but I think it would break my heart to see so many people partying on that beach. It was lovely. 

• Like 1

A lot has been posted regarding the specialty restaurants;  both the great food and the availability to get extra reservations with the ships so empty.  Being this will be our first Oceania cruise, we want to sample everything so is the Main Dining Room also highly recommended to try?  We actually figured that we would go there on embarkation night rather than to get an extra specialty reservation that night.

30 minutes ago, espmass said:

A lot has been posted regarding the specialty restaurants;  both the great food and the availability to get extra reservations with the ships so empty.  Being this will be our first Oceania cruise, we want to sample everything so is the Main Dining Room also highly recommended to try?  We actually figured that we would go there on embarkation night rather than to get an extra specialty reservation that night.

The food is good in all the dining venues  not like on mass market lines where you need to go to the specialties to get better food

The specialties have the same menu daily  but the GDR changes

enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, espmass said:

Since you can go to the GDR any night you aren't at a specialty restaurant, I'd recommend an extra specialty restaurant. We didn't get any extra spaces on Riviera on the 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean cruise and we were at 60% capacity (719 passengers). Only got the 4 reservations. But then we were only A4 Concierge Level so I don't know about the super-high end rooms. I found eating on the Terrace Cafe at night on the aft deck outside to be the most desired option outside of the specialty restaurants. Eating under the stars. One night a gentleman at a table next to us had an app with his phone that showed us what planets we were actually seeing in the clear sky (IIRC Mars, Jupiter, & Saturn). Great food and the stars!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

. Only got the 4 reservations. But then we were only A4 Concierge Level so I don't know about the super-high end rooms.

I am surprised you could not get extra sittings 

Did you go to the  reservations desk daily to be put on the list?

We have been in A & B  cabins on pre covid cruises & managed an extra  sitting

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am surprised you could not get extra sittings 

Did you go to the  reservations desk daily to be put on the list?

We have been in A & B  cabins on pre covid cruises & managed an extra  sitting

I agree, we've got extras while in inside and Ocean views, as well as regular verandas. 

We are on currently.  We were allowed one reservation per speciality prior to boarding.  On the day of boarding we were able to book two additional restaurants and have been able to add two more since.  Thus going to each twice.  We have also been approached on several days to see if we wanted to book a speciality restaurant. Additional reservations are available if you are flexible.

• Like 4

From Oceania's own web site regarding making reservations:

"Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise: 

Marina and Riviera 
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant"

How many dining reservations am I allowed in each specialty restaurant? – Oceania Cruises (zendesk.com)

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

"Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category and length of cruise: 

once onboard you can go to the dining reservations desk & ask if any availability for that day

Sometimes you get lucky sometimes not  😉

3 hours ago, espmass said:

The main dining room is excellent, too. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And if you want a gastronomic delight and willing to spend $100 or so, book a Wine Spectator wine pairing dinner in La Reserve 🤪👍

In the Specialty restaurants you can not possibly taste all the wonderful options but if everyone at your table is willing to share some bites, go for it so you can zero in on what you might like to select on your next reservation in that restaurant. There are so many posts on dining recommendations so take some time to read as many as possible, you will not be disappointed. Here are a few of my favorites in Red Ginger; Duck and Watermelon Salad, Miso  Glazed Chilean Sea Bass and the Rack of Lamb. 

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Marina and Riviera 
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom 
All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant"

How many dining reservations am I allowed in each specialty restaurant? – Oceania Cruises (zendesk.com)

You can book additional reservations on board, based on availability, if you are flexible on times.  I think most folks have been successful with asking on the day you want (anyone have experience to share?), but it doesn't hurt to ask in advance.

Until today 27 out of the 35 member "Entertainment Team" have kind of been not here due to following  protocols.  

Some are filtering out onto the guest areas today and plan is the 25th and 27th will have Riviera Production Company shows IF at all possible.

O is doing a good job keeping the ship safe imo.

And yes......this is a great source and not rumour/gossip 

Edited by Nymich
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You can book additional reservations on board, based on availability, if you are flexible on times.  I think most folks have been successful with asking on the day you want (anyone have experience to share?), but it doesn't hurt to ask in advance.

When Marina and Riviera are sailing at full capacity, the key to getting additional reservations is being willing to eat either earlier or later than you usually do..  On our last pre-pandemic cruise, we were able to get two additional Jacques reservations by eating 2 hours later than we usually eat. We were willing to do this because we love eating at Jacques.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tgg said:

When Marina and Riviera are sailing at full capacity, the key to getting additional reservations is being willing to eat either earlier or later than you usually do..

and sharing. I've found this key to getting extra reservations. 

• Like 3