On Riviera Now- 1/14 - 1/28

macaroni

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, much better than your prior cruise of mostly Sea Days.  Tortola is new to us, so looking forward to it.  I guess we'll be real experts on St. Maarten by the time this is over 😁

Try to go to Jost Van Dyke.....beautiful beach....we always went there on the "Rebel" catamaran.....one of the regular vendor/excursions offered.....

4 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

I know why St Barts was removed for Sirena itinerary moved to Marina - ship is too large - only small passenger ships like Sirena allowed.

So I will try again next year….

Not true. Riviera, Marina’s sister ship, is scheduled to be there on the 2/7 cruise itinerary.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though it is a bit more noticeable on R ships than O ships, R cabins just aft of the rear elevators and O cabins midway aft of the rear elevators (like 8031) are either side of the stack. Some vibration, associated with a seemingly harmonic convergence of engine/shaft/et al. conditions occasionally will be noticeable in the hallways. Though not just based on speed, I’ve noticed it mostly at speeds exceeding 17 knots. 

This,

I've also wondered about the shafts or propellers of the O ships possibly being bent or out of round. I don't think that vibration in the O ships was that apparent when they were newer. But I really don't know anything about this stuff. 

Garden bunny,

we were in St Bart’s in December on Riviera so our ship sizes are not an issue. It is a tender port anyway and our capacity will not overwhelm the town. We had over 1000 on board when we were there and they ran tenders continuously.  Actually we have been there several times and IMHO missing it is no big deal. The heat and humidity wiped me out and the shops were very pricey. The airport location and arrivals and departures are dicey and that was cool to watch in the past but probably not fun for those on board. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes

Thank you Mauibabes.  I have read reviews about the island on various sites and agree with your assessment, but just wanted to see it.  Been to most of the Caribbean islands and was hoping to see another. Of the 7 ports on our 2/11, been to 5 multiple times.  Was just in St Lucia and St Kitts in first week of January on the new Enchhanted Princess (it was a NYE cruise and wanted to try the new ship). 

Reading this Riveria topic and the recent posts, it seems that itineraries are being changed quite a bit.  So will be anticipating a possible “port roulette” ….I wouldn’t mind Tortola - that is where DH would like to go!

But it is all good.

5 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

See if you can book an excursion to Jost Van Dyke from Tortola.  Gorgeous beach and Home of the famous Soggy Dollar Bar

Jost Van Dyke Tourism 2022: Best of Jost Van Dyke - Tripadvisor

Anyone who enjoys a lovely boat ride and a fantastic beach experience should check ASAP if Oceania is offering this excursion. I am a very picky Jersey Shore native sailing and beach enthusiast and assert that Jost Van Dyke is a top 3 Oceania Caribbean shore excursion in my experience. (I have enjoyed as many of those sailing and beach experiences as possible over the past ten years.) 

• Like 1

The BVIs in general is a favorite of yacht sailors (and scuba/snorkel fans). It’s been awhile since we did a charter there (most home port at Tortola) and, quite frankly, I’d have been happier if  this cruise spent more time there (particularly around Virgin Gorda).
BTW: anyone just wanting to head to tgev bech in Tortola can’t go wrong if you head the Brewers Bay.

Of course, the yachties would be pis*ed off at yet another cruise ship eating up the anchorages. But, sharing a few Painkillers with them at Foxy’s on Jost Van Dyke would make all OK. (https://www.liquor.com/recipes/painkiller/

Though it’s still apparently in a post 2017 hurricane rebuild, a great day or two of water sports would be A-OK at the Bitter End Yacht Club (Virgin Gorda) https://beyc.com

image.png.e7d7ace5f43882efc8a42648f2bbf311.png

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

16 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

See if you can book an excursion to Jost Van Dyke from Tortola.  Gorgeous beach and Home of the famous Soggy Dollar Bar

Funny story....my husband and I stayed in BVI for our honeymoon in 2001 and took a local "ferry" over to JVD.  Onboard the small boat - front and center in front of our feet - was a casket, accompanied by the funeral party.  Fittingly, the name of the boat was "Paradise Express"!

Edited by YoPhilly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course, the yachties would be pis*ed off at yet another cruise ship eating up the anchorages. But, sharing a few Painkillers with them at Foxy’s on Jost Van Dyke would make all OK. (https://www.liquor.com/recipes/painkiller/

Painkillers . . .  my favorite island beverage!  So good and they go down way too quickly! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fascinating reading in light of our experience on Riviera from 12/13-23/21. So glad we did the Dec cruise in lieu of a Jan or Feb 22 cruise. We had no changes to our itinerary (other than high waves cancelled tendering to the private island in the Bahamas) and everyone was so excited to be cruising, both passengers & crew, with so few restrictions, and the locals at our stops. We had 719 passengers and 781 crew.

15 hours ago, ORV said:

This,

I've also wondered about the shafts or propellers of the O ships possibly being bent or out of round. I don't think that vibration in the O ships was that apparent when they were newer. But I really don't know anything about this stuff. 

If a shaft was “bent,” you’d know it. But, if I remember this stuff correctly, the pitch of prop blades can account for interesting behavior.

18 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Soggy Dollar is popular with cruiser passengers. Head over to a nearby bay where you’ll find most sailors at Foxy’s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Soggy Dollar is popular with cruiser passengers. Head over to a nearby bay where you’ll find most sailors at Foxy’s.

That's fine if you have your own boat or a private boat charter but most excursions drop you off in White Bay and it would be a 35 min walk to get to Foxy's from the Soggy Dollar

• Thanks 1

When I was on an Oceania cruise Feb. 2020, they gave out pocket sized hand sanitizers.  Are they still doing that?  Also, I saw a picture of a Mask N95 on the bed in a stateroom.  Do they give those out daily.  Just asking so I know what to stock up on and bring with me.  Thanks!

Hand sanitizer was seemingly literally everywhere on board Riviera (12/13-23/21), Cruze4Ever. And all you had to do was ask Reception for an N95. They had an endless supply. We had to ask once as we forgot our masks before tendering. And they had a kit in your room with sanitizer and an N95.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dpg17 said:

Hi, what time are the seatings for dinner in the specialty restaurants (Red Ginger, Toscana, etc.)? We can only see reservations starting at 6:30 but thought some were earlier.

Thanks!

normally 6:30 is the first seating  occasionally we have seen 6pm  but do not count on it

last sitting I believe  is 9pm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

That's fine if you have your own boat or a private boat charter but most excursions drop you off in White Bay and it would be a 35 min walk to get to Foxy's from the Soggy Dollar

Oops! Forgot about that. May have to make friends with a dinghy owner!

Interesting sidebar: For our very first BVI “crewed charter” (no one wanted to cook), the skipper and I corresponded beforehand regarding everything from food/booze to preferences for the itinerary. When I gave him a list of spots based on our yacht club conversations at home, his answer was “the only problem is this list is where everyone wants to go.” With a few exceptions, we followed his suggestions for out-of-the-way anchorages that were most often a short dinghy ride to the center of the social action.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agree whole heartedly!  On our last visit, DH managed to forget his cell phone....and did not realize it until we were onboard the Rebel Run on our way back to the ship.....but the dear Captain Claudia called Foxys...turned the catamaran around....and the people from Foxy's met our Rebel Run ON THE BEACH so that my DH didn't even have to get off to retrieve his phone!  They also refused a tip!  Great place to visit and great people as well.  Slowly recovering from those hurricanes of the past few years....

• Like 1