On Riviera Now- 1/14 - 1/28

macaroni

2 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Thanks Baz-t and Nymich for comparisons between your cruises.  It is quite obvious what has transpired among the staff. Disappointed in Oceania not addressing obvious omissions  on the cruise. I’m aware of the contract, however, the product offered is a far cry from the norm. At the least, a FCC and an apology is warranted. 
I completely understand that passengers who left cold and snowy cities and/or haven’t cruised in 2 years are still enjoying being on the ship.  Our 12/3 cruise was excellent. We felt the quality of entertainment was by far the best of our 15 O cruises. 
We’re scheduled for 2/7 cruise…..guess entertainers will be back by then? 

If “operational reasons” are perceived as an unsatisfactory reason, all one has to do is ask the cruise director why there are current entertainment changes and you will be provided a further explanation. 

FWIW: not every illness is Covid though some of its symptoms are the same as a common cold (e.g., a runny nose).

Familiarizing oneself with the SailSafe protocols will quickly explain the concept of “contact tracing” and the ensuing steps to isolate/quarantine multiple individuals who may have zero symptoms, negative Covid tests, etc. Such actions, which may last 5+\- days are necessary out of an abundance of caution.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:04 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to review the 1/4/22 Riviera post where it was mentioned by someone that the cabin next to theirs was folks who had tested positive while onboard and became quarantined without needing to move.

You may want to review the thread as well before you misquote me like that.  I never used the terminology "tested positive or said anyone has covid!  I like to report..... not be an O cheerleader or a negative basher.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If “operational reasons” are perceived as an unsatisfactory reason, all one has to do is ask the cruise director why there are current entertainment changes and you will be provided a further explanation. 

FWIW: not every illness is Covid though some of its symptoms are the same as a common cold (e.g., a runny nose).

Familiarizing oneself with the SailSafe protocols will quickly explain the concept of “contact tracing” and the ensuing steps to isolate/quarantine multiple individuals who may have zero symptoms, negative Covid tests, etc. Such actions, which may last 5+\- days are necessary out of an abundance of caution.

Covid or not...just expressing on observing and reporting on experience for those soon to come and not make full judgment of the true "O" experience in this forum I think is appropriate. 

Stating the obvious that for the past 2  years of  information has been disseminated is being "well versed".  Those who sail now are very "well versed"; to assume different is conjecture.   Management has pat answers for the "operational changes" eg. explanations and again what you described is OBVIOUS.  No one said is was definitely covid or otherwise.   They also isolate new crew when they first get onboard ...all precautions.   I think being entitled to say how the differences are are important for people again to decide for themselves wheather to sail.  This response sounded like an unnecessary scolding.   Respectfully I think decaf is in order. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hope all crew members get out of isolation safely and enjoy a bit of a rest if they are asymptomatic.

it’s not Oceania’s fault - it’s the pandemic’s fault. They are now adapting as best they can to a new new new way of working, this is how it will be now. 

Make the most of the sun and the food and the camaraderie 🙂

• Like 5

Hi folks, thank you so much for all the updates.

Just wondering if someone could let me know what Bulgari ammenities are in a balcony stateroom, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc? I can't seem to find a list anywhere.

Thank you, 🙂

57 minutes ago, Nymich said:

You may want to review the thread as well before you misquote me like that.  I never used the terminology "tested positive or said anyone has covid!  I like to report..... not be an O cheerleader or a negative basher.

This is why you’ve been thanked by so many since 1/4.  You, and several others on this thread, neither attack or are demeaning or sarcastic to those who feel apprehensive about cruising due to virus or disappointed in the current product, nor are you cheering O’s every move. 

The only information we future cruisers can obtain are the statements from you and others as to what is and is not transpiring on board. 
This is what CC has always been about. Information! Your postings are informative. 
Glad you’re not being intimidated!
We love cruising O…..15 and 6 on rez says it all. However, we’re not sure about cruising 2/7.  We cruised 12/3 with 1100 passengers, no masks, all ports and all (very good) entertainment. We were very fortunate. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

This is why you’ve been thanked by so many since 1/4.  You, and several others on this thread, neither attack or are demeaning or sarcastic to those who feel apprehensive about cruising due to virus or disappointed in the current product, nor are you cheering O’s every move. 

The only information we future cruisers can obtain are the statements from you and others as to what is and is not transpiring on board. 
This is what CC has always been about. Information! Your postings are informative. 
Glad you’re not being intimidated!
We love cruising O…..15 and 6 on rez says it all. However, we’re not sure about cruising 2/7.  We cruised 12/3 with 1100 passengers, no masks, all ports and all (very good) entertainment. We were very fortunate. 

I have to ditto what Jayne E wrote.  I have tried to thank all of you currently onboard for all the valuable opinions and information.  I tried numerous times to get O to allow us to postpone our 2/7 Riviera cruise but we have finally accepted that we are going.  Thanks to all your valuable information, we are more comfortable about it and are beginning to look forward to the trip.  This is to be our first experience with O and you have provided valuable insight as to what we should expect and what we should look forward to.  So, in case I haven't said it enough, thank you to all who have posted.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, dpg17 said:

Hi folks, thank you so much for all the updates.

Just wondering if someone could let me know what Bulgari ammenities are in a balcony stateroom, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc? I can't seem to find a list anywhere.

Thank you, 🙂

Usually it is  shampoo/bodywash combo, conditioner, body lotion, bar soap & glycerine bar soap

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, espmass said:

I tried numerous times to get O to allow us to postpone our 2/7 Riviera cruise but we have finally accepted that we are going.  

My travel agent told me that anyone on an Oceania cruise departing in January or February may cancel now for any reason and get a FCC.  My friends just did that for their January 14th Riviera sailing.  I also have that option for my February 11th cruise, but I am sailing!  If you do not want to take your cruise, please ask for a FCC and cancel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twiga said:

My travel agent told me that anyone on an Oceania cruise departing in January or February may cancel now for any reason and get a FCC.  My friends just did that for their January 14th Riviera sailing.  I also have that option for my February 11th cruise, but I am sailing!  If you do not want to take your cruise, please ask for a FCC and cancel.

We have tried and tried.  O keeps telling us and out TA that they will give FCC to those who have O trip insurance or no trip insurance but not to those who have private trip insurance.  As has been posted, some people have been able to cancel or postpone and others have not.  I don't want to again hijack this topic. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, espmass said:

We have tried and tried.  O keeps telling us and out TA that they will give FCC to those who have O trip insurance or no trip insurance but not to those who have private trip insurance.  As has been posted, some people have been able to cancel or postpone and others have not.  I don't want to again hijack this topic. 

We have also tried. We have no insurance nor does the couple we’re traveling with.

On a positive note, the “operational procedures” may change and all the missing performers will reappear.  🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

Apologies for the misquote.

At the same time, I expect that your perceived  “neutral” stance recognizes that stating validation/gratitude for O’s maintaining/promoting accepted standards for handling of maritime public health issues should not be confused with “cheerleading.” 

After all, in the vast majority of Covid era decisions made by Oceania to date, most maritime industry professionals would consider them to be exemplary - often putting passenger (and crew) protection before profit (100% vaccination, pier testing, mask restrictions, case-by-case consideration of requests for booking policy exceptions etc.)  

And, FWIW, I find that commenting on any of the above in a very straightforward way is hardly bashing or negative. Rather, it typifies a style that is far more efficacious than dancing around issues at hand. After all, CC is a forum and no one is forced to read or follow posts/threads nor should they become self appointed “post police.”

Stay safe and enjoy your cruise.

• Haha 1

So here is what our TA told us that O said to her late last week about cancellation. It is on a case by case basis. A refund or FCC has to be requested. O then cancels the cruise and has some review process whereby they decide if any compensation will happen or not. No criteria for the decision was provided. But the booking is cancelled before the compensation,if any, is decided. We were unwilling to play refund roulette so we are going on the Jan 28th sailing. Our TA works for a preferred O supplier.  A couple of days after we committed, One of her contacts asked what compensation we would want to be able to cancel. At that point we weren’t up for negotiating. We do have private insurance which would give us 50% back if we cancel for any reason.

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Apologies for the misquote.

At the same time, I expect that your perceived  “neutral” stance recognizes that stating validation/gratitude for O’s maintaining/promoting accepted standards for handling of maritime public health issues should not be confused with “cheerleading.” 

After all, in the vast majority of Covid era decisions made by Oceania to date, most maritime industry professionals would consider them to be exemplary - often putting passenger (and crew) protection before profit (100% vaccination, pier testing, mask restrictions, case-by-case consideration of requests for booking policy exceptions etc.)  

And, FWIW, I find that commenting on any of the above in a very straightforward way is hardly bashing or negative. Rather, it typifies a style that is far more efficacious than dancing around issues at hand. After all, CC is a forum and no one is forced to read or follow posts/threads nor should they become self appointed “post police.”

Stay safe and enjoy your cruise.

Permitting booking policy exemptions on a case by case consideration is not putting passenger protection before profit. Protocols should be “blanketed” and inclusive of entire cruise. Several hundred have cancelled February cruises, while others are denied.

Can’t wait for your defense of this policy.  Negotiate to “Yes” is not acceptable. 😀

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

So here is what our TA told us that O said to her late last week about cancellation. It is on a case by case basis. A refund or FCC has to be requested. O then cancels the cruise and has some review process whereby they decide if any compensation will happen or not. No criteria for the decision was provided. But the booking is cancelled before the compensation,if any, is decided. We were unwilling to play refund roulette so we are going on the Jan 28th sailing. Our TA works for a preferred O supplier.  A couple of days after we committed, One of her contacts asked what compensation we would want to be able to cancel. At that point we weren’t up for negotiating. We do have private insurance which would give us 50% back if we cancel for any reason.

Passenger protection before O profits?  I think not !

15 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Yes, heard this explanation over and over.  With the decisions being on a case by case basis, we were told no via phone, no via email from O, and no to our TA.  So we have resigned ourselves to being on the cruise and having a good time.

Just now, catgirl411 said:

The successful strategy we have used when circumstances (Covid era or prior) dictated a need for a case-by-case review of a request for an Oceania policy exception leans heavily on the proven concept of “negotiating to yes.”

For example, if you want an FCC when one has yet to be offered, consider requesting a cruise transfer. (BTW, If you happened to have booked the questionable cruise onboard, you probably already have one transfer allowance.)

Just asking for an open-ended FCC will usually be met with a NO. But, having a specific cruise in mind (particularly a more expensive one with significant cabin availability) may get you what you want with little hassle. And, needless to say, the right Connoisseurs Club or Preferred Partner TA can help make that case (as can the right long-serving O phone rep if you booked direct) in one quick phone call. This also hold true for requesting exceptions to FCC “cruise by” (but not necessarily “book by”) deadlines - particularly when the deal is a mix of FCC and cash. 
Bottom line: Having a mutually agreeable solution in hand will work far better than - “I want a refund” or “I want an FCC.” 

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The successful strategy we have used when circumstances (Covid era or prior) dictated a need for a case-by-case review of a request for an Oceania policy exception leans heavily on the proven concept of “negotiating to yes.”

For example, if you want an FCC when one has yet to be offered, consider requesting a cruise transfer. (BTW, If you happened to have booked the questionable cruise onboard, you probably already have one transfer allowance.)

Just asking for an open-ended FCC will usually be met with a NO. But, having a specific cruise in mind (particularly a more expensive one with significant cabin availability) may get you what you want with little hassle. And, needless to say, the right Connoisseurs Club or Preferred Partner TA can help make that case (as can the right long-serving O phone rep if you booked direct) in one quick phone call. This also hold true for requesting exceptions to FCC “cruise by” (but not necessarily “book by”) deadlines - particularly when the deal is a mix of FCC and cash. 
Bottom line: Having a mutually agreeable solution in hand will work far better than - “I want a refund” or “I want an FCC.” 

Booking a $26,000 PH cabin with our Preferred Partner TA on Vista and moving 8k FCC to it didn’t work.  Neither did 4 other “more expensive” cruises. As you’re on board now, you apparently weren’t forced to attempt your above stated FCC strategies. These ships are sailing half empty and O wants to retain as many passengers as possible. 

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I did ask for a specific transfer to a different cruise that we had selected and still a no.  Believe me, we tried.  Obviously our TA is not the "right" O TA but being a first timer with O I didn't know any better and used a trusted TA I have been doing business with for about 15 years.  I plan to let O know how unhappy and stressed I was with their decision but in the meantime, I am sure I will have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

My understanding is that sailing using the FCC must be sailed by 12/31/2022. I am sure it is a major effort on O’s part to get all that negative money off their Balance Sheet.

We had to “find” a cruise to use our FCC on so we are hoping nothing happens to that sailing as it is a challenge to blend interest, availability and our schedule. 
Covid has been devastating for us all so let’s hope we can put it in our wake real soon. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

Thanks for starting this post. I am not on this cruise, but my mother in law and friend are. Her friend tested positive on Monday and they are both quarantined for the remainder of the cruise.  She has not tested positive yet, but she needs to quarantine with her room mate. My Mother in law suspected it was from the casino, as they heard many of the casino staff were positive. Just a speculation though.  I'm so sad for them. I'm going to try to send something via the cruise line to their room. 

58 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just asking for an open-ended FCC will usually be met with a NO. But, having a specific cruise in mind (particularly a more expensive one with significant cabin availability) may get you what you want with little hassle.

That would only work if the cruise I'd want to transfer to has availability. The specific future cruises I am interested in all show to be sold out.  The bottom line for me is that if my March cruise on Regatta operates as scheduled, I'm planning on being on it. If it's canceled, I'll take the refund.  I'm not interested in a FCC or cruise transfer.  

2 hours ago, espmass said:

Can anyone give me some personal observations regarding the gym?  Spaced well?  Ventilation?  Wearing N95 or regular surgical-type masks?  Crowded?  Cannot start my day off without time in the gym!  Thanks.

Thank you for asking this question. We plan to be on the Feb 7 cruise and also would hope to have  our morning gym time. FYI I just at my regular stress test on a treadmill with a mask required. No problem. I wore  KN95 .We will wear a mask in the gym even if not required.  I would hope for some organized social distancing on machines in the gym.