Labadee opening soon?

HicksRA

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I wouldn't link to him or click on one of his links for all of the cabanas on Barefoot Beach.

@topnole  Never say always, but there has been a guarded chain link fence around RC's Labadee compound for a long long long time.

You got me, but I meant since Royal began using it as a port of call and not since the beginning of time. 😂

I didn’t click on the link either.  

Just now, topnole said:

You got me, but I meant since Royal began using it as a port of call and not since the beginning of time. 😂

I didn’t click on the link either.  

That actually IS what I meant.  There wouldn't have been any reason for a fence around a random parcel of land.  RC erected the fence.  It has been there for a very long time.

32 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

That actually IS what I meant.  There wouldn't have been any reason for a fence around a random parcel of land.  RC erected the fence.  It has been there for a very long time.

I saw it on a brochure once😉🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

There are several men with automatic weapons stationed by the gate on the inside. On the other end at Dragons Plaza there are usually a couple of men stationed with automatic weapons. I would guess there are more on the outside that we would not be able to see from the inside.

Doesn't that give anyone pause?  Pretty sure most beaches don't have armed guards.

As for Barefoot Beach, been there, done that, overhyped lol.  @John&LaLa time to hang with the peasants.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, BND said:

Doesn't that give anyone pause?  Pretty sure most beaches don't have armed guards.

As for Barefoot Beach, been there, done that, overhyped lol.  @John&LaLa time to hang with the peasants.

Like I said earlier, Columbus Cove is a better beach. I hope the water taxi comes back.

But I would miss the grilled lamb chops on BB. No way is the food overhyped😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

I was surprised the first time I saw them over 20 years ago. They wore unforms by the way so they may have been Haitian police. None is saying that Haiti is not a basket case country but Royal Caribbean has been there a long time and there has not been any attacks, only a couple oflow key protests which were hardly threatening and really were protests against the governmet policies.. I worked for years with real nice and smart Haitian immigrant who was from nearby Cap Haitian and asked him what the local people thought of Royal Caribbean at Labadee. He had nothing but positive things to say. Royal Caribbean has invested in both the infrastructure and people in that part of Haiti. Seriously if you are worried about Labadee then don't book a Caribbean cruise that goes there or might go there. It is simple. I don't get why people want to piss on Labadee when they can easily avoid it.Royal Caribbean is going to do what Royal Caribbean is going to do. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Like I said earlier, Columbus Cove is a better beach. I hope the water taxi comes back.

Barefoot Beach was my favorite beach before it became a suite beach. It was the farthest from where the tenders docked and so also the least crowded as cruise passengers are kind of lazy and don't like to walk far. Since the tenders docked by Columbus it was then a more crowded beach and the tenders were kind of noisy. Columbus Cove is now the farthest and best of the beaches because of the dock.Passengers get off the ship and plop down at the worst beach, rocky Adrenaline under a noisy zip line. For years Adrenaline was not open for swimming and signs were posted sayng warning jelly fish. Eek.  The food at Barefoot is definitly a step up, We rented a cabana one year. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, topnole said:

So what exactly is the reason for them not going to Labadee for all this time?   

There is a lot of talk on this thread about there being no threat to passengers and that it is paranoia to think otherwise.  To that I say it isn’t inconceivable that significant risks could exist.  I know nothing about the local situation, but I do know they aren’t going for a reason.  What exactly is it?.....

Your post makes you seem paranoid.  Maybe you should avoid all itineraries that include stops at Labadee.  

I did not say there was no damage to the island.  I indicated that it was not taken over by the citizens of Haiti as reported by a crew member.  The two are not the same.  To my knowledge, RC never made public what was happening on the island during the pause in cruising.  Was there limited staff keeping things in order, was it abandoned and wild life and Mother Nature took over?   If armed groups were targeting the island, a take over could have happened by now.  Labadee has been a port stop for years.  Contrary to the belief of some on CC, Haiti is not over runned by armed criminals.  

As I mentioned, perhaps it was a phased approached to opening.  Perfect Day is probably more of a money maker and made more sense to open first.  

Edited by crusinthrough
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Your post makes you seem paranoid.  Maybe you should avoid all itineraries that include stops at Labadee.  

I did not say there was no damage to the island.  I indicated that it was not taken over by the citizens of Haiti as reported by a crew member.  The two are not the same.  To my knowledge, RC never made public what was happening on the island during the pause in cruising.  Was there limited staff keeping things in order, was it abandoned and wild life and Mother Nature took over?   If armed groups were targeting the island, a take over could have happened by now.  Labadee has been a port stop for years.  Contrary to the belief of some on CC, Haiti is not over runned by armed criminals.  

As I mentioned, perhaps it was a phased approached to opening.  Perfect Day is probably more of a money maker and made more sense to open first.  

Paranoid?   For asking why they stopped going?   Lol.  Do you know the definition of that word?   

I have no idea why they stopped and apparently you don’t either since you are just speculating.  

12 hours ago, topnole said:

Is that new or always been there?

Looks your question is partially answered below.

11 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Nothing like linking to an ambulance-chasing article from 2016.

3 hours ago, topnole said:

I have no idea why they stopped and apparently you don’t either since you are just speculating.  

They obviously stopped going because of the pandemic, when all cruises stopped.  

I could make a list of why the delayed returning but it would just be speculating.

Edited by A&L_Ont

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Food was definitely better on BB.  

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

They obviously stopped going because of the pandemic, when all cruises stopped.  

I could make a list of why the delayed returning but it would just be speculating.

Yeah.  It is pretty clear why the originally stopped.  But people on here are hilarious and it is reasonable to wonder why they haven’t been back to Labadee yet.  

Those who speculate it was a safety issue due to unrest are labeled scaredy-cats or even nefarious (not sure the word applies in any way, but I didn’t say it).  Now this joker calls me paranoid and takes it upon himself to make recommendations on whether I should select a cruise to Labadee.  

All I did was ask a question about what is going on there?   Did I express fear of Labadee in my comment?   Did I say the local took over, don’t go?  Nope.  And even if someone was fearful of going to Haiti, would that make them paranoid?  Is there any history in Haiti that might form those thoughts.  If so, that isn’t paranoia.  That would be more like risk adverse behavior.  Some folks may prefer not to go somewhere where armed guards and barbed wire fence are needed to protect the property.  That doesn’t make them paranoid.  It never ceases to amaze me how many ignorant comments get posted from people who think they are really smart.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yeah.  It is pretty clear why the originally stopped.

All I did was ask a question about what is going on there?    

I could give my reasoning to why they hadn't returned to this point but would you actually be interested?  In all honestly only RC knows and maybe some locals.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I could give my reasoning to why they hadn't returned to this point but would you actually be interested or just brush it off as speculation?  In all honestly only RC knows and maybe some locals.

Of Course I’m interested in others opinions.  I haven’t speculated one way or the other on any of this and have always said I don’t know what is going on. But anyone who belittles others for their speculation, while simultaneously speculating, cracks me up.  So much hypocrisy here.  

I have no dog in the fight (with by would I) nor do I care what any anonymous ignorant person calls me.  But I do understand why some assume all is good and I also understand why some might have some concerns.  

I’m not cruising in the next couple months so I have no fear on any of this.  By the time my next cruise happens it will be late spring and either all hell will have broken loose or all will be fine for a while.  I don’t even think we are scheduled to go there, but I’m hoping it changes and we do because I’ve always loved Labadee.  

On 1/18/2022 at 11:42 AM, Charles4515 said:

Getting the local workers vaccinated definitely could be one of the reasons. 

As for rocky beaches those are only on one side of Labadee. The beaches on the side the dock is on Nellies Beach, Colunbus Cove and Barefoot Beach (the suite beach)  are not rocky.  Columbus Cove, the beach which is the farthest from the dock is the best and a pretty nice beach. If people don't want to walk there is a tram.

I only wish the nice (i.e., non-rocky) beaches had decent waves!  I love a nice beach with big waves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Perhaps, but they're so much fun!

I agree.  I remember being in Cabo at an all inclusive.  The waves in the Pacific were so dark blue down there (relative to Cali) and beautiful, but entering the water on that stretch of the beach was strictly forbidden due to significant risk of drowning.  It was weird being on the beach but not being able to go near the water.  

Always enjoyed surfing the varying beaches around LA, but I’m a total novice.  Those waves command respect and they darn sure earned respect from me.  Pretty sure I came close to dying one time.  I have no idea how the pros surf those monsters around the globe.